Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

I don't feel like I've been eating that badly.. But somehow gained a load of weight!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭yankinlk

I really think you could try making an attempt at making your own breakfast in the morning and maybe preparing your lunch the night before to bring in? You save a small bit and more importantly you'd be able to track much more accurately how much you were eating and what is going in to your body.

It just isnt realistic to say you HAVE to prepare your own food in order to eat healthy and lose weight. I find that is the biggest stumbling block when offering someone advice. Once they think they don't have time to prepare food, they can then easily say i might as well eat whatever, and start again tomorrow.

Every time you make a food choice, you have a chance to make a good decision, whether its at home, in the shop, at a restaurant, etc.
    If you are serious about losing the weight, you have to be prepared to make serious changes.

Agreed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

yankinlk wrote: »
    It just isnt realistic to say you HAVE to prepare your own food in order to eat healthy and lose weight. I find that is the biggest stumbling block when offering someone advice. Once they think they don't have time to prepare food, they can then easily say i might as well eat whatever, and start again tomorrow.

Every time you make a food choice, you have a chance to make a good decision, whether its at home, in the shop, at a restaurant, etc.

Agreed.

Well yes in a restaurant or at a shop you can choose healthier options but I was talking about making his own breakfast/lunch instead of eating out of the canteen at work so that he'd save a bit and he'd know everything that's going into the food and be able to control what he is eating better, not to mention he can track it much better on My Fitness Pal. I just think that it would take 5/10 mins to make a good healthy breakfast and 15 mins the night before to make a filling healthy lunch.

In the canteen he can't control what extras that may be going into the food that he isn't aware of especially with regard with sauces not to mention portion sizes. I just think if he really wants to drop the weight then making his own breakfast and lunch is setting up good habits for the future. Where you have the option of controlling what you eat, you should. I wonder OP, what's your exercise regime like too? Diet is very important but some exercise will help you lose weight and give you more energy, even if it's only 10-15 mins a day, it's a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Danger781

I wonder OP, what's your exercise regime like too? Diet is very important but some exercise will help you lose weight and give you more energy, even if it's only 10-15 mins a day, it's a start.

Varies week-to-week. I play soccer for 60 - 90 minutes twice a week, once with work once with the lads. I'm playing three times this week. Other than that, the odd time I'll walk with the girlfriend when she walks her dog.

Bought a car recently so I've been driving everywhere! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Danger781

BlueIsland wrote: »
    "I found tracking food to be utterly tedious and it removes all the joy from cooking".
    When do you cook? Canteen, parents, takeaways. Serious question.

Before I got this job I used to cook all my meals. I hated people cooking for me. Like I said a few posts back I was following a keto lifestyle for a few months, and since none of my family were doing it I was cooking all of my own meals to ensure they met my requirements. I loved it. I loved the cooking, I loved the food, I loved trying new ideas for meals. I rarely tracked anything - Just the odd day now and again to ensure I had an idea of the correct macros.

Then I tried going back to a 'normal' diet, tracking what i ate, trying to eat the right foods, and felt restricted and started to enjoy cooking less and less. Slowly the motivation to eat right, changed to trying not to eat too much crap, to lets just eat whatever i feel like. Nowadays I probably cook maybe twice a week and it tends to be whatever is fast. Find cooking to be boring now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

Danger781 wrote: »
    Varies week-to-week. I play soccer for 60 - 90 minutes twice a week, once with work once with the lads. I'm playing three times this week. Other than that, the odd time I'll walk with the girlfriend when she walks her dog.

Bought a car recently so I've been driving everywhere! :pac:
    That doesn't look bad!:) Activities that you enjoy or do with friends are activities that you are more likely to stick too and you won't notice the time passing. Personally, I hate the thought of the gym and would much rather go outside to workout, join a club or workout at home, but maybe getting weights or doing some weight training in the gym ever so often might be an idea or getting weights for home or borrowing from friends if they have any that they may not be using! Also, maybe you could look up HIIT workouts on line as well that would only take a small amount of time but would at least get your heart rate up and get you moving!:)
    Before I got this job I used to cook all my meals. I hated people cooking for me. Like I said a few posts back I was following a keto lifestyle for a few months, and since none of my family were doing it I was cooking all of my own meals to ensure they met my requirements. I loved it. I loved the cooking, I loved the food, I loved trying new ideas for meals. I rarely tracked anything - Just the odd day now and again to ensure I had an idea of the correct macros.

