Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Coconut flour

Options
  • 27-05-2014 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭

I bought a big bag of it and would love some irish recipes. All the ones I find online mostly call for American ingredients :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭LCD

Where did you get it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i dont think dessicated coconut is coconut flour.. although maybe it's just a terminology thing

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tiana-Organic-Fairtrade-Coconut-Flour/dp/B0054SQ5UW/ref=pd_sim_grocery_10?ie=UTF8&refRID=02453E6DDFTYPHHRPD4X
    is the stuff I have, picked it up in a health food shop in carlow. i dont use it much as I wasn't able to quickly or easily figure out a way to make a staple out of it. I mainly just throw a bit into my oatmeal to turn it into a more redybrek style meal w/ added fibre.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭rustyzip

i dont think dessicated coconut is coconut flour.. although maybe it's just a terminology thing

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tiana-Organic-Fairtrade-Coconut-Flour/dp/B0054SQ5UW/ref=pd_sim_grocery_10?ie=UTF8&refRID=02453E6DDFTYPHHRPD4X
    is the stuff I have, picked it up in a health food shop in carlow. i dont use it much as I wasn't able to quickly or easily figure out a way to make a staple out of it. I mainly just throw a bit into my oatmeal to turn it into a more redybrek style meal w/ added fibre.

Used wrong link, changed it there.
    Adding to porridge, that's an idea!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

oh crap i said oatmeal, i always do that. i meant oatbran :)

i actually have porridge, i might try that as well. the oat bran is runnier though so it comes out far more redybreak-ish. i think the size of the flakes in oatmeal might stop that happening unless you heat the absolute living **** out of them.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

I've made pizza bases, muffins and banana bread with it. There are recipes out there, they just use cups instead of grams/oz but I bought a cup measuring set in Homestore and More (think they had them in Lidl not so long ago too), makes making American recipes so much easier. Can't say I found many recipes I couldn't do myself after that.

Coconut flour absorbs so much liquid. E.g. for a pizza base, I used something like 5 eggs and 1/2 cup coconut flour, and it was still dry, so you can't use it in the same way as normal flour.

I loved the muffins and breads with it though, they were light yet moist too.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭katie21

jenizzle wrote: »
    I've made pizza bases, muffins and banana bread with it. There are recipes out there, they just use cups instead of grams/oz but I bought a cup measuring set in Homestore and More (think they had them in Lidl not so long ago too), makes making American recipes so much easier. Can't say I found many recipes I couldn't do myself after that.

Coconut flour absorbs so much liquid. E.g. for a pizza base, I used something like 5 eggs and 1/2 cup coconut flour, and it was still dry, so you can't use it in the same way as normal flour.

I loved the muffins and breads with it though, they were light yet moist too.

Hi Jenizzle could you please send me the recipe you used for the pizza base using coconut flour that would be great :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I haven't made muffins in a while, but the recipe was roughly ...
    3 tablespoons coconut flour
    3 eggs
    400g natural yogurt
    1 peeled diced apple
    2 tbsp maple syrup or honey
    loads of cinnamon and raisins to taste
    nearly half a tablespoon of bread soda
    if we have chia or milled flaxseeds lying around the place i put a tablespoon of each in but they're not really necessary

mix eggs & flour first then lump in the rest

10-15 mins 180c, should make 16

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

this might be a stupid question, but I saw coconut flour in the asian market the other day and was intrigued but didn't buy it because I thought it would be "coconutty" does it have a coconut flavour off it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I saw this recipe for Chicken Fingers the other day when lovindublin.com was in the news:
    http://lovindublin.com/recipes/indias-clean-chicken-fingers/
    Ingredients

2 Chicken Breasts
    1/2 Cup of Ground Almonds
    1/4 Cup of Coconut Flour
    Paprika/Dried Herbs (Optional)
    Salt
    1 Egg

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

this might be a stupid question, but I saw coconut flour in the asian market the other day...

Asian shops tend to have the full fat flour, which is more like a very finely dessicated coconut for curry dishes. The health food shops tend to have the fat reduced flour which is intended to be a replacement for wheat flour.

Advertisement