Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Drivers caught on mobiles to face €1,000 fine"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭silverbolt

Zascar wrote: »
    As someome mentioned already, I make calls while driving and my concentration remains fully on the road - I may stop talking or listening to the person on the call, but my driving is the priority. It's no more distracting than having someone in the car. I have a proper cradle in my car - and a "Car Mode" app that makes everything big and easy - mainly i use voice recognition to call people so I only touch the phone once and speak. I also use Google Maps for navigation as I find it better than my TomTom.

They can fek right off if they think I deserve a €1000 fine for doing this.

If its in a cradle or a bluetooth thats one thing. But when its some idiot with the phone up to his nose texting, or with it up to thier ear

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Absolutely. Holding phone to face, or texting while driving - totally stupid and punish away. But when in a proper cradle with bluetooth - that should be allowed - for calls and gps. As long as you are not typing a text while in the cradle or brosing facebook while on the motorway etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

It's Ivor Callely I feel sorry for. He's spent nearly three grand on hands-free kits, still got done for using a mobile while driving and now won't be able to use them at all.

Who am I kidding? I don't feel one bit sorry for him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

No Pants wrote: »
    It's Ivor Callely I feel sorry for. He's spent nearly three grand on hands-free kits, still got done for using a mobile while driving and now won't be able to use them at all.

Who am I kidding? I don't feel one bit sorry for him.

He's a lying, cheating, thieving ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

has anyone found the exact law /regulation ?

and is everyone who's still complaining about this read the heads of bill of the law http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=89912705&postcount=131

it says it banning use of keypad when in cradle

• Advertisement

ROAD TRAFFIC ACT 2006 http://www.acts.ie/en.act.2006.0023.1.html#sec3
    (4) The Minister may, to avoid the impairment or interference with the driving capacity or capabilities of the driver of a mechanically propelled vehicle, make regulations in relation to the restriction or prohibition in mechanically propelled vehicles in public places of the use of—
    [GA]

(a) a mobile phone (other than in the circumstances referred to in subsection (1)),
    [GA]

(b) an in-vehicle communication device,
    [GA]

(c) information equipment, or
    [GA]

(d) entertainment equipment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,305 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

While it was already illegal to text while driving, the changes will close off a loophole which could allow people to escape fines and penalties if they were operating a phone resting in a cradle or via a hands-free kit.
    Soooo.... hands-free will now be illegal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

the_syco wrote: »

That reads to me as the loophole can be exploited if your phone was in a cradle or was resting on something but connected to a hands free, so in both cases you're not actually holding the phone to operate it.

*bangs head off desk*
    A person shall not use or handle the keypad of a hands-free mobile phone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

*bangs head off desk*

[qoute]A person shall not use or handle the keypad of a hands-free mobile phone
    [/QUOTE]

My reading is that it would also ban touching a standalone GPS. Pretty much anything electronic thats not part of the car already.

Personally I hope this gets shot down in flames as its not very well thought out at all. If someone is texting in a cradle and its causing concern for a Garda, they can probably enact the 'driving without due care and attention' offence anyway. But for those of us that have to occasional tap a command, cancel a call or alarm etc then this is utter nonsense.

• Advertisement

My reading is that it would also ban touching a standalone GPS. Pretty much anything electronic thats not part of the car already.

Personally I hope this gets shot down in flames as its not very well thought out at all. If someone is texting in a cradle and its causing concern for a Garda, they can probably enact the 'driving without due care and attention' offence anyway. But for those of us that have to occasional tap a command, cancel a call or alarm etc then this is utter nonsense.

its not getting shot down in flames it already signed afaik, i just like to find the exact wording not breakingnews.ie interpretation of it

nope because there was loophole in the law they were trying to fix.

I wish people would stop using the word "loophole". Doing something legal is not a loophole.

I wish people would stop using the word "loophole". Doing something legal is not a loophole.

right using your phone in the cradle to text while driving is ok by you as long as its legal

right using your phone in the cradle to text while driving is ok by you as long as its legal
    When did I say that? The law was worded in a particular way to cover the handling of a mobile phone, not its use. People have figured out how to use their phone without handling it. I don't think people should be interacting with their phones at all while driving, but my opinion carries no legal weight.

When did I say that? The law was worded in a particular way to cover the handling of a mobile phone, not its use. People have figured out how to use their phone without handling it. I don't think people should be interacting with their phones at all while driving, but my opinion carries no legal weight.

it will by may 1st apparently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,305 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

*bangs head off desk*
    A person shall not use or handle the keypad of a hands-free mobile phone
    Is your hands free phone voice activated? How do you answer the call? From the wording of the article, it sounds as if hitting the "answer" button (ion the keypad) equals a fine. And thus my query.

Is your hands free phone voice activated? How do you answer the call? From the wording of the article, it sounds as if hitting the "answer" button (ion the keypad) equals a fine. And thus my query.

no, there a difference between using the keypad and tapping to answer, the people talking about the minister banning the use of gps's and hands free mobile's are just being alarmist

if you need to type an address into your gps/phone by hand do it before you go or stop the car somewhere safe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

actually with all this sh!tetalk going around, Id like to know the amount of accidents caused by the use of phones vs the state of some most of the roads, west of the shannon.
    Cos in my opinion its a lot easier and cheaper to just ban phones texting etc than to build new motorways

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

kupus wrote: »
    actually with all this sh!tetalk going around, Id like to know the amount of accidents caused by the use of phones vs the state of some most of the roads, west of the shannon.
    Cos in my opinion its a lot easier and cheaper to just ban phones texting etc than to build new motorways
    reduces it to a nonsense when that excuse is brought in to a road safety discussion.
    In fact, if road conditions are poor, all the more reason not to have any distraction from phones etc as you need all your concentration to navigate the potholes

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

What constantly boggles my mind is how much effort they put into certain things like drink driving, speeding and now this - but there are so many other areas of driving that need attention that they seem to ignore. Overtaking lane hoggers, slow drivers, driving in the hard shoulder, inability to use roundabouts, or indicators. Why can't they put some focus on those aspects too?? The standard of driving is terrible in this country compared to others - surely if we raised it overall and we were all better drivers, the roads would be a safer place?

Speech by Minister for Transport, Tourism & Sport Leo Varadkar at the Road Safety Authority International Conference on Driver Distraction in Dublin Castle on Thursday 20th March http://www.dttas.ie/speeches/2014/speech-minister-transport-tourism-sport-leo-varadkar-road-safety-authority

It is already an offence to hold a mobile phone while driving and I will shortly strengthen the law by prohibiting completely the practice of texting while driving. This will be done by regulation.

ok now where is the text of the regulation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

The C5 has a built in phone in my dash which I use with a Tesco SIM - I control this with the exact same buttons / steering wheel controls as my radio - is this now illegal?

It is already an offence to hold a mobile phone while driving and I will shortly strengthen the law by prohibiting completely the practice of texting while driving.

If its already illegal to hold a phone - So texting is already illegal.

What about in a few years when your car integrates perfectly into your phone and you can do everything by voice, will that be illegal too?

Perhaps this will all be a big pallava that will turn into nothing.

Zascar wrote: »
    If its already illegal to hold a phone - So texting is already illegal.

What about in a few years when your car integrates perfectly into your phone and you can do everything by voice, will that be illegal too?

Perhaps this will all be a big pallava that will turn into nothing.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=89912705&postcount=131
    http://www.transport.ie/upload/general/13690-GENERAL_SCHEME_OF_ROAD_TRAFFIC_BILL_2012-0.DOC
    The above offence does not apply to the use by a driver of a hands free mobile phone car kit while driving. Evidence suggests that a large percentage of drivers who use hands-free devices are accessing the keypad of the phones to text and access information while driving. This new head is to prohibit this practice particularly as the technology for voice controlled activation of the keypad or voice controlled commands is rapidly advancing.

no, there a difference between using the keypad and tapping to answer, the people talking about the minister banning the use of gps's and hands free mobile's are just being alarmist

if you need to type an address into your gps/phone by hand do it before you go or stop the car somewhere safe.

There is not if you run into a pigheaded enough Gard.
    So the usual "Ah shure the Gard will let you off on a good day, no need for clear legislation, sure the gards will know what we mean"
    One tap of a fingertip is using the keypad and if a Gard is in a bad mood, after a quota or just plain nasty, he'll do you for it.
    They won't care if you hit "next" on the mp3 player, tap to answer a call or get rid of a message that blocks your GPS screen or swipe to look at another parameter in torque, they'll do you and everything you say in court will sound like the lamest excuse ever to the judge.
    In legislation you cannot rely on goodwill, a sunny disposition of the authorities or magic pixie dust that will make everyone magically understand what the government meant when they implemented this.
    The Gards either don't enforce the law (what mostly happens) or they enforce it to the letter, with no regards as to it's intention or purpose, because they don't care.
    So it better be very well written.

Road Traffic Act 2006 Prohibition on holding mobile phone by driver of mechanically propelled vehicle, etc. http://www.acts.ie/en.act.2006.0023.1.html#sec3

This new head is to prohibit this practice particularly as the technology for voice controlled activation of the keypad or voice controlled commands is rapidly advancing.

Don't really agree with this. For the laugh, I decided to have a go with Siri on my way to the airport i.e. Send a text to say I was 5 mins away and tell the person where to wait. I actually found it more distracting, as I had to look at the screen once or twice to check the text was right and the person it was being sent to was correct. I also found that Siri wasn't accurate to my voice and headsets introduce a good deal of noise into the audio feed.

Does anyone hear use Siri or similar in a serious manner daily? Can't say I've been overly impressed with it, or any voice recognition systems, and I'd be a self confessed Apple fan boy.

Personally I think 'driving without due care and attention' should be strengthened up and the legislation as its stands should be left alone but actively enforced. Today when I was driving home a gent was on his phone on the wheel of a Transit van, a Garda car, in slow moving traffic going the other direction didn't even notice and it was as clear as day what he was doing. I know they arn't supermen with X-Ray vision but this was obvious and elevated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,298 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

When does this fund-raising eh law come into force?

• Advertisement

Road Traffic Act 2006 (Restriction on Use of Mobile Phones) Regulations 2014. https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6AEiinGYynONTBoRmR4RUNuSms/edit SI 178

ROAD TRAFFIC ACT 2006 (RESTRICTION ON USE OF MOBILE
    PHONES) REGULATIONS 2014
    I, LEO VARADKAR, Minister for Transport, Tourism and Sport, in exercise
    of the powers conferred on me by section 3(4)(a) of the Road Traffic Act 2006
    (No. 23 of 2006), hereby make the following regulations:
    1. (1) These Regulations may be cited as the Road Traffic Act 2006
    (Restriction on Use of Mobile Phones) Regulations 2014.
    (2) These Regulations come into operation on 1 May 2014.
    2. These Regulations do not apply to a person to whom section 3(1) of the
    Road Traffic Act 2006 (No. 23 of 2006) applies.
    3. In these Regulations—
    “read a text message” includes access or open a text message (other than by
    voice-activation) so that it can be read;
    “send a text message” includes compose and type a text message, but does not
    include anything done without touching the mobile phone;
    “SMS” and “MMS” have the meanings assigned to them by Regulation 2(1) of
    the European Communities (Electronic Communications Networks and
    Services) (Framework) Regulations 2011 (S.I. No. 333 of 2011);
    “text message” includes an SMS, an MMS message and an email.
    4. A person shall not while driving a mechanically propelled vehicle in a
    public place—
    (a) send a text message, or
    (b) read a text message,
    from a mobile phone.

Information Note: Road Traffic Act 2006 (Restriction on Use of Mobile Phones) Regulations 2014.
    http://www.dttas.ie/features/english/information-note-road-traffic-act-2006-restriction-use-mobile-phones-regulations

Road Traffic Act 2006 Prohibition on holding mobile phone by driver of mechanically propelled vehicle, etc.
    http://www.acts.ie/en.act.2006.0023.1.html#sec3 for context

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

Drivers should just be fined E2000 anyway for being in the car.

It's just such an unsafe practice, driving, and by choosing to do so they are deliberately putting themselves and others in continuous potential danger and therefore should be fined and punished.

Might as well set aside a few bob every year for the nanny state.

Leo has a driver doesn't he? These guys don't live in the real world at all.

heres varadkar talking about this a couple of months ago http://www.kildarestreet.com/sendebates/?id=2014-01-21a.126#g167
    Senator Reilly raised the issue of texting as opposed to talking on a mobile phone. The current law makes it an offence to hold a mobile phone and we believe that should be robust enough but other people do not. We are working on regulations to make it a specific offence to text while driving.

It is with the Office of the Parliamentary Counsel at the moment and I hope to sign it in the next few weeks, lest there be any confusion about the law. I do not see how anyone can text without holding a telephone, but apparently it is possible because it can be placed in a cradle and the driver can press away on it, and seemingly that does not constitute holding the telephone.

a few months before that http://www.kildarestreet.com/debates/?id=2013-11-22a.46&s=text+speaker%3A267#g60
    Deputy Stanley mentioned texting and driving, which is extremely dangerous. We will make that tighter in the Bill by making it an offence to even handle or operate a telephone in a car, but the difficulty in prosecuting that offence is that it will have to be witnessed. A garda will probably have to see the person doing it, and that is why enforcement is very difficult.

and http://www.kildarestreet.com/debates/?id=2013-10-01a.431&s=text+speaker%3A267#g432
    regulations to prohibit texting with hands-free devices while driving have also been prepared. These are currently being drafted by the Office of the Parliamentary Counsel and I intend to bring them into force as soon as possible.

Patrick O'Donovan (Limerick, Fine Gael)
    Link to this: Individually | In context

Question 704: To ask the Minister for Transport, Tourism and Sport if following his recent announcement in relation to the operation of the penalty points scheme as it relates to the use of mobile phones while driving, if he will consider introducing a minimum standard whereby new vehicles, after a date set by him, will have hands free technology included as a minimum safety standard by the vehicle manufacturer; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [29047/12]

Photo of Leo VaradkarLeo Varadkar (Minister, Department of Transport, Tourism and Sport; Dublin West, Fine Gael)
    Link to this: Individually | In context

Section 3 (1) of the Road Traffic Act 2006 and Statutory Instruments 443 and 444 of 2006 provide for the offence of driving a mechanically propelled vehicle in a public place while holding a mobile phone. Offences relating to using a mobile phone for texting or emailing while driving can also be dealt with under Section 52 of the Road Traffic Act 1961 (as substituted by Section 50 of the Road Traffic Act 1968). My Department is currently reviewing this legislation with a view to determining its appropriateness in the light of developments, in recent years, in relation to mobile phone technology. Furthermore, my Department will discuss with the Road Safety Authority the possibility, merits and practicalities for applying such standards as suggested by the Deputy.
    http://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2011-05-10.1642.0&s=text+speaker%3A267#g1644.0.r

52. (1) A person shall not drive a vehicle in a public place without due care and attention.
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1968/en/act/pub/0025/sec0050.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

Can't see it being enforced.
    The gardai will just issue a ticket for holding a phone.

It's the easier option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

Meh. Will just have to use the phone down low rather than in the cradle so I don't get caught.

Anybody that gets sufficiently distracted when hitting next track, reroute, seeing who called etc is a driver that shouldn't be on the road.

• Advertisement

That legislation is too broad. It wouldn't cover, by my reading anyway, FB messages, WhatsApp messages or pretty much anything that doesn't use the SMS/MMS/Email standard. Even Apple iMessage is not an SMS. It should either blanket ban mobile phones entirely or just leave things as they stand.

And once again, best of luck convincing a Garda on a power trip that the GPS screen he saw wasn't a text message...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

They should include a huge fine for employers who encourage (force) employees to take calls while driving.

I had a boss who would phone incessantly when he knew I was driving. He wouldn't leave a voicemail just call over and over and over. He'd get annoyed then that I couldn't answer!

SpaceTime wrote: »
    They should include a huge fine for employers who encourage (force) employees to take calls while driving.

I had a boss who would phone incessantly when he knew I was driving. He wouldn't leave a voicemail just call over and over and over. He'd get annoyed then that I couldn't answer!

If the employee has a handsfree kit then there is no reason not to take the call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

SpaceTime wrote: »

Had you a handsfree kit? If you did and it was still a problem for you then you are obviously a very nervous driver.

I'm with Ironclaw on this. Looks like there's very little change to the law, at least not on the burden of proof. It's still very much what a guard thinks he saw you doing.

• Advertisement

Had you a handsfree kit? If you did and it was still a problem for you then you are obviously a very nervous driver.

I would consider myself a decent driver (Doesn't everyone :rolleyes:), but I'd refuse a call if I was travelling at speed on a busy motorway or in town. I feel if you are driving there is far too much going on to be considering whats going on in a phone call. Your situational awareness will drop. I'd even go as far as if I was going by GPS, I'd quickly scan the route visually so I wouldn't have to spend time checking the display. I'd almost know a turn before I met it, kinda like learning off pace notes. Few if any people have a job where by a 5 to 10 minute delay in calling someone back would make a difference.

I'd never mind someone not taking a call and I refuse to talk to someone that isn't at least handsfree. I think it would be wrong to tar someone who refuses to multi-task while driving as 'nervous' or a bad driver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Nope no hands free and also no reason for the 10 calls an hour!

The guy would ring me to ask me how to send an email or how to spell something!

I eventually quit before I snapped lol

And no, I'm not a very nervous driver.... Are you?

I would go as far as saying, if you think handsfree implies completely safe, then you are not paying attention.
    It is safer than the phone stuck to your ear or in your hand, which also restricts your view and mobility but it is still demanding your attention.
    Where it differs from the radio, the radio isn't expecting a response, your brain knows that, it is passive, busy dealing solely with what the road expects of it.
    Throw in a heated conversation with an agitated passenger, some compromise,
    Same agitated person on end of a phone without visual clues and no pregnant silence (sic), or asking difficult questions, being irate or delivering bad news - better pull in, because in all honesty, you are now taking in a fraction of what is going on around you.

I've seen people driving, on phone waving hands around agitatedly, looking direction of phone, they wouldn't notice you if you had flashing blue lights and a badge.
    But they were NOT nervous.

No, they where just sh*te drivers.

ironclaw wrote: »
    That legislation is too broad. It wouldn't cover, by my reading anyway, FB messages, WhatsApp messages or pretty much anything that doesn't use the SMS/MMS/Email standard. Even Apple iMessage is not an SMS. It should either blanket ban mobile phones entirely or just leave things as they stand.

And once again, best of luck convincing a Garda on a power trip that the GPS screen he saw wasn't a text message...

don't you mean its too narrow

ironclaw wrote: »
    I would consider myself a decent driver (Doesn't everyone :rolleyes:), but I'd refuse a call if I was travelling at speed on a busy motorway or in town. I feel if you are driving there is far too much going on to be considering whats going on in a phone call. Your situational awareness will drop. I'd even go as far as if I was going by GPS, I'd quickly scan the route visually so I wouldn't have to spend time checking the display. I'd almost know a turn before I met it, kinda like learning off pace notes. Few if any people have a job where by a 5 to 10 minute delay in calling someone back would make a difference.

I'd never mind someone not taking a call and I refuse to talk to someone that isn't at least handsfree. I think it would be wrong to tar someone who refuses to multi-task while driving as 'nervous' or a bad driver.

Talking on a handsfree while driving is very easy, how you would struggle with it is beyond me. As I said earlier in the thread, driving is my preferred time for making and taking calls. It passes the trip quicker and is an efficient use of your time.

No, they where just sh*te drivers.
    They might have been good drivers but they were shyte talkers:eek::D

Talking on a handsfree while driving is very easy, how you would struggle with it is beyond me. As I said earlier in the thread, driving is my preferred time for making and taking calls. It passes the trip quicker and is an efficient use of your time.
    Nobody mentioned struggling, point completely missed, pull over.
    When concentrating on a call, many people don't notice anything wrong, but invariably when I pass a car that is driving erratically, poorly, oddly, there is a guy/gal on the phone oblivious to all around them. I'll wave next time, when you eventually notice, know it's me.:D

Any calls I ever take, or rarely make, hands free, are short, to the point, caller made driving aware, and difficult decisions left till when I can afford to be safely distracted.
    The last thing a caller needs to hear is the sound of crashing.
    A moving car is not another office, and employers shouldn't assume it and should actively take responsibility for it.

I am not against having handsfree calling, quite the opposite, all cars should be permafitted so no driver should ever be excused not using handsfree.
    However, just like every other thing in the car - radio, cd player, glove box, you don't assume 10 minutes spent rooting in the glove box, or fiddling with your play list etc is condusive to safe driving. If it takes more than a few seconds of your visual attention or your undivided attention, do it when you are stopped.

the last word covered it today with anton savage http://bit.ly/1l8niws at 47 mins

i emailed the last word and asked them to give me a link to the law they were discussing

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

Hadn't someone already posted it in the thread?

• Advertisement
Advertisement