Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

vasectomy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭py

I'm going in to VI over the coming weeks so will be sure to detail my experience. Anybody any advice before going in? or for after care?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 RockDaddy

py wrote: »
    I'm going in to VI over the coming weeks so will be sure to detail my experience. Anybody any advice before going in? or for after care?

I got it done with them too. I gave an account of my experience a few weeks ago. Just relax for a few days after, don't have anything strenuous planned. It seems different for different men. But i would recommend taking it easy for a few days and have plenty of Ibuprofen at hand just in case, I used it for a few days just to help any swelling that may occur.

Could I just also recommend in taking notice in any pain or discomfort you may have over the next few weeks prior to the operation i.e. testicle or groin pain, headaches/migraines, muscle pain etc. even the slightest thing, you'd be amazed all you'd never take notice of, but might do after the operation!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

I had it done on Thursday. This thread was a constant go to for me over the last year, as I read it, reread it, and reread it again to get a handle on what I should do. I'm sure there are others reading this who are also in that same position, agonising over the decision and trying to use this thread to help them decide in the end.

I was particularly put off by 60cent's posts, and I'm sure that was his intention (not maliciously). But on the other hand I figured if he is the 1 in 1000 then as another member of this community I'm not likely to be. So in a way it pushed me into it.

There is definitely no conspiracy or coverup, the risks of various complications and potential long term pain were clearly explained at the start of the appointment, to the extent that honestly I nearly backed out!!

For me the experience was uncomfortable but not painful, if that makes sense. I'm on day 3 post procedure, and I haven't had any real pain. Some discomfort, but really at the minor end of it. I am taking it very handy though, basically layabout third day running (thanks to my wife who's running the household), and took 3 Nurofen plus on the first day as a precaution. I tend to experience minor twinges of discomfort or pain down there anyway the very odd time, so I reminded myself clearly of that beforehand, and haven't felt anything significantly worse than what I usually would.

Some of the things that people here have said they had, bad bruising, big swelling, etc., I don't have any of that so far. Of course it's early days and things can start to happen after a few days, but so far for me it has been uneventful. I had been gearing myself up to be in pain for days, with a ball sack the size of a melon, the colour of charcoal, etc., but so far nothing at all like that.

I would never explicitly recommend something like this to anyone, everyone has to make their own choices and has their own considerations, but I hope my addition to the thread is of some help to anyone who has it racing through their thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 apl1979

Hi, looking to schedule a vasectomy and just checking out the places that perform the procedure.

Anyone ever have the procedure done in Reproductive Choices Berkley Street, Dublin 7 and what was their experience of it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

I had it done a few weeks ago (after reading this thread a million times) and strolled out of the clinic 10 minutes after going in, it was handy and the most difficult thing about it was the nerves prior to going in.

My only advice is to absolutely heed what is said - I walked to my fiancée's office the next day - bout half an hour and it caused a decent bit of needless bruising and discomfort. Apart from that it was painless, handy and I am 100% now.

I'm about 3 weeks since having mine done with Vasectomy Ireland which is the no-needle no-scalpel method. All communication with Dr was via email which suited me fine. Discussed the procedure and booked a time. Once a booking was made I was provided with an FAQ for before and after the procedure.

Shaved the boys about 5 days beforehand in case I suffered an odd reaction to shaving there and also in case I missed any hairs and had to give it the once over again. I accidentally nicked a piece of skin around my perineum which produced a minuscule amount of blood but twas grand. :D

The day of the procedure I was in work (sedentary employment) and I got it done at lunch and working from home afterwards. Upon arrival to the clinic I had further chats about the risks, procedure and after care. I was provided with a jock strap which I fitted straight away and upon return to the room we got going.

Was warned that there would be an initial pinch but honestly didn't feel much. During the procedure, not sure if it was actual discomfort or just the thought of somebody with surgical utensils down there. It was a quick procedure and walked out about 20 minutes after entering.

The evening after the procedure I just sat on the couch till I was due to go bed. There was a small bit of blood on a piece of gauss provided by Dr but again, nothing to be alarmed at. Using the toilet didn't really present any problems directly afterwards or since. Having had genital piercings done before I was aware that a rush of blood to that area could cause some external blood flow but it wasn't something I experienced for the vasectomy.

For a few days after I was a little delicate and did a small amount of walking which caused no extra discomfort/pain. I was perhaps a overly cautious but better safe than sorry with something like this. Stopped wearing the jock strap after about 48 hours and resumed wearing of my normal underwear (hipster briefs) which again were fine and caused no issue.

Having discussed with the Dr after the procedure, I returned to cycling after 7 days. Nothing too lengthy, just a round trip to/from work of 15Km. I wear padded bib shorts so this certainly helped, unsure I'd have done it in jeans/shorts without padding. Was a little nervous doing this but other than a little discomfort, it was good to get a bit of exercise after a long 7 days.

Dr warned of some blood in first ejaculation afterwards but didn't experience it at all. No pain/discomfort in the area during/after sex either which occurred about 2 weeks after the procedure. Was quite a few other warnings to be concerned about but thankfully so far I've been quite happy with how I've felt since getting it done. Have to send in a sample in 3 months time to verify I'm in the clear.

I'm sure I've left out or forgotten some info so I'll post again if something springs to mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

py wrote: »
    Shaved the boys about 5 days beforehand in case I suffered an odd reaction to shaving there and also in case I missed any hairs and had to give it the once over again. I accidentally nicked a piece of skin around my perineum which produced a minuscule amount of blood but twas grand. :D

On this - absolutely follow what py did....I shaved the day before and it added to the discomfort - it was more uncomfortable than the 30 minute walk i previously discussed! Give yourself the few days - you do not want to add more discomfort on top of what you will experience!

• Re : Reproductive Choices Clinic.
    Got mine done there a few years ago.
    Very straightforward. Only a bit of discomfort during the procedure ( and the smell of burning flesh from the nether regions) . A bit of pain and discomfort for about a week afterwards. No regrets.

So I'm nearly 14 weeks post-procedure and I will be sending of a sample next week for analysis.

I'm just wondering did any of you have to do more than one test, due to a positive result? How long after procedure did you do the test in that case?

Did any of you just not bother with the test at all?

I have to say the whole experience has been great. No issues whatsoever, looking forward to getting the negative result now (never thought I'd ever say that!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭.red.

RockDaddy wrote: »
    So I'm nearly 14 weeks post-procedure and I will be sending of a sample next week for analysis.

I'm just wondering did any of you have to do more than one test, due to a positive result? How long after procedure did you do the test in that case?

I have to say the whole experience has been great. No issues whatsoever, looking forward to getting the negative result now (never thought I'd ever say that!).

I had to send in 2 samples, think about 2 weeks apart and both had to be negative.

• Advertisement

.red. wrote: »
    I had to send in 2 samples, think about 2 weeks apart and both had to be negative.

How long after procedure did you give first sample?

How long ago did you get it done?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,741 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

I had to send in 3.1st was clear. Second one showed "genetic material" and they asked for a 3rd 4 weeks later.

3rd one was clear.

Hellrazer wrote: »
    I had to send in 3.1st was clear. Second one showed "genetic material" and they asked for a 3rd 4 weeks later.

3rd one was clear.

Interesting..Diffetent clinics seem to have different procedures. I was told a minimum of 14 weeks and 25 ejaculations before sample. I'm ust giving the one sample. Might get another done myself.

I am personally very very sceptical of fertility clinics. My wife and I had a bad experience years ago, where vague diagnosis and extracting cash from customers was the main priority!

How long after procedure did you give first sample?

How long ago did you get it done?

About 3 years ago, first sample at 12 weeks and 2 weeks later again(I think)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

I just had to send a sample at 12 weeks and that came back clear. For my own peace of mind I got second sample done at 6 months. That was clear.
    I get a sample done every two years just to be sure..probably overkill but gives me the peace of mind...

harr wrote: »
    I just had to send a sample at 12 weeks and that came back clear. For my own peace of mind I got second sample done at 6 months. That was clear.
    I get a sample done every two years just to be sure..probably overkill but gives me the peace of mind...

Yes that seems like a good strategy. I'll be getting another done before the end of the year and every 18-24 months, no harm in it, cheap at twice the price!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

So got done a couple of days ago, no major pain except what feels like a tight groin strain on my right side between the sack and leg.
    I'm sure it's normal and hopefully will go away after a few days with rest.
    Just seeing if anyone here had anything similar?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 250 ✭✭Steviesol

I got it done in public hospital 10 weeks ago. Was knocked out , tender after , couldnt sleep on my side for a few nights or run for about two weeks.

