Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying knives

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Faith wrote: »
    This is news to me... What's the difference between them?

The top one is a carving knife, the bottom a bread knife.

As you can see the bread knife has peaked and quite deep serration where as the carving knife has rounded and pretty shallow serration. If you use the bread knife to carve meat, it will tear it up and leave it very rough. The carving knife, because of it's rounded serration eases through the meat and leaves it smooth and perfect.

If you use the carving knife on bread, especially breads with a robust crust, the rounded shallow serration wears down very quickly and you are pretty much left with something that's only useful for slicing a side of smoked salmon because it's so smooth. Or a really big pallet knife.

Swibo-Slicing-Knife-25cm.jpg

Avant-Garde-AV40002-rw-12211-1425.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭nompere

The problem I find with any serrated knife I've ever used is that they're designed for right-handed use. We left-handers do dreadful things to meat and bread with knives like that. All my own knives have symmetrical blades.

I've never gone looking for left-handed knives - I suppose they are available. I don't ever recall seeing them. I know left-handed scissors are, and the joy of using scissors in the left hand instead of making a mess trying to use my right hand!

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

I never thought of the left-handed side of things and I'm left-handed! Maybe that's why I always seem to butcher anything I try to slice. Not sure about ordering that one that was recommended now so I might have a wander around some of the kitchen shops at the weekend and check out the serrations.

I agree about left-handed scissors too. I could never figure out why scissors never worked for me and when I got my first left-handed pair it was almost a religious experience. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I hate to say it but when it comes to carving, especially for turkeys, I don't bother opening the knife drawer (and I've built up a few suitable knives in the drawer over the years if I was really pushed to it). I just use one of these:

large-KN400.jpg

Yeah, it's not going to be as clean as a razor-sharp, properly honed carving knife...
    ...but it's turkey. So you need to cut a lot of slices for a lot of people when carving, most of the time (that's just the kind of event you serve turkey at), and this is fast. And the sightly rougher cut? Soaks up the gravy, doesn't it? :D

And to be honest about it, none of my knives are as razor-sharp as they ought to be (I still haven't found a place local to me that I can dump a box of knives with and get back sharpened properly). And I suspect that the same might be true of a lot of people. So the perfectly cut turkey breast just isn't going to be done with a normal carver for most people anyway... so why not do it faster, easier and with less effort?

I mean, it's not like we're finely dicing garlic here :D

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Deise Musashi

to be honest about it, none of my knives are as razor-sharp as they ought to be (I still haven't found a place local to me that I can dump a box of knives with and get back sharpened properly). And I suspect that the same might be true of a lot of people.
    I'm happy to do them for you lad, just cover postage back to yours and we're set. You do a lot of work on the shooting forum, and in promoting the sport, I'd be happy to do this to go some way to thanking you for the effort.

I can use Chosera stones ( mounted on an Edge Pro. Pro model) on your fine Japanese steel or a Viel 1x42 belt sander wired to run slow and cool with micron belts and leather surgisharp belt for the more common Victorinox and F. Dick catering knives.
    Flat, chisel, scandi or convex grinds no bother. I can thin bevels, remove chips and repair damaged tips if they aren't too bad.

Some videos of what and how I do are in my signature, if you want to, drop me a PM to discuss what kind of edge you would like?
    Some prefer a polished 400 grit edge to leave some tooth in the cuts, on suitable steel I like a high grit finish and a polish to one micron.

Viel belt sander
    DSCF0074.jpg

Edge Pro with a selection of stones and tapes in bacground

DSCF1597.jpg

Shiny Sharp

DSCF1529.jpg

If anyone wants to learn to sharpen for themselves I am happy to answer any questions or help out any way I can.

I have chipped chef knives on the crust of my homemade bread, definitely a need for a decent bread knife, get a good long one! MAC are recommended a lot on foodie forums?

DSC00096.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Mathiasb

I've been trying to find a Kyocera FK ceramic knife like this but I can't find it anywhere in Dublin.

Does anyone know where I can get one?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Threads merged.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Photo-Sniper

Im a chef and I have been using Global knives for the past year and to be honest their are no better knives on the market.

Pricey but well worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

I got a selection of 5 global knives almost a decade ago and never looked back. Very expensive then and I assume they have not dropped in price but well worth it in the long term.

I've been trying to find a Kyocera FK ceramic knife like this but I can't find it anywhere in Dublin.

Does anyone know where I can get one?

Not in Dublin, but Amazon has them.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=kyocera+ceramic&tag=googiehydra-21&index=garden&hvadid=3947355300&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=12666712711816882052&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&ref=pd_sl_7ycktacxr9_b
    Im a chef and I have been using Global knives for the past year and to be honest their are no better knives on the market.
    Pricey but well worth it.

They obviously suit you, but different knives and handles, lengths and weights and balance suit different people.
    I like traditional Ho handles and hardwearing Micarta and G10 materials, many people don't.

Knives are a personal thing to lots of people which is why I recommend people go and pick up some knives in a shop if possible.
    What looks good may not feel the best in your hand.
    I got a selection of 5 global knives almost a decade ago and never looked back. Very expensive then and I assume they have not dropped in price but well worth it in the long term.

Global are still pricey, and the most faked knives on E-Bay!

There are plenty of really good knives available for much less money, but sometimes only one brand or style will do ;)

I've bought "the last knife I'll want" about twenty times now... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Just a word on Henckels, be aware that there are two brands in operation. For the highest quality you are looking for the Zwilling Henckels brand and the "twins' logo.
    http://www.zwilling.com/en/knife-series.1206.html

Henckles also make a 'value' brand marketed under J. A. HENCKELS INTERNATIONAL, with a "hiker" logo (guy holding a stick) this means for half the price of a high end 10 inch chefs knife (at €98) - you can buy an entire 13 piece block of knives. Looks like you are getting a bargain, except these are made in China and stamped not forged and have polypropylene glued on handles.

http://www.amazon.com/Henckels-International-Everedge-13-Piece-Cheese/dp/B00005K8PA

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Pinky123

Need to replace my kitchen knives, budget is about €100 to €120. Any recommendations. Has anyone used the Jamie Oliver ones

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Threads merged.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Bought a Ceramic knife from Aldi out of pure curiosity, it was cheap and I kinda needed another knife:D

It's extremely sharp and needed a rub of a steel only twice in a month which brought the edge right back. Only problem is, I suppose its obvious it being ceramic, it is rigid as hell. I snapped a couple of mm's off the tip when it stuck in a wooden block and I gave it a wiggle to free it.

It s rigidity feels really strange too having used steel butcher/boning knives for years.

Anyone else any experience with ceramic knives?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Bought a Ceramic knife from Aldi out of pure curiosity, it was cheap and I kinda needed another knife:D

It's extremely sharp and needed a rub of a steel only twice in a month which brought the edge right back. Only problem is, I suppose its obvious it being ceramic, it is rigid as hell. I snapped a couple of mm's off the tip when it stuck in a wooden block and I gave it a wiggle to free it.

It s rigidity feels really strange too having used steel butcher/boning knives for years.

Anyone else any experience with ceramic knives?
    Interesting that using a steel brings the edge back. I would've thought that'd be impossible given the nature of ceramic compared to steel.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Interesting that using a steel brings the edge back. I would've thought that'd be impossible given the nature of ceramic compared to steel.

I understand diamond is used in the sharpening equipment. It said on the box to have it sharpened by a professional, it didn't cost much so had nothing to lose and did the job. I actually used a ceramic rod(like a steel) I got in Ikea!

I understand diamond is used in the sharpening equipment. It said on the box to have it sharpened by a professional, it didn't cost much so had nothing to lose and did the job. I actually used a ceramic rod(like a steel) I got in Ikea!
    Sharpening and honing are two different things. I'm just surprised that a ceramic knife can be honed at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Can anyone recommend a good sharpener?

I have a set of knives in a block that haven't been sharpened in 2 years, I doubt a honing steel would have much impact.

I also have a set of Victorinox knives that I'm reluctant to use as I have no sharpener.

Deise Musashi ;)

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I picked up a Lansky 5-stone sharpening system while I was stateside. I tested it on the fairly crappy knives in the apartment over there, and I still have a bald spot on my arm that's only slowly growing back after I tested one of them. :eek:

I've never been all that happy with any of the "easy" sharpening tools I've tried, and I don't seem to have the hand-eye co-ordination to hold a 20⁰ (or whatever) angle between a blade and a flat stone, so I'm very pleased with the results from the Lansky. I'll be sharpening the various kitchen knives at the weekend now that I've brought it home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Pinky123 wrote: »
    Need to replace my kitchen knives, budget is about €100 to €120. Any recommendations. Has anyone used the Jamie Oliver ones

Yeah, I have the set. They're great knives, very sharp and have a really nice feel in the hand - nicely weighted and it just feels right. I'd certainly recommend them :)

Thanks Challangemaster,
    Think I will order them on amazon, they are working out at €110, is that around what you paid for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Pinky123 wrote: »
    Thanks Challangemaster,
    Think I will order them on amazon, they are working out at €110, is that around what you paid for them?

To be completely honest, I've had them a few months now and can't remember what I paid for them, but I got a discount on them anyway as the paring knife had the tiniest bend in it at the tip, and it was the last set in store.

€110 sounds about right, though

I have a set of knives in a block that haven't been sharpened in 2 years, I doubt a honing steel would have much impact.

I also have a set of Victorinox knives that I'm reluctant to use as I have no sharpener.
    I can see after them if you would like? If you can post them to me and cover return postage that would be no bother.
    I have a few videos up on youtube about sharpening, those might help if want to have a go yourself. It's well worth learning how. You might enjoy it, it's relaxing!

Ceramics can be sharpened, but usually using diamond paste as the ceramic is so hard. Here's a video Tom Blodgett did for a sharpening forum I am on, shaving with a ceramic knife. He is one supplier of good quality sharpening kit, stones, compounds, nano-cloth etc.

Ok, Achica have the Sabatier 2Lions Jupiter 5piece set on sale for £90. Sabatier is carbon steel and Jamie Oliver ones are Japanese steel, which would be better for use and easy maintenance

I like carbon steels for ease of sharpening and take a really sharp edge.
    They will also discolour (patina) and may rust. If you aren't the type to hand wash and dry your knives, a stainless steel would probably be a better fit.

I haven't been able to find out what steel J. Oliver's knives are made of?

MoV just means they contain Molybdenum/Vanadium, common alloying elements but no indication of the proportions? For example my Spyderco Tenacious used 8Cr13MoV, it seemed to work like AUS-8 or 12C27.
    Decent and easy to resharpen, decent stain resistance.

I would try to handle as many knives as possible to see what feels good for yourself.
    Buy online if that's the best price, but there is nothing like comparing knives side by side to help decide what length/width/weight and balance is more to your own preference.

For cheap but decent knives have a look at the Victorinox/Swibo and F. Dick ranges, again decent hard working knives in good steel and won't break the bank. I prefer to buy individual knives rather than sets which may contain stuff I have no real use for.

I'm more like one of those abandoned pet shelters, I never turn a knife away, they all have a spot in my kitchen :cool:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Looking for recommendations for two out the kitchen knives -small, large and maybe medium coping knives. All of our ceramic knives have voted and broken so I'm kind of fed up with them so am thinking more of a good metal knife that won't need to be sharpened all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

Looking for recommendations for two out the kitchen knives -small, large and maybe medium coping knives. All of our ceramic knives have voted and broken so I'm kind of fed up with them so am thinking more of a good metal knife that won't need to be sharpened all the time.

IMHO Wusthof knives are the best knives you can buy for money

There used by professional chefs

They are expensive but you get what you pay for these knives wont blunt unless you damage them and once looked after will last you forever

http://www.wusthof.com/desktopdefault.aspx/tabid-77/52_view-123/categories-123

http://www.sweeneyorourke.com/ebstore/so/product_list.asp?p_subcategory=so-wusthof-g

pickarooney, there's a really good thread on this very subject running in Cooking & Recipes HERE

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

How would you tell the difference between the 20 euro and 90 euro cook's knives? It'd be great if there was somewhere you could test out different knives for sharpness, weight and balance before buying.

Advertisement