Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Foam Roller, Grid Roller, Or Rumble Roller

• 06-02-2013 10:52am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭

I have never used a Roller in my life.

Should I start off with the Foam one to get used to it? Some of the reviews on Amazon suggest this.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Grid. For sure. You can vary the levels of resistance by manipulating body position, you don't need a softer one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Ant11

I have never used a Roller in my life.

Should I start off with the Foam one to get used to it? Some of the reviews on Amazon suggest this.

Get a grid foam roller like these. You'll only ever have to buy one, they never lose shape and are a vital piece of equipment for anyone who cares about their training. Them cheap foam rollers you get in Elverys fall apart after a few months.

Edit: photo didn't attach so here's a link http://www.mcsport.ie/the-grid-foam-roller/p-phygrdopd.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Hardonraging

Ant11 wrote: »
    Get a grid foam roller like these. You'll only ever have to buy one, they never lose shape and are a vital piece of equipment for anyone who cares about their training. Them cheap foam rollers you get in Elverys fall apart after a few months.

Edit: photo didn't attach so here's a link http://www.mcsport.ie/the-grid-foam-roller/p-phygrdopd.html

I picked up one of these after I spotted Dom and Hanley recommending them, Expect to be in a heap after using them, but they are fantastic ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Zamboni

66 quid for a chunk of cylindrical plastic.

#justsayin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭Plastik

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Zamboni wrote: »

#justsayin

Yeah and McSport are usually so reasonable.... NAAAAAAAWT. It's frickin' €70 in elverys. BUT, tbh knowing what I know now about them, I'd still pay that.

I've 7 of them and have never paid more than €50 per unit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Got mine from here two years ago delivered to the door for <€45
    Just checked and they're still the same price now as they were then.
    http://www.runjunk.com/the-grid-foam-roller.aspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,826 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Zamboni wrote: »

#justsayin

Wavvin pipe for me......though it did never fix a dodgy knee!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 384 ✭✭connollys

Functional Training Ireland have them for €36 in Longford, I know they have another gym in Dublin but dunno if they sell them there. Was sickened when I seen it cause I paid €50 for mine

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭robocode

€50 for the Grid from Irishfit. I use it daily and think it's great. I also have the black Rumble Roller which I use daily. I find the rumble roller great for digging in to my upper back whereas the Grid is brilliant for working my legs. I also went for the Kelly Starrett 'double lacrosse ball' and find it really helps open up my thoracic spine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭baz15

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Noobish question,

How do you use them? in work so I cant really have a look on youtube of people playing with pipes!

Those blues one aren't the actual 'Grid' rollers people praise. They do, however, look like really good imitations for a really good price. Hard to argue with that!

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭baz15

I have never bought a foam roller before, however I have read about the benefits and was thinking of getting one in Elverys, think they are about 15 euro. Just wondering if the blue one on ebay might be better, what is the difference between the foam ones and the hard ones, do they both have the benefits?

They both have benefits but the cheaper ones can lose their shape over time (so I'm told) and consequently become less effective. Ones like the Grid and maybe that blue one (I haven't used this one) keep their shape pretty much indefinitely since they have a solid core (like wavin pipe) as opposed to being all foam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

I haven't used the rumble roller, it looks a bit flimsy?

However, Grid >>> Foam roller, worth the extra cost imo.

I wouldn't call the rumble roller flimsy. I have the black one which is really stiff, great for digging into the muscles of the upper back and the glutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Ant11

Noobish question,

How do you use them? in work so I cant really have a look on youtube of people playing with pipes!

Stick your body on the roller and move up and down.

Seriously though your better off watching the videos when you have time. Hanley covers different body parts and how to roll them on his page. Transform has the same. Both their mobility tutorials are v handy too.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭themacdaddy

robocode wrote: »
    They both have benefits but the cheaper ones can lose their shape over time (so I'm told)

That is true, there are two of the cheaper foam rollers in my gym. One of them has gotten so soft its like a long pillow.

However, I am sure this happens over a long time period, and it gets constant action with the numbers of people in the gym using it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

Pipe wrapped in old carpet or a yoga mat works nicely as well. Cover it in tape and it last ages

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

grid roller FTW

Had some issues with the grid 'type' rollers cracking from physioneeds (they were getting serious daily use i might add) so try to get the official ones if you can

Those foam ones are not worth a sh1te and your hand or a stick could do a better job

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Dexters16

Transform wrote: »
    grid roller FTW

Had some issues with the grid 'type' rollers cracking from physioneeds (they were getting serious daily use i might add) so try to get the official ones if you can

Those foam ones are not worth a sh1te and your hand or a stick could do a better job

Where's the best spot online to pick one up??

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭diegowhite

Transform wrote: »
    grid roller FTW

ditto, I cracked my physioneeds one too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

I got a grid roller 3 years ago

still in pristine condition, despite A LOT of use.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,569 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Hanley wrote: »
    Grid. For sure. You can vary the levels of resistance by manipulating body position, you don't need a softer one.

+1 to this

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭Not a person

I ended up buying a grid roller (trigger point v2) arrived yesterday.

I had a bit of a roll around just there.

Heard a cracking noise.

I ended up buying a grid roller (trigger point v2) arrived yesterday.

I had a bit of a roll around just there.

Heard a cracking noise.

in your muscle?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭Not a person

nice_guy80 wrote: »

in your muscle?
    Na, in the actual roller..

• Advertisement

i'd say it was just getting used to pressure being applied to it

Advertisement