Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Video - Israeli soldiers appear to mock call to prayer

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

DACSTER wrote: »
    It may come as a bit of a shock but there are 10's of thousands of Catholics in the British army.

All the IDF lads did was to do a dance in a random street with an OP doing the filming.

So what?

The brits dancing outside a catholic church in a nationalist area just before mass would have caused a massive riot.

In itself its no big deal, but it clearly shows a significiant amateurism to behave like this while out and about as well as a lack of respect for the customs of those who they are trampling underfoot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Einhard wrote: »
    Are you for real? You're really trying to make a moral equivalency between a few soldiers dancing in the street and a few suicide bombers going out to massacre civilians? Now I've heard it all.

Wow, first you accuse me of calling people inhuman and monsters, which is something I never said, and now you accuse me of this. Simply astonishing, that you seem unable to understand the very simple things I am saying. You see, as a I said earlier in reply to your suicide bombing post:
    wes wrote: »
    Well, you see before any suicide bombings, there was the occupation and constant land theft by Religous fundamentalist colonists. In fact that all happened even before Hamas existed.

You see I am clearly talking about all the crap Israel did before the suicide bombings. You see Israel seem to have hated the Palestinians long before any suicide bombings.

We expect soldiers to be sensitive now?

Sensitive might be a bit peace and love. Having cop on and not stirring it up for the sake of it, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 DACSTER

So what?

The brits dancing outside a catholic church in a nationalist area just before mass would have caused a massive riot.

In itself its no big deal, but it clearly shows a significiant amateurism to behave like this while out and about as well as a lack of respect for the customs of those who they are trampling underfoot.

You are aware this is purely hypothetical and didn't actually happen.

Are you trying to compare a hypothetical and imagined story with the OP?

If you are, you're a bit desperate to be honest.

Sensitive might be a bit peace and love. Having cop on and not stirring it up for the sake of it, yes.

Can you explain why it is stirring anything???????

If I was a local I'd prefer to see the IDF dancing about and being relaxed rather than tense and nervous with itchy trigger fingers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭t4k30

Jesus, that's pretty funny. Who cares whether or not they are mocking the call to prayer. This is only one example of religious intolerance, this happens all the time on both sides of the fence. They may be dancing and what not but I'd much see a non violent form of religious intolerance rather than those soilders burning flags and what not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭mrboswell

Can you explain why it is stirring anything???????

If I was a local I'd prefer to see the IDF dancing about and being relaxed rather than tense and nervous with itchy trigger fingers.

Well you are not a local so you couldn't pretend to know that its like there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

People like the OP are the reason people dont take the anto-israel movement seriously

I found the video very amusing :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Wow, first you accuse me of calling people inhuman and monsters, which is something I never said, and now you accuse me of this. Simply astonishing, that you seem unable to understand the very simple things I am saying. You see, as a I said earlier in reply to your suicide bombing post:

You see I am clearly talking about all the crap Israel did before the suicide bombings. You see Israel seem to have hated the Palestinians long before any suicide bombings.

Ok wes, I'll type slowly and try not to use big words, and hopefully you might be able to understand me.

i. I didn't accuse you of labelling them anything. I was using generalities. The world doesn't revolve around you wes, and neither do my posts.

ii. In relation to your second point. The OP posted a video showing some soldiers dancing in the street with the tag that it's little wonder that the Palestinians hate them. I responded with a video of Hamas militants preparing to go out and murder civilians. Your reaction to the first was immediately to condemn; your answer to the second was to equivocate and contextualise. In other words, you immediately condemned the one, and sought to explain the other. Then, when I mentioned this, you accused me of doing the same for the original video of the dancing soliders. Hence, you establish in your post a moral equivalency between the two. Now, you may not have meant to, but you did, and it's not my responsibility to parse your posts, and read between the lines, to establish what you meant to write as opposed to what you did write.

I hope that resolves the matter for you.

Is beginning to think he would have been better off painting the bathroom..

mrboswell wrote: »
    Well you are not a local so you couldn't pretend to know that its like there.

Of course I can. How can you pretend to know they were offended?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

I think that clip of soldiers dancing has recently been on youtube, where IDF senior officers complaned about the behaviour of thier own soldiers and I seem to remember them dancing to dance music ...possibly.Also there are other clips of soldiers dancing and playing with local kids in the area.

