Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

That's very sad news. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Max Rockatansky

Shocking news. RIP Pat, a true gentleman, you will be missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Genuinely shocked. Stopped me in my tracks. RIP, Pat.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Lumen wrote: »

Jesus that's horrendous. R.I.P., and condolences to his family and friends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Really sad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

Saw a driver mount an island on Pearse St., Dublin at the Macken St. junction. It was a bit surreal. I'd say he was travelling at less than 10kph. He was heading towards Ringsend and I'm not sure if he planned to turn right then change his mind. Some noise from it and the collective 'ooooo' from pedestrians and cyclists as he hit the traffic lights. Looks like a busted radiator at least. He appeared fine as did his passengers.

This is obviously a sign that all drivers are lunatics.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Saw the aftermath of that crash and was wondering how it possibly happened.

Also got a second puncture in 2 days :(

Found the piece of glass this time. I'm wondering if my tire is shot, I'd say there's only 2000km on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

traprunner wrote: »
    Saw a driver mount an island on Pearse St., Dublin at the Macken St. junction. It was a bit surreal. I'd say he was travelling at less than 10kph. He was heading towards Ringsend and I'm not sure if he planned to turn right then change his mind. Some noise from it and the collective 'ooooo' from pedestrians and cyclists as he hit the traffic lights. Looks like a busted radiator at least. He appeared fine as did his passengers.

This is obviously a sign that all drivers are lunatics.

I was in the Drury Street bike park on Saturday afternoon and saw a driver drive his swanky Alfa sports car over a low concrete island- wheels either side, concrete into the undercarriage (the vehicular equivalent of a kick in the nuts?). The crunch was nasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Working in Geneva this week. Only landed in this (rainy) morning, but really surprised by the interactions between motorists and cyclists. Respect, courtesy and common sense. Madness.

If the weather gets better and I get my work done early, I'm tempted to rent a bike and try get partially around Lake Geneva.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,744 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I worked in Basel for a few months. Nice to cycle around. Those "farmers' roads" outside the cities are nice too.

What's also interesting is there's a 'cycling infrastructure' in place - some on road and off road lanes, etc, similar-ish to Dublin but slightly better designed.

And still no one seems to use them.

And everyone gets on.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

tomasrojo wrote: »
    I worked in Basel for a few months.

Basil or Baal

• Registered Users Posts: 11,744 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

RobFowl wrote: »
    Basil or Baal
    It's "basil" to me. I think "Basel" is the more common way to spell it in English these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Anyone here living in cork..and close to the Giant store?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,506 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Not me (just need another 9,000+ Boardsies to post a similar response and cheer Rob up a bit:pac:)

Beasty wrote: »
    Not me (just need another 9,000+ Boardsies to post a similar response and cheer Rob up a bit:pac:)

9000+ (-1) :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

OldBean wrote: »
    Working in Geneva this week. Only landed in this (rainy) morning, but really surprised by the interactions between motorists and cyclists. Respect, courtesy and common sense. Madness.

If the weather gets better and I get my work done early, I'm tempted to rent a bike and try get partially around Lake Geneva.

Same in France. Cars slow down, then pass at a decent speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

Might sneak into the motoring forum with this.

11947595_10153096455236592_4367989610003741690_n.jpg?oh=041a743ffb53ef4106135c7684f2d77b&oe=56CEBA00

OleRodrigo wrote: »
    Might sneak into the motoring forum with this.

Get them to reply in this thread rather than opening new ones to reply (troll) here though.
    Will get us to 10k all the faster :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Loooong questionaire here

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/?sm=Y7mEWH%2b9PubN7hIDa4t6CA%3d%3d

Ger Fogarty of Clare County Council asking lots of questions. I had to answer some of the more complicated ones "neither agree nor disagree".

Interesting points. I reckoned the minimum width for a (separated) cycle path should be 2.5 metres, with the way cycling numbers are rising.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Ger Fogarty of Clare County Council asking lots of questions. I had to answer some of the more complicated ones "neither agree nor disagree".

Interesting points. I reckoned the minimum width for a (separated) cycle path should be 2.5 metres, with the way cycling numbers are rising.

I admire the attempt but it's a dreadful questionnaire to answer. I'm about 15 questions in and I don't think I've been able to give a good answer to any of his questions.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

God that was loooooooong! Questions could have been phrased waaaaay better. I wonder what value there will be in it given how many people may have given up half way through such a long, long survey. The questions are quite leading in places too which would put a question mark over the results for me.

2.5m as standard is excessive though. I'd like it on the canal at rush hour though! A sacrifice too far as long as there are car lanes I think. In my experience the less room cars have the squeezier/more impatient they get with cyclists and the cycle lane.

Absolutely fantastic to see a County Council take an interest, whatever the impact of it may or may not be.

gadetra wrote: »
    2.5m as standard is excessive though. I'd like it on the canal at rush hour though! A sacrifice too far as long as there are car lanes I think. In my experience the less room cars have the squeezier/more impatient they get with cyclists and the cycle lane.

Maybe, Gadetra, but on the other hand, with the growth in the numbers of cyclists, it would be sensible to build the lanes for projected numbers. If we build metre-wide lanes, they're going to lead to accidents as the lanes become overcrowded.
    Absolutely fantastic to see a County Council take an interest, whatever the impact of it may or may not be.

It's wonderful!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

No Bike season is officially here. Just to troll... I'm gonna do this: https://events.athleticsireland.ie/ps/event/AthleticsIrelandAutumnOpenCross2015

So, how do I dress like the Freds of the running world?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Jaysus, that was like pulling teeth. While I finished it, I'm guessing a large number of potential respondents will abandon less that half way through. I had to read a number of the questions twice just to figure out what was being asked only to respond with a neither yes nor no. Truly awful survey.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

After my 2 in a row puncture madness in the last 2 days I panic bought a Schwalbe Marathon Plus on CRC. I'm pretty sure both punctures were caused by one piece of glass embedded in the tyre, so I'm not going to swap it just yet.

This is the tyre I have on the rear at the moment:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/vittoria-rubino-pro-road-bike-tyre/rp-prod31765

I'd say 2000km on it now, but hopefully I'll get more life out of it, it should last longer than that.

After my 2 in a row puncture madness in the last 2 days I panic bought a Schwalbe Marathon Plus on CRC. I'm pretty sure both punctures were caused by one piece of glass embedded in the tyre, so I'm not going to swap it just yet.

This is the tyre I have on the rear at the moment:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/vittoria-rubino-pro-road-bike-tyre/rp-prod31765

I'd say 2000km on it now, but hopefully I'll get more life out of it, it should last longer than that.

Hmmmm, I don't know. You might get another few km out of it, but realistically you'd be better off buying another bike.

Number of refugees cycling to freedom along the former Iron Curtain cycle trail is skyrocketing http://www.euronews.com/2015/10/07/taking-the-arctic-route-migrants-cycle-from-russia-to-norway/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Funkyzeit

Zyzz wrote: »
    Anyone here living in cork..and close to the Giant store?

Work around the corner from it. Anything I can help with?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement