Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CTs in TV Shows?

Options
  • 18-05-2009 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭

Ok so I know some folk dont watch Tv and think that its used to control us but I watch it ... and I like it!

Anyway what I was wondering is what do the folks of the CT Forum make of shows that depict CTs like 24, X-Files, Fringe etc?

I am a big 24 and Fringe fan (especially Fringe) and love how it gets me thinking outside the box.

24 particularily depicts the US government as being corrupt but are they just distracting us? Are the writers behind them trying in some small way to expose anything? Or is it just TV for entertainments sake?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭espinolman

I think some episodes of the X-Files were very realistic and were based on something real , i have always thought of 24 as war propaganda and i don't think that show even tries to expose any CTs , i think fringe is very good .

• Registered Users Posts: 33,312 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Over the past few years there have been a number of TV shows depicting organisations which are above the government, usually with ties to the government.

In 24, in most seasons there has been a terrorist group being controlled by either a group of oil companies, or PMCs, or even high ranking officials of the government.

Prison Break had "The Company", which also had ties to high ranking government officials and controlled many sectors of government agencies and had moles everywhere, and were also hiding research about renewable energys etc.

I'm sure there are other examples, I've never watched Fringe which 6th mentioned or The X-Files or owt like that.

But this extends beyond TV. Some video games have been depicting this too, namely Metal Gear Solid, in which a group known as The Patriots control numerous PMCs, energys, government agencies etc.

Hard to know really. Many popular media hinting at it, but all in different ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,229 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

I despise Fringe.
    Aside from the terrible terrible science in the show (like it's Armageddon levels of bad) I think the writing is horribly cliched. The mad scientist's son just annoys the hell out of me.

There was Korean film, Old Boy that had a great reveal of a conspiracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

King Mob wrote: »
    I despise Fringe.
    Aside from the terrible terrible science in the show (like it's Armageddon levels of bad) I think the writing is horribly cliched. The mad scientist's son just annoys the hell out of me.

I'd have to ban myself if I responded to that. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

There's a 911 conspiracy built around an X Files episode

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭jonbravo

espinolman wrote: »
    I think some episodes of the X-Files were very realistic and were based on something real , i have always thought of 24 as war propaganda and i don't think that show even tries to expose any CTs , i think fringe is very good .
    the x-files, what a classic, a bit to out there after season 3 or 4 i cant remember much of it after that, had better things to watch!
    i also agree with king mob,i dont like........
    fringe
    lost
    csi [just said id add that]...

being back .... the rockford files :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

6th wrote: »
    I'd have to ban myself if I responded to that. :D
    No...you wouldn't have to. You could let me do it :)

24, I find interesting in terms of the question asked.

If you remove the Deus Ex Machina that is Jack Bauer, it shows a corrupt government which is mostly good at one thing only....covering its own ass after screwing up monumentally. It also shows various factions itching to exploit anything they can - regardless of whether they engineered it or not.

Cause a terrorist event....exploit it and cover your ass.
    Get hit by a "real" terrorist event....exploit it and cover your ass.

The ultimate sources of "the threat(s) of the series" are generally within credibility, if not always the threats themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,229 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

I'd recommend Steven Spielberg's Taken.
    It sorta encompasses the entire UFO mythos from Foo Fighters to Roswell through Crop Circles.
    It was really well done.

Fringe, I cant get enough of.
    Walther best character Ive seen for a long time.

But Ive always believed the writers are letting something slip... just not to sure what though.
    Ive also always thought there are companys like Massive Dynamic running amok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭truebluedub

TV conspiracy shows aren't really my thing but I know Fringe hasn't been well received by other Delta Green (Lovecraftian conspiracy roleplay) fans while the latest season of 24 particularly the early episodes has.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I think the X-Files probably handled conspiracies best out of all TV shows. The creator admitted to not believing in any of them, but for the most part the topics covered were done reasonably respectfully.

Granted, I'm not a huge fan of 24 (I always missed the odd episode and was left without a clue as to what was going on), so I can only speak for what I've seen, but it always gave me the impression of a show that is trying to justify criminal activities if they're for the "greater good". A government(s) that wanted to remove peoples freedoms could use just this type of show to get the idea into peoples heads that bad things have to happen to bad people in order to protect the good people. This way the governments could slowly become increasingly brutal in their handling of the people and the people will simply believe that their best interests are at heart. Granted, it's not the best way to go about it, but it's a start. :)

I was actually going to start a thread the other day about computer games and their possible use in influencing peoples perceptions. The idea for the thread came to me when I was reading about Polybius. Polybius was an arcade machine that appeared in arcades in Portland, Oregon in the early 80's. The game was incredibly popular an people lined up to play it. The arcades were then visited by mysterious men in black (why is it always black. It's a dead giveaway!), who collected some sort of data from the machines.

Those who played the game reportedly started suffering from insomnia, nightmares and in some cases committed suicide.

