Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Make a Distro?

• 29-03-2015 12:10am
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anyone want to get together as an online Community and build a lightweight distro based on, let's say, Arch?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭djmarkus

Arch is a lightweight distro.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

djmarkus wrote: »
    Arch is a lightweight distro.

I understand that as I use it regularly. What I am saying is, why not create a spinoff distro based on Arch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Itzy wrote: »
    I understand that as I use it regularly. What I am saying is, why not create a spinoff distro based on Arch.
    "Why not?" isn't a reason. I'm not saying it's automatically a bad idea, but what exactly are you hoping to achieve? What would be the point?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,031 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

@Itzy

Is this just an idea for fun or is there some serious long term intent?

When you say 'distro' do you mean a stand-alone distro with its own repository and support mechanism, or something else?

Besides 'cause we can' ..... what would this 'distro' be expected to provide that is not available from other re-spins/dressed-up derivatives of other distros?

There used to be a Slax (?) based Irish re-spin available, but I have heard little about it recently.

I'm only a relatively recent (~2 years) GNU/linux user but I'd really like to take on the Linux from scratch project to really understand the underpinnings of it.

It seems to have great documentation and follow on parts to keep you going. It may be of interest.

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

I don't see a commercial market and a light distro would just be an exercise in developing a distro and kernel development. It be an interesting project to work on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33 Captain Peanuts McDrummie

cisk wrote: »
    I'm only a relatively recent (~2 years) GNU/linux user but I'd really like to take on the Linux from scratch project to really understand the underpinnings of it.

It seems to have great documentation and follow on parts to keep you going. It may be of interest.

I'd love to be able to do this as well, but my skills wouldn't be great. I doubt I'd get far with it :p I guess I could do beta testing if something came together here as I have spare hardware.

I know that RHEL and CentOS are used as Server Operating Systems, but is there an Commercial/Enterprise level Desktops on the market.

Captain, you could use https://susestudio.com/ if you want to build your own distro on OpenSuse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 854 ✭✭✭human 19

I dont understand. If you are basing it on Arch, then surely you are just customising your own distro already, like everyone who already uses Arch as a base (like me).

I could always develop from scratch. Start with something along the lines of an embedded OS and run it on a Pi.

• Advertisement
Advertisement