Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

• 09-07-2011 9:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭

This was mine. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/97816806 A nice loop of road from my house on my Lapierre Technic 400 MTB. A fair bit of climbing, but compensating downhills. Great morning for it. Lots of track offroad for options on another day.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,190 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Lucan-Clonee-Kilcock (via R125)-Clane-Sallins-K Club-Ardclough-Newcastle (via Lyons estate)-Lucan

76k in 3:23

I'm wrecked now. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

118km with Swords CC this morning out around Meath.
    25km commute to work, 25km commute home.

Oh yeah, I forgot to charge the battery, so my 305 switched itself off after 2:20. :mad:

This was mine. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/97816806 A nice loop of road from my house on my Lapierre Technic 400 MTB. A fair bit of climbing, but compensating downhills. Great morning for it. Lots of track offroad for options on another day.

You're breaking Rule #24 :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

In fairness, it's his Garmin doing the rule breaking...

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,514 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Went to the track at Sundrive - warmed up, did the vets 500m TT Championship (ages 50-59), came last, felt sad:(

Warmed up again, did the 2km pursuit Championship, won gold medal, felt (very) happy:D

(first time I've ever won a medal for anything)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goingpostal

I cycled from South Circular Road in Limerick City Centre out to the Gaelic Grounds for the Cork vs Galway hurling qualifier and the Limerick vs Offaly football qualifier. I parked my vehicle as close to the ground as is possible. After the match, I spotted our portly ex-Taoiseach loitering outside the ground, surrounded by lickspittles. Under Irish Law, threatening to beat someone up is a crime, punishable by a severe custodial sentence, so I shrewdly kept my trap firmly and conclusively shut. The presence of a lot of rozzers also informed my decision to take a vow of silence. Then I cycled through the exiting throng, out to my mothers house in the Clare Hills. I moved faster than all the pedestrians and the unhappy-looking people stuck in their steel cocoons in the roasting heat. Later on, when the temperatures had dropped, I did the return journey. Oh, tis good to be an Irish cyclist.

Beasty wrote: »
    Went to the track at Sundrive - warmed up, did the vets 500m TT Championship (ages 50-59), came last, felt sad:(

Warmed up again, did the 2km pursuit Championship, won gold medal, felt (very) happy:D

(first time I've ever won a medal for anything)

What kind of times are winning these? I'm in the same age group.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,514 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Pherekydes wrote: »
    What kind of times are winning these? I'm in the same age group.
    Results here

The winning time in the 500m was 41.46s. A new vets record was set (2 riders setting exactly the same time actually) in the 40-49 age group - 37.19s

I did 2m 49.43s for the 2k (although one of the 60+ guys did beat it:o - he is a former national champion though)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

I cycled 45km into work in 1hr29m, i am cycling home then at 7:30am tomorrow after a 16hr shift. I met a few lads from Clondalkin on the way in (summerhill, Meath) they were training for the Malin to Mizen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭del88

I cycled from rush to baldoyle...about 29km...really nice...only started cycling 2 months ago and am becoming addicted....going to do a week long loaded tour around mayo/galway with the girlfriend the third week of august...can't wait :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

Left late for the club spin. Hit the road about 7:55. I live in Killester and the meet up is at Blakes Cross at 8:30. No time for a gentle warm up. I met Iniquitus on the way. He was going so fast I thought we were both late but he gave me the impression that he always rides at that pace.

We did the usual loop of North County Dublin without any great incident. The "pretend you're not taking part but are really popping a blood vessel" unofficial gallop up by the Pavilions Shopping Centre confirmed that I can't sprint the length of myself. I peeled off at that stage and got home just before 11. 92 odd km in 3 hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

I cycled 8km yesterday in 19.56 minutes. Basically a 5km climb with a 70 meter elevation gain then a flat off road trail and then a downhill road cycle.

Was my last cycle before my ( first )race today :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

I am home after my 45km ride from work, it took me 1hr44min to get home so an overall average of 26kmph over the round trip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

errr is this not what the cycle logs are for:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

77km @ 32.3km/ph. Nice uneventful spin but picked up some sunburn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

I take this trip every few weeks, Kinsale road r'bout - 5 Mile Bridge - Riverstick - Kinsale - Old head - Grtstown - Balinadee - Inishannon - Crookstown - Coachford - Blarney - and back to cork. 114 Kms, 4 and a half hours, few testing hills but a good workout. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭mfdc

Headed down through Dublin and then up into the mountains via the Cruagh climb. It's been a good while since I've been on a proper hill so absolutely murdered myself going up there and put in what I think might be my best time, hooray!

Shortly thereafter, when heading up the climb past Glencree toward the foot of Kippure my non driveside crank fell off :confused: Thought my cleat was going at first with the lateral movement but then had the whole crank dangling from my foot. I choose to believe that I put down so much power on the Cruagh I literally tore my crankset apart, and not that my maintenance has been crap lately :D Put it back together sans endcap (god only knows where it is) and headed home down Stocking Lane nice and gingerly, didn't want any more incidents! 72km all told, would've preferred longer but hey...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Tried to do my longest spin ever, 75+km, but the road I had planned on taking was closed (cars were getting through, but there was bollards across most of the road, so I assumed they were local access only) and I didn't want to chance it. So I took a turn off and got utterly utterly lost. 40km later I find myself practically outside my village, no idea how. So I just went home :D

PS Just looked at gmaps and still have no idea where I was today. Nice, though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 926 ✭✭✭G rock

kilmainham-kilbride-lacken-ballyknockan-wicklow gap-roundwood-sally gap-stocking lane and home.

stupid catseye gave up on me on way down wicklow gap and have lost all record of my distance to date.

think today was about 125k. saw loads of people out. i was in garish yellow on one ss jersey

hello if you saw me!

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭byebye

im just makeing a recovery from a brain virus which had me fairly fecked so today tried a 70k hilly spin managed to get around and am pretty pleased with getting it done! roll on etap! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭experimenter

Just a hilly 50km spin around the hills of Mount Leinster, Borris area..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

11.4 km XC race in 54:42 was slippy and I've never cycled it before, But I finished it and didn't come last I think :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭Lawr

Got off of my schedule the last few weeks. Took a short run up the Cratloe Hills.
    http://www.sports-tracker.com/#/workout/Lawr/776dmfbgh7tv7drc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Adis about 50k today.
    Tallaght to Blessington via Lugmore and then the N81. Head out to the Vallymount road and turned to head back after the first bend after the narrow bridge. Stuck to the N81 on the way home and learned the through meaning of being dropped on the road between Blessington and Brittas.

This was my longest cycle by about 15k so an average speed of 20kph over the rolling roads was grand for me.
    I tried to improve my technique so I spun the legs off myself. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

errr is this not what the cycle logs are for:confused:

Depends. This has a random, and light, sample. Theres more details available in the training logs alright.

And, many won't have their own training logs...

Pherekydes wrote: »
    You're breaking Rule #24 :pac:

Its in metric when I log in? Maybe when others log in they don't see the kms :confused:

Just a hilly 50km spin around the hills of Mount Leinster, Borris area..

Cool. Whilst you were doing that, I was running the self same hill... http://connect.garmin.com/activity/98159737 in an imra race. Great day for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

Was supposed to be cycling home to Galway from a wedding in West Cork (250ish km) but a stupid sprained ankle from last week meant I had to call it quits after a very slow 100km. Was still nice to not have to be in the car for that 100km though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

115kms, dublin-larragh-wicklow gap-blessington lakes and back. What was with the flies today?! I had to sprint up in every climb just to get away from a freaky cloud of flies. I met few walkers on the way to Laragh and asked them as they had their head covered to protect from the flies, but they said they haven't seen anything like that before.

AstraMonti wrote: »
    115kms, dublin-larragh-wicklow gap-blessington lakes and back. What was with the flies today?! I had to sprint up in every climb just to get away from a freaky cloud of flies. I met few walkers on the way to Laragh and asked them as they had their head covered to protect from the flies, but they said they haven't seen anything like that before.

Once you keep moving its fine. If you have to stop for a call of nature or whatever then you're fly bait. Its pretty chronic south Wicklow way too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

Yesterday 80km, Killarney Kenmare via Kilgarvan then back via Molls Gap, almost torpedoed at Ladies View by a car suddenly braking ahead for some reason:confused: To let another car reverse out of a parking spot, a bit of swerving on my part required.
    100km today from Castlemaine to Tralee then Castleisland Killarney Killorglin and Castlemaine again, saw the ambulance with a lone cyclist near Ballymac and they were geeting the stretcher out even though he was standing? He must have come off his bike but had happened before we passed.
    Met a charity cycle group on the road from Killarney near Farranfore, 2 groups of c. 40 riders each with outriders and cars but not sure who organised it?
    There was a van with some Clare club or other written on the side.
    All in all a nice weekend on the kerry roads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

ok, so Sat, not today:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=73222510&postcount=41

155km Helping Hand sportive out of Athy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Keyboard Warrior

