Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Depop and Bloggers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I'm not interested in bitching about bloggers or slagging them off just for the sake of it. What I want is a thread where we can come and hash out some of our concerns in a diplomatic way. I don't think there's anything wrong with that. I'm not interested in dissing their clothes or make up. I'm more interested in how honest they are and it's nice to know that others have concerns too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I've actually found that unfollowing makes life easier. I've unfollowed many now on snapchat but still follow on fb or instagram. Was strange for a day but now I don't miss them. At least with fb or insta I can click on their page when I want to know what's going on, but with snapchat, I didn't enjoy wading through loads of snaps and stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Jbossie

anna080 wrote: »
    I'm not interested in bitching about bloggers or slagging them off just for the sake of it. What I want is a thread where we can come and hash out some of our concerns in a diplomatic way. I don't think there's anything wrong with that. I'm not interested in dissing their clothes or make up. I'm more interested in how honest they are and it's nice to know that others have concerns too.
    I agree I know it's easy to unfollow as everyone keeps saying but when your kids ect follow them
    And think they are amazing and honest then it's a concern the way they carry on now with the product placements ect I've noticed a few now saying I got this I'll let you know how I get on with it and do a review of items they are sent its an improvement but it's still like advertising instead of saying I got this and that I'll review they should not show the item until they've used it for a while and then review it or say I got this go to my Blog I've posted a review ..... lately hampers of chocolate are being flashed all over snapchat again free advertising what is the point in saying they got chocolate it's absolutely sponsored and that's where the problem lies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

doireannod wrote: »
    But why are we allowed to name politicians, tv personalities, football players and Irish models? Holly Carpenter and Rosanna Davison have been hung out to dry on other threads. But as soon as a blogger is named everyone gets upset. I don't get that. I should just stick to GOMI.

The reason why I do not like the naming of bloggers or individuals is because it quickly gets personal, with accusations of fraud, lying etc. These are serious accusations to make about an individual and should not be made in a public forum without proof.

If you want to discuss this further, please PM me or one of the other F&A mods. Or we can have a feedback thread to discuss further. However, I do not want to continue to clutter up the thread with this discussion.

dudara

When they do giveaways are they giving away stuff that they've already tried and used? Ew

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

When they do giveaways are they giving away stuff that they've already tried and used? Ew

I don't think so; I've seen snapchats where bloggers buy two of a product - one to keep and one to give away. Or the giveaway item might have been a spare freebie from a PR company. That's my understanding of it anyway.

Blog sales are a different matter; some products have often been swatched or used. They say they've disinfected them but I wouldn't purchase regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭ameliams

Some giveaways are done in conjunction with a brand.
    Lesser known makeup artists trying to create a following put quite a bit of cash into giveaways. Giving away mac, urban decay etc.
    Lots of the others are essentially doing a spring clean of stuff they just don't want.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭dashdoll

Some of the giveaways I've seen from a few Irish beauty bloggers is absolute crap to be honest.

A pile of cheap makeup samples which they clearly wouldn't want to use themselves....no thanks.

Might appeal to 15 year old's but that's about it I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Taboola

dashdoll wrote: »

Might appeal to 15 year old's but that's about it I'd say.
    That's their target audience. Well, mostly.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 422 ✭✭LeeLooLee

I don't really see the issue. People put up their items for a certain price. Nobody has to buy them. I use a lot of clothes apps and if I think something is too expensive, I don't buy it. Do people really need to have their hands held to this extent?

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭onthemitch

LeeLooLee wrote: »
    I don't really see the issue. People put up their items for a certain price. Nobody has to buy them. I use a lot of clothes apps and if I think something is too expensive, I don't buy it. Do people really need to have their hands held to this extent?

Have to say I 100% agree. If I buy a €5 top in Penneys and said top sells out, and someone wants to give me €20 for it on an app like depop, isn't that just how capitalism works? Supply and demand. There's nothing 'shady' or 'unethical' about buying something for x and selling it for 3x, or else, like, the world wouldn't work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

onthemitch wrote: »
    Have to say I 100% agree. If I buy a €5 top in Penneys and said top sells out, and someone wants to give me €20 for it on an app like depop, isn't that just how capitalism works? Supply and demand. There's nothing 'shady' or 'unethical' about buying something for x and selling it for 3x, or else, like, the world wouldn't work.

There is when you won't tell the buyer where the top was purchased or state what it was originally purchased for.
    For the record, the dress was still available online for €14 when it was sold for €45.
    If there's total transparency then it's upto to consumer whether they want to pay that kind of money of that specific item or not.
    But it absolutely is shady as hell when the seller won't tell you where it was purchased (despite being asked) and doesn't disclose the original price.
    I think the people who don't agree with this (myself included) aren't happy about the lack of disclosure. If she had told people where it was from and how much it was, I would have just thought to myself 'that buyer is an idiot for paying that price' and moved on.

If your customer base is impressionable and broke teenagers then yes it is shady. You have a moral responsibility Rosemary whether you like to admit it or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭rustyzip

I remember last summer there was big thing with bloggers being sent designer sunglasses. A certain big blogger (now living in USA) posted a pic of her amazing sunglasses and how much she loved them blah blah.. then she sold them (for a tidy sum) on depop. She deleted the sale and pic a few weeks later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 ailish92

Can someone please pm me the name of this blogger ? I can take a guess but just want to be sure :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Shadylou

Can someone pm me the name please? Have a makeup mad daughter who's just started looking at all these blogs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Please do not clog up this thread with requests for the name of the blogger.

dudara

Shadylou wrote: »
    Can someone pm me the name please? Have a makeup mad daughter who's just started looking at all these blogs

Serious question: what were you planning on doing? Telling her that there are people in the world who sell things – gasp – at a profit?! I'm so confused by everyone's ire about this.

If your customer base is impressionable and broke teenagers then yes it is shady. You have a moral responsibility Rosemary whether you like to admit it or not.

A moral responsibility... to what? NOT make profits? I'm sorry, but you actually have no responsibility whatsoever to disclose where you bought something that you're selling secondhand on a shopping app. People have a CHOICE – not to buy those things if they don't know their provenance. I would say, in fact, that you have a responsibility to know what you're buying, and where it comes from, more than the seller does to disclose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I think she did her a favour, that money would be probably spent on drugs and alcohol.

• Advertisement

Serious question: what were you planning on doing? Telling her that there are people in the world who sell things – gasp – at a profit?! I'm so confused by everyone's ire about this.

As a parent, it is my responsibility to keep an eye on what she does. I don't know much about this so would like to be aware of what's going on. It's better to be safe than sorry when it comes to these type of things, no need for the sarcasm

A moral responsibility... to what? NOT make profits? I'm sorry, but you actually have no responsibility whatsoever to disclose where you bought something that you're selling secondhand on a shopping app. People have a CHOICE – not to buy those things if they don't know their provenance. I would say, in fact, that you have a responsibility to know what you're buying, and where it comes from, more than the seller does to disclose.

Would you not feel shafted if someone you looked up to as an honest blogger and digital influencer willingly sold you something for double the sale price knowing full well they were exploiting you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

I don't understand the outrage about bloggers selling stuff on depop. What's wrong with people selling off there wares and making some money. Look at what happened when designers like Balmain/ Stella McCarthy designed for H&M people bought the clothes and sold them from higher prices on eBay.
    Remember when Victoria beckham donated a load of her clothes to a charity shop ? Sold out within in minutes only for them to go up on eBay later that day for triple the price. How are they different from bloggers who want to make some money? Look at touters who mark up the price for sold out concerts and matches. Objective is make money. It's supply and demand and it's up to the person to decide if they want to buy it or not.
    Look at gumtree, done deal, eBay after Christmas and you see loads of unwanted gifts that people got for free but want to sell on. It seems people are just venting about bloggers for the sake of it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

groovyg wrote: »
    I don't understand the outrage about bloggers selling stuff on depop. What's wrong with people selling off there wares and making some money. Look at what happened when designers like Balmain/ Stella McCarthy designed for H&M people bought the clothes and sold them from higher prices on eBay.
    Remember when Victoria beckham donated a load of her clothes to a charity shop ? Sold out within in minutes only for them to go up on eBay later that day for triple the price. How are they different from bloggers who want to make some money? Look at touters who mark up the price for sold out concerts and matches. Objective is make money. It's supply and demand and it's up to the person to decide if they want to buy it or not.
    Look at gumtree, done deal, eBay after Christmas and you see loads of unwanted gifts that people got for free but want to sell on. It seems people are just venting about bloggers for the sake of it.

I don't think that people have a problem with selling on Depop in general, at least that's not how I read it, it's the hiding of the source of the item so nobody could research the item and try buy off the original site or compare prices and then selling for a huge profit. All of your examples allow the buyer to already know how much the original item was and where it came from. It's subtle and unnecessary deception. I'd have no problem if the blogger had said this dress is from Misguided and is €15 on there but I'm selling it for €50 on Depop. She obviously would find it harder to get a buyer but could still do if the dress had sold out on the website. Honesty isn't that difficult of a concept.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

I know a beauty blogger who donates all her earnings from Depop to charity (allegedly but it isn't widely stated) so I wouldn't be too quick to judge everyone on Depop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭scarbouro

I don't think that people have a problem with selling on Depop in general, at least that's not how I read it, it's the hiding of the source of the item so nobody could research the item and try buy off the original site or compare prices and then selling for a huge profit. All of your examples allow the buyer to already know how much the original item was and where it came from. It's subtle and unnecessary deception. I'd have no problem if the blogger had said this dress is from Misguided and is €15 on there but I'm selling it for €50 on Depop. She obviously would find it harder to get a buyer but could still do if the dress had sold out on the website. Honesty isn't that difficult of a concept.

