Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sherlock [** SPOILERS **]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,028 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Only three episodes????????....what bullshiit is this?????
    Well.. it'll be 3 x 90 minute episodes. That'll do me.

That's 4 and a half hours.. most BBC dramas only run for 6 one-hour episodes a season (6 hours).

And of course taking into account how busy Moffatt is with his commitment to 'Who'.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

3 episodes works for me.

Having been bombarded the last few years by American TV "events", I'm sick to death of 20-24 episode seasons; too often it's too little story, dragged across too long a season, with too little a pay-off.

3 feature-length episodes is neat, tidy and can tell a perfectly epic arc if needed :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

10-12 episodes per season is ideal. Regarding BBC and Sherlock though, I think they are best off having 6 one hour episodes, as it stands I thought the three episodes were overlong and at times messy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Just got through watching the unaired pilot, 55 mins....it's basically a condensed version of what was broadcast, the majority of the dialogue is identical in many respects. The whole subplot with Dr. Watson in the phonebox and meeting with Sherlock's brother is gone, also no mention of Moriarity or the fact the cabbie was hired by him.

The scenes with the police press conference are gone, in this pilot Sherlock works out much earlier it was the cabbie, and the cabbie brings Sherlock back to his own home for the showdown and pills.

All the actors are the same in both, overall what was broadcast was superior, it was much more stylised, locations were better, characterisation and dialogue fleshed out.

I can see why it wasn't used, but nice to see a somewhat alternate version.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Just watched the second episode, which was okay (bit clichéd). What was interesting, to me, was when they were rifling through common books and picked up "Transitions" by Iain Banks. Just like it said on screen, the first word on page 19 is indeed cigarette. Nice attention to detail.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I just watched the final episode... and I believe the casting for Moriarty was one of the worst I've ever seen. Yes it did seem like it was Graham Norton - I felt it was almost a Father Ted moment. Moriarty is aloof, working in the shadows. He's not some screeching, camp twat. Woeful moment - left a bad taste in my mouth for this series. I just hope it's a mis-direction.

New details on series 2
    Sherlock - New episodes will be based on Arthur Conan Doyle's stories "A Scandal in Bohemia", "The Hound of the Baskervilles" and "The Final Problem."

I still have the last episode Sky+'d on my hard drive to be watched.

I'm very suprised to hear they'll have time for the second season so soon with Martin Freeman's schedule for 'The Hobbit'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

New details on series 2
    Sherlock - New episodes will be based on Arthur Conan Doyle's stories "A Scandal in Bohemia", "The Hound of the Baskervilles" and "The Final Problem."
    My favourite ones. Hurrah! :D
    Basq wrote:
    I'm very suprised to hear they'll have time for the second season so soon with Martin Freeman's schedule for 'The Hobbit'.

They've already been filming them for a while, haven't they?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Interesting choices, although my first reaction was to groan at the thought of yet another retelling of the Baskervilles-doggy story. It really has been done to death at this stage, and a bit of an obvious & unoriginal choice. But hey, the proof of the pudding 'n all that ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,533 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Basq wrote: »
    I still have the last episode Sky+'d on my hard drive to be watched.

Ah Brian, that was the best one. One of the best cliffhanger endings of 2010.

humanji wrote: »
    They've already been filming them for a while, haven't they?
    According to this (posted last week), they're rumoured to start filming next month.

Benedict Cumberbatch had been busy starring in Danny Boyle's Frankenstein play and that's still running til next weekend: http://www.viewlondon.co.uk/tickets/frankenstein-tickets-feature-3609.html
    Mr E wrote: »
    Ah Brian, that was the best one. One of the best cliffhanger endings of 2010.
    Might give it a watch this evening so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,549 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

pixelburp wrote: »
    Interesting choices, although my first reaction was to groan at the thought of yet another retelling of the Baskervilles-doggy story. It really has been done to death at this stage, and a bit of an obvious & unoriginal choice. But hey, the proof of the pudding 'n all that ...

yes but we haven't seen it done in decades so it is totally new to this generation
    anyway a classics a classic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Don't wanna spoil anything for myself so I'm not going to read the article, but when's it meant to be airing? Loved the first three eps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

Series 1 of Sherlock is being rebroadcast... starting tonight on BBC1 @ 20:30

S.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

BBC1 at 20.30, it's well worth a watch if you haven't seen it, the first episode anyway, the other two...not so much, set in modern day London.