First sexual experience was not painful , and no pain during sex at all. Desire still the same as before.

I think emotionally it was the hardest for me , couldn't help thinking I had made a mistake and interfered and knowing I couldn't have more kids.

But seem okay with it all now . First appointment for test is next week. I've always been very fertile , will be interesting to see.

Steviesol wrote: »
    I got it done in public hospital 10 weeks ago. Was knocked out , tender after , couldnt sleep on my side for a few nights or run for about two weeks.

First sexual experience was not painful , and no pain during sex at all. Desire still the same as before.

I think emotionally it was the hardest for me , couldn't help thinking I had made a mistake and interfered and knowing I couldn't have more kids.

But seem okay with it all now . First appointment for test is next week. I've always been very fertile , will be interesting to see.

Knocked out??..Jeez that seems a bit extreme. I was discussing the 6 Nations with my doctor while he was snipping away!

3 or 4 days of akward/uncomfortable feeling but no pain.

Got my results back there about three weeks ago and got the all clear!

• Advertisement

Knocked out??..Jeez that seems a bit extreme. I was discussing the 6 Nations with my doctor while he was snipping away!

3 or 4 days of akward/uncomfortable feeling but no pain.

Got my results back there about three weeks ago and got the all clear!

Yes in pretty sure you have to be knocked out in public hospital for vasectomy. Or else I asked , I can't fully remember.

I wouldn't have done it awake anyway, but that's just me. I'm not too good with operations .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

RockDaddy wrote:

Me!!!

April '17 I had my op done......

I am seven weeks post operation. Would anyone think there is sperm left at this stage ? Have emtpied about 20 times !

I am seven weeks post operation. Would anyone think there is sperm left at this stage ? Have emtpied about 20 times !

Yes, very likely. Minimum of 25 Ejaculations for starters, but more importantly the swimmers can survive more than 60 days in your tubes.

Keep him wrapped up!!

Yes, very likely. Minimum of 25 Ejaculations for starters, but more importantly the swimmers can survive more than 60 days in your tubes.

Keep him wrapped up!!

Just my luck . How do the swimmers survive though even after 20 ejaculations ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Have just signed up to join the club. Have a match on the 18th, so waiting until the following week to have it done. Any words of wisdom or advice?

• Advertisement

Just my luck . How do the swimmers survive though even after 20 ejaculations ?

I'm no doctor, but apparently they can survive downstream of the snip in the Vas for some time!

I'm no doctor, but apparently they can survive downstream of the snip in the Vas for some time!

Okay will have to wait for the pregnancy test. Was sure I was passed this.

A2LUE42 wrote: »
    Have just signed up to join the club. Have a match on the 18th, so waiting until the following week to have it done. Any words of wisdom or advice?

Get the no needle, no scalpel procedure.
    Take a day or two off. Thursday is a good day to get it done.
    Have a box of Ibrufen. I took them for two days even without pain, just to help with bruising /swelling.
    Shave the area beforehand.

You'll be uncomfortable for a few days, bruising swelling is normal. Be grand!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

RockDaddy wrote:
    Get the no needle, no scalpel procedure. Take a day or two off. Thursday is a good day to get it done. Have a box of Ibrufen. I took them for two days even without pain, just to help with bruising /swelling. Shave the area beforehand.

RockDaddy wrote:
    You'll be uncomfortable for a few days, bruising swelling is normal. Be grand!

Getting the same as you did, same guy. Hopefully it is all OK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

The wife has been at me for months but given up now. A lot of her buddies husbands have it but there's a snow ball's chance in hell that I will do that.

While I have 2 kids already and we have no plans for more I think mentally I could not handle the notion that I am walking around shooting blanks.

I know it's sounds silly but I would feel inferior or less of a man.

TBH....I could handle not having sex no problem rather than go for the snip.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

The wife has been at me for months but given up now. A lot of her buddies husbands have it but there's a snow ball's chance in hell that I will do that.

While I have 2 kids already and we have no plans for more I think mentally I could not handle the notion that I am walking around shooting blanks.

Hmm… it's not like you walk around thinking about how you're shooting blanks all the time. Tbh, it never enters my head.

I don't know… maybe my idea of being a man isn't tied up with the notion of whether the sperm I produce makes it to the outside world but to me, it seems a weird benchmark to have for your masculinity.

Being a good father to the kids I have would be a more important factor in what makes me feel more like a man than hypothetically still being able to have more kids I don't want.

Hmm… it's not like you walk around thinking about how you're shooting blanks all the time. Tbh, it never enters my head.

I don't know… maybe my idea of being a man isn't tied up with the notion of whether the sperm I produce makes it to the outside world but to me, it seems a weird benchmark to have for your masculinity.

Being a good father to the kids I have would be a more important factor in what makes me feel more like a man than hypothetically still being able to have more kids I don't want.

As I said it is silly and it's in no way a slight on guys who have had it done. It's just something in my own head.

I think if I dig deeper perhaps I am thinking about if myself and wife split up that it would be an issue in possible future relationships.

As I said it is silly and it's in no way a slight on guys who have had it done. It's just something in my own head.

I think if I dig deeper perhaps I am thinking about if myself and wife split up that it would be an issue in possible future relationships.

I'm forty now. If my wife and I were to split up in a few years and I eventually got with another partner, I'd have zero desire to go back to changing shítty nappies and sleepless nights heading into my fifties.

I'm forty now. If my wife and I were to split up in a few years and I eventually got with another partner, I'd have zero desire to go back to changing shítty nappies and sleepless nights heading into my fifties.

That was my thinking too,
    Plenty of time for sh1tty nappies when the grandkids come along.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭optogirl

You'd rather be celibate than responsible. OK.

I just cant understand lads that think like this. I have three children, I'm fertile as fu{k! But I don't want anymore children, we're happy out.

I don't want to wear condoms, I hate them. I don't want my wife on any birth control, shes been there, done that. Neither of us need that responsibility, we have enough on!!

Now we just have sex whenever and wherever we want, no disruptions, no worries, care free! A vasectomy is the only job!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

optogirl wrote: »

The thought of celibacy makes me weak!! :eek:

Couldn't handle that at all!

optogirl wrote: »

Think about that statement for a moment. Being celibate is the ultimate in responsibility.

....... wrote: »

While I am not a psychiatric it sounds like he had deeper underlying issues at play.

• Advertisement

While I am not a psychiatric it sounds like he had deeper underlying issues at play.

It's probably because he doesn't have to worry about possible unwanted pregnancies any more so he's more relaxed. I can't see it being any deeper than that.

The thought of celibacy makes me weak!! :eek:

Couldn't handle that at all!

I don't have the time or energy TBH. Two small kids very busy business to run- more important things going on in my life.

I have had sex and a lot of it over the years and...whatever...been there done that. Would rather a nice lie in now.:o

It's probably because he doesn't have to worry about possible unwanted pregnancies any more so he's more relaxed. I can't see it being any deeper than that.

Don't forget the not wanting kids part.

Neither of them want kids and they are happy in their relationship. What's the issue?

I would imagine that's the main part. The couple don't want kids. Now they have practically ensured that wont happen, of course they are more relaxed and enjoying sex more. Its not rocket science.

I don't have the time or energy TBH. Two small kids very busy business to run- more important things going on in my life.

I have had sex and a lot of it over the years and...whatever...been there done that. Would rather a nice lie in now.:o

Thats where we differ, I am in a similar situation but I would never let it get in the way of my sex life..never!

Maybe its and age or sex drive thing, but to me sex is very important in any relationship, its not the be all and end all, but very important all the same. Its the cause of many may break ups/divorce.

Its in the word really: "celibacy" derives from the Latin caelibatus, "state of being unmarried"

....... wrote: »

Thats the reason I dont want my wife to be on contraception. They are grand to a certain point in a relationship. But whats the point in messing with hormones when there is no need.
    As a working mother she has enough responsibility on her hands and does not need her hormones all over the place!!

• Advertisement

Thats the reason I dont want my wife to be on contraception. They are grand to a certain point in a relationship. But whats the point in messing with hormones when there is no need.
    As a working mother she has enough responsibility on her hands and does not need her hormones all over the place!!

This was the exact same for us. Hormones have been all over the place with the pill for years so it'll be a relief when test comes back with the all clear which is due to happen shortly.

Advertisement