Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying knives

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Threads merged.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

dickwod1 wrote: »
    There used by professional chefs
    Chefs use all brands of knives.

As it happens, I actually have this set. It's the first really decent set that I bought and you can really tell the difference, the quality is immense. I only bought and actual set because that's the combo of knives that I needed so it worked out much cheaper.

How would you tell the difference between the 20 euro and 90 euro cook's knives? It'd be great if there was somewhere you could test out different knives for sharpness, weight and balance before buying.
    Sweeney's have all their knives out on display so you can check them out before you buy them. I bought mine online but if I had've known beforehand that they carried such a big range I probably would've bought the set from them.

One thing I would recommend is knife protectors, especially if you're not using a block for storing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭chriity139

I can see after them if you would like? If you can post them to me and cover return postage that would be no bother.
    I have a few videos up on youtube about sharpening, those might help if want to have a go yourself. It's well worth learning how. You might enjoy it, it's relaxing!

Ceramics can be sharpened, but usually using diamond paste as the ceramic is so hard. Here's a video Tom Blodgett did for a sharpening forum I am on, shaving with a ceramic knife. He is one supplier of good quality sharpening kit, stones, compounds, nano-cloth etc.

that video is impressive but wouldnt be brave enough to try it

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Pinky123

I bought the Jamie Oliver set on Amazon last week and they are fantastic, cost €125 incl delivery. I had forgotten the difference between using a basic set and a good set :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

I'm looking for a good set of knives for a while came across these today.

Can anyone recommend?

http://www.livingsocial.com/ireland/cities/1677-national-ireland/deals/642206-seven-piece-coloured-kitchen-knife-set

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Threads merged.

Threads merged.

Sorry :o

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭GastroBoy

dave1982 wrote: »
    I'm looking for a good set of knives for a while came across these today.

Can anyone recommend?

http://www.livingsocial.com/ireland/cities/1677-national-ireland/deals/642206-seven-piece-coloured-kitchen-knife-set

I'm sure they would be okay, if taken care of properly, they look reasonable and its a good deal.

However the colors would do my head in, I much prefer classic silver with black.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

BaZmO* wrote: »

:confused: I didn't say chef's exclusively use Wusthof knives and nothing else.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I maintian that the best value for money for 99.999999999999999% of people is to just buy 4/5 victorinox knives from a catering suppliers show (tommy varden etc), once you look after then they will last you years and they are brilliant kinves for the money.

For less than €100 you could have everything you need.

in fact, this kit is pretty much everything you could ever want, even if you are a professional, and it's €94.99 with an 8.5" cooks knife or you can get the same set with a 10" cooks knife for €99

http://www.nisbets.ie/Victorinox-Chefs-Knife-Set-and-Wallet/F221/ProductDetail.raction

• Advertisement

GastroBoy wrote: »
    I'm sure they would be okay, if taken care of properly, they look reasonable and its a good deal.

However the colors would do my head in, I much prefer classic silver with black.

Thanks the colors are whats putting me off them, but if they are good and they seem a bargain.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

dave1982 wrote: »

Thanks the colors are whats putting me off them, but if they are good and they seem a bargain.

I, personally, wouldn't touch them to be honest.

I never said you did.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Deise Musashi

I would go for a nice basic victorinox set over any novelty coloured knives, get a feel for the size and shape you favour before investing in more knives.

The basic set may very well be all you ever need!

I thought I'd post this here as well...
    I just finished refreshing the edge on this one for a boardsie, hope he likes it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

You try to help someone out with info and this happens ...
    IMHO Wusthof knives are the best knives you can buy for money
    There used by professional chefs
    I never said you did.

Okay, If you say so.

You try to help someone out with info and this happens ...

Okay, If you say so.

Huh? Persecution complex much? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,749 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Give it a rest. No more off-topic sniping thanks.

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭ScottStorm

Hi,

Can anybody tell me where to get a decent set of reasonably priced knives, My last set is on the way out (Judge Sabatier) and I want to replace with as good or better.

I'm not looking for fine japanese steel; more the kind of setup a trainee chef might purchase.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated, I'm prepared to spend in the region of €200.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭bhamsteve

Depends on your tastes but plenty to choose from at Nisbitts

Victorinox Rosewood Handle would be my favourite in that price range. Nice big handles, comfortable to use for hours on end, and easy to sharpen. Just watch them in a dishwasher, the handles will look worn after a year or two.

Or Dick knives look pretty stylish, high quality too. They are expensive though. Could start with 3 or 4 and add more later (the chef's knife in this set is a bit on the small side though).

A diamond steel will keep the knives very sharp on a daily basis and you can use a whetstone occasionally to put a new edge on them.

BTW, €200 is quite a lot to spend on a first set, you're likely to drop them, lose them or have them pinched at some stage.
    A set of Swibo knives might be a good idea, yellow handles makes them stand out when you're looking for them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Threads merged.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭BeerSteakBirds

Any views on the knives of some firms named
    ''Taylor's Eye Witness'' and ''Splash'' or ''Apollo splash''

I never heard of them before but I see a reasonable deal for knife block sets in Tk MAXX.

http://www.apollohousewares.com/product/knife-block-set/ This one or example with some kind of fibre filled knife block.

Can anybody tell me where to get a decent set of reasonably priced knives, My last set is on the way out (Judge Sabatier) and I want to replace with as good or better.

Go in to Sweeney O'Rourkes and have a look at different brands of knives.
    I like Victorinox and F. Dick in the fibrox handles, cheap and easy to sharpen.
    Try a few knives out to see what you like, buy wherever you get the best deal.

McDonnel's are main agents for F. Dick knives.

Nisbets.ie have several choices as well.
    ''Taylor's Eye Witness'' and ''Splash'' or ''Apollo splash''

Taylor's Eye Witness are sheffield based and make a decent knife, never heard of the others, but I dislike coatings on kitchen knives.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭rgiller

I've got a Taylor's Eye Witness chef's knife from TK Maxx. It's 3.5 years old now and still going strong. Great knife. I sharpen it about every 3 months - probably do a crap job but the knife still cuts through anything

rgiller wrote: »
    I've got a Taylor's Eye Witness chef's knife from TK Maxx. It's 3.5 years old now and still going strong. Great knife. I sharpen it about every 3 months - probably do a crap job but the knife still cuts through anything

I can help you with that if you'd like? Drop me a pm if you want to chat about sharpening

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Was in BTs yesterday picking up some coffee and wandered over to the knife case. There was 20% of Heston's Global Knives but then I saw a glass case at the counter where they had selected Wustof's at 50% off. The one I've always wanted (8 inch chef's knife(model is Grand Prix II)) was there and I bounced out the door having picked it up for e52.50. Sliced an onion with it when I got home and it's simply amazing!!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/sthof-Grand-8-Inch-Cooks-Knife/dp/B0001WVZ3I/ref=sr_1_5?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1370858849&sr=1-5&keywords=wusthof+grand+prix+ii+cook

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,063 ✭✭✭✭beertons

What's this knife set like?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00A1BZHNI/ref=s9_simh_gw_p201_d0_i5?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0WFW8K30DWHZPTB0GKW0&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=430153987&pf_rd_i=468294

Worth the money? I had a set from Argos a few years, 5 piece with a wooden block, but the handles are starting to come apart and the blade is a little shakey. They few reviews I have read are all good. I don't have a subscription to Which magazine, so can't check for reviews there.

Merged with the big Buying Knives thread.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

beertons wrote: »
    What's this knife set like?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00A1BZHNI/ref=s9_simh_gw_p201_d0_i5?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0WFW8K30DWHZPTB0GKW0&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=430153987&pf_rd_i=468294

Worth the money? I had a set from Argos a few years, 5 piece with a wooden block, but the handles are starting to come apart and the blade is a little shakey. They few reviews I have read are all good. I don't have a subscription to Which magazine, so can't check for reviews there.

Never heard of the but for that price I wouldn't expect the world. I've paid more than that for a few separate knives.

You get what you pay for from reputable sites with knives so find a knife you like and shop around reputable stores. Having tried a few my preference is
    Wüsthof by a margin.

Yeah, if a deal seems too good to be true it probably is. You'd be better off spending all the money on one good all purpose knife and then add to that.

You have to ask yourself how many of the knives will you actually use.

I bought myself a Wusthof set (chefs knife, bread knife, and paring knife) last year and I haven't looked back. Only regret is that I didn't do it years ago. Spent years buying "bargain" knives only to replace every other year.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,063 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I suppose I would use 3 of those 5 knives every day. Having the knife block is important, it's kept Up on the windowsill away from little hands. I'll have a look at the brand suggested. Not interested in buying them individually yet.

Nvm, I see they sell them with blocks too.

Advertisement