Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post "Sorry we missed you" notices

Options
  • 21-07-2009 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭

I love in an apartment block that has a stack of mailboxes just inside the main doors.

What I have discovered is that when there is a parcel to be delivered to any flat in the block the postman fills out a "Sorry we missed you" card before he leaves the depot and then deposits it in the appropriate mailbox. We are then expected to go to the depot to pick up the parcel.

My wife is on maternity leave and is pretty much always in the flat, except then she has take trips out to the depot to pick up parcels. When she confronts the depot staff about this they say they do it because it's easier for them as they don't want to be typing numbers in to door entry systems and waiting for people.

I've even caught the postman putting one of these notices in our letterbox. When I mentioned that I was the resident of flat 50 and I could take the parcel he just shrugged his shoulders and said it's at the depot.

What's worse is that we have received some registered post that has not been signed for, the postman just put it in our mailbox like ordinary mail. This is despite the sticker on the envelope saying that it must be signed for.

Is this really standard practice for An Post? I find it hard to believe they can refuse to make at least one attempt at delivery because they don't fancy waiting around for people to answer intercoms? They have been paid to deliver these packages to a specific address and not just the depot.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

So you expect him the go door to door in over 50 flats?
    I know if I was a post man I wouldn't, would be a massive waste of time during his/her day

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Make a complaint both those practices are outrageous. Alternatively post yourself a registered letter with a value of 5000 euro. State its a diamond or some such thing. Then claim you never got it. They wont have a sig so they will have to give you 5k. That will teach them a lesson.
    Cabaal wrote: »
    I know if I was a post man I wouldn't, would be a massive waste of time during his/her day

Door to door no - but ring your bell yes. According to the OP they are not even bringing the parcel with them. Its hard to believe you are defending these idiots. They are paid to deliver it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭mehmeh12

But hes a postman..this is his job! why bother paying extra for registered post if he won't deliver it properly?

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭grundie

All they have to do is type a number and wait a for maybe 10-20 seconds for an answer. If no answer comes then drop in the notice.

They have been paid to deliver these packages to a specific address. I find it amazing that they can decide to not bother delivering them because they can't be bothered waiting for people.

mehmeh12 wrote: »
    But hes a postman..this is his job! why bother paying extra for registered post if he won't deliver it properly?

Incidentally, one such letter contained both mine and my sons passports. It was marked as coming from the passport office and our mailboxes can be opened very easily.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

I live on the edge of Dublin 1 (Dublin 7 postal region) and the postman always just drops off the card. I've seen him at the door of the apartment block making no attempt to deliver anything to anyone. I complained to the post office but I wouldn't hold my breath. When I was collecting a parcel one time I said it to the guy at the counter and he says "Ah Johnny he just leaves the cards", they all know he doesn't bother to deliver.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭gav86

grundie wrote: »
    Incidentally, one such letter contained both mine and my sons passports. It was marked as coming from the passport office and our mailboxes can be opened very easily.

Passports are express post and as far as i know do not have to be signed for, just faster than normal posting.

gav86 wrote: »
    Passports are express post and as far as i know do not have to be signed for, just faster than normal posting.

Our block of flats is on a list that the passport office requires a signature for due to higher than average level of mail going missing. The called me to let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

But isn't that what an post are paid to do? You know deliver stuff to the address on the parcel. If they want to offer a collection discount that's fair enough but why should someone pay for postage when an post won't deliver it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Yeah, one guy did that with me recently. The office told him to go back and deliver it and he started screaming abuse at me. A-hole

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

I think he is talking about parcel delivery/registered post not normal post (for which you use the boxes on the ground floor)

The parcel delivery/registered post is supposed top attempt to deliver to a person and if no one there then leave note

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭eden_my_ass

I've had the exact same problem in an apartment building with perfectly functioning doorbells, complained a few times but it has continued. To those that think apartments are too much hassle, how come its fine for a postman to drive 5 miles up a country lane to deliver to some well hidden home, but an apartment in a town centre with easy access and doorbells is too much for them to attempt? Taking the piss....or maybe its cause we don't tend to know the postman like you would in a more rural setting so they feel they can't get any grief for it ;)

Riskymove wrote: »
    I think he is talking about parcel delivery/registered post not normal post (for which you use the boxes on the ground floor)

The parcel delivery/registered post is supposed top attempt to deliver to a person and if no one there then leave note

Exactly! But the postmen aren't even leaving the depot with the parcel, just a note expecting me to come and pick it up.

It wouldn't be so bad if their depots opened past 5:30pm - the time when most people leave work and are able to go and pick up such packages.

I've had the exact same problem in an apartment building with perfectly functioning doorbells, complained a few times but it has continued. To those that think apartments are too much hassle, how come its fine for a postman to drive 5 miles up a country lane to deliver to some well hidden home, but an apartment in a town centre with easy access and doorbells is too much for them to attempt? Taking the piss....or maybe its cause we don't tend to know the postman like you would in a more rural setting so they feel they can't get any grief for it ;)

You're right though people don't know them in town so they don't bother doing their jobs properly. And sure who's going to make them.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭itsallaboutme!!

Why would they have to knock on 50 doors all apartment building ive ever seen all have individual doorbells/buzzers all they have to do is ring the buzer wait for an answer then drop the note if they don't get one! same as knocking on the door of a house really would take all of 30 seconds! not really wasting time if its their job to deliver post is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Why would they have to knock on 50 doors all apartment building ive ever seen all have individual doorbells/buzzers all they have to do is ring the buzer wait for an answer then drop the note if they don't get one! same as knocking on the door of a house really would take all of 30 seconds! not really wasting time if its their job to deliver post is it?

Besides which, the problem is only with parcels - it's very unlikely that there'll be parcels for more than a couple of the residents in any one day!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,839 ✭✭✭daheff

i've had them just dump parcels at my door when people werent there...and then put in slips saying nobody was there (when we were at home) when they called.

typical public sector staff who dont give a toss about their work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Twin-go

I also have an issue with an post. We live in Shannon but both of us (the Wife and I) work in Limerick. Come home in the evening to find a "sorry we mised you" note from an post. Thing is in Shannon Parcels can only be collected between 10am and 2pm - WTF. We either have to take time off work or get a neighbour to collect for us. Neither ideal. They should open later so parcel can be picked up in the evening.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭the_god_swan

I live in an 1 door door street side in D8, a number of registed letters come to the house because my brothers has work contacts abroad. So the first couple of times we were genuinely and a 'missed note' was left, fair enough. But now the ****ers dont even knock anymore and assume no one is in, a leave 'missed notes' when we are home. And the boys in the pick up office on Thomas St dont give a **** when confromed about this.

Cork city a few years back, each morning i make my way through the city coming home from a night shift. I come across a post man, late 20's/early 30's, no visible health problems. This lad is kicking the bottom of a door of someones house trying to get the letter in. Now in all fairly a size 10 boot is not going to gentle guide the letter under the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

grundie wrote: »
    Exactly! But the postmen aren't even leaving the depot with the parcel, just a note expecting me to come and pick it up.
    In a weird way I don't mind this, given that a lot of people aren't at home during working hours. Therefore the postman has to carry a parcel all day that isn't delivered as well as wasting time trying to deliver it (imagine multiplied by 10 or 20)
    It wouldn't be so bad if their depots opened past 5:30pm - the time when most people leave work and are able to go and pick up such packages.

This is the major issue for me - the fact that the opening hours don't suit working people, or that they don't open on a Saturday - even a half day on Saturday morning would be fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Twin-go wrote: »
    I also have an issue with an post. We live in Shannon but both of us (the Wife and I) work in Limerick. Come home in the evening to find a "sorry we mised you" note from an post. Thing is in Shannon Parcels can only be collected between 10am and 2pm - WTF. We either have to take time off work or get a neighbour to collect for us. Neither ideal. They should open later so parcel can be picked up in the evening.:mad:

Why not just get items delivered to work then? Why do you order parcels to your home when you know you are not going to be there?

