Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband Speed & Ping Test Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Its Only Ray Parlour

3807939173.png

My attainables have improved for some reason:

3818449521.png

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

BArra wrote: »
    had voda fibre installed today:

3817137921.png

synced at 102396/20478

max attainable: 132500 down
    max attainable: 27940 up
    SNR down: 17.4
    SNR up: 13.1
    attenuation down: 7.4
    attenuation up: 2.4
    What an improvement!

Bet you're delighted you finally switched eh? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭BArra

its a big difference alright, the only bottleneck now is the wifi, its only hitting around 45mb on my devices so homeplugs probably needed to take advantage of the full speed. my attainable can do 130mb down, i wonder could i get 120mb profile :/

the vodafone router isnt the best, wifi coverage is worse than a sky hub and its quite locked down unfortunately even logging in with admin settings

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Blitz17

Happy with this :)

3819434790.png

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Alqua

Didn't take a screenshot, but would love to know if anyone has any thoughts on this (not sure if I should've posted in an eircom thread):

Family just 'upgraded' to efibre with eircom, my first time trying it out tonight. Those using it during the week did not notice any difference from the previous eircom BB.

For me, Macbook struggled to connect at all for a start, kept saying there was no IP. Messed around with locations, eventually connected and my cynical self ran 3 speed tests (3 different sites, including eircom's own) and got 3 entirely different upload speeds:
    23MB, 8MB and 6MB(!!!) None of which are anyway near what you'd expect for fibre! At the moment it is painfully slow to load anything.

Yes it is an old building but it's in a town centre location and the old eircom broadband worked just fine (no great speeds but decent). I'm hoping this is just a teething problem but it's not looking good...is it too early to say I am sickened with eircom once again?! Also, the building had a whole new line etc installed and all of the old wiring upgraded in anticipation of getting efibre (the old BB was working fine on this new line also), so they cannot say that is all the line is capable of getting!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭jd

Are you connecting using wifi? What are the router dsl stats re line speed?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭jd

Are you connecting using wifi? What are the router dsl stats re line speed?

Yes am using wifi, though the same laptop works fine with other connections.. The desktop (also using wifi) is faring much better (i.e. actually loading pages in decent time) but certainly no better than it was with the old BB!

All the stats I can find (would be fine if these were actually available!):
    VDSL Port Details Upstream Downstream
    Line Rate: 19.555 Mbps 53.606 Mbps
    Actual Net Data Rate: 19.556 Mbps 53.607 Mbps
    Trellis Coding: ON ON
    SNR Margin: 8.9 dB 9.4 dB
    Actual Delay: 0 ms 0 ms
    Transmit Power: 8.3 dBm 12.6 dBm
    Receive Power: -10.2 dBm -1.1 dBm
    Actual INP: 28.0 symbols 29.0 symbols
    Total Attenuation: 18.5 dB 13.8 dB
    Attainable Net Data Rate: 19.774 Mbps 54.692 Mbps

Edit: I am open to the possibility of there being an issue with the laptop and the new router, but that doesn't explain the general sluggishness..

Connection now ok (slightly slower than our old BB) when using a cable. How could the wifi be so non-existant? Bad modem?

Alqua wrote: »
    Connection now ok (slightly slower than our old BB) when using a cable. How could the wifi be so non-existant? Bad modem?

Can you post a speedtest result of your speeds on WiFi and Ethernet (via cable)?

• Advertisement

Can you post a speedtest result of your speeds on WiFi and Ethernet (via cable)?

Thought I had found the culprit - there was a known issue with efibre wifi on older macs - IPv6 had to be disabled in settings. Did that, enjoyed great wifi speed for a few minutes, but now the signal is just dropping and it won't reconnect to the network at all. Now it says the network has a self-assigned IP and cannot connect.. so can't do a speed test on wifi, as there currently is none!

Really hoping this is some fixable mac issue and not (another) useless modem...

Ethernet currently:
    3825373461.png

Managed to get Wifi on the desktop (so far) - different server but this was the result:
    3825390038.png

Finally some sort of wifi on the laptop - much slower than our old BB, can't remember the speed but the difference is notable (now it works for a few minutes, then starts to crawl, several minutes to load a page):
    3825424822.png

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭engrish?

I got Sky Fiber Broadband, switched over from UPC. I am getting a good download speed according to the ping test but it wont play youtube and netflix. It does eventually - but it buffers constantly!

Download 15.73Mbps
    Upload: 0.92Mbps

I phoned Sky and he said that they might be feeding me too strong a signal. Does that make sense? I had to get Eircom out (through Sky) to fit a new line to the house. They connected the house with a new line from the telephone people outside.

325352.png

Sorry, the above is tiny. Its ping 34ms, 2ms

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

engrish? wrote: »
    I got Sky Broadband, switched from UPC. I am getting a good download speed according to the ping test but it wont play youtube and netflix. It does eventually - but it buffers constantly!

Download 15.73Mbps

I phoned Sky and he said that they might be feeding me too strong a signal. Does that make sense? I had to get Eircom out (through Sky) to fit a new line to the house. They connected the house with a new line from the telephone people outside.

Why did you go from being with probably the fastest BB provider in the country to easily the worst. Don't put up with Sky's rubbish excuses, cancel it straight away and go back to UPC or if eFibre is available go to them.Sky will keep dropping your speed in a vain attempt to increase stability.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Shame about the upload but that's some download!
    I find 10.46 Mb/s quite tolerable after my 0.56 Mb/s upload speed from Eircom!

3834514496.png

Good old UPC just doubled my upload speed. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭engrish?

jca wrote: »
    Why did you go from being with probably the fastest BB provider in the country to easily the worst. Don't put up with Sky's rubbish excuses, cancel it straight away and go back to UPC or if eFibre is available go to them.Sky will keep dropping your speed in a vain attempt to increase stability.

I had seen a few reviews where people were happy and I got a great deal on a TV package with it! Is this a common thing for it to be so poor you can't even watch youtube?

I got Sky Fiber Broadband, switched over from UPC. I am getting a good download speed according to the ping test but it wont play youtube and netflix. It does eventually - but it buffers constantly!

Download 15.73Mbps

325352.png

Sorry, the above is tiny. Its ping 34ms, 2ms

Since when did Sky start offering fibre? Looks like ADSL2+ going by the speeds.

3834514496.png

Good old UPC just doubled my upload speed. :D

Wow, that's great news!

Did they do it for everyone do ye know?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Dimebag16

I can't post images but these are my speedtest results:

Ping: 8ms
    Download Speed: 61.92Mbps
    Upload Speed: 15.93

For some reason tough when I try to watch streams off Twitch and websites like that, I have to watch on low quality because it won't load or it keeps freezing at any higher quality. Anyone have any idea what the problem is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

Dimebag16 wrote: »
    I can't post images but these are my speedtest results:

Ping: 8ms
    Download Speed: 61.92Mbps
    Upload Speed: 15.93

For some reason tough when I try to watch streams off Twitch and websites like that, I have to watch on low quality because it won't load or it keeps freezing at any higher quality. Anyone have any idea what the problem is?

Have you opened the ports for such?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Dimebag16

hallo dare wrote: »
    Have you opened the ports for such?

I haven't checked that and i'll be fit too until tomorrow. But when I first got e-fibre installed I could stream the best quality but the last week or two I have been unable too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

I had seen a few reviews where people were happy and I got a great deal on a TV package with it! Is this a common thing for it to be so poor you can't even watch youtube?

I went through months of pure hell with it. Never again, great tv service but dire BB.

jca wrote: »
    I went through months of pure hell with it. Never again, great tv service but dire BB.

+1

Woeful, woeful broadband but in fairness their customer service is second to none.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Wow, that's great news!

Did they do it for everyone do ye know?

There's a thread here somewhere - others on the 200 MB package seem to have got the doubled upload speed too.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭PeadarB

I've enjoyed a rock solid 100/20 connection since last April. We had adverse weather over the past two days in Letterkenny - heavy rain and lightening. Lot of noise on the phone line which eventually calved.