Sadly, it's all just an urban legend (you can read about it here on wikipedia), but it did get em thinking about games and their use by "Them". On basic idea is, as I said with 24 above, getting people used to the idea of governments doing bad things to protect the citizens. Take for example something like the Call of Duty games who's multi-player sections are incredibly popular. In them, people are tasked to team up and kill their enemies. They don't question who their enemy is, or why they should kill them, they just want to kill as many as they can and get the highest score.

This sort of thing could be a way to desensitise the youth to make them more malleable for future brainwashing sessions (when they move onto watching 24!). Of course, this would all seem fantastical, but the US military has released a game called America's Army, which is another first person shooter game that pits the US against terrorists. And again it's a multi-player game, but in order to get to the multi-player sections, you have to pass some tests. You're tested in several areas and the information is fairly realistic(One user reportedly used what he learned in the medic training in the game to save two peoples lives after a car crash).

I know it's a long an fairly meandering post (I probably should of thought it out first), but I just thought I'd put it out their that if the powers that be wanted, there's many subtle ways to manipulate the people.

Polybius is on youtube, I'd watch it but considering the urban legend...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

We've moved fromTV showing CTs to TV asCT. :D
    That is actually an interesting point about 24 though, get people to mentally accept the concept of their government endorsing torture andthe like.

I've always wanted to get into X-Files, I was a bit young to appreciate it when it was first released.

I only got into the X files this year myself. Luckily, my partner is a movie/tv buff, we have the entire series on dvd, so I did a marathon weeks watching.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

I was watchin NCIS last night, the premis was that sopme Genetic scientist were workin on a secret project to target diseases at specific genomes, sound familiar??

also the bit that really worries me about NCIS (besides all the Ra Ra Yanks are great become a marine Semprte Fi Sh1te) is the presence of thje character Xeva David, a Mossad agent with no links to any US Law enforcement agency is one of the principal investigators, this is a bit odd to me, I never fully understood how the character came to bew in NCIS, considerin her Mosad double agent brother is the one who killed the bird she replaced.

Xeva is also a huge fan of the Jack Bauer method of interogation.

whats the angle??

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I've only ever seen a handful of episodes of that, but it always struck me as 24-lite. I don't know the Xeva character, but it sounds like they needed the Jack Bauer, do anything it takes, type of character but wussed out and made it a foreign agent so that America is still squeeky clean.

I always hated when being patriotic got in the way of a good story.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

I was watchin NCIS last night, the premis was that sopme Genetic scientist were workin on a secret project to target diseases at specific genomes, sound familiar??

also the bit that really worries me about NCIS (besides all the Ra Ra Yanks are great become a marine Semprte Fi Sh1te) is the presence of thje character Xeva David, a Mossad agent with no links to any US Law enforcement agency is one of the principal investigators, this is a bit odd to me, I never fully understood how the character came to bew in NCIS, considerin her Mosad double agent brother is the one who killed the bird she replaced.

Xeva is also a huge fan of the Jack Bauer method of interogation.

whats the angle??

It's the Zionists. It's just a PR campain for Mossad. So when we hear that they are taking over the world we will just expect some hot Mossad agents to come knocking. :D
    It is a strange one, in the story line she ended up killing her brother. Thus proving that she is one of the good guys, killing her own brother/fellow agent/country man for the good ol' USA.

At the end of the day it's just a TV show, doesn't have to stick to reality.

ah but aint that the topic of discussion here, whether art mimics life or life mimics art??*

*******art being used in th most generous terms, I wouldnt be all that keen on walters youngfella in fringe aither, bit toooooooosmarmy for my likin

humanji wrote: »
    I've only ever seen a handful of episodes of that, but it always struck me as 24-lite. I don't know the Xeva character, but it sounds like they needed the Jack Bauer, do anything it takes, type of character but wussed out and made it a foreign agent so that America is still squeeky clean.

I always hated when being patriotic got in the way of a good story.

tis aksherly a spinoff of a fairly average series called J.A.G.

Bruckheimer tho :eek: responsible or in the background for a lot of that sh!te

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

ah but aint that the topic of discussion here, whether art mimics life or life mimics art??*

This reminds me of a quote which I came across in something I'm reading at the moment...

"Personally, I believe that most people are influenced far more than they would care to admit by novels, serial stories, films and so forth...It is probable that many people who would consider themselves extremely sophisticated and 'advanced' are actually carrying through life an imaginative background which they acquired in childhood from (for instance) Sapper and Ian Hay"

As the quote refers to most people, it indirectly implies that life will - to a certain extent - mimic art, regardless of whether or not the art in question mimics life.

Somewhat relevantly, the quote comes from none other than George Orwell - some of who's works would make an excellent subject for analysis of the very question that MC put forward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

In a resent episode of Law and Order, a husband was using a RFID tag injected in his wife to keep track of her comings and goings. He hid sensors/gates in three locations to see what time she entered and left, then uploaded the info to his PDA.

Nothing mentioned about the Mark of the Beast though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

The X-Files was by far the best conspiracy tv show there has ever been. What about the Lone Gunmen spin-off from the X-Files ? Dont think that was ever broadcast in Ireland. 24 has gone to the dogs the last 3 seasons to be fair. Fringe is worth watching and the black guy really has the whole freaky conspiracy thing about him. Millenium was another X-Files creator Chris Carter show which was worth watching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭coopersgreen

Fringe is total rubbish. How convenient it is that the very week they have to deal with an invisible, two-headed, part-man, part-beast, succubus that Walter happens to have done research into that very thing in the past.

"Now, if only I can find my old notebooks".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭espinolman

There was a series out some years ago called 'Firefly' , ok its science-ficton but you see what it was about , mind-control , , government cover-ups and a totalitarian regime that was creating mind-controlled assassins which were controlled through television programmes ' - they see something on a television and it is a subliminal message which activates them.
    I thought it was brilliant.

bonkey wrote: »
    This reminds me of a quote which I came across in something I'm reading at the moment...

"Personally, I believe that most people are influenced far more than they would care to admit by novels, serial stories, films and so forth...It is probable that many people who would consider themselves extremely sophisticated and 'advanced' are actually carrying through life an imaginative background which they acquired in childhood from (for instance) Sapper and Ian Hay"

As the quote refers to most people, it indirectly implies that life will - to a certain extent - mimic art, regardless of whether or not the art in question mimics life.

Somewhat relevantly, the quote comes from none other than George Orwell - some of who's works would make an excellent subject for analysis of the very question that MC put forward.

Thats interesting, I was thinking about the imaginary value of money and society. None of its real yet we treat these things as such. We must be the only species, although its not certain, which negotiates between an abstracted reality and a tangible one, bridging interactions between two. Makes one think about re-defining what real is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭DubTony

In a resent episode of Law and Order, a husband was using a RFID tag injected in his wife to keep track of her comings and goings. He hid sensors/gates in three locations to see what time she entered and left, then uploaded the info to his PDA.

Nothing mentioned about the Mark of the Beast though :)

Yeah. That was an episode of SVU. The guys wife was cheating and Stabler said "He's invented a Ho-Jack". Funny.

As for Fringe, I think it's fantastic. It does bring up the question of what could happen if a rogue company got too big for its boots. In that regard Massive Dynamics could be compared to Monsanto. I'm talking about how some companies may feel they have the right to run roughshod over whoever they please. I really don't think Monsanto have experimented on children or created diabolical monsters or time machines. (Well, not yet anyway, but some of those GM crops might produce an oddity or two :D)

Anyway, I thought it quite humourous where Dunham ended up in the final episode of season one. But then we all know that J.J. Abrams (IMDB page) does love to mess with people heads.

BTW, for those who care, it has been renewed for a second season.

Ah yes Firefly

With Summer Glau :Drooooolz:

that were a Joss Whedon creation same guy who invented Buffy and Angel.

those shows also dealt with large ancient faceless entities Hell(pun i ntended ;) ) bent on destroying us all and a small but valiant group of humans defending us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 darkraverTC

I think they use them to lead us away.Like i went to see Angels and Demons last night.It has completely nothing to do with the illuminati appart from
    decieving robert langdon into going to the vatican
    .Its also dis-info.I loved fringe and x-files was just hidden in plain sight.You tell somebody a theory they say ''Of its just a conspiracy theory.I saw that on the tv last night they said it was just a theory.What it does is those programmes group us in with the ****ing retards e.g Alex Jones and the people who go and wear a ****ing tinfoil hat to stop alien rays.If aliens managed to get here in a space ship big and fast enough,something tells me that tinfoil wont do ****.If you use a tinfoil hat against microwaves you are retarded.
    /rant

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

Fringe is total rubbish. How convenient it is that the very week they have to deal with an invisible, two-headed, part-man, part-beast, succubus that Walter happens to have done research into that very thing in the past.

"Now, if only I can find my old notebooks".

Well... it'd be in the past any week after he did the research. So the week it happens in is nothing to do with the convenience :D

But yeah, that sounds like silly writing. I haven't watched it though, I will wait and see before I judge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

humanji wrote: »
    I think the X-Files probably handled conspiracies best out of all TV shows. The creator admitted to not believing in any of them, but for the most part the topics covered were done reasonably respectfully.

This sort of thing could be a way to desensitise the youth to make them more malleable for future brainwashing sessions (when they move onto watching 24!). Of course, this would all seem fantastical, but the US military has released a game called America's Army, which is another first person shooter game that pits the US against terrorists. And again it's a multi-player game, but in order to get to the multi-player sections, you have to pass some tests. You're tested in several areas and the information is fairly realistic(One user reportedly used what he learned in the medic training in the game to save two peoples lives after a car crash).

I know it's a long an fairly meandering post (I probably should of thought it out first), but I just thought I'd put it out their that if the powers that be wanted, there's many subtle ways to manipulate the people.

I've always been sceptical about the army releasing a game. Does it somehow get people 'lightly' trained, or slightly brainwashed into a love of war and weapons, "Woah, this gun is frickin awesome, give me some grenades, YAY!"

Advertisement