Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vehicle Gallery - Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Capri, Thats a Mondeo from the Driving School on the Response part of the course.

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/77065/336912.jpg
    V similar one was in Athlone about ten days ago anywhere I looked it was approaching on blues and twos with four members on board

D Trent wrote: »
    V similar one was in Athlone about ten days anywhere I looked it was approaching on blues and twos with four members on board

There would be a few out at any one time and drive all over the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

foreign wrote: »
    Capri, Thats a Mondeo from the Driving School on the Response part of the course.

Was wondering alright, because the 2 shots were 24hrs apart yet similar time (2pm) , similar location (Drumcondra) and similar markings ;)

But I wonder are the markings meant to show that they're driving school as distinct from the full yellow stripe / TC battenberg :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

How hard is the driving course to pass? or is it even a pass/fail format?

Capri wrote: »
    Was wondering alright, because the 2 shots were 24hrs apart yet similar time (2pm) , similar location (Drumcondra) and similar markings ;)

But I wonder are the markings meant to show that they're driving school as distinct from the full yellow stripe / TC battenberg :confused:

Magnetic markings, just enough to be visible.

• Advertisement

carzony wrote: »
    How hard is the driving course to pass? or is it even a pass/fail format?

Plenty fail it. You can fail right up to the final drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Finally seen teapot 1 on the streets of London the other day. They had a joint checkpoint in operation, They had traffic jeeps of pajeros go out and get limos and trucks and bring them to this street where everything was being checked! They had Dept of transport there to check the trucks, DVLA to check tax and then the police to check everything else, Very slick with loads of equipment out on the road extra lights and even changing of street signs so no one would drive down the road.

But of course the most important van on the street was teapot 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭flazio

So, armed with this knowledge, I wonder how many drivers will feel it OK not to let the car through as there is no real emergency.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Old diesel

flazio wrote: »
    So, armed with this knowledge, I wonder how many drivers will feel it OK not to let the car through as there is no real emergency.

For most SENSIBLE drivers - its easier to just let the car go by on blues rather then waste time and energy wondering if its a driver training car.

Imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Old diesel wrote: »
    For most SENSIBLE drivers - its easier to just let the car go by on blues rather then waste time and energy wondering if its a driver training car.

Imo.

Or for most drivers they'll wait till emergency vehicle is right behind them - and sure they might even have time to overtake that car ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement

Any emergency driver should be able to 'read' the road ahead and plan the best way through - sometime not using the siren is a better option as other drivers tend to move the wrong way when they hear a siren thus blocking the EV completely :mad: or worse, moving forward thru a red light to try to get out of the way thus causing an accident :o

It's the EV driver's sole duty to get thru as safely and efficiently as possible without causing an accident - trying to 'train' other road users is a waste of time, witness the number of pedestrians/cyclists who just move out in front of EV's :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Any emergency driver should be able to 'read' the road ahead and plan the best way through - sometime not using the siren is a better option as other drivers tend to move the wrong way when they hear a siren thus blocking the EV completely :mad: or worse, moving forward thru a red light to try to get out of the way thus causing an accident :o

It's the EV driver's sole duty to get thru as safely and efficiently as possible without causing an accident - trying to 'train' other road users is a waste of time, witness the number of pedestrians/cyclists who just move out in front of EV's :eek:

What happens in the scenario where an accident is caused when someone is trying to facilitate your passage? Do you stop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Are the new students that are been rolled out are they been giving the driving course now or will they not have it. In Australia they teach you how to drive during the training.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

TallGlass wrote: »
    Are the new students that are been rolled out are they been giving the driving course now or will they not have it. In Australia they teach you how to drive during the training.

That might get up the nose of the people waiting over 10 years for one!

bravestar wrote: »
    That might get up the nose of the people waiting over 10 years for one!

Substitute might for will and you are spot on.

I probably should have specified the above are from various films, but as soon as I get a chance to pop down to my local library I will scan a few of my own photos.

The Corolla and 420 aroused my suspicions, the 'GARDA' on the Corolla is too big and it's not illuminatable , NEVER saw a 420 .
    The Mazda looks like a very basic model and the Bluebird was one of the original Traffic ones

In all fairness those vans are fairly bullet proof. Still i'm suprised they still have it in use after all those years lol

In all fairness those vans are fairly bullet proof. Still i'm suprised they still have it in use after all those years lol

Only used for what it says on the side. Nothing more.

I know a unit of Civil Defence that have a 95 transit still in very good nick.
    Incidentally, what are those buses for? I've seen a red one in Ballinasloe with the acronym RAPID on the sides, a white one in Tralee and a silver one in Athlone with the words "Community Policing" on the sides.

• Advertisement

Only used for what it says on the side. Nothing more.

That's what I thought.. probably never used

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

fair dues to the community policing lads that they've kept it serviceable this long . And if all that's wrong with it is the rust around the wheel arches it could run on a good while yet -

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Markcheese wrote: »
    fair dues to the community policing lads that they've kept it serviceable this long . And if all that's wrong with it is the rust around the wheel arches it could run on a good while yet -

Hard to judge the wheel arch rust from the pic.

Hopefully its just a dent and its rusted where the dent is....

I say hopefully because rear arches are a common Ford issue in that era - and afaik - it usually starts from the inside - meaning that it could be worse then we can see.

On the other hand it is an AGS vehicle and its lasted this long - so hopefully someones maintained it delligently meaning it might have been picked up in time - as I say it might just have rusted where it looks like the arch has dented.

I fear that may be wishful thinking though :(

I went through a phase of reading camper/motorhome magazines at one point - and from what I recall - that model Transit is noted for rusting as they age.

Hard to judge the wheel arch rust from the pic.

Hopefully its just a dent and its rusted where the dent is....

I say hopefully because rear arches are a common Ford issue in that era - and afaik - it usually starts from the inside - meaning that it could be worse then we can see.

On the other hand it is an AGS vehicle and its lasted this long - so hopefully someones maintained it delligently meaning it might have been picked up in time - as I say it might just have rusted where it looks like the arch has dented.

I fear that may be wishful thinking though :(

I went through a phase of reading camper/motorhome magazines at one point - and from what I recall - that model Transit is noted for rusting as they age.

I believe the rust was responsible for sending many of them vans to the scrapyard.

my mate had 2 of that shape transit and both ended up very badly rusted around the rear arches.

I believe the rust was responsible for sending many of them vans to the scrapyard.

my mate had 2 of that shape transit and both ended up very badly rusted around the rear arches.

That's my understanding too.

Not just Transits but other Fords have hit the scrappie due to rear arch rust.

The problem is - its from inside out - and it spreads around as well.

If it started from the outside it wouldn't be an issue as it would look unslightly and youd get it fixed while it was still a minor surface rust issue

That's my understanding too.

Not just Transits but other Fords have hit the scrappie due to rear arch rust.

The problem is - its from inside out - and it spreads around as well.

If it started from the outside it wouldn't be an issue as it would look unslightly and youd get it fixed while it was still a minor surface rust issue

I had this problem My 2000 focus it rusted around the rear shocks and eventually a big hole appeared and had to be welded. It's definitely common on the fords.

Those transits were great to drive and reliable though. I remember cutting down a huge tree and then cutting it into logs for the fire. My mates transit was filled to the top with heavy logs and it made it home no problem:D

I had this problem My 2000 focus it rusted around the rear shocks and eventually a big hole appeared and had to be welded. It's definitely common on the fords.

Those transits were great to drive and reliable though. I remember cutting down a huge tree and then cutting it into logs for the fire. My mates transit was filled to the top with heavy logs and it made it home no problem:D

FFS I thought they might have addressed it on the Focus :mad:

Hopefully that Transit isn't too bad :eek:

The bugger is crying out for preservation after all this time :D

FFS I thought they might have addressed it on the Focus :mad:

Hopefully that Transit isn't too bad :eek:

The bugger is crying out for preservation after all this time :D

My mates transit ended up in Uganda after they rebuilt the entire engine. A lad who exports them over to his country told us he bought 100's of them transits here and got them to Uganda where they rebuild them were needed and use them for at least another 5-10 years :D:D

These lads only buy the old type vans like transporters, transits they go mad for them..

They refuse to buy any of the updated crap :P:D

So, to repeat my question from earlier, who do the Gardaí transport in these buses and to where?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

flazio wrote: »
    So, to repeat my question from earlier, who do the Gardaí transport in these buses and to where?

Old people, youth groups etc

Advertisement