Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dr O Shea's Weight Management Clinic, Loughlinstown

• 07-10-2012 5:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭

Hi all,

I was hoping some one would be able to share there experience with me from the above clinic

I finally got an appointment to Dr O Shea's clinic after waiting almost three years. I weigh almost 23st and I'm a 23 year old female, I have tried to lose weight on numerous occasions, but I have got no where.

I put this down to a visous circle of comfort eating and depression....I know in some respects that this is just another excuse, but I feel that I have seriously struggled over the past year. Basically in foul humour because I'm overweight & eating because I'm in bad humour/stressed!

I know I have a long road to go....

I was just wondering what happens on day one, and do you go monthly thereafter or who do you see etc?

I'm sorry for all the questions, I'm just feeling anxious about the whole thing.

Thanks in advance

Candy19

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭calfmuscle

Hey Candy,

I was a student at the clinic 2 years ago. Its a great place, all the staff are really nice and helpful. There is also an exercise class every friday that you can attend. Its a great way to stay motivated and get to know other people in your position.

Basically on day one you meet the medical team, the physio, the dietician and the psychiatrist. They each speak to you about your current habits and lifestyle and try to find ways to help you out. They will help you to set goals for yourself. The physio's will do some exercise testing with you, its very basic and you just do as much as you can. There is no need to worry about these tests and they are NOTHING like those American weight loss shows you see on tv.

Good luck with your weight loss and please let us know how you get on!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭candy19

Thank you so much for your reply....

Do you mind if I ask, do you know what type of tests they do & do you generally attend them monthly or fortnightly or what way does it work??

I have been given very little info & I suppose I feel I need to be prepared for what's ahead

Thanks

Candy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭boxercreations

candy19 wrote: »

Do you mind if I ask, do you know what type of tests they do & do you generally attend them monthly or fortnightly or what way does it work??

I have been given very little info & I suppose I feel I need to be prepared for what's ahead

Thanks

Candy
    Hi - I have no experience with the clinic but wanted to wish you luck on your journey. I've lost nearly 4 stone since June and getting closer to target. I have to say that perhaps most important for me was sorting out my issues with food - not just identifying that I'm an emotional over eater but really picking through some fairly uncomfortable stuff & seeing it not as the story I had written for myself and compounded over the years but as it stands today when viewed from a 2012 perspective.
    I've totally changed my focus, even my basic blueprint & doing all of this has made the food part of it really easy. Even my aspirations have changed & I'm working towards a totally new future.
    So I'd definitely recommend a life coach or you can watch on you tube/read books if you like to figure stuff out for yourself, to help you make positive strategies - I really believe that if I can do it, anyone can.
    Good Luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭calfmuscle

I can only speak from a physio perspective but they will probably do a step test and then a timed walk. You are in control at all times and your heart rate and how hard you think the tests are will be monitored at set stages through out the session.

After your intro day you will attend once a month for one year.
    On your clinic days you will see the physio, dietician and psychiatrists. You will also have a weigh in to see how things are progressing.

Most people really enjoy their time at the clinic, Id be excited rather than nervous if I was you! :)

Thanks for both of your replies....

The whole concept is a bit foreign to me....I guess that's when the anxiety comes from....time to open a new chapter..

I think waiting for something for so long, I thought in one sence it was all going to go away, if only!

Onwards and upwards :eek:

If anyone else has experiences of this program, I would be only to happy to hear.

Many thanks

Candy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 schubi

... there's no quick fix to obesity, unlike some TV programmes want us to believe...

I've been with Dr. O'Shea's clinic since 2008 and they've saved my life!
    You'll receive general advice, personalised guidance and ... but by now you'll probably know already... How have you been getting on?

I've been at 250+kg for many years and peaked at 300kg in December 2011, when I got nearly immobilized and very ill. I was taken in as a hospital patient, put on a milk diet and then received a gastric bypass surgery procedure. Since December last year, I've lost 100kg and while the weight loss is slowing down, its still on-going and I'm confident to reach my target weight within 2 years.

The team at the clinic is busy but very competent and if you feel, they're not getting through to you, tell them - unless you say something, you'll get the standard advice. The more you interact, the more you'll get from it.

There's a programme on RTE One on Monday Nov. 12th 2012, 9pm "the obesity clinic" - it follows a couple of patients including me on their journey.

To close this reply, the clinic is great - but they can only provide tools, the work has to be done by yourself. They're struggling with underfunding and overcrowding, but if you engage with them, you'll succeed. Don't hesitate to contact me if you have any questions and be sure to switch on the telly on Monday. :-)

I have my appointment next week, I'm just trying to gain as much info as possible before then as I don't do well in unknown situations. Is there any chance you can give me a rough idea of the format of the 1st appointment? ie who you see, what you do etc

Fair play on your results, you are doing very well...I will be tuned in on Monday night :)

What way did things work for you if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks again

Candy

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Greendiamond

Hi candy,
    Just wondering how you got on with the weight management clinic?
    We're you waiting long for the initial appointment ?

Hi Green Diamond,

The appointment went well....I was waiting 3.5 years since my GP referred my....so it is a lengthly process...

If you would like anymore info please don't hesitate to pm me

Candy19

• Registered Users Posts: 7 miss-me1

Hi! Today, I've been told I'm being referred to loughlinstown. I live in Meath and don't drive!! Just wondering is it difficult to get to? Also really interested to hear how your getting on, it's been 2 years since your last post 😜

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭mailforkev

miss-me1 wrote: »
    Hi! Today, I've been told I'm being referred to loughlinstown. I live in Meath and don't drive!! Just wondering is it difficult to get to? Also really interested to hear how your getting on, it's been 2 years since your last post 😜

The 145 bus from Dublin city centre (Heuston Station is first stop) drops you outside. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Red snapper

Hey I'm attending my first app on tue coming and was wondering how long the wait is b4 your actual surgery takes place...as I have type 2 diabetes and obstructive sleep apnea and high blood pressure...

Advertisement