Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite ways of cooking broccoli

Options
  • 18-06-2014 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭

I've never been a big fan of broccoli, but really need to start eating more of it (and other green veg).

I've only ever had it when it's been boiled until limp. What's your favourite way of cooking broccoli? Or any other green vegetables.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Steam it for 4-5 mins until it just turns a darker green and is still crunchy. Its delicious, at this point you can just eat it or add it to stir frys etc It also reheats well when it hasn't been boiled to death.

If you want to get more veg into your diet the lidl "gourmet" frozen veg has a lot of variety and will cut down prep time. I've been eating bags of the stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 17,498 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

General guideline for most green veg I cook is to parboil for 2-3 mins in a covered pot, remove water and add in a slab of butter. Some salt, pepper and whatever spices that suit the rest of the meal, a decent stir and serve.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Whatever way the chinese takeaways do it is what I prefer. Same with mushrooms, I despise most mushrooms but like the ones from most chinese places.

And I don't think its simply down to MSG before someone says it!

You could mix it in with other veg to make soup, or a curry, I find both disguise things well.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Fry gently in butter and dress on plate with good olive oil and nice sea salt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

after its cooked and cooled it works in a salad.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭nosietoes

I like it boiled or steamed till still crunchy then tossed with hazelnuts, lemon zest, salt and olive oil.

If you get tender stemmed broccoli, it's wonderful grilled amd tossed in melted butter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

I've cooked it in the microwave with a small drop of water for 5-6 minutes

Tasted alright to me anyhow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Steamed or boiled for a few minutes until still crisp. Sqeeze half a lemon over, grind a bit of pepper, throw some good salt on it, consume. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Last night I steamed some then made a cheese sauce with mustard and cayenne pepper and baked it in the oven for 30 mins. Nom nom!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

steam all the way

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Lyssa

Raw, in a salad. Recipe from Avoca Handweavers salad recipe book.. it is amazingly good! :)

RECIPE

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭cuculainn

add to Stir fry

• Registered Users Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Try it as a juice. In a juicer along with apple, cucumber, cale, celery, and kiwi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

I love broccoli, and eat it alot. I put it in lasagnes, pasta bakes, pies and curries. Sometimes I parboil it, then fry it with some garlic, parboiled juilenned carrots and soy sauce. It is similar to what the Chinese does.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Raw, in a salad. Recipe from Avoca Handweavers salad recipe book.. it is amazingly good! :)

RECIPE
    The last time I ate this salad I had the most horrendous stomach cramps for about 10 hours. I thought avoca cooked the broccoli very slightly. I didn't get it in avoca that time but I had previously and never had a problem with theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭biomed32

Lightly stir-fried with bok choi, cashew nuts, some mixed seeds (pumpkin/sunflower), dried chili, black pepper and a little vegtable stock (I dont use oil)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Mimojo

Im a big fan of this Paleo Curried Cream of Broccoli Soup. Really quick and easy to make, and if I have leftovers it can be frozen. Have also thrown left over chicken or turkey in and its a whole meal, or thrown in some brown rice for something more filling pre or post workout

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/2345953636/curried-cream-of-broccoli-soup

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

naughtb4 wrote: »

Until we found this we rarely ate broccoli and could only really chug it after mashing it with a LOT of butter and cheese to disguise the taste - not such a bad thing really but still found myself trying to eat it rather than wanting to.

I cook each days lunch the in the eves and if the oven is on we do this. The broccoli NEVER makes it through the night - I found Mrs RobAMerc eating it as a bed time snack ( before brushing here teeth thank god ) and having it as her breaky ffs !

Totally delicious - its actually hard to believe broccoli can taste this good !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭allym

Thanks for all the replies!

Lots of options to try!

Advertisement