Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Nicky Byrne show with Nicky and Jenny

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

The show is proper radio.... good music, personality and a bit of fun.

Have to say that I'm no fan of west life but Nicky comes across very likable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

zoobizoo wrote: »
    The show is proper radio.... good music, personality and a bit of fun.

Have to say that I'm no fan of west life but Nicky comes across very likable.

I agree. It's the only time of day I turn to 2fm. It's lighthearted fun and not too annoying. And I wouldn't imagine the ten minute takeover is lifted from any particular show really, it's hardly a patented formula that a listener picks a few songs??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭DT100

Madness.

I wanted to give the show another chance, and I don't doubt that Nicky might be a nice guy, but he's not good on the radio.

- Constant name dropping and VOs from 'celebs'
    - Cutting songs off early talking
    - Forced reading from notes
    - No pace to his speech

No, it's not very good. Also, Jenny is far more accomplished broadcaster, yet gets relegated to "The Nicky Byrne Show, with Jenny Green".
    Poor show, with no structure.

Jenny is a much better broadcaster,but then that's what she probably wanted to do as a career.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Joe Doe

Oops69 wrote: »
    That would be a yes , 2fm last had an original idea in about 1987.

There is also a chap on 2FM now who rings a desk bell after each punch line, BBC R2 was doing this on one of their late shows months and months ago, it was not at all annoying.

Also heard some station doing 'dead or alive' which was doing the rounds for years on regional stations the length of the country.

Is there a shop where semi-pre-composed radio shows / ideas can be bought for cheap?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Joe Doe wrote: »
    There is also a chap on 2FM now who rings a desk bell after each punch line, BBC R2 was doing this on one of their late shows months and months ago, it was not at all annoying.

Also heard some station doing 'dead or alive' which was doing the rounds for years on regional stations the length of the country.

Is there a shop where semi-pre-composed radio shows / ideas can be bought for cheap?
    Yes, there was a shop, it had to close as 2fm bought all its stock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Joe Doe

Think there are some voxpops from Westwood's 1984+ show here that could be re-badged (if not already done so), ideal for a Friday's etc - the airhorn still sounds fresh, damn.

http://www.soundboards.com/?view=104

After 50yrs the sfx artist's royalty fee becomes reduced slightly too, bonus!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Longwave Listener

What i don't understand is why the Nicky Byrne show wasn't given a flagship slot like breakfast or drive ? The 11-2 slot it was given didn't really have a ratings problem in the first place.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

What i don't understand is why the Nicky Byrne show wasn't given a flagship slot like breakfast or drive ? The 11-2 slot it was given didn't really have a ratings problem in the first place.

You cant expect RTE to use logic like that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,554 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Joe Doe wrote: »

Dusty Rhodes has tried similar actually, used to sell an Irish language chart show and some semi-sponsored crap ("Corona Hour" I think, although that might have been someone else doing it) to multiple stations.

The BAI frowns on buying programmes though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 817 ✭✭✭ronanc1000

Find Nicky annoying. Is it me or nearly 90℅ of the guests Nicky knows or has played soccer with? Also bugs the **** out of me every time he brings up his so called "glittering" soccer career. Can be full of it at times, he doesnt have that instinct or flair of presenting... His part revolves around introducing songs and taking about his celeb "mates" he'd be lost without Jenny and producer Alan..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

Listening to Nikki for the first time this week, used to be an avid Today FM listener, but like Mr Darcy I moved back to RTE.

I don't mind it too much. It's harmless fluffy midmorning radio!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Does anyone know who the laugh is?
    It's going on way too long now.

No idea... I like the fact that it keeps going though and that they're running a competition where you have to think about the answer.

YEsterday's Mooney show's quiz:
    What is mulled wine made from (a) Red Wine or (b) Orange Juice ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Radio_Fan_67

The Nicky Byrne show with Jenny Greene (as they call it) must be the most unoriginal radio program ever on irish radio, Every feature on the show has been done recently by other shows.

Eoghan mc dermot filling in this week , speaking in English , he usually does the ' as gaeilge ' chart show at the weekends that no one listens to ,must have the most annoying voice on the radio, high pitched and anxious sounding voice, even worse speaking in English.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

He's alright. Decent radio standard banter. Can't ask for more than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

Oops69 wrote: »
    Eoghan mc dermot filling in this week , speaking in English , he usually does the ' as gaeilge ' chart show at the weekends that no one listens to ,must have the most annoying voice on the radio, high pitched and anxious sounding voice, even worse speaking in English.

His voice cuts through me. Has the same tone as Ashton Kutcher used have in the links on Punk'd.

His voice cuts through me. Has the same tone as Ashton Kutcher used have in the links on Punk'd.
    Exactly , nice comparison

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,840 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Anybody else listen to this?

The laugh is still going strong with about 40 prizes up for grabs.

Unreal it hasn't been won yet.

Has it been won yet?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭colinod0806

zoobizoo wrote: »
    Has it been won yet?

Yeah it was Teddy Sheringham I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 lynsey

In all honesty, I was a huge critic of Nicky when he started this show. However given time I think he is proving to be an excellent presenter. Jenny is by far top of her game and they work well together. I think Nicky will be a huge success.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

The song by Hometown gets played every single day on the show. Louie must be having a word in his ear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

How come he's never there on a Thursday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,931 ✭✭✭patrickc

Gwynplaine wrote: »

he's pre recording that quiz thingy for RTE I believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭colinod0806

I haven't listened to this in a few weeks but is it just me or does anyone else think it went stale very quickly?

When it started I thought it was a breath of fresh air but they seem very repetitive now. There is also something about their chemistry that seems off to me. I don't know why but I just think they pretend to get along for show in an Anchorman kind of way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,254 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    patrickc wrote: »
    he's pre recording that quiz thingy for RTE I believe.

That and probably because he's doing a Saturday morning tie in to Operation Transformation. Can't have your DJs working 6 days a week don't you know. ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

flazio wrote: »
    That and probably because he's doing a Saturday morning tie in to Operation Transformation. Can't have your DJs working 6 days a week don't you know. ;)

Jenny does!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,254 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Jenny does!
    Is she live on Saturday nights or is it pre recorded?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,554 ✭✭✭✭L1011

flazio wrote: »
    Is she live on Saturday nights or is it pre recorded?

Definitely live.

Most DJs outside of RTE work 6 days a week, and she started (in paid work) in the commercial sector so she'd be used to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,840 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I haven't listened to this in a few weeks but is it just me or does anyone else think it went stale very quickly?

When it started I thought it was a breath of fresh air but they seem very repetitive now. There is also something about their chemistry that seems off to me. I don't know why but I just think they pretend to get along for show in an Anchorman kind of way.

I still listen to it the whole time.

They're chemistry is legit I think. Best duo on the radio other than Paddy and Ruth at the weekends (who are excellent).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭John Joe Jones

The imaging on this show is bloody terrible, sounds like something from Atlantic 252 in 1997.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭sebcity

I listened a lot this week as Anton Savage is on holidays. It's a fun show, music is great and there's good banter between Nicky and Jenny. Plus, the club sandwich is great. I'll listen more in future

• Registered Users Posts: 37 GenGenie

sebcity wrote: »
    I listened a lot this week as Anton Savage is on holidays. It's a fun show, music is great and there's good banter between Nicky and Jenny. Plus, the club sandwich is great. I'll listen more in future

I agree, its an ok show, Nicky is fairly good and a bit of a natural but Jenny's laugh...omg! So fake, its stops me listening to the show to be honest !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,436 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Is the dance music slot a weekly friday thing or a once off? I listened in today and was impressed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,412 ✭✭✭ofcork

That's weekly a bit of jennys electric disco on a Friday!

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭bodhi085

Is the dance music slot a weekly friday thing or a once off? I listened in today and was impressed.

It's called "the club sandwich"
    Great slot on a Friday afternoon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

bodhi085 wrote: »
    It's called "the club sandwich"
    Great slot on a Friday afternoon.

2 club classics 1 cheesy filling?? That's an old bbc segment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,412 ✭✭✭ofcork

No not the case she plays as many dance classics she can in the half hour.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Mr Sea Wolf

Nicky Byrne doesn't seem to be very commitment to 2fm what with him trying to launch a solo singing career

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,899 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Nicky Byrne doesn't seem to be very commitment to 2fm what with him trying to launch a solo singing career

They don't seem to mind, sure it was them who gave him the Eurovision gig. Plus would he really be much of a loss?

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

All part of the obviously huge contract RTE have him tied to. He is utter muck on both the radio and telly. Zero personality.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 XtraStrong

It seems RTE are happy. He'll get a lot of attention and use it to promote his show. He'll probably broadcast from Eurovision that week with Jenny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Mr Sea Wolf

I wonder what is his salary for the 2fm show?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭I wear socks

Now a Eurovision flop as well as a radio flop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

F**k it he gave it a lash and by all accounts (I didn't see it), he acquitted himself well. What's the point of this dig anyway? Most of your posts seem to be an attack on all things RTE.

He was on a hiding to nothing with the Eurovision so he shouldn't feel too bad about it. I find it hard to dislike the guy tbh. He always comes across as affable / doesn't take himself too seriously type.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭More Music

The hatred/jealousy for people never ceases to amaze me.

He done a good job, the song wasn't too bad. Countries don't vote for us anymore because we've won it so many times. And maybe because some years we do send sh1te.

I wouldn't say he's flopped at the singing lark though.

Ultimately, every country bar one is a Eurovision flop as you put it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭Expunge

More Music wrote: »

Countries don't vote for us anymore because we've won it so many times.

With respect, that strikes me as a daft statement. Ireland hasn't won the thing in 20 years. Maybe it's because most of the acts/songs during that time have failed to capture the imagination of anyone.

It wasn't all Byrne's fault - staging was dull etc. but it was some of his fault.

Like that lottery show he was on for a while on tv - it was a poorly concieved format but Nicky was as charismatic as wet flannel.

2FM has the same listener reach in Dublin as Lyric FM - 6%. That's a shocker and some of that is down to Mr. Nicholas Byrne - entertainer and broadcaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

JoeA3 wrote: »
    F**k it he gave it a lash and by all accounts (I didn't see it), he acquitted himself well. What's the point of this dig anyway? Most of your posts seem to be an attack on all things RTE.

He was on a hiding to nothing with the Eurovision so he shouldn't feel too bad about it. I find it hard to dislike the guy tbh. He always comes across as affable / doesn't take himself too seriously type.

I'd watch it before listening to those "accounts" tbh. Because I have a VERY different interpretation of how he performed last night. :pac:

That said, any time I've heard his show on 2FM I've enjoyed it, I just don't listen to 2FM all that often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Who cares about the Eurovision, even if Ireland won it would not be of economic benefit to the country and it would cost millions.

Cant afford it end of.

• Advertisement
Advertisement