Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice re renovating & extending a 1950's house

Options
  • 11-09-2008 11:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭

Great thread!

We are planning a complete renovation and 2 storey extension to our 3 bed semi in Cork.

The house is a poorly-built 1950's house and has suffered from subsidence. Happily, our insurance has stumped up for this.

The original house needs dry-lining etc.

I'd be delighted if posters would suggest things we should include (obviously w/o recommending suppliers/products).

Sofar, I have learned that insulation, windows, HRV and solar panels are all important. Obviously, we need to manage costs.

Any input on standards etc we should look for when choosing products would be much appreciated.

Many thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

blindsider wrote: »
    Great thread!

We are planning a complete renovation and 2 storey extension to our 3 bed semi in Cork.

The house is a poorly-built 1950's house and has suffered from subsidence. Happily, our insurance has stumped up for this.

I'd be delighted if posters would suggest things we should include (obviously w/o recommending suppliers/products).

Sofar, I have learned that insulation, windows, HRV and solar panels are all important. Obviously, we need to manage costs.

Any input on standards etc we sghould look for when choosing products would be much appreciated.

Many thanks!

HRV is wishful thinking on any existing house nevermind a 1950's one.

Slig wrote: »
    HRV is wishful thinking on any existing house nevermind a 1950's one.

Depends on how extensive the renovations are, if it's possible to make the existing structure airtight then go for it, attention to detail when drylining; otherwise just concentrate on high insulation levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,879 ✭✭✭✭muffler

blindsider wrote: »
    Great thread!

Any input on standards etc we should look for when choosing products would be much appreciated.

Many thanks!
    This is not what this thread is really about so i will move the above posts to a new thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭jenggg

I know this thread is quite old but I would love to hear how the OP got on with their renovations as I am in similar position. Want to buy a house in Cork that is having subsidence work carried out by the vendor's. Are you happy that once it's done it's good for life?? And just wondering what your renovation costs came to in the end? Thanks a lot!

Advertisement