Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD Level 4 personal trainer course

Options
  • 09-11-2014 10:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭

Hi guys

Has anyone done this/doing this at the moment? I think it might be quite new. It seems there is an interview as part of the application process so it looks like they are serious about only accepting serious applicants (which is good to see!).

Any opinions on it? http://www.ucd.ie/sportandfitness/facilitiescourses/personaltrainingcourse/

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

"interview" = marketing speak for "convince yourself you want to give us money"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Hanley wrote: »
    "interview" = marketing speak for "convince yourself you want to give us money"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Hi guys

Has anyone done this/doing this at the moment? I think it might be quite new. It seems there is an interview as part of the application process so it looks like they are serious about only accepting serious applicants (which is good to see!).

Any opinions on it? http://www.ucd.ie/sportandfitness/facilitiescourses/personaltrainingcourse/

Difficult to know as it is new.

They have "accreditation" from the usual suspects and certainly can't be beat on the facilities bar UL.
    If there were details on who is running the course and which individuals are involved it might be easier to give feedback. i.e. is it being run by the UCD Centre for Sports Studies (doubt it), The Student Centre (makes no sense), UCD Sports and Fitness seems to be the body operating the facility in which case this is a new enterprise and a departure from that bodies core competency which is facility management.
    It would be important to establish the credentials of a) who is the course programme manager and b) who is lecturing on the course.
    The cost is the usual €2-€2.5k so nothing new there.

The tepidarium will make it worthwhile anyway ;)
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.342484059173517.81153.337965352958721&type=3

Tbh it sounds like it's brand new, they have no plan and nothing organised yet... Which doesn't mean it'll be a bad course. Just with a start date so far into the future and a lack of concrete information, it's a bit... mneh.

Thanks guys - I guess one to maybe keep an eye on in a year or two when there is some more feedback from those who have done it.

Thanks again :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

Thanks guys - I guess one to maybe keep an eye on in a year or two when there is some more feedback from those who have done it.

Thanks again :)
    imagine what you would get for the same amount of money with a trainer/coach that you mentor or intern with that right now actually has an existing business thats profitable (very few are)??

Do less courses, do more coaches.

Fail to see the difference between any of the levels really and a decent coach could break down their super secret training methods, lead generation tips, nutrition approach etc in an hour session where you actually pay them for their time.

On a side note - interesting how so many people that run these courses like this (and maybe this one, not sure) NEVER actually ran a personal training business or if they did they did it for a very short peroid of time yet feel they have the skill set to teach others about the industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,403 ✭✭✭The Davestator

I know the two guys behind this. One has over 15 years running his own PT business and the other is teaching the sales / marketing module. Most PT's can't sell themselves for shi*t in my experience so this will make this course better than some out there.

I'm not going to 'sell' it here for them as I've nothing to do with it, but they know their stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

I know the two guys behind this. One has over 15 years running his own PT business and the other is teaching the sales / marketing module. Most PT's can't sell themselves for shi*t in my experience so this will make this course better than some out there.

I'm not going to 'sell' it here for them as I've nothing to do with it, but they know their stuff.

Good info. Best of luck to the them.
    Do you know are they employees of UCD Campus Sport and Leisure Limited or contractors?

Interesting to get a feel to see if UCDCSL see longevity in this enterprise.
    I wonder are they trying to do this on a purely commercial basis or attempting to replicate the NCEF in UL.
    Strange market to compete in against NCEF and NTC who both operate nationally. And then of course there are plenty of other course providers in Leinster of varying quality.
    The only thing I can think of is that there must be still some serious wedge going in that market and there is an open tap into public funds through Fas/Solas and other state bodies - easy for a name like UCD to cream it in.

Operational costs and overheads are already incurred.
    25 candidates paying privately or through state funding €50,000.
    Run 4 streams a year.
    Pay two guys €30k each year tu run it and net €140,000 for Director bonuses. :D

(sure it's not as straightforward as that) ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭tastyt

Just a side note, does anyone know or have ever done a course with elite fitness academy in blackrock. I've heard good reports ??

more power to them but really think we have reached the peak of the market with the number of trainers that already exist out there and if those that are currently working as trainers wanted to improve i could think of better ways to spend €2500.

just my opinion and it looks like the course is filling up so hope it goes well for them

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the feedback / thoughts guys :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Mcsharr

Bump* any thoughts on the course

Mcsharr wrote: »
    Bump* any thoughts on the course
    market is even more swamped than it was 2yrs ago - work under a coach you admire rather than doing more courses, IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 7,085 ✭✭✭COH

Transform wrote: »
    market is even more swamped than it was 2yrs ago - work under a coach you admire rather than doing more courses, IMO

This x1,000,000

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Darkest Horse

I don't totally agree with this. Work with a coach, yes; but that really won't do your CV any good in terms of qualifications if you want to work for somebody else. Placing "I paid trainer X one hour of his time for some brilliant info" in the 'experience' section of your CV won't wash with any potential employer who ordinarily won't even know who you're talking about. The experience you get from a non-formalised internship like that is great once you're in a job and able to show your knowledge but it typically isn't worth anything towards getting your foot in the door. Do that coach thing but get a good qualification also. It's my understanding that if you have a degree you can do the CSCS multiple choice questionnaire in one day. What a crock of sh1t but the qualification has some weight (I think) and will likely qualify you for insurance. You can then spend all the time you want absorbing information from good trainers.

I don't totally agree with this. Work with a coach, yes; but that really won't do your CV any good in terms of qualifications if you want to work for somebody else. Placing "I paid trainer X one hour of his time for some brilliant info" in the 'experience' section of your CV won't wash with any potential employer who ordinarily won't even know who you're talking about. The experience you get from a non-formalised internship like that is great once you're in a job and able to show your knowledge but it typically isn't worth anything towards getting your foot in the door. Do that coach thing but get a good qualification also. It's my understanding that if you have a degree you can do the CSCS multiple choice questionnaire in one day. What a crock of sh1t but the qualification has some weight (I think) and will likely qualify you for insurance. You can then spend all the time you want absorbing information from good trainers.

We recently hired a new coach mostly off the back of the external courses, internships and training he's done. I could tell you those off the top of my head but can't remember for the life of me where he did his PT cert. Nor do I care.

Hanley wrote: »
    We recently hired a new coach mostly off the back of the external courses, internships and training he's done. I could tell you those off the top of my head but can't remember for the life of me where he did his PT cert. Nor do I care.
    same applies here

remember OP and darkest horse - we're the people trainers are looking to get to work with so if you aint doing what we're asking of you well then......

i might add that myself and James have probably coached in person more good/recommended trainers in ireland than any other course on offer or at least they've been very strongly influenced by our work, yes i realise how big a statement that is but

get a basic qualification and coaches after that.

Ill judge you by your work/content you post about after you've done the ground work

same applies here

remember OP and darkest horse - we're the people trainers are looking to get to work with so if you aint doing what we're asking of you well then......

i might add that myself and James have probably coached in person more good/recommended trainers in ireland than any other course on offer or at least they've been very strongly influenced by our work, yes i realise how big a statement that is but

get a basic qualification and coaches after that.

Ill judge you by your work/content you post about after that

Agreed. Obviously!

Most commercial gyms won't give a sh*t but no trainers see that as a long term career anyway - so you don't REALLY good bright guys going there much.

The future of the fitness industry is a structure like legal / accounting professions where the cream rise to partner level and share profits. The 1%'ers see that and know the more value they bring to the table the better the long term pay off and career will be. In doing so they understand broad experience and internships win.

Look at any of the big CrossFit players in Dublin or England. It's how they're doing things now too.

I'm just finished 6th this year and hoping to do a course to get qualified first of all. I'm just asking if this a good course to do that with because it seems pretty hands on it being a year long.. I just want the best course to get me off the ground if you have any more in mind you think would be more suitable let me know thanks.

Didn't see the last 4 messages there ^ for some reason but anyway question still applies what are the best courses you's would recommend if it isn't this one?

• Advertisement
Advertisement