Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ballyhoura trails?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

booooonzo wrote: »
    However, even though we are behind Scotland, Wales and NI in MTB terms they also had the same issues with the forestry in their beginnings.It won't change overnight, unfortunately.

While I agree with the sentiment of what you are saying...

I'll add the fact that mountain biking on Coillte lands has been going on for over 25 years in Ireland...And we are not much further in terms of progressing with the development of MTB'ing in that time...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 478 ✭✭booooonzo

With regards trail center Vs natural, you will always have that debate/preference.

Unfortunately(or not) due to our weather we need hard packed trails to be sustainable and viable (as previously mention, maintenance needs to be considered)

However, this shouldn't need to take away from flow and fun!
    I personally don't think an irish trail center has achieved this perfectly yet but we hope to change that with a big focus on flow and fun and allowing the rider to dictate their own speed and beeing able to use the trail in exciting ways.

if you were at the EWS you would see how a good rider can make what appears like a boring bit of trail exciting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,483 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Coiltie badly need to put a bit of effort into the Ballinastoe trails. They've really worn down over the last couple of years.
    I live local to Ballinastoe, and there is talk from the local politicians about further developing the trails, citing what's happening in the North, Scotland and Wales. Talk is cheap, but at least they're beginning to cop it for the potential it may have. In fairness to them, one of the other things there were pushing over the winter (a greenway around Vartry Reservoir) is progressing between the community council/ PURE/ tidy towns (not sure of the impact of the politicians).

I'm not doing it long enough to know how, or whether, Ballinastoe has declined - it seems ok to me as a beginner anyway, and over the winter/ spring any tree's that fell and blocked trails were cleared fairly quick!

Just to point out as it's been mentioned a few times, mountain biking (along with horse riding) is banned from Djouce woods. Actually, i think that stands for anything other than the specified recreation sites!

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    While I agree with the sentiment of what you are saying...

I'll add the fact that mountain biking on Coillte lands has been going on for over 25 years in Ireland...And we are not much further in terms of progressing with the development of MTB'ing in that time...

sadly you're right but it has remained (been forced) underground for most of that time.

It's been like that because mountain bikers want to bike and not organise.
    but we need to organise as a collective to show we're not just messers who love giving out.

Cycling Ireland have been useless for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

booooonzo wrote: »
    sadly you're right but it has remained (been forced) underground for most of that time.
    It's been like that because mountain bikers want to bike and not organise.
    but we need to organise as a collective to show we're not just messers who love giving out.Cycling Ireland have been useless for us.

Would not say that at all, if you know the history of MTB'ing and access rights to the outdoors.

Anyways, it's a whole can of worms and best left to another forum.. :)

we'll yes, it's a bit of a sweeping statement and I know a lot of work was put into negotiating that was thrown in peoples faces etc.. but i meant it targeted at bikers as a whole...

but yes ..off topic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,483 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I live local to Ballinastoe, and there is talk from the local politicians about further developing the trails, citing what's happening in the North, Scotland and Wales. Talk is cheap, but at least they're beginning to cop it for the potential it may have. In fairness to them, one of the other things there were pushing over the winter (a greenway around Vartry Reservoir) is progressing between the community council/ PURE/ tidy towns (not sure of the impact of the politicians).

Saved the free sheet from the recycling bin, if anyone's interested...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭tipparetops

Coillte just want to cut down the trees and that is it.
    Walkers,push bikes, quads, motorbikes, poachers, illegal dumping, they do not care.

The best thing cyclists can do is build your own tracks/paths, say nowt to Coillte, Coillte would prefer it that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Coillte just want to cut down the trees and that is it.
    Walkers,push bikes, quads, motorbikes, poachers, illegal dumping, they do not care.

The best thing cyclists can do is build your own tracks/paths, say nowt to Coillte, Coillte would prefer it that way.

Until someone injures themselves on those trails, takes Coillte to court, and they rip up all the work done, which brings us back to post #1 of this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Tony Beetroot

Are these the same trails that munster 4x4 use?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

rizzodun wrote: »
    Until someone injures themselves on those trails, takes Coillte to court, and they rip up all the work done, which brings us back to post #1 of this thread.

A lot of those trails have been around for years. With a lot of the ones I've seen, it soon becomes quite clear whether or not you have the skills to ride them and you also have to do a fair bit of exploring to find them. A friend was cycling st Ticknock for months and had no idea there were so many trails there, thought it was pretty much just Metro.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Biopace

Are these the same trails that munster 4x4 use?

Most of the Munster 4x4 trails are a good distance away, pretty sure most of these are unaffected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭tipparetops

rizzodun wrote: »

Coillte will never agree to bike baths. the woods near me young cyclists have done their own paths, ramps. They did a good job, but Coillte have not sanctioned it.
    coillte are not liable for illegal use of the woods, that is why they do not care.

Advertisement