Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kefir Grains

Options
  • 16-06-2014 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have kefir grains in a jar here and I find myself covering them in milk for 48hours, then strained the milk (yoghurt) and putting it into the fridge with the intention of using it, but it always goes in the bin and I end up repeating the same process.

Sometimes I eat the yoghurt, other times I don't. Seems like I'm wasting an awful lot of milk though.

Is there any way of preserving the grains without having to change the milk every 2/3 days?

Kefir grains are so difficult to come by I really don't want to throw them in the bin!

Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭marizpan

You can dry the grains between kitchen paper and then freeze them.
    This method is good for 3 mths but I am unsure if they will survive longer. I guess you could always experiment.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭dragonkin

You can put them in the fridge you won't need to change the milk as much you could probably get away with once a week. Not too sure how long they will last like that however.

Advertisement