Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 Mod Warning Post #6378

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,283 ✭✭✭✭rob316

djPSB wrote: »
    Poyet had Sunderland very well set up imo.

Playing 3 at the back and sitting deep made life very difficult for SAS. Vergini was all over the shop which helped.

The early goal helped against Spurs and meant Spurs had to come at us. Also meant the crowd were in full voice from start to finish.

Sorry I forgot that part Poyet actually worked on how to stifle Liverpool and it worked fairly well but the personnel weren't good enough in the end. West Ham are a poor outfit, I would have no fear of them, hit them hard through the middle and we will be taking away 3 points.

I felt there was 2 big test lefts before yesterday,

Could we take advantage of our rivals, win and go top? - Passed
    Can we beat our title rival at home? - We don't know yet

If we can beat City the team will have every confidence to go on and beat Chelsea. There is a big difference between beating one of your rivals at home in a potential title decider and putting 4/5 past spineless teams like Arsenal and Spurs.

We gave a very good showing at the Ethiad and Stamford Bridge although we were beaten. We are a better team now and honestly I don't think Man City or Chelsea are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Grayditch wrote: »
    Watching the highlights again, Daniel Levy looks like Marc Almond, dressed as Dr. Evil, waiting on someone who is very late to a meeting.

So, there's that.

Gru.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Gru.

GRU.png

Ha. No offence to the guy, he's brilliant at what he does, but he's funny lookin' when he's upset.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

are we sharing the same scouts as BVB?
    Fabrizio Romano ‏@FabRomano21 2m No confirmation about bid of Liverpool for Mateo #Kovacic, until now. Inter refused offer from Borussia Dortmund on january #LFC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Agueroooo wrote: »

*Glares at Nuri*

Read that as AVB at first, and thought everyone was slipping since the article hadn't been posted.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Agueroooo wrote: »

Makes more sense that he moves in the summer, they signed Hernanes late in the day in January. Would be a good signing for us at a rumoured £8m bid. He's been dealt with badly this season by Mazzari who isn't that great of a manager imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I'm giving serious consideration to getting out of bed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Mickalus

From the BBC live sportsday thingy:
    Liverpool defender Glen Johnson, 29, will enter the final year of his contract next season but would like to extend his stay at Anfield.
    He said: "Of course I want to stay here. I've always said to Brendan (Rodgers) that I am loving it here and I want to be here for years to come. Hopefully, we can get something sorted this summer."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 307 ✭✭kildare75

Spent the guts of the last 24 hours watching the match thread, here and twitter trying to make sense of whats actually happening. And I still have no idea,
    still can't make sense of how we have gone from a mid-table team (which we have to admit we have been for 4 years) to title challengers in the blink of an eye.

Gonna ramble now so apologies :)

I'm one of the few here (I think) that can remember our glory days, watching Beardsley, Barnes, Aldridge , Houghton, McMahon terrorize teams on a regular basis.
    Hell I can even remember Johnston, Rush and king Kenny when they were at their prime when I was 9 watching us win the double, loving it when we marched over
    Europes and Englands best. Believing that we were indestructible, that no matter what we could win.

Can remember with great clarity the despair of THAT night at Anfield in '89 (will never forget Brian Moores commentary :( ), and the darkest days of Heysel and Hillsborough.

And a day that defined our last 24 years..the day Kenny resigned, the day he looked haunted, jaded, worn out, where the pressure of leading us,
    being our figurehead had taken it's toll, the day Liverpool had beaten it's King.

I've lived through the false dawns under both Houllier and Rafa, through the "Spice Boys" , the dogs of war, the day the club was taken to the brink of destruction
    by the cowboys, through the short reign of he who's name we should never speak. Spent 20+ years watching as my Utd supporting family and mates smugly grinned, gloated
    laughed at MY club and our fall. Watched Ferguson patronise us, lord over us for 24 years. Watched as Billionaires came in and bought titles while we struggled and
    through our own mismanagement fell behind, followed each bad decision with another.

Watched all this through ever cynical eyes thinking that at 9 I had seen the best this club would ever be, telling my kids about great Liverpool teams of the past and
    that was all I would have, that midtable was where we would stay.

Until now...until I heard the roar at the end of yesterdays game, a roar I thought I'd never hear at Anfield again (the Chelsea game in 05 came close).
    We gained something this season, something we've not had since that day 24 years ago, we've gained belief, found the voice we lost.
    Sure we had swagger under Evans but we were brittle, we had dogged determination under Houllier but no style, we had hope with Rafa but politics destroyed that and him.
    Kenny brought back the pride restored stablized the club, but Rodgers....he's made us believe,
    just as he's made Henderson, Sturridge, Flannagan, Skrtel believe in themselves.

Lloyd had a great post a few weeks back after Fulham, his "tables being turned" post. But it's much more than that,
    the look in Gerrards eye that night when he scored the winner was the moment when I started to think...maybe...just maybe.

Today I feel like I did as a 9 year old watching us win the double, I sit with my 8 yo daughter watching our games and
    in her I see the same belief, wonder and joy watching the Reds that I had back then.

Can we win? you're bloody right we can, will we? I don't care, I believe....

6 to go

Have to be honest , reading that post brought a few tears and a lump to the throat, as I can relate to every word of it...
    lets just finish the miracle now..YNWA:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,342 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Guardiola:
    "I'm happy Liverpool are coming back because they are awesome. It'll be good for the Champions League next season."

thank you Pep.

yes, we are indeed awesome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Nemesis

SlickRic wrote: »
    Guardiola:

thank you Pep.

yes, we are indeed awesome.

Pep your awesome!

He once said the only academy that could compare to la Masia is liverpool's, I hope he is right

• Registered Users Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Luap

It looks like Glen isn't in Rodgers plans.

• Advertisement

GTR63 wrote: »
    Makes more sense that he moves in the summer, they signed Hernanes late in the day in January. Would be a good signing for us at a rumoured £8m bid. He's been dealt with badly this season by Mazzari who isn't that great of a manager imo.

It would be ridiculous, he has every bit of the talent coutinho has, I would even rate him higher. Coutinho and kovacic in the same team reaching there potential is mouth watering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭sh__93

I've always liked Guardiola. I remember hearing a story about him (might have been on here) when he was on his "gap year" after Barca. A Liverpool fan was at some golf event (possibly the majors) in the states. The fan had a Liverpool flag and Guardiola happened to be there and when he seen the flag he said "Liverpool" and gave the fan a thumbs up.

The Liverpool fan then gave Pep a "Don't buy the Sun" sticker and Guardiola said "I understand" and put the sticker on.

Seems like a top bloke. Knows a bit or two about football also.

Edit: Was the Ryder Cup. Link to article

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Spent the guts of the last 24 hours watching the match thread, here and twitter trying to make sense of whats actually happening. And I still have no idea,
    still can't make sense of how we have gone from a mid-table team (which we have to admit we have been for 4 years) to title challengers in the blink of an eye.

I'm one of the few here (I think) that can remember our glory days, watching Beardsley, Barnes, Aldridge , Houghton, McMahon terrorize teams on a regular basis.
    Hell I can even remember Johnston, Rush and king Kenny when they were at their prime when I was 9 watching us win the double, loving it when we marched over
    Europes and Englands best. Believing that we were indestructible, that no matter what we could win.

Can remember with great clarity the despair of THAT night at Anfield in '89 (will never forget Brian Moores commentary :( ), and the darkest days of Heysel and Hillsborough.

And a day that defined our last 24 years..the day Kenny resigned, the day he looked haunted, jaded, worn out, where the pressure of leading us,
    being our figurehead had taken it's toll, the day Liverpool had beaten it's King.

I've lived through the false dawns under both Houllier and Rafa, through the "Spice Boys" , the dogs of war, the day the club was taken to the brink of destruction
    by the cowboys, through the short reign of he who's name we should never speak. Spent 20+ years watching as my Utd supporting family and mates smugly grinned, gloated
    laughed at MY club and our fall. Watched Ferguson patronise us, lord over us for 24 years. Watched as Billionaires came in and bought titles while we struggled and
    through our own mismanagement fell behind, followed each bad decision with another.

Watched all this through ever cynical eyes thinking that at 9 I had seen the best this club would ever be, telling my kids about great Liverpool teams of the past and

Until now...until I heard the roar at the end of yesterdays game, a roar I thought I'd never hear at Anfield again (the Chelsea game in 05 came close).
    We gained something this season, something we've not had since that day 24 years ago, we've gained belief, found the voice we lost.
    Sure we had swagger under Evans but we were brittle, we had dogged determination under Houllier but no style, we had hope with Rafa but politics destroyed that and him.
    Kenny brought back the pride restored stablized the club, but Rodgers....he's made us believe,
    just as he's made Henderson, Sturridge, Flannagan, Skrtel believe in themselves.

Lloyd had a great post a few weeks back after Fulham, his "tables being turned" post. But it's much more than that,
    the look in Gerrards eye that night when he scored the winner was the moment when I started to think...maybe...just maybe.

Today I feel like I did as a 9 year old watching us win the double, I sit with my 8 yo daughter watching our games and
    in her I see the same belief, wonder and joy watching the Reds that I had back then.

6 to go

Great post man, its as if you were picking everything from within my head and putting it to words.
    Im a Liverpool fan since i was 5 or so over 35 years ago now :)
    I brought my son to Anfield when he was 5 that was 6 years ago, since then i often apologised to him for encouraging him to support Liverpool when times were tough and all his school mates ran about with man u and chelsea jerseys.
    His response back then is the same as ever since
    "its okay Da Liverpool are in my heart now"
    I couldnt help but think have i sent a period of misery like Liverpool fans have endured the last 24 years the way of my son.

Oh how things can change so quickly :)
    Atleast this year we have something serious to shout about, who knows how long it may continue or if will lead to the holy grail.
    Meanwhile my son and I along with the hundreds of millions of Liverpool fans the world over are going to enjoy every bit of the current situation.

Some over on other teams threads refer to this as gloating, i refer to it as having something to shout about for a change.

YNWA!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

rob316 wrote: »
    Pep your awesome!

He once said the only academy that could compare to la Masia is liverpool's, I hope he is right

EVERYTHING is awesome!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

rob316 wrote: »
    Pep your awesome!

Pep is a gent. The anti-mourinho.

• Advertisement

djPSB wrote: »
    EVERYTHING is awesome!

I've had that goddamn song stuck in my head the past 2 days. I haven't even seen the movie.
    I blame this thread!

That being said, everything is quite awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    It's not down to Lucas that Gerrard was average to very poor for the first half the season, unable to string a few passes in a row and far too often opting for the Hollywood pass. Basic stuff at the very least he wasn't doing, and that's putting back the tracking back aside. You're right in saying Gerrard can't do the Henderson role though. But let's not forget Lucas, Henderson and Allen played very well at White Hart Lane and the Etihad Stadium too. Anyway, Gerrard's all round play has upped massively in the last 3 months though and long may it continue, but he was not without blame like one or two were making out back then or even the first half of last season too.

As for the bit about Lucas early in his career.... he was a kid coming in from Brazil who was renowned as an attacking midfielder and was being converted into a DM by Rafa. He had Alonso as the deep lying playmaker, Mascherano as the defensive midfielder and Gerrard as the attack midfielder is the best midfield I've seen at the club in my time supporting the club going back 20 years in front of him in the pecking order. A genuine top class midfield trio back then.
    i agree with you that gerrard was poor first half of the season but I'd put that down to him not having the legs to play regularly in that position. Our style of play and the amount of workrate we put in mean its a young mans game. The two CB's and the DM are the 3 outfield positions that will suit an older player in our team.
    I also agree that 09 midfield trio was as good a midfield combination as we ever had. I like lucas I just think he is a level below what we require for a regular starter and I couldnt see him getting into the city/chelsea or arsenal midfield.
    Also as another poster mentioned lucas will be a great option to have around next year as with cl we cant expect gerrard to start all games.
    Devilman great post summed up my thoughts aswell. That 1989 arsenal game was a killer the only time Ive cried watching a football game. I was in 6th class back then got some stick the following monday it was a friday night game I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Has the video even been posted yet? Just in case....

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Bray Header

Liverpool fans sing to Brendan Rodgers as he drives by a boozer after the game..nice Jammer BR!

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/video-liverpool-fc-fans-cheer-6897976

On another note, a frined of mine posted a pic of him and BR when he was at Swansea..good Lord, he had an awful set of delf!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

6 to go

Great post Devilman40k .

I can remember even before that , it's been a long time coming .
    The team are playing so well , tough ask to win all the games , but having said that . if you want to be champions , you got to be the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,875 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Has the video even been posted yet? Just in case....

lego1.jpglego2.jpg

Gary Neville on choosing City or Liverpool to take the title is like - "It's like having a choice between two blokes to nick your wife."

Hahaha. Anyone hear Gary Neville on MNF there? I despised the man as a footballer but he's completely won me over as a pundit.

Awh, Ade beat me to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Gary Neville: Choosing City or Liverpool to take the title is like ' choosing which bloke nicks your wife'

Was it 'nick' or 'hit' he said?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

I had to go back and watch that again, Neville in fairness in top notch as a pundit.

• Advertisement

They should probably put him on La Liga coverage so he doesn't have to dance around any criticisms of English players.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

kfallon wrote: »
    Was it 'nick' or 'hit' he said?

Lol I wish it had been 'hit' :pac:

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    That would be nice.

Pulis has done an absolutely tremendous job there. He doesn't get near the credit for it though due to his style of play, etc.

Absolutely, I said it on the 'signing of the season' thread that if he keeps them up he will have been the signing of the season. Although if Martinez gets Everton into the Champions League i may have to reconsider...

He quite obviously knows how to drill a team in the art of defending

I didn't give them a hope earlier, it's been some turnaround.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Sorry if this has been done before, dont venture here too much lately. Too much positivity for my liking:p

Just a question

If ye win the league this season would that be bigger then winning the CL in 05 to you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭wcarey1975

Sorry if this has been done before, dont venture here too much lately. Too much positivity for my liking:p

Just a question

If ye win the league this season would that be bigger then winning the CL in 05 to you?

Matter of opinion I suppose but I'd have to say yes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Just a question

Yes.

Especially with the year, and of course maybe Stevie's last chance.

Yes from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

Just a question

Honestly yes. One offs over the years have been great but to be the best team over a season. To earn that... It would be bloody awesome!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭dzer2

Just a question

Nah sure anyone can win the league just look at the last champions:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Just a question

05 was amazing and I'll always remember it but if we win the league this year it will definitely be a bigger deal for me.

gafferino wrote: »
    An interesting point made by Ken Early (Rodgers new number 1 fan).

During his Sky Sports punditry debut last week, Paul Scholes was withering about Jack Wilshere’s lack of development since he burst on the scene five years ago. “He doesn’t look any better player now than he did when he was 17. He needs people like Vieira, characters like that, to take him on to the next level. Characters and leaders are important.”

Keep Scholes’s logic in mind when assessing progress made by Liverpool players like Raheem Sterling, Daniel Sturridge, Jordan Henderson and Philippe Coutinho. They are reaping the benefit of playing alongside the most impressive model of competitive ferocity in the game.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/flawed-but-inspirational-suarez-in-vanguard-of-liverpool-s-impressive-title-challenge-1.1744580?page=1

I assume this is in relation to Suarez?

It's funny I was just thinking along the same lines today - how much has Suarez's spirit rubbed off on other players?

I love that phrase 'competitive ferocity' - I described it in the match the thread as hunger, appetite, application, intensity, but that's a far better way of putting it.

That, perhaps more than anything, has got me believing we can do it.

First it was just Suarez, maybe Gerrard.

Then Skrtel showed signs of it. Henderson always had the workrate but the attitude to man up, take responsibility and really fight has grown in him.

Sterling, Coutinho, Flanagan the young lads have all grown hugely in that respect.

It's like a virus that has spread in the team - you see it in one and it spreads to the other. You see your teammate working his bollocks off and it inspires you. You see Flanagan putting in that tackle on Soldado and you think 'I better show the same kind of bravery and dedication in my next tackle'.
    There is a an unbelievable sense of comradeship in this team - the application, the dedication was hugely impressive.

On Sunday I saw that winning spirit, that absolute intensity to fight in all eleven players.

The mental aspect cannot be ignored in football and especially a title challenge and it looks like every single player in up for it.

I was wondering how much Suarez had a bearing on that (and I'm seemingly not the only one).

If we do manage to hang on to him long term then he an absolute shoe-in to one day replace Gerrard as captain of this club

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Just a question

Yes. The CL was absolutely amazing, but given the nature of the league it would be an immense achievement IF we win it. There is also the old Shankly quote about the league being our bread and butter that applies as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

A big fat yes from me. I dont think I'd be able to contain my emotions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,372 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

A warning from big Andy for next weekend. Towering header from a corner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Don't let them have a corner :)

• Advertisement

A warning from big Andy for next weekend. Towering header from a corner.

I hope Rodgers is at the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Devilman thats a brilliant post, i can relate to that alot

Yeah, absolutely, there are few more 70s/80s kids than you might think too! In 2009 I felt we were rank outsiders, I didn't think we really could win it, this year I think we can win it, not will, but certainly have it in our locker to win these 6 games.

We are in the mix at the business end of proceedings, long may it last.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,372 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Well Cattermole just missed a sitter so at least West Ham are conceding chances.

With the remaining games, if there was one game Sakho should start, it's against West Ham.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Just a question

Without a doubt.

For me, cups games and trophies are the dessert but the league is the main course. As Devilman 40k said, to be the best over 38 games is a great achievement.

@Devilman 40k - Great post on the wait for the title. Just one thing...GET OUT OF MY HEAD, stealing my thoughts like that:o

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement