Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 Mod request post#5808

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

OK lets score up the transfer window out of 10.

for me its a 7

Could have gone either way in the end but a good mix of experience and youth.
    We we will need more than one of the 'prospect' signings to play out of their skin for us to break into the top4.

I do not think the top4 is any closer than when we finished last season, and the reason's are a mix of internal and external factors - us still being a team that's learning, new and building, plus the fact that those around us battling for those CL spots have also strengthened considerably.

Its critical that Jan window should not be seen as a 'top up' but as an integral part of our rebuild and I hoping the scouts are out working today with that in mind, and funds available to reflect the managers desire...no more begging via the media.

summary:
    could have been worse - could have been better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

Grayditch wrote: »
    That's a thin midfield alright. I'd like us to get a creative midfielder and a defensive one in January. Then we've a solid squad, I think.

i think we are ok with att mids but we could do with a defensive mid and maybe a striker in january

if we are there or thereabouts in january maybe we could convince mash to come back if his game time gets less. plus try to bring in a striker that can challenge for a first team spot. id like us to try get someone that will force Dani to be benched. nothing against sturridge because he is amazing so far but we need to be signing better players than what we have. not players that will be back up. use the current players as back up. force gerrard out of the team. thats what we need competition for places. thats what happened reina he never had competition

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Sure. ;)

I think it's a bad situation he's going into right now. They've had a poor window overall and you'd wonder about Altidore (one of my fav players mind), O' Shea and others - i.e. they are depending on players who may not be up to producing a good Premiership season. The manager being mad as a bag of spiders doesn't exactly help either.

I'm not sure what is supposed to mean? Being at a club in a relegation battle brings its own monumental pressure. So just because Borini is making a "step down", that doesn't mean things are going to get any easier for him.

As for Di Canio, he'll be gone by Christmas IMO.

As an aside, all this stuff about dropping Agger, not for me I'm afraid. I'm actually taken aback at how willing some people are to cast a man aside who has been a model of professionalism, loyalty and class on and off the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,399 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

noodler wrote: »
    Based on their last goalscoring season pre-Liverpool, I'd be more confident in Aspas than Borini.

I sincerely doubt we will take Borini back - I'd say his days are numbered at Liverpool.

Offloading Sterling would be the wrong call imo. - he has shown, albeit fleetingly, that he can be effective at this level. I have serious doubts that Alberto is even a top 10 premiership player (whataver that means!).

The sooner Aspas breaks his duck the better.

I don't mean ditch him long term, but he looks a player that could do with a loan spell at a lower level to me. It's been a long time since he turned in those few promising displays at the start of last season.

It may be a case of the club wanting to keep him close due to his colourful personal issues...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

noodler wrote: »
    Based on their last goalscoring season pre-Liverpool, I'd be more confident in Aspas than Borini.

I sincerely doubt we will take Borini back - I'd say his days are numbered at Liverpool.

Offloading Sterling would be the wrong call imo. - he has shown, albeit fleetingly, that he can be effective at this level. I have serious doubts that Alberto is even a top 10 premiership player (whataver that means!).

The sooner Aspas breaks his duck the better.

Have hopes for Alberto , hes young , needs time , time will tell .

Aspas should get as much game time as possible in cup runs too , get him some confidence and a goal or two .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭Cartman78

I notice a lot of the proposed line-ups have Suarez leading the line and Sturridge stuck out on the wing :confused:

Given the impact Sturridge is having and the confidence obviously flowing through him in his current role, would it not make more sense to leave him there and have Suarez floating about in the final third pulling the strings, creating havoc etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Paulegend wrote: »
    if lucas does suffer i think toure will step in. at least we will have cover for toure in defence aswell. i wonder where brendan will use ilori though. i do think he will be a squad player for now but im interested to see will he take advantage of the pace by maybe using him as a wing back?? or will he bide his time for a center back role

at least we can field a second string side for the cup games now(the team you mentioned)

Jones
    Kelly---Skrtel---Agger---Cisokho
    Hendo---Allen
    Alberto
    Ibe
    Sterling
    Aspas

id be more than happy with them playing the cup games. even throw ilori in at the back somewhere instead of anyone injured(cisokho)

but suarez will obviously play our next cup game as he needs match practice and his been rested enough:rolleyes:

Well our next cup game will require a full strength starting XI if we want to get anything out of it. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭IK09

What if Sturudge gets injured?

Either Moses or Suarez go up top, or even Aspas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Agueroooo wrote: »
    I do not think the top4 is any closer than when we finished last season,

Do you mean that you don't think we have a better chance at top four this season than we did last, or that we havent improved on our form or squad that we finished with at the end of last season?

I have to say I think we are a lot more decent looking than this time last year and I think we're even a little better than what we were second half of last season.

Top 4 would take serious graft from the squad we have now to keep up the top of the table til January, but some rough fixtures for us in the second half of the season, means we need Jan signings .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,399 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I'm not sure what is supposed to mean? Being at a club in a relegation battle brings its own monumental pressure. So just because Borini is making a "step down", that doesn't mean things are going to get any easier for him.

As for Di Canio, he'll be gone by Christmas IMO..

It means I think he'll struggle at Sunderland.
    As an aside, all this stuff about dropping Agger, not for me I'm afraid. I'm actually taken aback at how willing some people are to cast a man aside who has been a model of professionalism, loyalty and class on and off the pitch.

Reina

Kelly
    Kyrgiakos---Agger
    Aurelio

Spearing---Lucas

Kuyt
    Gerrard
    Downing

Babel

This could be your starting 11 for our next match if that was your sole criteria for squad building. Agger wouldn't be the first player cast aside on considerations of ability alone.

• Advertisement

I'm not going to get romantic about Agger's tattooes. I love the guy, but this is football, not superfriends. IF and when he's underperforming, Liverpool are underperforming. We should play our best squad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Kess73 wrote: »
    Well our next cup game will require a full strength starting XI if we want to get anything out of it. :)

Nah, Moyes will play the kids, Utd usually do in the League Cup until the quarters ;)

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Am I right in saying Skrtel can still be sold to a Russian side?

Not after Sunday ;)

for me its a 7

Could have gone either way in the end but a good mix of experience and youth, but we will need more than one of the 'prospect' signings to play out of their skin for us to break into the top4.

I do not think the top4 is any closer than when we finished last season, and the reason's are a mix of internal and external factors - us still being a team that's learning, new and building, plus the fact that those around us battling for those CL spots have also strengthened considerably.

Its critical that Jan window should not be seen as a 'top up' but as an integral part of our rebuild and I hoping the scouts are out working today with that in mind, and funds available to reflect the managers desire...no more begging via the media.

summary:
    could have been worse - could have been better.

Aspas - has looked like a tricky player. i think he will be very much like yossi was for us. i dont think he will score loads of goals but he will be a handful for most oppositions and when suarez is in the team it will give him more space. with both of them and suarez up front that is bound to open up deep tight defenses. considering where he played before this he looks like a talent. im pleasantly surprised.

Alberto - potential. has looked confident but he hasnt played enough to be judged. he will be in the resie team this year and more a squad player who will probably play the cup games. in the little bit i seen of him he does remind me of a slight variation of Garcia with his touches. tidy player.

Toure - has done more than impress us all. the man has been a beast and is quickly becoming a fan favourite. we got him in on a free and we all though it was a bad sign of a summer to come. but he has been brilliant in defence and exactly the type of leadership we need back there. for me if agger did leave he would be the vice captain

Ilori - potenial also. he will also be on the fringe we'd assume but he aparantly has pace strenght and is good with the ball and in the air. he sounds like an all rounder but im sure alot of it is over hype. if he can be half as good as he is talked up as then we will have a great player on our hands

Sakho - great player. bit nuts but feck it. he is strong and has a bit of pace. cant pass to save his life but as long as he plays beside someone who can play ball he will be grand. maybe its why people have said they would like him beside agger but two left footers?? although right footers often play left side so i dont see why left footers can play right side. i still think ilori and sakho might be teh partnership 3 or 4 years from now

Moses - fast player with a bit a strenght about him. if anything he gives sterling more time to improve his game before we use him as a regular starter. if he does well we can finish in the top 4. we wont have an option on him but it wont matter because we can attract someone better withy champions league. moses is purely here to get first team and we only want him to help us get to 4th. a mutual affair that both sides get what they want

Cisokho - we where after him before. was suppose to be the next big thing a couple years ago but failed to impress in spain due to injuries and just bad luck. hopefully this is his last injury here and he can shake off the cobwebs and get some game time. if he plays i think he'll do well but i fear we have another Aurellio on our hands though. at least we have him on loan so we can take our time deciding if we want to keep him

Mignolet - has been brilliant. pulled off some lovely saves already and saved us 2 points on the opening day thanks to agger:D after a nervy opening game he looks comfortable and has replaced the imo overcomfortable reina

listen we spend 45+ million or so. i dont know how much net and i dont care. we spent 'x' amount. for that we could have bought a lot of players who went to clubs for less than that this summer. but we had a weak squad. our bench was a joke. we had no second string. last season we had 16 year olds playing. we had to sign a few players. we could only afford 'x' amount and we could only attract what we could. mhky and costa prove that. yes it could have been a better window if we had more to spend but i do think trhe palyers we signed are players we wont be trying to ofload this time next year(bar the loans)

7/10 - because it was a near perfect window for what we needed. the players might end up being better or worse than expected but in terms of getting what we needed it was near perfect. may a striker and a def mid would push it to 10/10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

for me its a 7.

8/10 for me.
    Defence looks much stronger on paper now. With Suarez coming back and the addition of Moses I have litte concerns up front. Lot depends on Gerrard in midfield still imo.
    We should be far better equipped to break down "lesser" teams going forward and look solid at the back.
    It could have went better but we lost out on a number of targets as better options came in for them.

Oh and I do think the owners stepped up particualrly compared to some other teams. Utd almost had a disaster and their window was a bit farcical - not sure Fellini is the answer to their problems. Arsenal got one fantastic addition but really blew it overall considering the money they apparently had to spend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

Does anyone know anything about the brazilian Fernando at Porto? Would he be a good shout for DM / competition for Lucas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Hodgson is apparently trying to get Ilori to play for England
    can't understand why Sterling was called up to the England for the games this week either
    he is gettin rewarded too quickly whivh could hamper his development

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,708 ✭✭✭Speak Now

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=306920.0;attach=246711;image

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Looking at a little compilation of our best 25 goals of last season, and they were all about Sturridge, Suarez, Gerrard, Hendo and Coutinho. All of our back 4 showed up at some stages, and cameos from Sterling and Downing.

I suspect the same this season - Sturridge, Suarez, Gerrard, Hendo and Coutinho. Add in Moses/Aspas, and an improved keeper and CB options, and we have a solid team that is capable of making and taking a lot of chances. We have limited distractions, only domestic cups, so there is no excuse for resting players too often and losing our momentum.

Come January, we will have money to spend, very little dead wood to remove, and we'll know what we need to push on - maybe another scoring option, maybe a stronger CM, or maybe nothing at all...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Good to see velour is back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Jason Todd wrote: »
    Does anyone know anything about the brazilian Fernando at Porto? Would he be a good shout for DM / competition for Lucas?

A few on here rated him highly in the past. From the games I saw him play in, he does look a good player albeit maybe one that might not appeal to the way Rodgers seems to set up a midfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭leposean

Anyone got any idea of Moses and Sakho's squad numbers?

I've been a huge Sakho fan for years, bought him in every football manager save I've ever had haha. Want him on my jersey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

In isolation, this transfer window is a 6 or 7 for me. Take into account what our competitors did and it as an opportunity for us to really take strides toward top 4, it's a 5. I think the first 11 is looking good but we're still lacking in a couple of key areas in my opinion.

Mignolet

Johnson---Sakho----Agger---Enrique

Lucas
    Gerrard
    Suarez
    Coutinho
    Moses
    Sturridge

This would be my first 11 with Suarez/Moses/Coutinho all interchanging throughout.

I'm not quite sure what Rodgers plans are with CB, but I'm not quite buying into the Toure love (although he has done well), but some of his defending against Villa was frankly bizzare and a little all over the shop. That said, I do like him but Agger is still our best defender for me (Sakho is yet to kick a ball for us, and I don't know enough about him previously to comment). However, I'm not sure how substantial an issue it could potentially be for us to play 2 left sided CBs?

It's when we get to backup players we fall short in comparrison to our rivals imo (defence we're hot to trot, but goalkeeper, midfield & up front for me we're lacking imo).

Available backup players off the top of my head:

-Jones
    -Skrtel
    -Toure
    -Llori
    -Kelly
    -Cissokho
    -Henderson
    -Allen
    -Sterling
    -Alberto
    -Aspas

Any sort of substantial injury to the following players Mignolet/Lucas/Gerrard/Suarez/Sturridge and any slim chance of top 4 for me is gone.

Kess73 wrote: »

i agree kinda. we have southamopton at home the saturday before it (the game will be midweek) and then sunderland away on sunday evening.

now while id love us to throw a full strenght side out to beat united id prefer 6 points from those two games.

by my estimations(the 60+ goals not included;)) we need around 70 points to finish 4th. that is going back to the start of the 20 team format. its sometimes 72 73 but it could also be 65 68 etc so around 70 is the aim?

so that is 23 wins and 1 draw = 70 points.

we have 3 wins. if we get the two against southampton and sunderland thats 5 wins leaving only 18 to go. surely that has to be our aim instead of the cup that they slag us of for winning under kenny

i think we can afford to swap our defence in the game

Glen---Toure---Sakho---Erique

for

Kelly---Skrtel---Agger---ilori its tsill a pretty good defence

our midfield is shakey yes but id rest gerrard anyway and maybe even coutinho.

Gerrard---Lucas
    Coutinho

for

Hendo---Allen
    Alberto

maybe luacs should play as he would provide cover for the back but if we could get anyone else to cover the role for that game we should rest our first teamers. maybe sakho will be still getting use to the team or ilori could play there.

up front we will have moses still getting use to the team we will have sterling crying out for a game and we have suarez freshly coming back into the set up

--Moses
    Aspas
    Sturridge

for

--Moses
    Sterling
    Suarez

i think for this game we can use a strong line up but rest some players such as lucas gerrard sturridge toure if possible. lets protect the core of the team so we can get the 20 more wins we need to get 4th place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Honestly think Aspas has gotten himself into some great positions but sturridge has been very greedy in some poor positions taking shots which had little to no chance of going in rather than squaring the ball across the box

Honestly think Aspas has gotten himself into some great positions but sturridge has been very greedy in some poor positions taking shots which had little to no chance of going in rather than squaring the ball across the box

I have to agree. Aspas should probably have a goal by now which would help him.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

wtf you on about???

cringe worthy stuff??

you are either really young or just are blinded by your not wanting to agree with someone else's opinion that isnt of the norm

as i said a billion times. i think Ozil is a great signing and a great player. i think he will go on to be player of the year material. i do think he will be a success.

but i also said that better players have failed to live up to their name. Kaka Shevechenko Torres Ronaldinho and Etoo(their moves to italy. albeit etoo second season was impressive). you also had veron Wiltord Aquillini Cissee. all players who came with huge names to their clubs and failed to live up to the hype

i was told that a player that plays for the worlds biggest club(arguablly) and plays for teh german national team cant fail

i said Kaka played for one of the biggest teams in europe and the brazilian nationla team and he failed at madrid. to the degree he left on a free transfer yesterday.......................

how is what im saying in any way cringeworthy or stupid??? to disagree with me your doing it for the sake of it!!!! im merely pointing out the fact that big transfers dont always "HAVE to work out"

0_o

Derp. I have no problem with someone having the minority opinion so long as they aren't trolling or being abusive, they also need to be able to see both sides of the coin.

Cheers for basically calling me really young (I wish) and blind though. Appreciate that.

As for Ozil. You're comparing Ozil, a player who is 24 years old and is still a couple of years of being arguably at his peak.. with players who've peaked already.

Given your posts in general in the Arsenal thread, I wouldn't give you the benefit of even trolling tbf. I actually like posting in other teams thread without the need of being abused of who I support because of potentially how people view one of my so called fellow supporters.
    Nuri Sahin - @ Paulegend, please stop posting drivel in the Arsenal thread especially regarding Ozil. Cringe worthy stuff.

surely i have the right to retort to someone trying to talk down to me and look like the big man.

seems to be this on going group mentality on here these days

It's a conspiracy, a conspiracy I tells ya!
    Grayditch wrote: »
    I was gonna pop into the Arsenal thread and congratulate them on Ozil, but between some of them targeting Suarez in January, and the others spitting bile at Liverpool thanks to Paulegend, I'll leave them to it.

Bingo.

They're far from sorted and I don't agree they're challengers all of a sudden, sure they've had two top class players before in recent years in Cesc and Van Persie and didn't achieve anything. It's a topic for their thread if anything so I'll stop there. But credit to them, they finally found the wallet and spent big on genuine class.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I'm reasonably happy with the transfer window provided we get a motivated version of Luis Suarez back, which I think we will. It has been a stellar success but we are in a better place than we were 12 months ago, both player wise and start to the league. We need to get around 1.75ppg from here on in to get to the 70 point mark I felt we needed to get close to in order to sufficiently progress. The target should be higher obviously, although I think stating we will get more than that is a bit fanciful just yet. All the relative sweetness and light can disappear quickly after a couple of bad results, but hopefully there is enough determination about the club this year to not let setbacks affect them too much.

The next 6 games might be easier on paper, but they are certainly not easy. If we are on 20 points from the first 9 games I think that will be good, and not an unreasonable ask either at this point.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭viper006

Ya i have noticed this myself. If Sturridge has squared the ball to him he could have had 1 or 2 goals.Having said that though i still thought he was poor vs villa and utd. He just wasnt getting involved in either match and Gave a away some stupid free kicks and got booked in both games as well. BR has thrown him into the deep end so he has big learning curve in fairness to Aspas, just hope he adapts quickly as its clear BR sees him having a large role to play this season

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement