Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Heineken Cup - General Discussion Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭jasper11

errlloyd wrote: »
    A moreso than that. Remember that time Connacht tried to steal Ulster's bull and got torn to pieces by a young lad right of Leinster Academy.

The provincial system works perfectly in Ireland it must be said, I absolutely love it. I think the clubs as branches also works pretty well.

I love the way our players are loyal to their provinces, as long as there is a chance of a Leinster man making a career at Leinster he'll stay. I love the way we have fierce rivalries, but even if Munster put Leinster out in the Semi's or the Quarters, I'll still be wearing red and singing the fields of Athenry in the finals. Its just class.

GREAT POST MATE. touche.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ambid

errlloyd wrote: »
    A moreso than that. Remember that time Connacht tried to steal Ulster's bull and got torn to pieces by a young lad right of Leinster Academy.

The provincial system works perfectly in Ireland it must be said, I absolutely love it. I think the clubs as branches also works pretty well.

I love the way our players are loyal to their provinces, as long as there is a chance of a Leinster man making a career at Leinster he'll stay. I love the way we have fierce rivalries, but even if Munster put Leinster out in the Semi's or the Quarters, I'll still be wearing red and singing the fields of Athenry in the finals. Its just class.

I wonder if this is a thing unique to Irish rugby? If Northampton are knocked out of the Heineken Cup this year, I wonder how many of their fans will cheer for Leicester in the rest of the competition? I'm fairly sure Manchester United fans won't support Manchester City in their European matches.

You're right that it is brillant how Irish rivalries work. It's also pretty rare I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Good god, Drico looks fecking orange on Sky Sports! However did his makeup should be shot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Clermont had players over there did they not? WOuld have though it was a good shout for a try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

1 disallowed try and 1 allowed try for Trimble in about 2 minutes. Good stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Clermont look really up for this. Lessons learnt from last years equivalent game..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 172 ✭✭Tree Scape

Quint2010 wrote: »
    Clermont look really up for this. Lessons learnt from last years equivalent game..
    Any links for CA match?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Extraordinary stuff from Ulster and trimble in first few minutes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭yimrsg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,279 ✭✭✭ongarite

Nice try for Leicester.
    7-6 now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 172 ✭✭Tree Scape

Malzieu WTF!! Kung Fu kick!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Sport101 wrote: »
    Cheers Ger, good post, had forgotten about the Celtic Warriors. These teams are nearly 10 years old though and should be getting better support, do you think there's an element of deliberate boycotting by the hardcore rugby fans, which will take a generation to pass? Do they really hate the idea of a joined team that much? I mean Neath and Swansea aren't miles from each other. They have no problem packing the Millennium for a pointless game against the Australians. It sometimes seems that Welsh Rugby can be very insular and self destructive at times.

I would certainly agree about the self destructive element. They implode time and time again. I questioned recently if the WC was just another false dawn of Welsh rugby and I think I might be proven right. They have such talent but such issues outside of that off the pitch.

Financially, a side like the Scarlets for example have serious limitations. They've had to let a lot of their players go and are relying entirely on their youth structures. Ospreys still have some cash (despite appearances) but are making an effort to move towards home grown talent and that is partly in an effort to cultivate a relationship with the supporters and grow the fan base.

With respect to them getting better support after 10 years, success breeds success. You only have to look at the rocketing of Leinster's attendances since Cheika's tenure began to see how much that can prove true. The Welsh sides have simply struggled to get their affairs in order off the pitch whether it's through marketing, politics, infighting, finances or whatever to allow them to perform on the pitch and draw the crowds in. The Ospreys crowds had improved very slowly but this season they seem to have gone backwards significantly with the marquee names no longer there. It will take them a few years to get back there but if they can do so with a team built around Biggar, Beck and Tipuric instead of Collins, Holah and Phillips it will serve them better in the long run.

Can Dan Tuohy please play in a green Jersey come the 6N?

please Declan.

PLEASE

any reports from ulster game or links? i take it from posts touhy and trimble playing well. love to see trimble start in 6Ns

jasper11 wrote: »
    any reports from ulster game or links? i take it from posts touhy and trimble playing well. love to see trimble start in 6Ns

stream on twomint. Ulster finally looking like they know what they're doing with the ball. BP win strongly on the cards as 17-3 up after 30 with 2 tries

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

http://www.justin.tv/twomintpork1#/w/2258845408 twomint showing it

Aironi 3 - 17 Ulster so far.

on the other game, lovely pass from Hines, miss him :(

Can Dan Tuohy please play in a green Jersey come the 6N?

please Declan.

PLEASE

I assume you're talking about a loan spell at Connacht because I reckon that might be the only way we'll see him in a green jersey in the next 6 months.

Clermont firmly in control of their game now.
    They have nearly 70% possession and are looking pretty dangerous with ball in hand.

cheers guys. credit low on dongle so might just watch 2nd half :(

• Advertisement

Looks like a 3rd try for Ulster from Court.

Brilliant try by Clermont! They are serious contenders this year. 16-7

Great try from Clermont there.

Pure class.

A BP win for Ulster and Clermont winning would be the perfect results.

Half time score: Leicester 7 - 16 Clermont

GerM wrote: »
    I assume you're talking about a loan spell at Connacht because I reckon that might be the only way we'll see him in a green jersey in the next 6 months.

has touhy been good then? radio sayng line out has been woeful but best at fault they been sayng. like the look of touhy recently

Jesus Drico's mrs never ironed his shirt properly...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 756 ✭✭✭4PP

Burgo wrote: »
    Great try from Clermont there.

Owens missed the ASM knock-on after Castro's dropped ball. Should have been called back for ASM scrum

BOD looks an awfull muppet on the "analysis" :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

6 out of 15 starters for Clermont are non-French with 5 out of 7 on bench all overseas.

Hilarious.

is bod that bad? i thought he be a natural for the tv in couple of yrs :)

has touhy been good then? radio sayng line out has been woeful but best at fault they been sayng. like the look of touhy recently

I only saw one of the messed up line outs and it was down to the lifting pod. Throw was fine but jumper was very slow into air. Having Afoa as one of the main lifters and only learning the calls could be playing a part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I think Drico's a natural tbh.

17-16 Leicester. Great start to second half by them

Leicester back in this now.

• Advertisement

19-17 now to Clermont.
    Another drop goal.

Jesus, Ulster doing their best to lose this game now.

Conceded 2 tries in the last 5 mins.

ulster falling a part :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

IMO yer man was a mile offside for that 2nd Aironi try.

to many early subs from ulster. they look awful now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Jesus, looks bad for Jackson

fez in insde centre. lets see wll he fill bods boots :)

NICE ONE. BP TRY!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Good try, Ulster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

Gilroy in the corner

So how is the Ulster group now after both results?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭nordydan

ongarite wrote: »

Ulster 14
    Leicester 12
    Clermont 11
    Erroroni 0

some lovely offloading there for that final try

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Ulster 14
    Leicster 12
    Clermont 11
    But Ulster have both the big teams

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Clermont well in charge, should top the group easily enough, either Ulster or Leicester will go through as best runners up. Ulster need to beat Leicester at home and pick up a BP in one of their last 2 games or else deny Leicester a losing BP to go through.

• Advertisement
Advertisement