True. I have no problem with that. But to seek to portray the soldiers as anything other than bored and lacking in discipline is unwarranted. That's the point I'm making.

True. I have no problem with that. But to seek to portray the soldiers as anything other than bored and lacking in discipline is unwarranted. That's the point I'm making.

Just like I made the point that they were highly insensitive and shouldn't be surprised by the fact that they are not wanted nor should be there.

Of course I can. How can you pretend to know they were offended?

I can't pretend to know they were offended - I said I could easily understand if muslims were offended by it.

I suspect if you lived in such a place you wouldn't like to see the IDF at all.

I can't pretend to know they were offended - I said I could easily understand if muslims were offended by it.

I suspect if you lived in such a place you wouldn't like to see the IDF at all.

But I'd rather see them dancing if they were going to be there at all.....

Ok wes, I'll type slowly and try not to use big words, and hopefully you might be able to understand me.

Yes, being condescending will totally help things.
    i. I didn't accuse you of labelling them anything. I was using generalities. The world doesn't revolve around you wes, and neither do my posts.

Um, You directly quoted me :D.
    ii. In relation to your second point. The OP posted a video showing some soldiers dancing in the street with the tag that it's little wonder that the Palestinians hate them. I responded with a video of Hamas militants preparing to go out and murder civilians. Your reaction to the first was immediately to condemn; your answer to the second was to equivocate and contextualise.
    In other words, you immediately condemned the one, and sought to explain the other. Then, when I mentioned this, you accused me of doing the same for the original video of the dancing soliders. Hence, you establish in your post a moral equivalency between the two. Now, you may not have meant to, but you did, and it's not my responsibility to parse your posts, and read between the lines, to establish what you meant to write as opposed to what you did write.

I hope that resolves the matter for you.

Sorry, but you clearly reading into things that aren't there. If you are unable to follow what I am saying I could care less. You tried to excuse Israeli hatred of Palestinians, by bringing up suicide bombings, and I pointed out that Israel was doing all kinds of crap against the Palestinians long before that. Now, perhaps I should have spelt it out, but I was refuting the point you were trying to make i.e. that Israeli's hated the Palestinians long before a single suicide bombing, as opposed to you saying the hatred is due to them. I don't see what so hard to understand about that, and I find it very odd the conclusion that you came too.

I was not trying to draw anykind of equivalence between people dancing in the street, but I was trying to draw equivalence betweem you bringing up suicide bombing, and when I brought up the colonialism by Israel. I said this very clearly, but you decided to jump to a ridiculous conclusion instead.

You are aware this is purely hypothetical and didn't actually happen.

Are you trying to compare a hypothetical and imagined story with the OP?

If you are, you're a bit desperate to be honest.

No, I'm saying occupying soldiers should have more sense than annoy the locals by mocking them, regardless of the intent.

The IDF is one of the best fighting forces in the world, illdiscipline - certainly not.

In 1967 maybe - times have changed. They have become a rabble.

In 1967 maybe - times have changed. They have become a rabble.

I'm ex-Forces and would respectfully tell you that I think I know what I am talking about in respect to the professionalism of the IDF, more than you do anyway.

• Advertisement

No, I'm saying occupying soldiers should have more sense than annoy the locals by mocking them, regardless of the intent.

Simple qestion - how is that mocking them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

i think it was just some young soldiers having a good time i thought it was good

But I'd rather see them dancing if they were going to be there at all.....

Maybe there should be a ME dance off to bring things to an end - that actually would be interesting and possibly even.....funny ;)

Obviously there is a lot of opinion and guessing within these threads.

I just think a silly moment can result in way more than it was meant to be. Like many posts here on boards - things can be taken out of context whether or not they were supposed to be. I thought it was insensitive and not helpful at all, although it didn't directly effect me.

@ tfitzgerald - It may well be totally coincidental but we'll probably never know.

i think it was just some young soldiers having a good time i thought it was good

Don't be bringing any of your common sense round here laddie.

