Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dunnes flout new alcohol laws

Options
  • 01-12-2008 9:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭

been in 2 of their stores today, both of them have booze for sale in the middle of the foods, which from today is illegal
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

got a link to the legislation? I've not heard of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

So, our alcohol laws are ridiculous anyway

It goes without saying that before you complained here, you talked to the store management or head office

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Spotted any badly parked cars you'd like to tell us about?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

colly10 wrote: »

Why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Rags

Its daft but true, it has to be a certain distance away from consumables and can only be near / opposite pet foods, firelighters etc. I think the dail has too much time on their hands.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

If we're ever going to develop a mature attitude to alcohol, the government are going to have to stop dressing it up like a big red 'Do Not Push' button.

What has alcohol's proximity to food got to do with promoting sensible drinking. Surely they should be encouraging us to drink with food than necking a bottle of scotch and a six-pack on an empty stomach (or are they of the opinion that 'eating's cheating).

So fair play to Dunnes for promoting sensible drinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

been in 2 of their stores today, both of them have booze for sale in the middle of the foods, which from today is illegal

This is a disgrace, I can't believe Dunnes are promoting binge drinking and general breakdown in society by putting booze near food!

Sean_K wrote: »
    If we're ever going to develop a mature attitude to alcohol, the government are going to have to stop dressing it up like a big red 'Do Not Push' button.

This is why the cafe-bars were such a good idea

"We should be having a beer with our pizza and not a pizza with our beer"

Always liked that quote from Michael McDowell, it's pretty clever when you think about it but then again he is top barrister

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Rags wrote: »
    Its daft but true
    Any danger of a source for this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭gally

Yes McDowell took on the Guards and other vested interests and his constituents voted out one of the best Ministers for Justice we ever had.His predecessor John -zero tolerance-oDonoghue brought to mind the phrase "being savaged by a dead sheep"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

Having little hench men to the OTT alcohol laws is pretty annoying. How up tight would you have to be to come and post on such a ridiculous law being broken on it's first day of existance?

Personally i'd find it entertaining to see such laws being dismissed by the supermarkets

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Agreed, more power to Dunnes. I'd say it's highly possible that no-one actually bothered to tell them about the new law.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭shaca

They definately have too much time on their hands and not a brain between them. They are now saying that you cant place any tayto or snacks or anything that might attract a childs attention, beside the alcohol. And if you run an off licence which does not sell food then kids are not allowed on your premises. Yet it is ok for kids to be in a pub till 9.00pm. They are not allowed sell alcohol after 10.00pm to curb antisocial behaviour yet the pubs are still open. I really dont see the sence in it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭jhegarty

They need to put it on the top shelf , that will solve all our problems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I'd be happier if some offies started flouting the law and closed at half ten or eleven.

Bateman wrote:
    I'd say it's highly possible that no-one actually bothered to tell them about the new law.
    Perhaps because they don't frequent this board. Again: where are people getting all this from?

The 2008 Intoxicating Liquor Act included a section (9) requiring separation of alcohol from other goods in mixed retailers, coming into force one year after the section is commenced. So far, as far as I can see, only one commencement order for the Act has been signed (SI 286 of 2008, 23rd July) and it specifically excepts section 9 from the commencement. So the 12-month clock hasn't even started ticking on that one yet. It may never.

And now people here are saying there are a whole load of new retail alcohol regulations (featuring relative positioning to Tayto and firelighters, among other things) none of which feature in the 2008 Act and would therefore require a whole new Act.

The Grouch, Rags, Shaca: is it possible you may have misheard that there are new alcohol regulations just come into force and that, as Dunnes seems to believe, there aren't?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

zAbbo wrote: »
    Why?
    Because they are partially based around a war which is long over (i.e. the whole concept of closing hours). Then other parts of the laws are based around a fictional character from 2000+ years ago whose alleged birthday is coming up soon, bizarre stuff.

Above all the alcohol laws are shockingly hypocritical, and totally out of line with the other laws on recreational drugs.
    where are people getting all this from?
    Seems it might be voluntary
    ALCOHOL CODE OF PRACTICE UPDATE
    The Responsible Sale of Alcohol Code of Practice will be launched by Justice, Equality & Law Reform Minister Dermot Ahern TD shortly and mixed traders are urged to start implementing the Code from December 1.

A handy checklist is being developed to assist mixed traders in ensuring that they are complying with the Code. All members of RGDATA who have a full off licence or a wine licence are urged to check out the Code and the Explanatory Guidelines available in the recent RGDATA Update or by clicking here.

Mixed traders will be contacted formally to sign up to the Code but in the meantime all are advised to start preparations so that the key measures can be implement from December 1.

The check list will address all the key issues that will ensure compliance with the Code ie Have I moved all the alcohol to one area in the shop? Have I removed all end of gondola alcohol displays? Have I removed all alcohol branded signage from front of shop? Have all staff that sell alcohol undergone the training? Have I stopped all cross merchandising of alcohol?

RGDATA will post the checklist on the members only section of the website next week.
    http://www.rgdata.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=373&Itemid=197

Riiight. Thank-you, Rubadub. This is the voluntary code of practice that the drinks industry promised to do so that section 9 wouldn't be activated, and is neither a regulation nor a law nor anything much to do with the Dáil or the Government.

And by the sounds of it, we the drinkers are not going to get a look at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

I think displaying alcohol on the end of gondolas should be encouraged, not removed.

(or, what the hell do they mean by a gondola? Surely not what I imagine.)

• Advertisement

"Gondola" is an industry euphemism when what they mean is "shower of punts".

gally wrote: »
    Yes McDowell took on the Guards and other vested interests and his constituents voted out one of the best Ministers for Justice we ever had.His predecessor John -zero tolerance-oDonoghue brought to mind the phrase "being savaged by a dead sheep"
    What! McDowell who banned happy hour? If McDowell was still in power we would all have a barcode tatooed onto our neck and it would be scanned every time we ordered a drink to make sure we don't order more than 3 drinks a week!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

Why?

2 weeks ago I decided to drop up to a mates house on a Saturday night and we'd have a few beers, got to the off license at 10.15 only to find it closed because the government have decided that only alchos and kids want beer after 10.

Another reason would be that they put back hours yet again, the reason they give is that town is a warzone when the places close. The only reason that town is a warzone is that every where closes at the same time so the streets are flooded with drunks, if everywhere stayed open till 4 everyone would be leaving in drips and drabs and you wouldn't have the same situation.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Why?

because I can't grab a nice beer or two after work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭11811

so basically the government has deemed all our present alcohol related social problems are a result of dunnes putting a few cans of beer next to the jellytots 15 years ago? :rolleyes:

Part of those pointless laws so the government can pretend that they're doing something about the drink culture, but they actually do nothing

Bateman wrote: »
    Agreed, more power to Dunnes. I'd say it's highly possible that no-one actually bothered to tell them about the new law.

They did take all the beer/wine displays off the shopfloor last sunday. This morning though they were allowed put the booze back out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Every day something comes up which makes me hate this stupid country just a little bit more.. Give it another few years, and the government will also be telling us what time to go to bed...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Rags wrote: »
    Its daft but true, it has to be a certain distance away from consumables and can only be near / opposite pet foods, firelighters etc..

Presumably if somebody goes in, buys his booze, dog food and fuel, then goes home, gets langered and sets his dog on fire, it will be the fault of the placement as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Was saying this in AH today, unfortunately not a joke...

Was in the offie in supervalu deansgrange last night, had just gotten beers and the woman next in line asks

"Have you got any lemons here?"
    "No, did you check outside in the fruit section?"
    "Yeah, I couldn't find any, you used to keep them here too"
    "Yes, we used to have a basket of lemons & limes but can no longer sell them in the off licence due to the new law"

Advertisement