Then I tried going back to a 'normal' diet, tracking what i ate, trying to eat the right foods, and felt restricted and started to enjoy cooking less and less. Slowly the motivation to eat right, changed to trying not to eat too much crap, to lets just eat whatever i feel like. Nowadays I probably cook maybe twice a week and it tends to be whatever is fast. Find cooking to be boring now.
    And did you lose weight when you followed this? If that worked for you, maybe it is time to reconsider it but you have too be serious about your portion sizes and really watch that. You can overeat even when you are eating healthily.

One trick is to get smaller plates/bowls to trick your brain into thinking you are eating more than you actually are and makes you put less on the plate. The more empty space there is on the plate the more likely you are to try and fill it up. Trying new ideas for meals is great and will keep you interested and more likely to stick to your diet.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭lighterman

To be honest I think you need to ask yourself what's handiest?

The cheaper version and keeping the weight or the still cheap version and losing the weight.

Would you not ignore the canteen and cook your own meals

Grill some bacon/egg maybe some mushrooms the night before. Takes no more than 10/12 mins.bring it with you the next morning and use the microwave or have an early breakfast and have it before you leave the house.

Forget the wraps. The only wrap I use is iceberg lettuce wrapped around some ham/turkey ,peppers etc.

boil up some veggies, throw in to food processor and do some soup. there's 3 days supply if you want it.

Cook loads of it and freeze it. Shepherds pie, chicken/beef curry. all easy

Its easy enough to lose weight but you have to want to and you have to be prepared to be a small bit of work and pre-planning

• Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

In the canteen he can't control what extras that may be going into the food that he isn't aware of especially with regard with sauces not to mention portion sizes.

That's not really true.
    Just because a canteen might serve larger than required portions, you don't have to eat it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

I'm not sure whether I'm looking for advice or just need a rant but I'm pretty sad after checking the scales just now. Last time I weighed myself I was 214 so figured I'd make some very minor changes to try and lose a few lbs. This was on the 18th. Just jumped on the scale to find myself at 220.. Disgusted!

I eat a healthy breakfast.. Two eggs with two slices of brown bread, with a bowl of fruit topped a small bit of yoghurt.. Lunch can be anything from meat and veg, to chicken curry, to pasta carbonara.. Depending what's on the menu..

I haven't been eating specifically terrible lately for so much of a jump. I'm not exactly a role model for healthy eating but I'm not knocking back a can of coke and bar of chocolate for lunch every day either. I've started playing soccer twice a week as well for 60 - 90 minutes.

I've more or less gained a stone of weight in a relatively short period of time.
    That is not a healthy breakfast. Processed foods. Bread/pasta etc are all bad carbs and are essentially fattening. Cut down those to zero. Google paleo food/eating and have a read. Do that for a few months with a bit of exercise( your soccer should suffice) the weight will fly off you. Once your down to the weight you want just modify it to 5 days a week and take the weekends off within reason and eat normally but don't go downing loaves of bread on the days off! You could be playing all the footy you want and farting around in the gym but if your eating wrong, you'll continue to have weight issues.

Each meal should have 3 components. Fat, protein and carbs. There are many bad fats. Get your carbs from vegetables.

So for breakfast, You might have scrambled eggs (protein) cooked with sea salt and coconut oil (fat) and mushrooms/spinach (carbs).

For snacks, might have an apple or boiled egg with some slices if cucumber. Salad and white meats for lunch/ dinner (meats = chicken, fish etc). Anyway, google paleo eating and you'll get loads of receipies. Preparing your food is a bit of a pain but if you can get what you need from the canteen it should help. You'll probably have a bit of withdrawal symptoms for a few days but more energy and you'll feel great. you certainly wont feel sad again about your weight Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭CaptainAhab

Another suggestion:

Breakfast - full fat greek yoghurt with blueberries, raspberries and macadamia nuts (takes 45 seconds to prepare and all available in Lidl bar nuts which are in Tesco

Lunch - Salad with leaves, olive oil, parsley, balsamic vinegar, and either A: (hard boiled eggs mashed with mayo and some cheese), B: Beef steak/tuna steak and mashed avocado or C: Remains of a roast chicken with mayo and sundried tomatoes - a lunch such as this takes me 20 mins in the morning to prep although you can also make it the previous evening.

Hope that helps

Advertisement