Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insanity diet - Would love some advice!

Options
  • 26-02-2013 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi All,

Im a long term follower of boards but new to posting & my first question is a bit of a stupid one. I have read some of the other threads and stickies and just want to make sure I am right.

Just a bit of background about myself first. I'm 28, male, 5'6" and weigh 142lbs. Over the past 12 months I have lost about 30lbs through eating better (although still far from perfect) and doing the regular cardio / running / bit of weights in the gym. I have 17% body fat (we recently had a health day in work and it was measured by a nutritionist) I am pretty happy with my weight at this stage although some fat remains on my stomach.

This year I have decided to set myself a challenge and have decided to do the Insanity plan. Luckily, I like and eat alot of the food on it so it should be pretty good & I intend to stop all of the bad foods I had been eating.

My goal from Insanity, is to tone up some of the spots that are there and build some muscle. Nothing crazy, just tightening it all up. I have completed the calculation on calorie intake and it says I should be eating 2485 calories. This seems like a lot. Eating 500 below that cuts weight and 300 above to gain weight. My question is which should I do? If I want to tone up do I need to cut calories, or stay with the recommendation to tone and build muscle. I was also wondering where my body fat % should be to be more toned

I think I need to keep at around 2000 cals which is still more than I am eating now, but on better foods, to cut the last few pounds of fat that are there. I'm just not sure if I am right.

Am I right or completely wrong :confused:

Really appreciate any advice in advance.

All the best
    Ghjnr

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭gmarty

Hey, if you are looking to tone up I would stick to a calorie intake of 2000 per day beginning. Those awkward spots will melt away, however if you find yourself tired throughout the day, before or after your workout you will need to increase your calorie intake. It's a matter of trial and error beginning but be patient. I would recommend using the formula provided in the diet plan to calculate your daily calorie intake, it's the blueprint for success. You wouldn't build a house without a blue print?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

Fair play, that's a lot of weight loss. 17% is a good bf% to have in proportion to the rest of the population, but many here may think that high.

I assume, when you say "toning up", you mean look more defined, which probably means more muscle and less fat. At 5'6", and 142lbs, I further assume you are of slight build if you are 17% bf.

Regarding calorie consumption, it's your choice what you want to do - build muscle or lose the fat. If you think you have enough muscle that will be defined if you lose some fat, then eat at a deficit till you lose that fat.
    If you think you are short on muscle and if you lost more fat, you would look just skinny, then you may want to go on a muscle building program and eat accordingly.

As for Insanity, I have only done the first 4 days so far, and I find it more fo a cardio program so good for fat burning and maybe some slight muscle work that would more than likely help retain what you have in the absence of a resistance program, but I doubt (from what I have seen and read) that you will see any additional muscle in completing the program. I see Insanity as more of assisting with cutting fat.

BTW: I am not following the Insanity nutritional program as I don't think there is anything particularly special in it - any decent diet will suffice.

Advertisement