Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to register .ie domain

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭FionMc

pretty sure you just need an irish passport and address to register a .ie. At least that's how it was a few years ago. Has that changed? I thought the business info is only for non-Irish nationals

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭brynne

FionMc wrote: »
    pretty sure you just need an irish passport and address to register a .ie. At least that's how it was a few years ago. Has that changed? I thought the business info is only for non-Irish nationals
    I think you'll find it's residency, rather than citizenship, that is necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

brynne wrote: »
    Correct

The actual policy talks about a "connection to Ireland" though the criteria is a bit different between private individuals and companies:
    https://www.weare.ie/document-requirements/

• Registered Users Posts: 25,717 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

brynne wrote: »

I think it's just residence, rather than residency. I recall only having to provide proof-of-address.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭MouseMan01

Zonua wrote: »
    The ".ie" domain names are among the most controlled in the world.

Agreed. I wouldn't mind only I seem to remember many moons ago when i was first starting in the online industry.

The IEDR forgetting to renew their own domain name and losing it to domain squatters presumably.

Am i remembering this correctly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,322 ✭✭✭jmcc

MouseMan01 wrote: »
    Agreed. I wouldn't mind only I seem to remember many moons ago when i was first starting in the online industry.

The IEDR forgetting to renew their own domain name and losing it to domain squatters presumably.

Am i remembering this correctly?
    Enterprise Ireland was a more notable drop.
    Old Hoster - New Hoster - Month - Zone Date - Transaction

HOSTINGNET.COM UNIREGISTRYMARKET.LINK March 2016 2016-04-01 Transfer
    15X.NET HOSTINGNET.COM October 2008 2008-11-01 Transfer
    DIRECTSEEK.COM 15X.NET April 2002 2002-05-06 Transfer
    AMPSC.COM DIRECTSEEK.COM December 2002 2002-01-06 Transfer
    INDIGO.IE AMPSC.COM September-October 2001 2001-11-04 Transfer
    INDIGO.IE N/A December 2000 Epoch

IEDR.COM also expired and was lost in April 2003 but it was recovered. It wasn't the primary brand domain name though.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 14 luckypenguin

I could be wrong, but I advise you to ask for professional advice. Try to write to the support of hosting companies I think people are more qualified in this matter. Now such companies offer a wide range of services, I think they can help with this. I use such a company. You can try to find out.

Mod edit - no hosting companies talk or links allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

I went down the road of setting up a name with CRO, the RBN1 form etc. to register as irish version of my surname.

That's all I used it for.

I've forgotten about having the name with CRO for years now.

Should I have been filing tax returns? The company name was only used to register a domain, it hasn't done anything since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

To answer my own question here in case someone else is searching.

It's not an issue, but I needed an accountant to confirm this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 visnor

Registering a .ie domain can be a great choice for targeting an Irish audience. Make sure to check eligibility requirements, as .ie domains have specific criteria to meet. Good luck with the registration process!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭bikermartin

I'm not an expert, but it might be worth considering the long-term implications. If you intend to run an e-commerce business, it's usually advisable to have the necessary business documentation in order. Maybe you can start by getting the needed registration, even if you're not making a profit initially. It might save you headaches down the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 KylaDecker

It is worth considering the option of indicating that the domain will be used for personal purposes. However, remember that if you plan to use it for commercial purposes in the future, it may be useful to provide the required documents in advance. You will have to decide how important it is to comply with domain registration requirements now versus potential problems in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 The Soup Dragon

I am not in Ireland (yet) and have just been to the Eurodns website which will allow me to buy a .ie domain name

Advertisement