Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Championship 2015

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Robertson falling apart

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭colossus-x

Didn't get to see what Ronnie did with the chalk. There was no coverage at all on the red button of his match yesterday, but there were plenty of repeats, celeb jibber jabber etc. :rolleyes: (I just record the red button all day on Freesat and catch up when I get home)

Usually they use the time when that table's not in play to show you as much as they can of the play from earlier on the other table.

Seems Ronnie has at least one bizarre incident in every match now, his head isn't right and will be interesting to see if Bingham can extend his lead today. I don't see O'Sullivan winning the tournament at this rate.

He took his cue chalk and left it on the bed of the table beside the main pack of reds. I'm not sure what shot he was lining up but the point was you can't use any object to aid you in making a judgement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

Robertson lost the first two frames of this session and is 7-3 down. He needs to recover and at least share the next 6 frames to leave it 10-6 going into this evening or 9-7 would be better. He's just made it 7-4 now. I like Hawkins though, he's a great player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭bren2001

My first bet is gone, had money on Ding. The small bits I saw of Trump, I certainly wasn't as overly impressed as the rest of you on here. Yes, his break building was good but Ding never punished his mistakes. Robertson or Murphy won't let him away with some of the slack play. And for that reason, I can't see him winning. (I only saw small bits of this game).

In relation to Ronnie, I didn't see the incident but there is talk of a retrospective punishment. The ref didn't call it during the game but saw the incident, I would be disappointed if he was punished. It is a fairly simple rule that was violated, everyone knows you can't use object to line up shots or work out angles. Very surprised the he got away with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

bren2001 wrote: »
    In relation to Ronnie, I didn't see the incident but there is talk of a retrospective punishment. The ref didn't call it during the game but saw the incident, I would be disappointed if he was punished. It is a fairly simple rule that was violated, everyone knows you can't use object to line up shots or work out angles. Very surprised the he got away with it.

Everyone doesnt know, it looked like bingham had an idea but wasnt sure enough to call it, the ref didnt know, neither did stephen hendry or dennis taylor knew in commentary, nor did steve davis in the studio, the only person who knew was ken doherty.

I agree though that he shouldnt be penalised, it was an inadvertant foul that if not called by the ref should be left. I would not expect a player to be fined if they brushed a ball with a sleeve and no one noticed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭macpac26

It may be a very unpopular opinion but Im sick of Ronnie to be honest. I know he's the greatest player of all time but he treats the sport with such contempt sometimes. He knows exactly what he is doing with these incidents in my opinion.

Ive been very impressed with McGill so far he has been playing well on the run up to the worlds.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭MojoRisinnnn

macpac26 wrote: »
    It may be a very unpopular opinion but Im sick of Ronnie to be honest. I know he's the greatest player of all time but he treats the sport with such contempt sometimes. He knows exactly what he is doing with these incidents in my opinion.

Ive been very impressed with McGill so far he has been playing well on the run up to the worlds.

I agree, he goes on like he doesn't care when he clearly does, when he knows he is going to lose a game he acts very irrational and tries to emphasise he is having a really bad day at the office which is the only reason his opponent could beat him, an incredible talent but sick of him at times. I hope Robertson does the business, really love watching him play

eeepaulo wrote: »
    Everyone doesnt know, it looked like bingham had an idea but wasnt sure enough to call it, the ref didnt know, neither did stephen hendry or dennis taylor knew in commentary, nor did steve davis in the studio, the only person who knew was ken doherty.

I agree though that he shouldnt be penalised, it was an inadvertant foul that if not called by the ref should be left. I would not expect a player to be fined if they brushed a ball with a sleeve and no one noticed.

I was aware that you cannot use your cue to measure gaps, distances and angles and have called friends on it before (granted never docked them points or penalised them). So I assumed it extended to anything that isn't your eyes really.

I don't think it is an unpopular opinion to dislike Ronnie and his antics. It's very hard to dislike his snooker. By far the best to actually watch but he has been infuriating this year. Would prefer to see him gone as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭tanko

Myrddin wrote: »
    Robertson falling apart

Hawkins had Robertson on the ropes there but he was pretty gutless in the last two frames, he started turning down pots and playing safe too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

tanko wrote: »
    Hawkins had Robertson on the ropes there but he was pretty gutless in the last two frames, he started turning down pots and playing safe too much.

He has a good chance to make it 8-5 now.

• Advertisement

He has a good chance to make it 8-5 now.

He fluffed it and let Robertson in to clean up. 7-6.

While we are on the subject of ronnie, does anyone know why he always gets to walk out last?

Im fairly sure he does, might be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

While we are on the subject of ronnie, does anyone know why he always gets to walk out last?

Im fairly sure he does, might be wrong.

He's the biggest name in snooker so I reckon that they let him walk out last as part of the spectacle. It's all for show..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭tanko

He fluffed it and let Robertson in to clean up. 7-6.

Hawkins is a decent player but he gives the impression that when the pressure is really on he lacks the killer instinct to push on to the very top level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Nice to see a competitor obviously enjoying himself too.
    I'd like to see Murphy win.

GerB40 wrote: »
    He's the biggest name in snooker so I reckon that they let him walk out last as part of the spectacle. It's all for show..

I always assumed players walked out in match order and ranking order i.e. the highest ranked player in the match walks out second. Since Ronnie is #2, only Selby could walk out after him this year (which can't happen now of course).

Great recovery from Robertson winning the last 4 frames to make it 7-7. Hawkins will be lucky to get out of this session at 8-8.

I always assumed players walked out in match order and ranking order i.e. the highest ranked player in the match walks out second. Since Ronnie is #2, only Selby could walk out after him this year (which can't happen now of course).

This looks right, just looked at a clip of the final last year, ronnie walked out first.

I just assumed he got it wrote into his contract or something

tanko wrote: »
    Hawkins is a decent player but he gives the impression that when the pressure is really on he lacks the killer instinct to push on to the very top level.

Agreed. He's just that little bit brittle when under pressure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,453 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Regardless of anything else, I find it incredible that in a world championship, everyone is not aware of all the rules, even the ones most unlikely to happen.

There might be some excuse if it was a local club match...but this is the world championship.

• Advertisement

Wow BBC, just wow :mad:

Is it not on red button ? I'm watching online but no red button streamed online :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,513 ✭✭✭seanhynes

What the hell is ronnies entrance song :confused:

colossus-x wrote: »
    Is it not on red button ? I'm watching online but no red button streamed online :(

They cut the coverage one BBC2 at 14:00. Not everyone has the red button so it can be quite annoying (granted, I do). They stream the red button online!

seanhynes wrote: »
    What the hell is ronnies entrance song :confused:

The introductory part of the proceedings conducted nowadays is nothing short of cringe-worthy. I usually mute my TV if I'm watching. How could loud rock 'n roll style of music at ear shattering volume be in any way appropriate for the gentlemanly game of snooker. A sad attempt to jazz it up. Totally unnecessary - people love snooker for what it is. To make it look like something else just won't work to increase public interest - if that's the reason behind it.

They cut the coverage one BBC2 at 14:00. Not everyone has the red button so it can be quite annoying (granted, I do). They stream the red button online!

Anyone can tune in the red button channel on any satellite box. You just need the frequency details. Then you can access it just like any normal channel and actually it can be quicker to channel hop to it that way !! BTW the red button was introduced precisely so programs could start and stop when they were scheduled as per the guide. It would be absurd to introduce the red button and to continue to overrun on the main channel.

Where was the red button steamed online my I ask ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

Wow BBC, just wow :mad:

for us poor c*nts in work. what's this about?

Anyone can tune in the red button channel on any satellite box. You just need the frequency details. Then you can access it just like any normal channel and actually it can be quicker to channel hop to it that way !! BTW the red button was introduced precisely so programs could start and stop when they were scheduled as per the guide. It would be absurd to introduce the red button and to continue to overrun on the main channel.

Not everyone has a satellite is really my point. Yes, easy with one.

Just google BBC red button stream and you'll find the link to it on the BBC website. I'd link it but I'm on my phone.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/snooker/32102315

then click the live coverage tab, dont know if this is geolocked as i have smart dns

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

The introductory part of the proceedings conducted nowadays is nothing short of cringe-worthy. I usually mute my TV if I'm watching. How could loud rock 'n roll style of music at ear shattering volume be in any way appropriate for the gentlemanly game of snooker. A sad attempt to jazz it up. Totally unnecessary - people love snooker for what it is. To make it look like something else just won't work to increase public interest - if that's the reason behind it.

Lol what are you talking about.

It's a song of the players choice at a perfectly fine volume.

The players being introduced the way they are is fine.

Ronnie won't win this if he doesn't get his act together some very shocking easy misses,he just can't get going like he usually can to take the lead

syngindub wrote: »
    for us poor c*nts in work. what's this about?

Just me venting because coverage of the live game cut at a crucial moment for some political debate twaddle. As mentioned above, I guess that's what the red button is for really, so scheduled stuff doesn't have to be interrupted. They don't have issue interrupting scheduled programming for Tennis mind!

Anyway, gonna go out on a limb here & say I can't see Ronnie lifting the world title again. I reckon five is where he'll stay.

So McGill's adventure is over loosing 13-8 to Murphy. But well done to him an brightening up the tournament.

I like the part where Rob Walker introduces the players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 414 ✭✭melon_collie

I used to feel the same about it when it was first introduced. But at that time the game of snooker was dying on its feet. Since then it definitely has improved in popularity. I would rather see the game survive with this type of jazz and hype rather than see the game die a death. Its what audiences want these days like it or not. But I hear what you're saying

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Terrible miss by Bingham

Ronnie looks like he's coming into a bit of form

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

Would john Virgo ever shut up!! Gah!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Does anybody have the red button?

Only for Eurosport i would have lost all interest in snooker. Their coverage is not as good as the BBC but they put in so much more effort into coverage.

It's on sky anyhow choice was available for Ronnie Bingham whilst BBC showed the conclusion of Murphy McGill,I had to put it on for Hendrys commentary prefer him over the pair on Eurosport it is frustrating going into it tho takes a minute to load up and if u want to see the other table it's a pain

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/snooker/32102315

then click the live coverage tab, dont know if this is geolocked as i have smart dns

It is but I've got around that. Anway there weren't streaming it live when I looked, there was only 4 catchup programmes available where u just linked too. Maybe the red button is on iPlayer - I'm not sure , best check that for next time. My satellite dish has been moved out of alignment, what a week for it to happen :(
    mdwexford wrote: »
    Lol what are you talking about.

It's a song of the players choice at a perfectly fine volume.

The players being introduced the way they are is fine.

Sorry - it's not like I'm just making something up out of thin air. I don't think introducing opponents in the style of a boxing match when the sport is ordinarily played in silence is appropriate and I'm just expressing that I don't like it. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the way players were introduced in the past minus the corny nicknames. Even Steve Davis said quote 'does every player have to have a nickname'. Some ppl have said they like it fine or got used to it - I haven't' but I've been watching snooker since 1983. The last thing I would ever want in snooker is that it would attract that all too common yobbish youth male element that pervades the soccer world. I'm sorry but I really cannot stomach Rob Walker.
    Would john Virgo ever shut up!! Gah!
    Exactly ! Virgo constantly over-egging it just does not do it for me. Cringe again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Does anybody have the red button?

Only for Eurosport i would have lost all interest in snooker. Their coverage is not as good as the BBC but they put in so much more effort into coverage.

Yeah I have the red button available.

I sometimes prefer Eurosports commentary over the BBC's. Nice to hear a different voice and not "where the CUE BALL GOING" every few minutes.

I actually really like the 'old guard' of BBC commentators :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,049 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Yeah me too! Don't like the Eurosport commentators as they keep making farty noises with their microphones especially Joe Johnson!

Alan McManus should have been brought immediately into the Eurosport studios after he exited

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

hopefully we'll see Mcgill next year,

like him and his cheeky smile

It is but I've got around that. Anway there weren't streaming it live when I looked, there was only 4 catchup programmes available where u just linked too. Maybe the red button is on iPlayer - I'm not sure , best check that for next time. My satellite dish has been moved out of alignment, what a week for it to happen

Im finding the streaming through the bbc sports hit and miss.

I have my router set to smart dns.

I have the bbc sports app on a samsung smart tv, there are three options, table one, table two and bbc coverage, only the third one works.

On a windows pc it works fine through the bbc website link.

On my tablet it only loads the bbc coverage through the website.

I prefer eurosport for just staying with the arena, instead of going back to listen to them talk bollox in the winter gardens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Sorry - it's not like I'm just making something up out of thin air. I don't think introducing opponents in the style of a boxing match when the sport is ordinarily played in silence is appropriate and I'm just expressing that I don't like it. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the way players were introduced in the past minus the corny nicknames. Even Steve Davis said quote 'does every player have to have a nickname'. Some ppl have said they like it fine or got used to it - I haven't' but I've been watching snooker since 1983. The last thing I would ever want in snooker is that it would attract that all too common yobbish youth male element that pervades the soccer world. I'm sorry but I really cannot stomach Rob Walker

Well it's a sporting event not a library.

It's gets the atmosphere going a bit and there's still total silence once play begins so I don't see the harm.

I've been watching since the late 80s myself and if stuff like this makes the game more popular then I'm all for it. You are coming across quite snobbish with those comments. Hearne is taking a few ideas from what he's done with the PDC darts which again some people don't like but prize money and popularity have gone through the roof since he made these changes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

I like most of the old stagers. Not keen on Willie Thorne when Selby is playing (serious Leicester bias) or John Virgo with the moronic "where's the cue ball going" otherwise they all do a decent job.

If you ever get desperate to see the snooker, bet365 have the games live, on a tiny tiny window!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭GeneralC

Credit again to Eurosport for their comprehensive coverage of the World's. I know BBC have a fancy winter garden with a plasma TV, but Eurosport actually show full coverage of matches, which is more important to me! I actually don't mind the commentators on ES that much if I am honest. Hendry for me is the best commentator on BBC, he tells it the way he sees it.

I said before the tournament begun, Murphy or Trump will win, I will stand by my prediction.

Credit must go to Hawkins by the way, he's not playing great, but he's having another great championship- dark horse?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Still on course for a mouth watering semi-final line up of Shaun Murphy V Neil Robertson and Ronnie V Judd.

You'd have to say out of the four Ronnie has been the least impressive thus far but providing he can get past Bingham (no certainty) you'd imagine he'll turn up the focus and concentration for what will be a really tough challenge. Judd playing the best snooker of the tournament so far and will probably start favourite against Ronnie.

Judd has a pretty good record against Ronnie but was no match for him here two years ago in the Semi's. He's obviously a better player these days though so that one should be a cracker. I'd fancy Shaun Murphy to beat Hawkins/Robertson as well. Playing some great stuff this week. Murphy used to annoy me but he's grown on me in recent years and he's great to watch. One of the most attacking players in the game.

• Advertisement
Advertisement