Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi Manuka Honey

Options
  • 20-02-2011 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭

Most of us know the benefits of Manuka honey and most of us also know how horrendously expensive it is, I bought some in Aldi for something like €4.59 and wondering if it is any good. Its Kelcree Gold Active 10+
    Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

I dont know why you would pay that much for honey, what is it magical properties over other honey?

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭alanajane

Too numerous to mention, have a look here.

http://manukahoney.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

How do people usually "consume" it, in tea? on toast? both?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

WHIP IT! wrote: »

Straight off the spoon for me,

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭alanajane

Me to! It really lovely, but great on toast or hot lemon or any way you'd normally use honey.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭Gingersnaps

Every morning in my porridge,....Yum Yum :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Thanks for that - and the OP's question, is the Aldi one 'up to scratch' so to speak?

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭zbluebirdz

I use MH for "medicinal purposes" - mixed with lemon & ginger tea, and if having a hot cocoa drink, a sweetner ... (straight cocoa is hard to drink!). :)

Sometimes straight off a spoon if my throat feels a bit off ... just let it slowly slide off your tongue ... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Rumple Fugly

It can be used on cuts or wounds too, or just down the throat on a spoon! Interested to know more bout this Aldi stuff, normal manuka from a health shop is a bit pricey to be spreading on toast! ;)

just bumping this post up as I'm also interested to know if the Aldi manuka honey is as good/beneficial as the mainstream brands? Anybody know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭GirlOfGlass

I read that if the honey doesn't have the letters 'UMF' on the jar then it's not the legit stuff. Apparently a lot of it if knock off stuff, just normal honey in disguise. The manuka honey from Aldi doesn't have UMF on the jar, which is why it's probably much cheaper than the manuka honey you can get in health shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭zbluebirdz

I read that if the honey doesn't have the letters 'UMF' on the jar then it's not the legit stuff. Apparently a lot of it if knock off stuff, just normal honey in disguise. The manuka honey from Aldi doesn't have UMF on the jar, which is why it's probably much cheaper than the manuka honey you can get in health shops.

Thanks for pointing out that not all manuka honey are equal.
    More information can be found here:
    http://manukahoney.com/resources/umf.html

The Kilgree Honey is 100% manuka, with active antibacterial level of 10+, but may or may not have the UMF antibacterial property.
    It may or may not have been tested for UMF.

So to answer the OP's question: Maybe ...

zbluebirdz wrote: »
    Thanks for pointing out that not all manuka honey are equal.
    More information can be found here:
    http://manukahoney.com/resources/umf.html

The Kilgree Honey is 100% manuka, with active antibacterial level of 10+, but may or may not have the UMF antibacterial property.
    It may or may not have been tested for UMF.

So to answer the OP's question: Maybe ...

Thanks for that. The link explains it really well. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 DazUK1

If the jar/container does'nt have the UMF mark then it cannot be verified as genuinely having the 'active' naturel ingrediant and so therefore not guarentee being a legitimate Manuka honey with It's medicinal properties and you could be wasting your money. Also, talking of wasting your money, do not mix manuka honey with anything hot especially water as that will destroy the properties you are buying the manuka honey for in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

My parents regularly buy the €15 stuff in the health shop, and swear by it - my dad reckons it's the reason he's still alive and doing fantastically well after having been diagnosed with terminal cancer nine years ago!

They make me take it when I'm home and when I have a hangover throat (i.e. no voice), I have to say, it does make me feel a lot better straight away. It's good stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 DazUK1

Also, if super health foods is your thing then why not include wheatgrass too, powdered or fresh - the properties in wheatgrass are amazing - search engine it and you will find out what amazing medicinal purposes it has so Manuka Honey + Wheatgrass = superhuman = )

• Registered Users Posts: 8 sacco

I had a jar of the manuka from aldi at home. I had a sore throat and could fell a tiny lump in my throat when i put my finger back there. The pain was like the begining of a sore throat when your getting sick. I gargled the manuka from aldi that night and the next morning i was back to normal.

My mother had a friend in hospital who had bed sores on his legs, the nurse put manuka on it and it sorted him out too, i dont think it was the aldi stuff though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 paul mc ardle

HAVING RESEARCHED THE SOURCES AND THE BENEFITS-SIDE EFFECTS OF MANUKA HONEY I HAVE COME TO THE CONCLUSION THAT IT IS PROBABLY THE MOST NUTRITIOUS AND HEALTHIEST PRODUCT ON THE SHELVES.SAVE UP FOR A JAR ,IT'S WORTH IT.ONE TEASPOON PER DAY IS SUFFICE FOR ANYONE LIVING IN THE BRITISH ISLES.EXPERTS MAINTAIN THAT THE BENEFITS OF ANY HONEY ARE BEST REALISED IFSOURCED FROM LOCAL HIVES !----THE UMF ISSUE AND THE ALDIS PRODUCT ARE INDEED DEBATABLE. IN THE MEANTIME, JUST ENJOY IT !!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Mostly scam

Link

tldr;

Medicinal if sterilised and applied externally.
    It's either Manuka or it's not. 90% of Manuka is sold for medicine. Supermarkets seem to have 3000% of the rest of the Manuka.

Advertisement