• Company Representative Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Gamesnash.ie: Pat

kmick wrote: »
    Make a complaint both those practices are outrageous. Alternatively post yourself a registered letter with a value of 5000 euro. State its a diamond or some such thing. Then claim you never got it. They wont have a sig so they will have to give you 5k. That will teach them a lesson.

Door to door no - but ring your bell yes. According to the OP they are not even bringing the parcel with them. Its hard to believe you are defending these idiots. They are paid to deliver it.

There is a cap on what an item can be registered for - if memory serves me it is €300 so you can claim all you want its a diamond but you wont be paid for it. :)

Our block of flats is on a list that the passport office requires a signature fhttp://boards.ie/vbulletin/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=61241922or due to higher than average level of mail going missing. The called me to let me know.
    But did they send it out registered or express ? If it was sent out express post then there was no signature required.
    dudara wrote: »
    In a weird way I don't mind this, given that a lot of people aren't at home during working hours. Therefore the postman has to carry a parcel all day that isn't delivered as well as wasting time trying to deliver it (imagine multiplied by 10 or 20)

This is the major issue for me - the fact that the opening hours don't suit working people, or that they don't open on a Saturday - even a half day on Saturday morning would be fantastic.

I know that Coolmine is open on Saturday mornings. I assumed they all were :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,088 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

dudara wrote: »
    Surely this is "their" problem to sort out? If they need to send one guy in a van with the parcels then so be it. If I pay extra to have a parcel delivered/registered and someone has to go out of their way to pick it up from a depot then Im not getting the service that I paid for.
    Im amazed that you are defending this practice tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Imo they should just make all these lazy idiots redundant, and give their jobs to some of the 300,000 odd people on the dole who would give their left arm for a job

But did they send it out registered or express ? If it was sent out express post then there was no signature required.

It was registered. The passport office called me to let me know they would be sending it registered and would need someone to be in to get a signature. My wife was in, but the postman did not ring our bell.
    I know that Coolmine is open on Saturday mornings. I assumed they all were :confused:

Not Tallaght!

In addition, the Tallaght office never checks for ID when we collect a parcel, event though they should. Also, came home today to find an A4 rigid envelope on top of the mailbox stack as the postman couldn't get it in our mailbox - again there was someone in but no knock.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Same in Waterford, often met the (lovely) postman who tells me there's a parcel in the office for me but he thought I'd be in work but he'll have it tomorrow.

I only get items thet have to be delivered to the credit card bill address to my home.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

GreeBo wrote: »
    Im amazed that you are defending this practice tbh.

I'm not per se defending it, I just can see an odd logic to it, annoying as it may be.

It's the opening hours at the depots that's my major gripe.

They either deliver parcels or they don't. They're supposed to deliver parcels but it looks like it's widespread practice for them not to. Only once did we ever get a parcel out of at least 20 deliveries which is an utter joke. I'm guessing the regular guy was out that particular day. I had to go 25 minutes in the opposite direction to which I would normally travel to collect each parcel.

I appreciate that it's more efficient for them to do this but it really isn't for me and I'm paying for a service I'm not getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭Pixied

Hi

I live in an apartment in south dublin and have the same problem. I am at home all day, and last year I had 6 parcels being delivered over 4 weeks and not once did they ring the door bell. I rang customer services, the number is on the back of the notice. The number re-directs to the GPO I think so you don't get your local depot when you ring.

I explained the situation to them and stood my ground, they may try to make excuses initially but they will contact the inspector in your local depot and register your complaint. In the end, for me, it was a helpful process although last week I had the same problem again for the first time in ages.

It really makes me mad, I had no car and a baby at the time and I could not get to my local depot- but then why should i?? I was there. I often think about the poor old people who may experience the same problem. And people who find it expensive to pay for postage in these times. Shame on these postmen!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

In fairness, it's not a waste of time, it's his job.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement