Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road running is fine...

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Strength work is massively important for sprinters. I would consider my 2 gym days to be as important as my hill and track days. It's the early season "long run" that I would ditch if I had to skip something for whatever reason.

I know strength training is very important for sprinters, that's how they get their power. It's not really what I'm talking about, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭aero2k

Very interesting discussion.

Just to give my own experience fwiw: like tfb I have never had a running injury. I do however have some problems that I believe are down to too many hours sitting in a bad posture. After a nice progression of race times from '08 - '10 I hit a plateau, and despite a couple of PBs early in '11 I was finding it hard to maintain the same consistency in training that had served me well in the past - typically managing 3 or 4 days per week instead of seven. After going round the houses looking for a solution I finally began a rehab program with Aidan Woods. This took 3-4 months to show benefits, but I was finally able to train properly and in 2014 I got my running back on track.

I do however believe that running has to be the priority, unless you have a serious injury that needs specific rehab. I did focus on more rehab since Rotterdam but now training for Dublin has kicked off I'll dial that back.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,846 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Now hang on a second. Ger Hartmann is a highly regarded professional who has worked with more world champions and Olympians than just about anyone else. He isn't just some random guy who is desperate to spout any old nonsense just to get his name in the papers. It very much looks to me like his words were taken out of context by some journalist and all of a sudden the message became that more than 40 minutes of jogging is bad for you. I am absolutely certain that Ger Hartmann does not hold that opinion. It would be absurd considering the kind of athletes he is working with.

Well said, I listened to the interview and all he suggested was run on soft ground if u could and cut one session from running and do core work instead of it. And he said don't cut an important session but an easy run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭libelula

Well said, I listened to the interview and all he suggested was run on soft ground if u could and cut one session from running and do core work instead of it. And he said don't cut an important session but an easy run.

But isn't cutting an easy run and increasing the ratio of sessions:easy runs a bad idea too? Too many hard runs in a week are going to cause injury too surely...

libelula wrote: »
    But isn't cutting an easy run and increasing the ratio of sessions:easy runs a bad idea too? Too many hard runs in a week are going to cause injury too surely...

He isn't saying increase the number of hard runs, but instead of a easy run day, do a core program instead.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭QuinDixie

I assumed he was talking about concrete and not tarmac.
    So running on roads is fine, but running on concrete footpaths in urban areas is not good for you.

He isn't saying increase the number of hard runs, but instead of a easy run day, do a core program instead.

No I got that, but the point I was making was that cutting an easy run is going to make the percentage of hard runs to easy ones higher is all. I was always told that *most* of your running week should be easy.

libelula wrote: »
    No I got that, but the point I was making was that cutting an easy run is going to make the percentage of hard runs to easy ones higher is all. I was always told that *most* of your running week should be easy.

But a rest day is a recovery day. Not all the days
    U need to be running.

He was saying to adopt the running for core because people didn't have the time for both, but u can do both if u like.

But a rest day is a recovery day. Not all the days
    U need to be running.

He was saying to adopt the running for core because people didn't have the time for both, but u can do both if u like.

Ah yeah fair enough I guess. Much of a muchness :)

Advertisement