Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

binge eating :(

Options
  • 13-05-2014 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭

Why oh why can i go months eating a square of dark chocolate a day and then i binge out and be ok for a few more mths and then do same thing

Lost over 3 stone but have lots more to loose. Y does this happen me

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Mariegallagher

Hi
    You may have Binge Eating disorder which is now a recognised eating order

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

Could it be because you are making it 'forbidden' and so crave it and binge? Do you have a cheat meal or treat once a week? Maybe if you had some chocolate(one bar for example) once a week as a treat? It might keep you from binging. There's nothing wrong with a little of what you fancy IMO ;)

I think learning to have occasional treats and not let that turn into a binge is an important part of sustainably loosing weight and keeping it off

• Registered Users Posts: 24,559 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Could it be because you are making it 'forbidden' and so crave it and binge? Do you have a cheat meal or treat once a week? Maybe if you had some chocolate(one bar for example) once a week as a treat? It might keep you from binging. There's nothing wrong with a little of what you fancy IMO ;)

I think learning to have occasional treats and not let that turn into a binge is an important part of sustainably loosing weight and keeping it off

+ 1 on this.

Allow yourself a little bit once a week and you won't build up such a craving that you binge.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭petals rocks1

Thank you for reply

I am strict on myself. To the extent that i weigh in on a monday at 7pm and by 8pm im dreaming of crunchie bar and it turns out to b so much more im eatin

Im a lost cause!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,559 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Thank you for reply

I am strict on myself. To the extent that i weigh in on a monday at 7pm and by 8pm im dreaming of crunchie bar and it turns out to b so much more im eatin

Im a lost cause!

You're not a lost cause.

When you try and refine your diet so that it's better, there's always going to be a certain amount of tweaking.

If being overly strict means you binge every so often, then once a week, have a crunchie. That way you'll have it to look forward to every week. It's not going to cause your healthy lifestyle to implode :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

I am a literal fiend for this.

I will truck along eating well, training well and sleeping well.

Then one day, I will have something small, carby and sugary and... blackout... I wake up hours later surrounded by empty Ben and Jerrys containers, Oreo wrappers and Jars of Nutella.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭pinkstars

I do have Binge Eating disorder!
    I just DO NOT STOP!!!

I hear you. Im the same

I dont know what to do any more! Need to staple my mouth together

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Kyro

Is a binge day every few months really a problem? I mean yeah it's not perfect but if you're eating well for a few months, then one bad day is going to do no harm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭helliwen

I used to do this as well - it's horrible and you feel there's nothing you can do to stop it. People who've never really suffered from bulimia or BED cannot comprehend it.

Is there anything else that causes you to reach for the sweet stuff? i.e. feeling bored, sad, lonely, whatever. If so, have you thought about seeing a therapist/counsellor, maybe for CBT? Or doing some mindfulness practise?
    Have you tried distracting yourself with other activities when the cravings hit?
    Are you eating enough generally or is hunger also playing a role in your binges?

I used to go from cycles of incredibly low-calorie/low-fat dieting to daily binges - usually some stressful event would trigger the "switchover" and then there was no stopping me. I always asked myself why I was sabotaging all the good work I had been doing, until I learned to see the binges as a signal that something else in my life was out of whack, and that the "good work" actually wasn't good for me at all!
    Hope this helps - feel free to PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭BearThomas131

I'm struggling with this myself at the moment, going so well with diet and training then all of a sudden it just feels like I can't control myself and I'm letting everything go out of control, I found before the binge my body felt over trained and tired then I took a break from the training and the binge eating took off, I really need to get back on track as I'm not even half way to my goal :(

Thats exactly how i am. I just need to stop it and dont know how

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Once, I pulled into a filling station to get diesel, and the thoughts of chocolate just took over so much that 5 minutes later I was driving up the road, eating my kinder bueno when I realised I'd forgotten the diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭mcballer

I'm another who does this. Not being trite but Often think its like bulimia with out the making self sick. Can be super focused eat + train well feel great then go carrering out of control bingeing on sugar til I feel Ill. Trying to claw it back right now... In middle of exams so not easy but not making excuses to allow it carry on like this another week.ohhh sugar you are like a drug...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

mcballer wrote: »
    ohhh sugar you are like a drug...

I have been thinking about this a lot lately- I'm close to someone who is struggling with addiction issues with drugs alcohol and cigarettes and the behaviour pattern is strikingly similar- building self up to quit, grumpiness around the initial quitting, getting into it- starting to feel really good and pure, giving way to feeling boring and that life has lost something of it's spark, getting sick of saying no when things are offered, fall off the wagon and get utterly wasted/stuff self with cake and chocolate. Like an addict I find it easier to avoid the sweet stuff entirely than to eat a small or even normal sized portion. When I do give in my desire is insatiable- I just want more and more but afterwards feel ill and guilty. My friend has been advised that because of the way he abuses substances he really should quit entirely for life. Is it the same for me and sugar?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Ben & Jerry's half price in Dunnes...

t_307a6ba69c75401fa1cf53977fb2242a.jpg

Very funny!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Bingeing is a consequence of over-restriction.

Loosen the reins a bit and you'll find it won't happen so often.

I find including the 'absolute best quality' of what you binge on helps and is way more likely to satisfy.

For example if you find yourself eating loads of junky chocolate bars on a binge. Have some lovely artisan chocolates once a week. The full sugar, non dark chocolate kind. Or better yet, eat some high sugar fruit every day.

The inclusion of high sugar fruit and Popcorn Pleasure brand popcorn (made with coconut oil!) keeps me away from the crisps and chocalate bars.

But now and again I'll have a lovely piece of cake from a french patisserie and enjoy the hell out of it and move on with my life.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

If you are binge eating its likely you are chronically under eating midweek.

A lot of people will eat "healthy" 1000 calorie diets Monday - Friday and go mad at the weekend. If you eat a sustainable diet you can fit in a nice snack every day.

You could also "earn" snacks, but dont over estimate how many calories you burn. You'll need to run atleast 5k to earn that crunchie bar :)

• Advertisement

conzy wrote: »
    If you are binge eating its likely you are chronically under eating midweek.

A lot of people will eat "healthy" 1000 calorie diets Monday - Friday and go mad at the weekend. If you eat a sustainable diet you can fit in a nice snack every day.

You could also "earn" snacks, but dont over estimate how many calories you burn. You'll need to run atleast 5k to earn that crunchie bar :)

Yeah, under-eating could definitely be a cause also, the body will rebel as soon as it gets the chance.

Breakfast. 2 weetabix with greek yogurt
    Snack. Banana
    Lunch. Mug shot (tomato&herb) and 4 ryvita
    Snack. Apple
    Dinner. Breast chicken. Rice. Pepper and onion or baked potato with chicken and beans or tuna pasta bake.
    Evening. Coffee and dark
    chocolate

1 hrs cardio

Breakfast. 2 weetabix with greek yogurt
    Snack. Banana
    Lunch. Mug shot (tomato&herb) and 4 ryvita
    Snack. Apple
    Dinner. Breast chicken. Rice. Pepper and onion or baked potato with chicken and beans or tuna pasta bake.
    Evening. Coffee and dark
    chocolate

1 hrs cardio

Depending on portions it very well could be. A cup of soup and 4 ryvita for lunch? I'd be famished after that.

Perhaps i need to eat more of the right food. Days esp after lunch i do feel deprived :(
    Depending on portions it very well could be. A cup of soup and 4 ryvita for lunch? I'd be famished after that.

Advertisement