Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for people with new guitars

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Meh, I don't even look at the guitar when I'm playing... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Who do you look at then?

Edit -> Oh, wait, wait, I know! You're looking at the bass player to tell you when to change chords! Me Stupido! How could I forget? You know, Feylya dear boy, sometimes you seem quite lucid and I forget you're a guitarist! :D

Bassist? What's that? I don't need no stinkin bassist. I look at my amp, giving out about the tone coming out of it!

[wink]Yeah, of course you are [/wink] :p

Smart arsed bassists... Go back to staring at your feet.

What do you think of that 6 string for €420 though?

• Advertisement

Looks nice, but could be a piece of shyte. Worth a gamble though, you could alwyas sell it for more here. Still, 6 strings is so much fun. Takes a while to get used to where everything is but for the added range you get, it's worth the stress. Then it's just a matter of changing your playing style to take advantage of the extra range (more than a regular guitar) while still 'keeping it real' down at the bottom end. The low notes are best used sparingly. I did a gig with my mates blues band just after I got the new pickups and kept the B string for a few special moments when I wanted to rattle the rafters.

I am so easily amused :confused:

Doctor J wrote:
    I am so easily amused :confused:

A true bassist :p

Yeah, I'd love to gamble on it but €450 is a lot of money :( And notice the arm cut away. It goes through the quilt top...

If you're unsure, walk away, I don't want to get into another arguement about the sturdiness of where neck and body meet but, suffice to say, I think it's rather important. I'm keeping an eye out for a second hand Carvin 6 to defret. I had one in mind on Chrisguitars but it got sold two days before I tried to put a deposit down. You'd get a regular one for about $500-$550. Might be worth an extra bit of saving?

Saving is not one of my strong points tbh. I'd like to get that one to try it but I may just try and get the cheaper 6 string for €200. Besides, if the all explodes, I'll have another project guitar to work on...

Sound logic there. Plus 6 strings isn't for everybody, it'd be a pain in the arse to get a 6 and then think "I should've got a 5"

Anyway, check this out

bassculturecustomFS.JPG
    bassculturecustomback.JPG

• Advertisement

Meh, if I don't like the 6 string, I can flog it to you :P

Hmm, funky. Looks like there's a piezo bridge on it to...

If I fall into a hole filled with money, I will get that guy to build me a fretless 6. That's from the guy who made the rosewood pickups. I dig his work man, I really do.

Buy the cheapo HB 6 string and get the frets pulled then filled with pieces of maple veneer. Not as nice as that one but meh, it's a fretless 6 string for €200.

Emmmmm... nah, think'll we'll call that Plan Z ;)

Hmm, 5 string fretless HB bass, €166..

Man, I really got start getting commission from EMG and HB!

I thought you had tired of the EMG sound?

Had I? I don't believe I have...

Although, I was playing a gorgeous Fender Showmaster with Seymour Duncans. Man, I want that guitar! It doesn't even feel like a Fender.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭daram

Showmasters are sweeeet. whatya mean it doesnt feel like a fender...

It felt nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭daram

you should try my strat

• Advertisement

Eh, ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I want a 5-string. Thinking Warwick Streamer. Chris has a couple of 4's for Eu650 each. I'm waiting for a 5. Any opinions on them while I wait? I love the style and the feel and the tone. Don't know anything about their durability or anything though.

I like the Warwicks, very nice.

Would you consider a Spector?

I think they just kick big, big ass. Dennis Pepa from Death Angel was playing one at the gig a few months back. He had ****ing sweet tone, was standing just in front of his 8x10, so got it straight from the amp. Really, really nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

That's nice alright. And in the price range too. I love the humbuckers and the really smooth neck/body joint.

Ask Feylya about EMG pickups ;)

The Spector shape and the Streamers aren't too far apart, especially the four strings. Rumour was, back in the day when I was a lad, that Warwick were licencing the design from Spector, though that could be total bull****.

I like EMGs.

Doc J, ebony fretboard, radiused and slotted for $32...

Where?

www.lmii.com

Needs to be fretted though but that's not a huge deal. Gonna start saving.

A thought occurs - sell the bass to fund the 7 string...

Advertisement