You tried to excuse Israeli hatred of Palestinians, by bringing up suicide bombings
    QUOTE]

No wes, this is the source of your current misconceptions. I don't seek to excuse the actions of either side. Indeed, I don't even seek to excuse the actions of the soldiers dancing in the street. What I do seek to point out, is how relatively minor indicents like that in the first video are hysterically blown out of all proportion by those who seek to demonise Israel, while vastly more henious acts perpetrated by Hamas and others raise barely an eyebrow. You actually helped me prove my point, by reacting as you did to the OP's video, yet offering no such condemnation to the video of the suicide bombers.

I'm not going to respond to you anymore. I generally enjoy a good debate on this issue, but not if I have to parse and explain the entire conversation for the benefit of others.

I'm ex-Forces and would respectfully tell you that I think I know what I am talking about in respect to the professionalism of the IDF, more than you do anyway.

Forces?

Look at the IDF recent performances. Battered (twice) by Hezbollah, killed thousands of civilians in Gaza with allegations of all sorts of nastiness and their so called special forces got a hiding off a load of unarmed hippies.

As I say, a different beast to 1967

• Advertisement

What I do seek to point out, is how relatively minor indicents like that in the first video are hysterically blown out of all proportion by those who seek to demonise Israel, while vastly more henious acts perpetrated by Hamas and others raise barely an eyebrow

+1

Forces?

Look at the IDF recent performances. Battered (twice) by Hezbollah, killed thousands of civilians in Gaza with allegations of all sorts of nastiness and their so called special forces got a hiding off a load of unarmed hippies.

As I say, a different beast to 1967

If you say so. Go'an and give yourself a pat on the back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭The Highwayman

And yet another (poor) attempt to promote anti Israeli feeling surfaces.

While Ireland sinks deeper into the morass of economic difficulties and while thousands of our work force are without work,a coterie of people here continue to use the forum as a vehicle to broadcast their bile and viturpitude against Israel, as if that state was central to all that happens in this country and our people, and it's behaviour politically, is of vital importance to our day to day interests.

I'm downright baffled, so I am.

What does the economic state of Ireland have to do with this?
    If you are working or unemployed I feel you can have an opinion on Israel. Is it not better to engage in debate than to simply ignore the issue?
    I dont feel that posting the video will do much to change peoples impression of the Israeli state. They can do that themselves without any help.
    I personally feel it is of vital importance that we as a people and members of the international community examine its actions of all fundamentalist states.
    I would be baffled myself if you felt differently.

No wes, this is the source of your current misconceptions. I don't seek to excuse the actions of either side. Indeed, I don't even seek to excuse the actions of the soldiers dancing in the street. What I do seek to point out, is how relatively minor indicents like that in the first video are hysterically blown out of all proportion by those who seek to demonise Israel, while vastly more henious acts perpetrated by Hamas and others raise barely an eyebrow. You actually helped me prove my point, by reacting as you did to the OP's video, yet offering no such condemnation to the video of the suicide bombers.

Oh please, no one has demonised Israel here. People are just saying what they (the IDF) were doing was a stupid thing to do in a bad situation. How exactly is that demonization? Oh, wait no it isn't. You are seeing things you want to see, to justify the stuff you are saying.

Secondly, I was refuting a point you made (as well as doing the same thing you were doing, by saying look so and so did this), regarding the suicide bombing video you posted, you were suggesting Israel hatred of Palestinians was due to suicide bombings, but as I pointed out Israel was stealing Palestinian land long before the first suicide bombing. Now, even after I explained this twice, you still insist that I was saying something else, which is laughable.

Sorry, but no one has demonized Israel here, and I have in the past condemned Hamas's rockets attacks etc, as they are of course wrong, and I even said earlier that both sides violence is wrong:
    Why should the Palestinians be singled out, when the wish to do the same to Israel then? Its pretty funny that you have issues with Palestinian suicide bombers, but excuse for Israel attacks on Palestinians. Bit of a double standard there. If its ok for Israel to kick people out of there homes and murder them, well then you should have no issues with Hamas then.

Now personally, I am of the opinion that when anyone kills innocent civilians its wrong.

Now, I don't see why I need to constantly condemn both sides violence. I did it once already in this thread, and see no reason to do it again, and again, everytime some tries a little bit of whataboutery.
    I'm not going to respond to you anymore. I generally enjoy a good debate on this issue, but not if I have to parse and explain the entire conversation for the benefit of others.

Well, I have had to explain myself numerous times as it is, and you still mis-represent what I said, even after I explained it numerous times.

**EDIT**
    Just noticed you thanked this post:
    Thats how the world was built though....USA and the indians.....Spain and Portugal and South America....etc, etc

Why should Israel be singled out differently.

Turkey is currently using it's Air Force to bomb the Kurds?

Why not public outrage at that?

Hilarious, that you make accusations against me, and others, and seem to have no issues with the above making excuses for Israel, due to other people having done the same thing in the past. Honestly, you have given me a wonderful laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

What does the economic state of Ireland have to do with this?
    If you are working or unemployed I feel you can have an opinion on Israel. Is it not better to engage in debate than to simply ignore the issue?
    I dont feel that posting the video will do much to change peoples impression of the Israeli state. They can do that themselves without any help.
    I personally feel it is of vital importance that we as a people and members of the international community examine its actions of all fundamentalist states.
    I would be baffled myself if you felt differently.

I can't quite get to the nub of your argument there.

My point is that The Irish people have a lot more on their plates than the extrapolation of anti-Israeli threads on this forum would reflect.

I'll spell it out for you, a coterie of people whose vested interest is the promulgation of anti Israeli propaganda and general left wing views and rhetoric have far more content in this forum than the general population would reflect.

That's all I'm saying.

Cogitate on that, my friend.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Well, you see before any suicide bombings, there was the occupation and constant land theft by Religous fundamentalist colonists. In fact that all happened even before Hamas existed.

Go back to day 1 Israel was set up and instantly had war declared on them by its neighbours. So if you are going to start going back in time saying one side is right or wrong start at the very start.

But i dont really care about all that this thread is about the video not another thread to descend into a stupid us V them, they took land, they blow up kids thread we have plenty of them they go nowhere and solve nothing.

If this was Gerry Adams doing a funny dance i would laugh doesn't mean i agree or support anything he says or does. **** it if you can find a vid of Hitler doing a funny dance ill laugh at it.

Me too it was pretty funny :D

Didn't exactly sound like it was during a call to prayer, sounded like yer man editing the video with the music put it in at the start for the slow walk ??

**EDIT**
    Just noticed you thanked this post:

Hilarious, that you make accusations against me, and others, and seem to have no issues with the above making excuses for Israel, due to other people having done the same thing in the past. Honestly, you have given me a wonderful laugh.

I HAVE NOT MADE ANY EXCUSES FOR ISRAEL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭hallelujajordan

Not all Palestinians are Muslim, and secondly, these nutjobs are stealing there land:

Never suggested that all palestinians were muslims ?? but this thread is about insulting muslims by dancing through the muslim call to prayer:rolleyes:
    Well for starters we have the luxury of being able to discuss it, others are not so fortunate.

As I pointed out and if you care to read my previous post properly you will see that am an atheist but I can see how others will be highly offended.

I didn't look to provoke a reaction, but a discussion - you know....a chat board...

I am happy for you to feel free to ignore from now on so

I read your post properly . . . not sure how relevant it is that you're an atheist ? and I can see that you can see how others will be offended. My point is that you care little about the offence caused, evidenced by your willingness to propagate such material across the web.

Never suggested that all palestinians were muslims ?? but this thread is about insulting muslims by dancing through the muslim call to prayer:rolleyes:

I read your post properly . . . not sure how relevant it is that you're an atheist ? and I can see that you can see how others will be offended. My point is that you care little about the offence caused, evidenced by your willingness to propagate such material across the web.

I'm not in any way religious....happy?

Its already on the net. I made a comment on it - I wanted to see what other peoples opinions are on it.

I've got yours - thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭The Highwayman

I can't quite get to the nub of your argument there.

My point is that The Irish people have a lot more on their plates than the extrapolation of anti-Israeli threads on this forum would reflect.

I'll spell it out for you, a coterie of people whose vested interest is the promulgation of anti Israeli propaganda and general left wing views and rhetoric have far more content in this forum than the general population would reflect.

That's all I'm saying.

Cogitate on that, my friend.;)

I'm sorry I can deal with the world wide economic down turn (and am waiting for the dreaded double dip with a sick anticipation). While still keeping myself informed and engaged.
    You may wish to wallow in your misfortune and blissfully ignore the greater world and feel we all should do the same.

I'm glad to say your opinion is in the minority.

One could extrapolate that your an ostrich or worse just promulgation of zionist vested interests.

So let me spell this out for you, you dont get to tell people they can or cant post about something you dont agree with. If you take issue with something then post away but if you feel that a thread has no merit, then, just because you feel that way does not make it so!

Personally, I know how board troops get, and dont care that they did this, or any dance to any religious song or prayer of any faith and as someone who has lived in an islamic country I have no real love of either.

My own politics are far from left wing and getting more right wing by the day(you dont want to know what will happen when I'm in charge :) )

And seeing as we return a center left government over and over again one could surmise that yes that is the view and rhetoric of this country.

You may feel that you are in some way more cerebral by using big words but rather you might use this to look at the geopolitical situation we find the world in and the agenda you seem to push in far greater depth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

NO IT IS NOT.

Such is your eagerness to slate the IDF you don't realise that almost every similar regiment in the world has done something similar - mostly to alleviate boredem and to have a bit of a giggle.

I know I did.

Is that every similar regiment meaning those illegally occupying an area or.....?
    Thats how the world was built though....USA and the indians.....Spain and Portugal and South America....etc, etc

Why should Israel be singled out differently.

I was unaware there was a UN and a Geneva convention from 1400-1900 or so. Generally its taken that since the end of the second world war, aqquistion of territory by force is no longer acceptable.
    My point is that The Irish people have a lot more on their plates than the extrapolation of anti-Israeli threads on this forum would reflect..

Like the doings of RTE presenters, for instance.....

Go back to day 1 Israel was set up and instantly had war declared on them by its neighbours. So if you are going to start going back in time saying one side is right or wrong start at the very start.

Well, the conflict started long before the state of Israel was created, when Zionist colonists arrived in Palestine in the late 1800's to create there own state against the wishes of the pre-existing indigenous populace, and to drive them out. You see my point was that Israeli's don't hate the Palestinians due to violence against Israel's by Palestinians, but because Israel wants there land, and all colonists come up with excuses to take others land. You see my point wasn't about who is and isn't right, but rather to refute a point being made, which I explained a couple of times already, but I guess the 3rd or 4th times the charm.
    But i dont really care about all that this thread is about the video not another thread to descend into a stupid us V them, they took land, they blow up kids thread we have plenty of them they go nowhere and solve nothing.

Oh, in full agreement there.
    If this was Gerry Adams doing a funny dance i would laugh doesn't mean i agree or support anything he says or does. **** it if you can find a vid of Hitler doing a funny dance ill laugh at it.

Yeah, now if he did that dance in front of a Orange men parade, would that not be kind of a stupid thing to do? The point being made, is that what there doing is a stupid thing to do, considering that it could kick something off in a very tense situation like Hebron.

I HAVE NOT MADE ANY EXCUSES FOR ISRAEL.

No, you didn't and never said you did (i am starting to see a pattern here) but as I pointed out you thanked a post that did exactly that, and then complained about me coming up with excuses for Palestinians. I just found that funny, that you seem to have no issues with other people doing exactly that.

Yeah, sorry that was my bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭hallelujajordan

I'm not in any way religious....happy?

Its already on the net. I made a comment on it - I wanted to see what other peoples opinions are on it.

I've got yours - thanks.

I'm not sure you have to be frank . . As mentioned, I don't care about your religion or lack of . . not sure why you think I do* . . .

My point (that you seem to miss) is that you criticise a) the making of the video and b) posting the video on the internet. . . you are concerned (apparently) about the sensitivities of muslims who may see this and be offended . . yet you repost the video, increasing the opportunity for muslims (whose sensitivities you want to protect) to see it and be offended. .

A tad hypocritical ?

I'm not sure you have to be frank . . As mentioned, I don't care about your religion or lack of . . not sure why you think I do* . . .

My point (that you seem to miss) is that you criticise a) the making of the video and b) posting the video on the internet. . . you are concerned (apparently) about the sensitivities of muslims who may see this and be offended . . yet you repost the video, increasing the opportunity for muslims (whose sensitivities you want to protect) to see it and be offended. .

A tad hypocritical ?

Oh I think I got where you stand alright.

If I came across a tad hypocritical it is incidental. The fact it that the video is live already. As I've mentioned numerous times I think it was stupid and insensitive. Whatever the actual reason behind the dance, and note in the thread title I use the word appear because I will never know, I wanted to see what other people thought about it, muslims included. Was I alone in thinking that? No. Do others have opinions on it? Yes.

You seem to think that I am adding to the insensitivity but if set up a projector and screen in the same neighborhood in Hebron and did a little dance myself before playing the clip I'd say fair enough.

Someone posted a clip of a Hamas suicide bomber and I certainly think that stuff is VERY wrong - more wrong than this clip. But whether they are right or wrong if we can't discuss them for fear of being accused of having an ulterior motive then there is little point of a place like boards.

We are all entitled to our opinions and I welcome yours. In a medium where there is often hours and even days between posts it can be very difficult to state what you mean and be understood for what you mean at the same time. this is something that I try to do but at times it may not always be the case.

Despite what you think, I'm happy that it stimulated a discussion, even if it was heated at times. Although as I did predict it will probably go around in circles as is the nature of these topics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭MrMatisse

Those guys are probably between 17 and 21. Is it surprising that young lads would do something like that for a bit of a laugh? No.

I dont think you can blame the state of Israel for a couple of kids doing something like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭paulaa

Those guys are probably between 17 and 21. Is it surprising that young lads would do something like that for a bit of a laugh? No.

I dont think you can blame the state of Israel for a couple of kids doing something like that.

Sorry but it doesn't matter how old these people are, they are representatives of "the most moral army in the world" . They are old enough to carry guns and make decisions that decide whether someone lives or dies . Surely the Israeli military don't send people out into "hostile" areas without giving them some training and discipline.

Now, I know young lads get up to all sorts. Sure when I was that age, I did a lot of stupid ****, but I didn't do it in a war zone, where the smallest thing could kick things off.

Also, there is a history to this sort of idiocy from the IDF:

IDF T-Shirts Boast of Killing Babies, Pregnant Women, Sodomizing Hamas Leaders

I remember certain quarters defending the above, as just being a bunch of young lads, having a bit of a laugh as well.

Look, in a place like Hebron, where there are a lot of problems, due to the presence of violent Jewish colonists (who are protected by the IDF), who have closed off a huge chunks of the city to Palestinians, doing something that pisses off people even more is a bad idea. A bit of cop on is in order, and that's it. Now, I don't the soldiers are evil, and they probably didn't mean any harm, but it doesn't make there carry on any less stupid.

In general the smallest thing can piss people off when it comes to the Middle East, some people who praised a Shia cleric, who died recently have gotten into trouble, and one person even lost there job, as they offended some of the AIPAC crowd:

Ayatollah Fadlallah tributes divide opinion

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

No, I am saying it is stupid, and doubly so to put it up on the Internet. It shows a stupid disregard of the tinderbox situation, especially in a place like Hebron.

In my experience, and I'll wager mine is not unique, displaying humour and humanity tends to do a lot more for soldier-civilian relationships than playing 'mindless robot with a gun behind shades'

That said, I doubt there was anyone in the vicinity to be offended or ice-broken anyway. Seems to me they were in a secure location.

NTM

In my experience, and I'll wager mine is not unique, displaying humour and humanity tends to do a lot more for soldier-civilian relationships than playing 'mindless robot with a gun behind shades'

That said, I doubt there was anyone in the vicinity to be offended or ice-broken anyway. Seems to me they were in a secure location.

NTM

Yeah, I am sure your right, but when what your doing appears to insult the beliefs of the people your occupying, and who the soldiers in question generally make there lives a living hell for the sake of a few nutters, it doesn't strike me as the cleverest thing to do.

Your right it does seem they were in a secure location, but the video was posted online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭paulaa

NTM

What exactly is a "secure location" ?

Latest two fingers to Palestine by the IDF....

IDF patrol set up a dance routine during a muslim call to prayer in Hebron and record it.

And they wonder why Palestinians don't like them.

I wouldn't be the biggest fans of the Israeli's. It's only a bit of messing round.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

paulaa wrote: »
    What exactly is a "secure location" ?

One where you can mess around like that without great fear of getting shot. You will note the T-walls in the background blocking off the street, and that all the windows in the building in the background are boarded off. I'll wager they're coming back in off a patrol.

NTM

Advertisement