Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Returning after long absence

Options
  • 19-03-2013 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi, returning to the gym after a three year absence but not sure how I should approach training this time round. Previously I adopted a very simple routine which involved bench, squat and deadlift (5/3/1 program). Liked it because it meant I didn't spend a lot of time in the gym and it was extremely easy to follow. This program still popular/respected out there or is there something better for me to try?

I had a few injuries that kept me out since then, mainly a bit of lower back pain. Had a MRI scan and everything showed up as being ok. My back still niggles a tiny little bit now and then but that probably shouldn't surprise me since I haven't given it enough attention. Picked up a foam roller a few weeks back and I'm hoping that improves things in that department. But the thought of squatting and deadlifting scares me, but I really want to do these lifts.

Point of thread? Em, anyone else take a good long break and go back? How was it? Main tip would be to take it extremely easy for the first few weeks?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 benbobb

Anybody?

Would you recommend returning to 5/3/1 or should I avoid deadlifting and squatting completely? If so, that will suck big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Thud

if you have a dodgy back ask your physio if you can do the lifts again and then get some coaching to make sure you are doing them right.

and yes the compound lifts are still highly regarded but you can add some accessory exercises (chinups, pullups, rows etc) to keep it interesting

Advertisement