100% agree. That's exactly what it's about. Ignoring people when they're asking where she purchased the item on her social media (this is from a blogger who apparently prides herself on replying to her followers..) but then has no problem replying to someone who wants to actually purchase it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭PinkLemonade

Luno wrote: »
    I know a beauty blogger who donates all her earnings from Depop to charity (allegedly but it isn't widely stated) so I wouldn't be too quick to judge everyone on Depop.

Is she selling PR samples?

And then you don't buy the bloody dress. Is this so hard to gasp. You can't blame someone who is selling stuff for the stupidity of the purchaser. There is duplicitous behavior, this wasn't, it was just lack of information. She didn't lie how much she paid for a dress or where she got it. She probably didn't do herself any favors because now people will think twice before they buy something from her. As they should when buying anything.

Your purposely avoiding addressing the specific example given of a blogger advertising a dress, refusing to disclose where the dress was from, and then selling it on for a sizable profit even though it is still available to buy new.

Anyone who thinks that's okay is pretty deceitful in my opinion.

Surely the onus is on the purchaser to do some research and ask where the dress is from, brand etc instead of just buying it straight away.

• Advertisement

Surely the onus is on the purchaser to do some research and ask where the dress is from, brand etc instead of just buying it straight away.

But they did ask, the blogger didn't respond

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

I think the issue people have though is that the people were asking and weren't getting replies. It came across as the blogger being devious.

But they did ask, the blogger didn't respond

And then you don't buy. What is so hard to comprehend here.

meeeeh wrote: »

Still doesn't erase the issue that the blogger is being deceptive.

No she was not. Someone decided to buy a dress without having any proper information. As far as I know no false information was provided.

There is a point when people do have to take responsibility for their own actions.

Why can't you comprehend that most people would consider that a sh*tty thing to do? -especially when a lot of their followers are young and impressionable

Why can't you comprehend that most people would consider that a sh*tty thing to do? -especially when a lot of their followers are young and impressionable

Oh give me a break with young and impressionable. If they can handle their own money, if they are old enough to use sites like that then they are responsible for their own spending.

Oh give me a break with young and impressionable. If they can handle their own money, if they are old enough to use sites like that then they are responsible for their own spending.

A fool and his money is easily parted hey? What a charming attitude

Why does it matter how people spend their money? Seriously its personal responsibility. Look at all the designer handbags up for sale on websites - its up to the purchaser to decide if its real or a fake and if they are willing to pay the price for the goods. Go around Henry street at Christmas and see the fools and their money buying fake designer make up and perfume I would consider them far more dodge / deceptive than some blogger who marks up the price of a dress on depop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭ally_pally

It's no huge surprise that she doesn't get it – hers is a confusion shared by a whole host of “online influencers” and celebrities alike. Disagree with what they do or how they do it – or, worse, express the fact that you think they're a bit tacky / clueless / ignorant – and the word “shaming” is quickly tacked on to whatever horse they can hitch their wagon to.

As humans, we are thoughtful, critical beings – and if you're making your living from appealing to the public, whether as a blogger or a reality TV star, you've got to expect your adoring public to speak up every now and again.

It doesn't mean we're trying to “shame” you; we're just not buying what you're selling. It's called customer feedback – and sometimes, it might be worth taking it on board.

Not my words, but your own, Rosemary, from today’s Independent. You'd do well to remember them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

ally_pally wrote: »
    It's no huge surprise that she doesn't get it – hers is a confusion shared by a whole host of “online influencers” and celebrities alike. Disagree with what they do or how they do it – or, worse, express the fact that you think they're a bit tacky / clueless / ignorant – and the word “shaming” is quickly tacked on to whatever horse they can hitch their wagon to.

As humans, we are thoughtful, critical beings – and if you're making your living from appealing to the public, whether as a blogger or a reality TV star, you've got to expect your adoring public to speak up every now and again.

It doesn't mean we're trying to “shame” you; we're just not buying what you're selling. It's called customer feedback – and sometimes, it might be worth taking it on board.

Not my words, but your own, Rosemary, from today’s Independent. You'd do well to remember them.