Limerick-Mountshannon-Portumna-Nenagh-Birdhill-Limerick solo cycle. 158K. 40K longer than I have cycled before. Average speed 21.08km/h tells how much I suffered especially last 60K, took me well over 2 hours to do last 40K! ouch...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

Did the Étape du tour, 109km, 1 Cat 1 climb (Telegraph) and 2 HC, Galibier and Alpe du Huez. Tough tough day! But made it! Delighted.
    Highlights, the Galibier, flying through tunnels at over 40mph, the coldest alpine stream water you can imagine on the alpe where the temp was over 35 degrees! Amazing views, great to do it on closed roads. And finishing when 5k from the top I was spent!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 98 ✭✭*Derek*

this was yesterdays cycle. http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/40925678

Today is rest day. Go again tomorrow evening..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 327 ✭✭dermiek

19.6 km in 57 mins approx.
    Mostly flat.
    I'm fairly new to cycling, I'm 50 and overweight.
    Will probably never enter a race or sportive,
    will definitely never win one if I do.
    BUT.... I love cycling.
    I just don't get enough chance to go out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭experimenter

Cool. Whilst you were doing that, I was running the self same hill... http://connect.garmin.com/activity/98159737 in an imra race. Great day for it.

I'm in Leighlinbridge so I have to travel to get some decent hill work..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 193 ✭✭jimzy

Yesterday morning got out for a really enjoyable 117km ride around Carlow & Kilkenny. Route that went Borris–Graiguenamanagh–Thomastown–Inistioge–Listerlin–Stoneyford–Kilkenny and back.

Beautiful morning, we met tons of other cyclists out on the road, half 7 seems to be a popular starting time! Nice bit of climbing on the route, nothing too huge but still four cat 5's and two cat 4 climbs. The longest cycle I've done so far by around 40k, felt pretty good afterwards!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

Beginner says: 17.5k around Julianstown, Laytown, Bettystown, Mornington. 46 minutes. It was very nice. Good air, no flies, nice getting a look at the sea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

dermiek wrote: »
    19.6 km in 57 mins approx.
    Mostly flat.
    I'm fairly new to cycling, I'm 50 and overweight.
    Will probably never enter a race or sportive,
    will definitely never win one if I do.
    BUT.... I love cycling.
    I just don't get enough chance to go out.

Oh you will, you will...

I do most of my training in the early mornings taking the long way to work. Hard to get out at the weekend with kids and all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 212 ✭✭HobbyMan

About 70K. Cork - Dripsey-Coachford-Macroom and took the N22 back to Cork.

Few light showers and a hell of a head wind on the way out. Thought I was stationary once or twice.

Took just under 3 hours including phone call stop, toilet stop and several traffic light stops.

Did a hilly 2 hours yesterday ( maybe 40K ? ) so legs a little tired today......but I enjoyed it. :D

Saw a few cyclists but expected to see more of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Daithi BC

Headwind, headwind, headwind, headwind, tailwind, tailwind, tailwind, tailwind.

Averaged 22 kph for the first 2 hours and 34 kph for the second two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Awful headwind and drizzle from Dublin out to Trim - . Nice to have it behind me on the way back ..averaged 24 KPH over 98 K :)

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭patrick151

got the head wind on the way back from navan, 45km, av of 26 which im happy with in that weather

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭goldencleric

rocstar wrote: »
    Awful headwind and drizzle from Dublin out to Trim - . Nice to have it behind me on the way back ..averaged 24 KPH over 98 K :)

Was out that way myself, that headwind and rain had me maniacally laughing to myself at one point! Made me yearn for next year's spring classics :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Was out that way myself, that headwind and rain had me maniacally laughing to myself at one point! Made me yearn for next year's spring classics :)

If I passed you and didn't nod it was coz I was feeling sorry for myself !

At least you could see the funny side of that weather ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Great morning out there. Did a nice solo tour of dublin 5 and county dublin. Down to sutton, along the cycle track, back toward malahide through Kinsealy, out to Balheary, the back of Ballboughal, Lusk, Loghshinny, Rush, Skerries and back home via an extension back around by Howth.

Highlights were topping up the tan lines, no problems with hayfever (thank god) and being on a good day as one Sean kelly would say. Felt good al the way without pushing much.

106km in 3hrs 17 (32.3km/ph)

More weather like this please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 934 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

did the orwell randonnee, well not the event but the route, because i'd planned to do it but won't be around that weekend. Great day for it, lovely route. Route plus onward journey = 155km for the day in just under six hours

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement