Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A simple auld salad

Options
  • 17-06-2014 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭

What do you put in your salad?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Mustard and thousand island dressing. Maybe some other type of dressing, for the craic. Just a little to keep it interesting.

And salad.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭WhiteWalls

And what salad would that be? Are you any relation to Pat Mustard?

I'm his father actually.

As regards the salad, maybe cherry tomatoes, spinach, tuna/chicken/ham, sometimes onion, sometimes beetroot. Maybe some cheese.

Salads can get repetitive if you don't vary them by adding garnishes and dressings. Not too much dressing, as some of them are calorie dense.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

+1 for D'Unbelievables reference

Chicken, Ham, Shredded Cabbage, Beetroot, cheese, cucumber, boiled eggs etc

And a bottle of orange... iifym

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I like my salads to have lots of colour, I'm not into too much dressing except a little mayo or salad cream or some sweetish dressing. A good salad dinner for me would have:

Lettuce (green and red)
    Tomato, quartered
    Any number of coloured peppers, sliced,
    Hard boiled egg, quartered
    Home made potato salad (tons)
    Home made coleslaw (tons)
    Cucumber, sliced
    Ribbons of carrot
    Sweetcorn
    Beetroot (in blackcurrant or raspberry jelly, makes it sweet)
    Any meat, ham, chicken, or sometimes a little salmon)
    Red onion, sliced
    Any fruit I have around, grapes, apple etc.
    Spring onions, sliced finely and sprinkled over the lot.
    Plus any other raw veg or fruit that I find in the fridge.

At this stage, I need help to carry the plate to the table!! :D

Salad is an individual thing - I just eat what I like. Now I'm hungry for salad!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Peppers, carrot, lettuce, cherry tomato, blue cheese, chicken, boiled eggs, cashews. Then some balsamic, caesar or lemon juice and oil for dressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

carrot salad recipe for easy feeding....
    carrots shredded. sunflower seeds that you dry roast on a pan (no oil no nothing) till you start to hear them popping, take off then otherwise they get burned quickly.
    add any combo of oil and vinegar you want. hmm hmm hmm.

cabbage salad.
    shredded cabbage and linseeds (dry roast linseed just like sunflower above and add any combo of oil and vinegar.
    in the past the oils ive addded are hazelnut, olive, extra olive, sunflower, seasame, chipotle, worchester sauce, tobasco sauce, pumpkin, everything and anything thats liquid and tasty is fair game in salads.
    and dont forget to enjoy.

One salad for hot days...
    potato boiled and cut (not suitable for the flowery potato variety though) beetroot I prefer the bottled variety. hard boiled eggs. apples. salt pepper. add all together and hmm.

one ingredient i would recommended everybody to turn their salad into a work of art is one called vegeta. it is a powdered veggies in a salt form. It can be found in any polish shop near to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭lachin

Lettuce, cherry tomatoes, beetroot, spring onion with a spoon of tesco light honey and mustard dressing. Then I quickly fry tinned kidney beans in a splash of soya sauce and lemon juice and add to salad. Seriously tasty!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Today - loads of dark leaves, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, radishes, beet root, feta, Cajun chicken, balsamic vinegar and olive oil. Leaves, tomatoes,cucumber, radishes, balsamic, olive oil are always the basis then I vary between salmon, tuna, chicken (Cajun, cold roasted leg or drumstick), Parma ham. Always lots and lots of meat/fish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 634 ✭✭✭cabb8ge

I had nice salad last weekend....... lettuce, tomatoe, drizzle of olive oil, cashew nuts, warm grilled chicken fillets, little coleslaw & some almond butter.

• Advertisement

conzy wrote: »
    +1 for D'Unbelievables reference

One bullet. Bang bang.
    lachin wrote: »
    Then I quickly fry tinned kidney beans in a splash of soya sauce and lemon juice and add to salad. Seriously tasty!

This may sound funny, but I've never heard of kidney beans being fried. It just never even crossed my mind!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Thin minute beef steaks marinaded in balsamic vinegar and a hint of honey and maybe some soy with the leftover marinade used as the dressing, poached pear, blue cheese, walnuts

Bbq spice pan fried chicken with mayo and watermelon

Tuna in sunflower oil mushed with boiled egg and mayo, feta, cashews/walnuts

All of the above with lots of green leaves ofc ^^

I should totally try and add chorizo to a salad too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Looking at everyone else's salad makes we realise why I am not losing weight.......my salads are enormous! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

A lot of Mexican food has fried kidney beans.. Hadn't thought of adding them to salad! Sounds good :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭PinkLemonade

I'm having salad Nicose tonight, tuna, hard boiled egg, new potatoes, olives, capers, anchovies, green beans, tomato, red onion and lettuce, with French dressing. I'm not sure if it's healthy, but it tastes yum!

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭lachin

One bullet. Bang bang.

This may sound funny, but I've never heard of kidney beans being fried. It just never even crossed my mind!

I've only ever done them that way, I love the hot and cold in a salad

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Spinach, lettuce, strawberries, cheddar cheese, goats cheese, pepper, mixed nuts, olive oil. That's what I had today for lunch anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,488 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Crunchy iceberg lettuce, chicken and ham, red onion, scallions, fresh beetroot, hard-boiled egg, vine tomatoes, fresh coleslaw, small amount of potato salad made with salad cream, cheese and lots of chips. You gotta have chips with a salad.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭ElecKtrA

Aldi have a great ''Super 6'' offers on at the moment...

So I made a nice tasty salad last night which comprised of:

Round lettuce, two hard boiled eggs, cherry tomatoes, sliced cucumber, chopped avocado, sliced ham, some raw red onion and some light Hellmans mayo!!!

I'm not really a salad person..but it's hard to eat a heavy meal when it's a hot..and I'm surprised how full I was after this!!! :)

I think i'll be incorporating a salad into my weekly menu for now on :D

Advertisement