How is what Rosemary said in the Independent related to someone selling something on depop?
    It's sad to see people just signing up to boards to take a pop at Rosemary.

The blogger most people are irked about put up something for sale on depop. She didn't disclose where the item was from or how much it originally cost and sold it for a profit. This is bad form IMO but nobody forced the buyer to buy the item.

If I buy something in Harvey Normans and then walk by Currys and see the same item for 20e less. Who's fault is that? Should Harvey Norman have told me that I could get it cheaper in Currys?

I don't get how this has anything at all to do with this particular conversation. I think that online influencers should learn to take criticism, yes, and stop accusing people of "hating" or "shaming".

I ALSO think that, if someone buys something for X amount and sells it for 2X amount online, well, that's life. I get the point that some people think it's "sneaky" to avoid questions asking where it's from but, y'know, sneakiness isn't a sin. It wouldn't make me particularly like the person in question, but it wouldn't send me immediately complaining to an online forum shouting, how VERY dare they and WHAT ABOUT THE CHILDREN.

Oh my God! Hilarious – I just realised you joined boards today, especially to quote my own article back at me, out of context, with a weird kind of warning at the end. I love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭ally_pally

Avoiding questions from clearly devoted followers about where an item is from and selling it for two or three times the cost isn't illegal, but it is shady and my respect for anyone who would do that or who thinks it's ok would plummet. A mother with a probably young and impressionable daughter posted here expressing concern and your response was essentially "tough". You can dismiss it as hysterical "won't somebody think of the children", but I think her concerns are valid.

And as for quoting your own words back to you. Yes, they're out of context, but if you honestly don't see the irony in what you're saying, well... Well then I'm glad I made you laugh at least. ;)

I think her concerns are valid.

How, exactly? What do you – or the mother in question, for that matter – think will happen this child if he / she sees a blogger they follow profiting from selling something online?

And, oh, the irony defence: "If you don't see how that's ironic [wry smile], well, I'm glad I made you laugh."

I'd love you to explain how your interpretation of my piece has any bearing whatsoever on this current conversation but, y'know, no bother if you can't.

Apparently because it's not a sin to be sneaky, then it's okay?

There's a term 'Business Ethics', I'm sure a few people here aren't very familiar with it.

• Advertisement

Apparently because it's not a sin to be sneaky, then it's okay?

There's a term 'Business Ethics', I'm sure a few people here aren't very familiar with it.

Supermarkets are sneaky and do it all the time - look at all the special offers that are not really special offers.

Supermarkets are sneaky and do it all the time - look at all the special offers that are not really special offers.

Who's trusts supermarkets? And consumer watch dogs are cracking down on supermarkets doing this.

It just seems like such an idiotic short sighted thing to do if your a blogger. Are they not aware how fragile their reputation is?

How, exactly? What do you – or the mother in question, for that matter – think will happen this child if he / she sees a blogger they follow profiting from selling something online?

And, oh, the irony defence: "If you don't see how that's ironic [wry smile], well, I'm glad I made you laugh."

I'd love you to explain how your interpretation of my piece has any bearing whatsoever on this current conversation but, y'know, no bother if you can't.

I can see you did not read my posts about my daughter. I simply wanted the name of the blogger as I do not read blogs and wanted to familiarise myself with them and then make up my own mind with an informed decision. As a mother with a pre teen daughter i am understandably wary of this blogging phenomenon and want to get as much info as I can.

Bloggers need to realise THEY are putting THEMSELVES in the public eye and their target market is teenagers /young adults and that does get younger as my daughter has friends with older sisters who follow these bloggers religiously on snapchat and instagram and that does influence my daughters friends and then my daughter even if they are younger than the market the blogger thinks they are reaching

Shadylou wrote: »
    I can see you did not read my posts about my daughter. I simply wanted the name of the blogger as I do not read blogs and wanted to familiarise myself with them and then make up my own mind with an informed decision. As a mother with a pre teen daughter i am understandably wary of this blogging phenomenon and want to get as much info as I can.

Bloggers need to realise THEY are putting THEMSELVES in the public eye and their target market is teenagers /young adults and that does get younger as my daughter has friends with older sisters who follow these bloggers religiously on snapchat and instagram and that does influence my daughters friends and then my daughter even if they are younger than the market the blogger thinks they are reaching

You are not allowed to name bloggers on Boards see this post in another thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=99063993&postcount=181
    There have been lots of threads on Boards about bloggers, locked because people have been naming and criticising bloggers.

You are not allowed to name bloggers on Boards see this post in another thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=99063993&postcount=181
    There have been lots of threads on Boards about bloggers, locked because people have been naming and criticising bloggers.

Which was why I asked for it to be sent via pm

• Advertisement
Advertisement