Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby names!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Padd2

ivy or indy for a girl

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭BarraOG

What do you think of the boys name "Iarla"?

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭dizzymiss

Theodore. Teddy for short.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

BarraOG wrote: »
    What do you think of the boys name "Iarla"?

I knew a girl called Iarla once. Can't say I'm a fan myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 SuperTed!

Christ picking names is rough aul going and we aren't due till January! Some of mine for a girl are Isabella, Robyn, Juliette and Abigal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭nuttykat

I like iarla for a boy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

SuperTed! wrote: »
    Christ picking names is rough aul going and we aren't due till January! Some of mine for a girl are Isabella, Robyn, Juliette and Abigal

+1!!!

I like Alex for a boy
    For a girl I like Mollie,Lexie or Cara
    But I know that it will change many many times by then!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭bobskii

I actually heard a man call out Alex the other day to his kid .when I turned to look she was a pretty little blonde girl . i thought the name was lovely for either.

What do you think of the name "Séamaí"? Any other ways to spell it in Irish?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

What do you think of the name "Séamaí"? Any other ways to spell it in Irish?

I know an adult Seamie and he spells it like that, but he was christened Seamus. I like Iarla for a boy as well. Not for a girl though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Karmella

Trying to decide on names for a second boy, and for the laugh I asked my 3.5 year old the other day what his brother's name is going to be. And he said Alex. :-) I don't really know where it came from because as far as I know there are no kids in his crèche with that name, and he hasn't been read any books or seen tv show/films with a character that has the name. Now, he does have a first cousin with the same name, but he's only met him a couple of times and he is a lot older (12/13).

Its a pity the name is already taken as I do like it.

Other names we are thinking about are Leon, Oscar, Luke (this one is way too popular though), and Rory is one that popped into my head this week. Dad likes Dexter aswell but I'm not so sure. Sure it can go on the list anyway. We won't make a decision until we see the little man anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Isolt

What about Simba? :D

Simba is a real name. Real people have been called Simba long before The Lion King.

There are many Nala's in the world. There are even a few here in Ireland. Although maybe for many people here the only time they've heard this name was through that movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ice Storm

Simba is the Swahili word for lion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

Love Heidi for a girl at the no, is it wrong when I'm out I keep ear wigging what people are calling their kids?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭Pipmae

I love Heidi as well.:)

My youngest is Pippa. I've yet to hear of another one (other than the sister of the Duchess).:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Pipmae wrote: »
    I love Heidi as well.:)

My youngest is Pippa. I've yet to hear of another one (other than the sister of the Duchess).:D

Isn't Pippa a nickname for Philippa??

How about Phoenix for a boy??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

Isn't Pippa a nickname for Philippa??

How about Phoenix for a boy??

Yep, Pippa is short for Phillippa :)

What do you think of the name Lúí? It's an alternative spelling for the traditional Irish boy's name Lughaidh. We're trying to find traditional names pronounced the same in English and Irish, which are easy to spell and where the pronunciation is obvious for non Irish speakers. Iarla is another such name. Any other suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Hello Lady!

What do you think of the name Lúí? It's an alternative spelling for the traditional Irish boy's name Lughaidh. We're trying to find traditional names pronounced the same in English and Irish, which are easy to spell and where the pronunciation is obvious for non Irish speakers. Iarla is another such name. Any other suggestions?
    Lovely name but I wouldn't say its obvious to non irish speakers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Lovely name but I wouldn't say its obvious to non irish speakers.

To be honest, I don't know if many native speakers would have come across that one. It looks like 'luí' which is the Irish for lying (down).

• Advertisement

What do you think of the name "Lua" for a boy? Its derived from the name "Lugh", an Irish mythological figure.

Just found these really comprehensive lists of traditional Irish names:

medievalscotland.org/kmo/AnnalsIndex/Feminine/all.shtml
    medievalscotland.org/kmo/AnnalsIndex/Masculine/all.shtml

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

What do you think of the name "Lua" for a boy? Its derived from the name "Lugh", an Irish mythological figure.

I like Lua, I love Iarla though, whiff of ancient royalty of it! (even though we technically didn't have earls.) Oisín is a classic name that everyone is familiar with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Is lúí pronounced like Louis, the frnech name?

pwurple wrote: »
    Is lúí pronounced like Louis, the frnech name?

Yes. This is how Lughaidh is pronounced in Donegal Irish, i.e. luu-ee. In Connemara Lughaidh is pronounced "lua" instead. As far as I can see the spelling Lua was only ever used within the pet-form of Lughaidh, i.e. Mo Lua. The spelling Lúí is listed in the book Irish Names as an alternative spelling for Lughaidh, however this spelling only satisfies the Donegal pronunciation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Yes. This is how Lughaidh is pronounced in Donegal Irish, i.e. luu-ee. In Connemara Lughaidh is pronounced "lua" instead. As far as I can see the spelling Lua was only ever used within the pet-form of Lughaidh, i.e. Mo Lua. The spelling Lúí is listed in the book Irish Names as an alternative spelling for Lughaidh, however this spelling only satisfies the Donegal pronunciation.

Lughaidh is a gorgeous name, and one I've never heard of. I wouldn't be so keen on Lúí, i think it would always be mispronounced as "Loo" or "Lee". And it would be a pain in the arse for him to spell out forever ... "It's L U fada I fada .... yeah, a fada, if you just press CTRL and ALT on your keypad .... no, you need to do them both at the same time ...... yeah, and then, while you're holding them, press the U. No, not the I, not yet. In a minute ..."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Lughaidh is a gorgeous name, and one I've never heard of. I wouldn't be so keen on Lúí, i think it would always be mispronounced as "Loo" or "Lee". And it would be a pain in the arse for him to spell out forever ... "It's L U fada I fada .... yeah, a fada, if you just press CTRL and ALT on your keypad .... no, you need to do them both at the same time ...... yeah, and then, while you're holding them, press the U. No, not the I, not yet. In a minute ..."

I'm the opposite, much prefer the very neat spelling of Lúí over the multiple silent letters in the gh dh version. I thind we can admit neither version is going to be easy for people to spell. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭tishandy

Due in 5 weeks with my third girl and cannot think of a single girls name I want.
    My two daughters already are called Evie and Sadhbh so I want something that doesn't sound alike to those.
    Also I love flowery names like "Rose" "Fearne" and "lily" but my surname is the name of a plant so that rules those out :( .
    I kind of like "Jaime" would she be confused as a boy a lot?

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Karmella

Was in the park yesterday and overheard a girl's name I'd never heard before - it was pronounced Bay-Van ....

Sounds like it is Irish. Certainly very unusual anyway. Didn't like it if I'm honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ice Storm

Karmella wrote: »
    Was in the park yesterday and overheard a girl's name I'd never heard before - it was pronounced Bay-Van ....

Sounds like it is Irish. Certainly very unusual anyway. Didn't like it if I'm honest.
    Maybe it was Beibhinn?

Although I would pronounce it Bevin.

Advertisement