Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"its illegal to sell lemons in the off licence now"-Responsible Sale of Alcohol

Options
  • 09-12-2008 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭

Was in the offie in supervalu deansgrange last night, had just gotten beers and the woman next in line asks

"Have you got any lemons here?"
    "No, did you check outside in the fruit section?"
    "Yeah, I couldn't find any, you used to keep them here too"
    "Yes, we used to have a basket of lemons & limes but can no longer sell them in the off licence due to the new law"
    :eek:

This is not infact a law but The Responsible Sale of Alcohol Code of Practice
    The Responsible Sale of Alcohol Code of Practice will be launched by Justice, Equality & Law Reform Minister Dermot Ahern TD shortly and mixed traders are urged to start implementing the Code from December 1.

A handy checklist is being developed to assist mixed traders in ensuring that they are complying with the Code. All members of RGDATA who have a full off licence or a wine licence are urged to check out the Code and the Explanatory Guidelines available in the recent RGDATA Update or by clicking here.

Mixed traders will be contacted formally to sign up to the Code but in the meantime all are advised to start preparations so that the key measures can be implement from December 1.

The check list will address all the key issues that will ensure compliance with the Code ie Have I moved all the alcohol to one area in the shop? Have I removed all end of gondola alcohol displays? Have I removed all alcohol branded signage from front of shop? Have all staff that sell alcohol undergone the training? Have I stopped all cross merchandising of alcohol?

RGDATA will post the checklist on the members only section of the website next week

Already a thread in beer & wine about it. Where people have mentioned about it being crazy to try and separate food & drink even futher. And that the minister is of the mindset "eating is cheating" like all good blackout merchants. Thought the ridiculousness of what I heard deserved a AH thread.

If anybody has the full guidelines please post them.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Cpaw

Seems like a silly law to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭SoWatchaWant

Ha ha this is getting ridiculous. It was bad enough with not getting any beer on Sunday mornings to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭SoWatchaWant

Cpaw wrote: »
    :rolleyes: Then why post again. Seems like a silly law to me.

This is more of a frequent forum, not all AHers use the Beer and Wine forum (I certainly wouldn't have heard of it otherwise) and it's something AHers like to discuss?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭shellyboo

Cpaw wrote: »
    Seems like a silly law to me.

It's not a law, it's a voluntary code of practice.

And I think as such that off-licences will exercise some degree of common sense - in an offy where there's a giant supermarket attached, such as SV Deansgrange, they'll keep the lemons with the rest of the lemons; but in a dedicated off-licence, they'll still sell lemons. And limes. And maybe even crisps. There's nothing to say that they can't.

The Code of Practice has a lot of guidelines for stores which sell both grocery and alcohol, merely because this is where a lot of young people find it easier to get their hands on alcohol; it's somewhere that people go perhaps every day; and it does make alcohol more readily available. The same guidelines won't apply for dedicated off licences because the risk is not the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Does that mean my Off-Licence can no longer sell me them lovely Bags o'Taste Sensations Taytos?????? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭RoundTower

shellyboo wrote: »
    It's not a law, it's a voluntary code of practice.

Who wants to be the only off licence that doesn't follow the code of practice on Responsible Service of Alcohol? What Garda would recommend it to the judge, and what judge would approve it when the licence comes up for renewal next year?

It might as well be the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

I blame mary harney

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Joyce Country

Good to see we are getting valur for money from our civil servants. Keep drafting vital legislation like this lads!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Good to see we are getting valur for money from our civil servants. Keep drafting vital legislation like this lads!
    Sure why even bother reading anything before posting. Even the OP said its not legislation...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Proper order, slices of lemon have no place in my drink. FÚCK OFF WITH THEM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Joyce Country

Sure why even bother reading anything before posting. Even the OP said its not legislation...
    apologies :o is it funded by public money though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

apologies :o is it funded by public money though?
    Its a private lobby group.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Shacklebolt

I guess they were honest people and didnt want to sell you a lemon. :rolleyes:

Advertisement