Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting on well with this healthy eating malarkey - but what could I do better?

Options
  • 22-06-2014 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭

So just over a month ago, I realised my diet and lifestyle needed a massive kick up the arse. I have always been fairly healthy, but since the start of the year I had basically been lurching from one carb binge to another ("Sandwich for lunch? Don't mind if I do. Giant bowl of pasta for dinner? Certainly!"), eating out a lot, having two or three takeaways a week, going to the pub a couple of times a week and barely eating any vegetables. Unsurprisingly I put on weight, felt tired all the time, sluggish, cranky, and just not like myself.

Over the past few weeks, I've cut out bread, pasta, alcohol and takeaways, and feel about a million times better. One of the big problems was that when I got hungry, I would eat anything I could lay my hands on, so instead I've been planning my meals and haven't been getting hungry. I've also started going to classes at my gym, which suit me way better than just going to the gym and doing my usual routine.

My goal is to lose weight and so far, I've lost an average of 1.6 pounds per week. I'm just over 12 stone and I've set targets for myself, but have kept them small and manageable (there's no time target on them but they're all about losing 7lbs in increments, or getting down to a certain weight).

So given all that (thanks if you're still reading!), does anyone have any tips or advice on things I could be doing better in my diet? I'd like to be losing a bit more per week, but realistically I know that 1.6lbs per week is solid and is sustainable. I guess reading the forum and seeing people talking about losing a stone in a month has made me feel like a bit of an underachiever!

Here's a couple of typical days:

Breakfast: Porridge with banana and a bit of honey
    Lunch: Ryvita x 3 with peanut butter and banana
    Dinner: Chicken fillet, spinach with feta, cauliflower and carrots
    Snacks: Grapes x 10, almonds x 5, apple, satsuma (hmm, that's a lot when I put it all down!).

Breakfast: Porridge with banana and a bit of honey
    Lunch: 3-egg omelette with mushrooms
    Dinner: Roast turkey with spinach, broccoli, carrots.
    Snacks: Satsuma x 3.

Also, I generally do two cardio classes (spinning and swimming) per week and one strength (TRX). I also cycle into work but it's only 10 minutes so don't think that really counts (damnit).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

It sounds like you're doing great - 1.6 pounds per week is brilliant, *and* your mood is better, and you know what you're doing is sustainable.

One thing: I used to cycle a little under 10 minutes to work too. I started to walk instead - it takes 18 minutes for me to walk briskly to work and really sets me up for the day, and it deffo burns more calories than cycling. (I'm certainly less stressed not being part of traffic in the morning - I didn't realize how bummed out it made me till I stopped).

Advertisement