Series two must be on the way if they're repeating this now.

If you like Luther, you'll like this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Write-up on the new series: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2016767/Sherlock-Benedict-Cumberbatch-rushed-hospital-scenes-new-series.html

I'm looking forward to it.
    I though all three parts were great in the first series - and I was very sceptical when I heard about this modern re-make first.
    I was won over I'm delighted to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

Just flicked onto it because im a sherlock holmes fan and had heard good things, ive been completely sucked in, brilliantly done so far.

Can any give me a run down of what happens up to watson meeting holmes? ive read study in scarlet so im sure its similar but i hate missing the start of shows.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

dr gonzo wrote: »
    ...Can any give me a run down of what happens up to watson meeting holmes?

In the TV series? (If memory serves me right)
    You didn't miss must that would effect later story-lines.
    Quick flashback scenes to Watson in army, getting injured in Afganistan (as in the original books as well), medic-vacueated out by chopper, recovery then meets Holmes through a friend who introduces them in a lab.

Delayed until 2012? :(

Gutted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭red dave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Really enjoyed this the past few weeks...missed it the first time round cos it seemed a little gimmicky but gave it a chance this round for lack of anything else on at the time. Guy who played Holmes is a great actor (saw him in some dramatisation of Stephen Hawking the other night), not really a fan of Freeman but he was good in this...the guy as Moriarty was a surprise last night: Irish I take it, but not seen him in anything before. Dialogue was witty and fresh, but still managed to stick to the tone of what you'd expect from classic Holmes...also nicely shot and probably looked great in HD...they caught a lot of the London scenery in a very flattering way.
    Anyway bit of a shock ending and then they say there's no follow up until next year? arrgggh

Basq wrote: »
    Delayed until 2012? :(

Gutted!
    Not surprising though? Martin Freeman is going to be involved with The Hobbit for the rest of the year at least I imagine, and it seems Benedict Cumberbatch (man I love saying that name!) is popping up in all sorts of things, bit of a hot prospect atm.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Not surprising though? Martin Freeman is going to be involved with The Hobbit for the rest of the year at least I imagine, and it seems Benedict Cumberbatch (man I love saying that name!) is popping up in all sorts of things, bit of a hot prospect atm.
    It's surprising enough actually.

They took a few months from filming 'The Hobbit' to allow cast and crew to focus on various things (filming isn't resuming until next month AFAIK). Freeman went to film 'Sherlock' so it'd definitely be in the later stages of filming right now (if it isn't already finished).

So a late 2011 release was definitely feasible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,233 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

^ i personally think Jim is not Moriarty, but someone Moriarty hired to play him...as in an actor, i also think if this guy is the real Moriarty then it's a huge let down....the characterisation is horrid, he just does not eminate nemesis or a foe capable of defeating Holmes.

That last episode was going nicely up until the reveal of Moriarty where it jumped the shark.
    The actor playing the part was completely wrong for the part,way too young and his voice,my God did he wander in off some pantomime stage ?
    Very disappointing casting,appalling to say the least.

Btw Moriarty only appeared in two of the original short stories and Watson never saw his face .
    Season 2 should be good as they are using 3 of the most famous short stories in it culminating with
    The Final Problem.

Filming on season 2 has been halted due to the riots: http://www.spoilertv.com/2011/08/sherlock-filming-halted-by-london-riots.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Yet another reason to hate the rioters! Grrr

Advertisement