More surprised with my F1000 stats which have collapsed on the downstream. The TX/RX power markers have gone crazy.
    Upstream SNR has gone through the roof but the downstream has really bottomed out. I rang the eircom tech department and had a funny conversation with a gentleman who was more curious to find out how I had access to the stats than anything else. Upshot of the story "my line is only capable of 40/20 now as the line condition now shows 52Mbps on the downstream". WTF!!!

====================================
    VDSL Training Status: Showtime
    Mode: VDSL2 Annex B
    VDSL Profile: Profile 17a
    Traffic Type: PTM Mode
    Link Uptime: 0 day: 0 hour: 13 minutes
    Line Rate: 20.479 Mbps 43.528 Mbps
    Actual Net Data Rate: 20.480 Mbps 43.529 Mbps
    SNR Margin: 30.4 dB 9.5 dB
    Transmit Power: 7.1 dBm 11.5 dBm
    Receive Power: -6.8 dBm -18.9 dBm
    Actual INP: 29.0 symbols 29.0 symbols
    Total Attenuation: 14.6 dB 30.3 dB
    Attainable Net Data Rate: 53.424 Mbps 43.776 Mbps
    VDSL Band Status U0 U1 U2 U3 D1 D2 D3
    Line Attenuation(dB): 2.7 14.3 21.0 N/A 26.0 34.8 44.1
    Signal Attenuation(dB): 2.7 14.1 21.3 N/A 27.7 34.6 44.1
    SNR Margin(dB): 29.7 31.0 30.1 N/A 9.5 9.5 9.5
    Transmit Power(dBm):- 6.7 2.0 6.3 N/A 8.0 7.8 2.5

My stats were as follows last week and every week since April, with miniscule variations.

=====================================
    VDSL Training Status: Showtime
    Mode: VDSL2 Annex B
    VDSL Profile: Profile 17a
    Traffic Type: PTM Mode
    Link Uptime: 25 days: 23 hours: 2 minutes
    Line Rate: 20.477 Mbps 102.395 Mbps
    Actual Net Data Rate: 20.478 Mbps 102.396 Mbps
    SNR Margin: 9.5 dB 12.3 dB
    Transmit Power: -13.4 dBm 12.1 dBm
    Receive Power: -24.6 dBm -2.8 dBm
    Actual INP: 29.0 symbols 29.0 symbols
    Total Attenuation: 11.2 dB 15.0 dB
    Attainable Net Data Rate: 22.208 Mbps 112.164 Mbps
    VDSL Band Status U0 U1 U2 U3 D1 D2 D3
    Line Attenuation(dB): 2.3 14.2 20.9 N/A 8.3 19.3 30.9
    Signal Attenuation(dB): 2.3 14.0 20.2 N/A 10.8 19.2 30.9
    SNR Margin(dB): 9.6 9.6 9.4 N/A 12.1 12.0 12.0
    Transmit Power(dBm):-24.3 -15.6 -18.5 N/A 7.2 7.9 7.1

Feeling really fobbed off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭BArra

Try making thread on the talk to Eircom forum on here, one of their reps might be able to help somewhat better

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

That needs a visit from the technicians, the line or something attached to it is damaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭PeadarB

ED E wrote: »
    That needs a visit from the technicians, the line or something attached to it is damaged.
    ED E I always felt the integrity of my line was suspect. I've had six months of an almost flawless 100/20 connection. I pm'ed one of the lads on the eircom help line and they are usually very helpful. The phoneline is still very noisy and the stats have remained the same, more or less, since yesterday which would suggest a line fault. He dropped the profile and initially the noise went from the phone, but it's back as bad as ever. Just goes to show that the old POTS system is susceptible to adverse weather, fibre or no fibre.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Report an intermittent noise fault on the pstn service(ignore the fibre), that'll get you a tech and as its the same copper carrier fixing that should fix your sync rates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

3843836496.png

speed issues again with vodafone:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Niska

Upgraded to Vodafone fiber today. Went from 20 / 1 LLU to 80 / 20.

3846428099.png

Advertisement