Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 reps of 10

Options
  • 04-05-2015 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Is 3 reps of the strongest weight I can do good for strength or gains? 3 is the max I can do

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

When you say 3 reps of 10, I don't get what you mean? Do you mean 3 reps of 10 kg? Or did you mean 3 sets of 10?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭mick145

jlm29 wrote: »
    When you say 3 reps of 10, I don't get what you mean? Do you mean 3 reps of 10 kg? Or did you mean 3 sets of 10?
    3 reps of 10 sets

• Registered Users Posts: 27,845 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

mick145 wrote: »
    3 reps of 10 sets

So you can do 3 squats and then take your 30/60 sec rest and then do 3 more squats and rest and repeat until you do 10 groups of 3 ?

Surely your mixing sets and reps up ? The reps are the amount of 'movements' and the sets are the group of reps.

Most gym programmes I've used would be based off 3/5 sets of 10/12/15 reps.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭mick145

not squats, dumbbell curls. and no im fairly sure im not mixing them up.

not squats, dumbbell curls. and no im fairly sure im not mixing them up.

Ok so with the curl you start with your arms hanging by your waist, you curl the bar to your chest and lower again to your waist. Each curl then is one rep. Then each set is built of a number of reps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

and no im fairly sure im not mixing them up.

I think you probably are (see above)

Are curls the only exercise you are doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,558 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I've seen references to training based on 10 3-rep sets so it's possible OP isn't mixing up reps and sets.

But I've no idea what the question is...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I've seen references to training based on 10 3-rep sets so it's possible OP isn't mixing up reps and sets.

But I've no idea what the question is...

I've done 8x3 for dynamic effort sessions but I don't remember ever seeing 10x3.

I think the question is whether it's the best way. It's not.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Brian? wrote: »
    I've done 8x3 for dynamic effort sessions but I don't remember ever seeing 10x3.

I think the question is whether it's the best way. It's not.

I had a program to help improve my overall strength with 3 sessions a week involving squats, deadlift, and bench press. 3 reps per set and 10/12 sets per exercise. Max weight I could take at the time. Ridiculas tempo (for me) as well with a 4-2-5 count.
    It really helped me improve my lift over the course of a month. Changed up programs after that as I was getting bored so brought in more variety.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,558 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Brian? wrote: »

If you read a bit more T-Nation it might ring a bell :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement