Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things I wish I had done when building?

Options
  • 27-03-2008 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭

Mods if you feel this isn't a good idea please delete.

I had an idea for a sticky thread that would allow people who have built houses or extensions in the past and then when it was finished or even many years after say "I wish I did X,Y and Z when I was building, if I was ever to build again I would ......"

The reason I think it might help is that many people on here will have gone through the process of building and in hindsight seen things that people who are now building can't see, be it things like I wish I had dry lined the external walls of the house or I wish I had put in zones in the heating system or even things as simple as I wish I had put a tap down the bottom of the garden or ran ducting for power to the front garden etc.

Just an idea?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

I'll wait for muffler and Mellor to comment here but one thing I wouldn't like is something like a thread we got the other night. The op had a job done and in his own words was very happy. He than asked if he might have got it done cheaper had he used foreign labour.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

LOL Well that wasn't what I was looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,837 ✭✭✭✭muffler

smashey wrote: »
    I'll wait for muffler and Mellor to comment here but one thing I wouldn't like is something like a thread we got the other night. The op had a job done and in his own words was very happy. He than asked if he might have got it done cheaper had he used foreign labour.
    Says he who knows it all :D. Still awaiting that feedback thread ;)

I can see what Villain has in mind and in one way looks OK but I wouldnt sticky it though. The other problem I see with this sort of thread is that most people who have built in the past will air their views here in a lot of other threads in any event. I have seen them advising others not to do this that or the other depending on the topic being discussed.

Maybe let it run for the time being and see what sort of input or feedback we get.

One regret: soundproofing between rooms, I should have broken up the ceiling at the walls between rooms as I get a lot of sound carried between rooms via the solid ceiling :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭250882

didnt exactly build the house but I worked for the engineers in charge of the estate so I bought off plans and was able to make changes from founds up (but I was young and inexperienced so I left loads of stuff out).

insulate floor joists or better still put in hollowcore.
    Should have gone open plan rather than have a dark cold corridor,
    solar panels a definate.
    velux cabrio instead of top hung,
    no pvc windows,
    super insulate the attic and use air tight construction (sarking board etc.) proprietry internal door units with factory fitted frames and seals, no more dodgy carpentry.
    woodburning stove instead of open fire.
    build garage onto side of house rather than detached.
    gas instead of oil
    storm porch on front of house
    Most importantly though. should have insisted that all the dodgy plasterwork was fixed and the snag completed before signing anything.

but still the next one will be better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭lanod2407

- More insulation around the windows
    - Better costing process
    - Planted trees and hedges at the very start - the damn things don't grow overnight!
    - Insulated the dormer section a helluva lot better
    - Built A garage - never mind one detached or otherwise!
    - A bigger kitchen

Next one will definitely be better!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Good stuff guys

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭dcom

I like this thread.
    Good idea villian and thanks to those who posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭construct06

I wish we didnt put down black tiles in the hallway.

Cannot keep them clean.

Exact same tile in kitchen in cream, no bother keep clean.

Moral..never use black floor tiles....!

I wish we didnt put down black tiles in the hallway.

Cannot keep them clean.

Exact same tile in kitchen in cream, no bother keep clean.

Moral..never use black floor tiles....!
    Have you been talking to Mrs. smashey? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭construct06

no...but mrs. construct_06 is a very unhappy bunny with her black tiles...
    is mrs. smashey in same situation...!?:rolleyes:

no...but mrs. construct_06 is a very unhappy bunny with her black tiles...
    is mrs. smashey in same situation...!?:rolleyes:
    She certainly is. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

Would it be good to insulate in between ceilings/joists? Does it actually do anything for sound/warmth.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Fingalian

Build the shed/garage/barn before the house and make sure you can secure it well..........then you don't need a container, and you have somewhere dry to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 slanleat

When your happy with the size of your utility room, tripple it!

slanleat wrote: »
    When your happy with the size of your utility room, tripple it!
    Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭250882

maybe theres something to that, I call mine a futility room as I cant get in the door with all the junk that accumilates, but I know it would be tha same no matter what size it was

• Registered Users Posts: 21 slanleat

Most double up as laundry rooms and if you have kids, size does matter..
    The more storage you can fit into your utility room, the more chance u have of keeping the kitchen free of clutter.
    Apart from what the units can take (cleaning + laundry products, shoe polishes, dusters, cloths, black bags, plastic bags, paper bags, bulbs, batteries and all those other bits that just have no obvious home), it’s the place where the washing machine and drier go, as well as the iron, ironing board, clothes horse/s, wellies, mucky shoes, school bags, handbags, work bags, shopping bags, hats, scarfs, gloves, possibly the hotpress, Then theres the sweeping brush, clothes pegs, clothes line basket, mop, bucket, first aid etc etc..
    Make sure its off the kitchen and has a sink.
    Im a mammy with 3 kids, so maybe Im bias, but ask any woman u know with a util room, would they like a bigger one..utility room that is.;)

Utility room ......... now there's a candidate for "why can I never get this room right"!!!???

A few nuggets from my experiences - there are a few strangely shaped items that need storage, usually in the Utility Room, and a bit of thought up-front will go a long way:

- Vacuum Cleaner
    - Ironing Board
    - Sports equipment - hurleys, boots, gear-bags
    - Outdoor shoes, boots and coats,
    - Indoor bins for recycling
    - Laundry - at every stage of the cycle!
    - Speaking of which - space / facility to dry clothes during the Irish wet season!

Love the Futility Room quote - tells a thousand tales!!!

slanleat wrote: »
    Most double up as laundry rooms and if you have kids, size does matter..
    The more storage you can fit into your utility room, the more chance u have of keeping the kitchen free of clutter.
    Apart from what the units can take (cleaning + laundry products, shoe polishes, dusters, cloths, black bags, plastic bags, paper bags, bulbs, batteries and all those other bits that just have no obvious home), it’s the place where the washing machine and drier go, as well as the iron, ironing board, clothes horse/s, wellies, mucky shoes, school bags, handbags, work bags, shopping bags, hats, scarfs, gloves, possibly the hotpress, Then theres the sweeping brush, clothes pegs, clothes line basket, mop, bucket, first aid etc etc..
    Make sure its off the kitchen and has a sink.
    Im a mammy with 3 kids, so maybe Im bias, but ask any woman u know with a util room, would they like a bigger one..utility room that is.;)
    Fair enough points although I dont think you would actually need it 3 times bigger after it is planned out but I can see where you are coming from alright.

And yes, most of my female clients would want a bigger one ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Bobby04

Alot of my "gripes" have already been mentioned by others. Looks like we could have learned something here :o

Finish garage first for storage during build of house.
    Build bigger utility room.
    Insulate better, basically everywhere.
    Pay more attention to details eg. the seal and/or insulation around windows.
    Run Cat6 instead of Cat5 cable.
    Price around a bit more for everything (though not too many regrets there).

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

In my second house now and made sure to add outside tap and outside lights. If I had have thought of it I would have added a few discreet outside power sockets.

I also put a dog run down the back but should have connected it to the sewer instead of having to shovel up the crap:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭NickTellis

I'd be very curious to know what size utility rooms people have. We're planning to put one into a new extension but I'm not sure about the size to go for as it also needs to double as a laundry room with some sort of built in clothes horse for those days when you can't leave clothes outdoors (i.e. 90% of the year). At the moment it's about 2 x 2.5 metres...

Ours is circa 10 ft x 12 ft - and is too small. Have 4 kids doing a lot of sport.
    I beileve its too square - wasted space in the middle of the floor. Better designed if it was longer and narrower

Contains - clothes horse (damn nuisance!), washing machine and dryer housed under a counter top unit that also has a sink. Oil boiler also under the sink. 4 storage cupboards over the sink for cleaning kit, some booze, basket of bulbs, and other incidentals.
    One wall has built in cupboards for recycling bin, bag of spuds, lots of coats and the ironing board & vacuum cleaner. BUT - neither are in there - it's full of hurleys, archery equipment, tennis rackets and whatever is "in season"!!

More drawer units under the window with pull-out baskets for all things sporting that need storing - from sliothars to gloves to hats and gum-shields. Then there's the rack for shoes, boots and all things at the end of your feet ..................... TBH, I was happier in the 2 up 2 down in Surrey!!!!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

lanod2407 wrote: »
    TBH, I was happier in the 2 up 2 down in Surrey!!!!:eek:

More room, more rubbish:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭MrLNB

This thread is very very helpful for those like myself drawing up the plans. We all learn from each other here. Why not sticky this???.

Guys, keep posting your "wish I had done" here. Its great.

I have learned a fair bit reading this. One thing though, keep it to what its for. some of the other stickys go off track a lot. . . :rolleyes:
    Thanks,

LNB

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Next time I'll have a concrete stairs so I don't have to worry about creaky steps when I'm sneaking in late from the pub!

Oh and I'll make sure to run the chimney externally rather than internally it was a damn nuisance where it went up beside the head of the bed in the last build.

invest4deepvalue.com

Avoid black PVC-U doors & windows, they expand and contract quite a large amount, I've found that the patio doors stick in the heat and are draughty in the winter.
    I have to adjust them twice a year now! The missus got some black blinds to match and they act like solar heaters in the summer as well (help heat the house in the winter though)

Do-more wrote: »
    Oh and I'll make sure to run the chimney externally rather

Not in Donegal you wouldn't. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

smashey wrote: »
    Not in Donegal you wouldn't. ;)

Far be it from me to add to the blighted landscape in Donegal!

invest4deepvalue.com

Advertisement