Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New England Patriots thread (MOD WARNING - #4503)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Ocho had an uphill struggle joining the Pats as he struggled to learn the complicated system the Pats use. This lead to trust and confidence issues with Brady giving him the ball. On more than one occasion Ocho ran the wrong route or just didnt seem to be on the same page.

I think many including myself hoped he would get it down and get it done in the playoffs but its now at the point not to expect much from him and if he does perform great. The dude has clear ability its down to now knowing the system and getting Brady's trust enough to find him rather than those ahead of him and that is the tall order right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

Don't want to post a large gif in the playoff thread.

BaltimoreRavensatNewEnglandPatriots-2011ConferenceChampionshipsBradyQBSneak.gif

AFC Champs baby!!!

Also thanks to kmart and Paully for recommending The Brady 6. Well worth a watch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Gronkosaurus

Very funny article on Wes Welker. Just a great read that I'd recommend to Pats fans and non-fans alike.
    INDIANAPOLIS -- On the Tuesday before the Patriots played the Jets in last year's divisional playoff, wide receiver Wes Welker was on the phone with his good friend, Mike Smith, a Jets assistant who never passed up a chance at some good trash talk.

Smith recalls Welker mentioning his own brash prediction -- that he planned to plant several hidden references about feet in his weekly media availability as a jab at Jets coach Rex Ryan's personal life.

"Here's what nobody realizes," Smith said during a phone conversation Wednesday. "Rex knew about it two days before. I told Rex about it. We all knew about it -- we just didn't think Wes actually had the (guts) to do it. I thought he'd be too scared."

That, in a nutshell, explains two important aspects of Welker's life. First, he isn't scared of much, as indicated by the way he throws his undersized body around the football field. And then there's this revelation, as discovered by thousands of outsiders in several different situations over the span of the past year: Welker is one ridiculously funny dude.

While the news conference cost Welker a few series in the next game (he was briefly benched for his actions although Ryan was never actually upset), the true resonating legacy of his creative jab might have been the disclosure of a side of Welker some didn’t previously know about.

"He's always doing something different than everyone else to get their attention or make people laugh," said tight end Aaron Hernandez , who neighbors Welker in the locker room. "A dry sense of humor -- more of an a-hole type of humor."

Although in small doses, Welker has slowly come out of his closely guarded shell recently, taking to Twitter on Dec. 20 to ask questions like, "Why do my teammates get naked when they weigh themselves? Does it make that much of a difference?" He has attempted to grow a mustache, while also trying to convince others to join him.

As his personality reveals itself more authentically, Welker says he's been surprised that people have often told him they didn't know he had this side to him.

"It's a shame!" Welker said. "It's been in hiding for so long. Beyond my football ways and my Belichick-type press conferences, I actually have a sense of humor in there. It's been fun to say some funny stuff finally -- get out there and say some things.

"At the same time, I'm trying to keep it clean and understand kids do look up to you."

Consider a few of Welker's all-time classic moves, mostly from college at Texas Tech:

» He and Smith went to a store in Lubbock called Walter's World of Pets, where they purchased two hairless rats that were each a foot long. When they got back to the school's athletic facility, they threw the rats into the running back meeting room (where players were watching film), turned off the lights and locked the door from the outside. "They were screaming so damn loud," Smith said.

» When the circus came to town, Welker and Smith filled up a huge garbage bag of elephant droppings. They then moved the ceiling tiles in a meeting room to the side and hid the bags. The next day, when nobody could stand the smell, former coach Mike Leach went straight to Welker and Smith. "He knew it had to be us," Smith said.

» As Smith learned early, you'd better be prepared for a fight if you want to prank Welker. Once, Smith lit black cat firecrackers in his room, waking up him and "scaring the hell out of him." But Welker returned with bags of flour, which he dumped everywhere, and bottle rockets, which he lit off. After Smith had finally cleaned up the mess, he turned on his ceiling fan. "Wes also put cups of flour on each blade," Smith Said. "Man, it went everywhere."

Welker would make for a great prankster in the pros, too -- if only he had the desire to put time into such antics. He said he thinks up elaborate plots all of the time, but he never ends up executing. Instead, it's his one-liners in the locker room, particularly the ones aimed at his good friend, Tom Brady , that draw the most laughs.

"You know, he'll come in with his UGG boots, and I pretty much just make fun of his life and how terrible it is," Welker said. "You go over and use his toilet and press this button and it sprays water on you. I'm like, 'You've got to be kidding me.' I mean, the thing is heated. It's crazy.

"Sometimes I just want to go over to his house and use the restroom."

As those who know him will remind you, this isn't some new side to Welker. Just because he has been more vocal on Twitter, just because he has opened up a little bit as his career moves forward, just because he took his deadpanned humor public with the infamous foot news conference last year, it's been there all along.

Welker, who is entering a contract year, is just as focused as ever. He's in the prime of his career, putting up more receiving yards (1,569) and touchdowns (nine) than any other season. And he maintains the ridiculously diligent work ethic that has allowed him to ascend from undrafted free agent to one of the NFL's best.

All jokes aside, Welker knows as well as anyone when to get serious.

"I don't think you can be complacent, no matter how far along you get or well of a year you have," Welker said. "You always have to stay on top of things and work even harder the next year."

A little levity, though, never hurt anyone, either. And perhaps as his career flourishes, Welker is realizing it's OK to show some personality once in a while. Seven years ago, while living in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., as a member of the Dolphins, Welker could go anywhere without being noticed.

If he wanted anyone to believe he was an NFL player, he'd need to convince them by providing details. When he had such great success with New England, his level of anonymity was lost -- but his personality still was disguised by his desire to remain quiet. That no longer seems to be the case.

"The ones who know Wes in the NFL know who he is," Smith said. "A little bit of that is coming out now, and I don't think he's been a guy who gets in front of the camera. He's not flashy at all. He does this for the love of the game, but people are seeing more of him."

And as a result, they are seeing the more authentic version -- the one who has so often been disguised by his desire to remain in the background.

Maybe he's growing more confident as a player and a person. Whatever the case, it is most certainly a refreshing tone for those already enjoying his success on the field.

After answering a few light-hearted questions during Wednesday's media session, a reporter then broke into the exchange with a question about the evolution of the way defenses defend the pass. Welker laughed.

"Alright, I guess it's back to the Belichick tone," he said.

Hopefully, not for long.

Follow Jeff Darlington on Twitter @jeffdarlington

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭SK1979

Hey guys

I'm hoping some of the more knowledgable people out there can help me out with a few questions about the Pats. I'm only following the NFL a couple of years properly but still have a lot of blanks to fill in!

Anyway, how are the Pats looking for next season in general? Do they have much room in their salary cap to bring in some new players? What positions do they need improvement in? My opinion would be a new WR who has a deep threat? And some pass rushers? A new Safety? Or cornerbacks?

Did anyone else think Brady had a great game on Sunday? I thought he was brilliant actually, the interception was one of those that surely Gronk would of caught (or at least challenged for) if he wasn't injured? But, how many more good years do you's reckon Brady has as an elite QB? 2, 3 or more?

Is Wilfork going to play on for another year? I absolutely love that guy so I hope he does!

Who are they looking to bring in in the draft? This part I dont understand that well at all, but do the Pats have 2 first round picks this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

If you jump to the Superbowl thread there's been a good few pages dealing with what the Pats need...have a look at it, it'll help you get a good understanding!

After the season Wilfork has had he'll definately be back

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

didnt see your post there. my own thoughts from that other thread:

bruschi wrote: »
    Just reading there too that the Patriots only play 4 teams who made the playoffs this year (Texans, Broncos, Niners, Ravens), and only the Ravens on the road of those 4. The london game gives them a bye at exactyl the mid way point of the season too.

They have $20m cap space to work with. Welker is the obvious free agent that needs to be resigned. A few others too, but Welker is key.

4 picks in the first 2 rounds. I always hate BB stockpiling picks. We stockpile and it never comes to benefit the year after. Even use the 2 first round picks to move up or something, but we need a good draft. Too many times the late end draft picks have been crap.

Being honest, I didnt think we would win the superbowl at the start of the year. but having been in a good position to win it, its disappointing not to. But we are at least in a good position, and should easily make the playoffs again next year. Improve the defence, and tweak the offence, and give it another good rattle next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭SK1979

kmart6 wrote: »
    If you jump to the Superbowl thread there's been a good few pages dealing with what the Pats need...have a look at it, it'll help you get a good understanding!

After the season Wilfork has had he'll definately be back

Thanks guys I actually did read the superbowl thread and saw my q's pretty much answered there (I thought the thread might be full of gloaters..).

What's the story with our running backs? Has BB lost all confidence in Ridley as I thought he's looked good at times?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Some of the Pats fans can prob give you a better answer there, but think Ridley was injured for the Ravens game, and not sure how good to go he was for the SB!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,512 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Just thinking there that Brandon Lloyd is a realistic free agent pickup and he worked with McDaniels at the Broncos so should really fit his offensive system. He might be the answer to our problems. He is only 31 so has a few years left in the tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

SK1979 wrote: »
    Thanks guys I actually did read the superbowl thread and saw my q's pretty much answered there (I thought the thread might be full of gloaters..).

What's the story with our running backs? Has BB lost all confidence in Ridley as I thought he's looked good at times?

Benched for Baltimore game as Belichick had no faith in him after a fumble - I have my reservations about that issue. Seemed to be the same way in Superbowl but Danny Woodhead and Green-Ellis were used more and effectively so.

He had a good season (bearing in mind he's a rookie) and I believe he'll get better.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Benched for Baltimore game as Belichick had no faith in him after a fumble - I have my reservations about that issue. Seemed to be the same way in Superbowl but Danny Woodhead and Green-Ellis were used more and effectively so.

He had a good season (bearing in mind he's a rookie) and I believe he'll get better.

With BJGE and Faulk gone, him and Vereen will both have big roles to play next year.

With BJGE and Faulk gone, him and Vereen will both have big roles to play next year.

I can't see Green-Ellis going anywhere. Surely there must be a contract in it for him?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I can't see Green-Ellis going anywhere. Surely there must be a contract in it for him?

Pats aren't going to pay him a lot, I reckon he could get more elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I hope Lawfirm stays, for his name if nothing else!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

kryogen wrote: »
    I hope Lawfirm stays, for his name if nothing else!

Love the name alright, but the fact that the guy has played 53 games with 510 rushing attempts and never fumbled the ball, now that really does it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

eagle eye wrote: »
    Just thinking there that Brandon Lloyd is a realistic free agent pickup and he worked with McDaniels at the Broncos so should really fit his offensive system. He might be the answer to our problems. He is only 31 so has a few years left in the tank.

As i said in one of the other threads, i'd expect that to happen too, he's all but said he wants to join mcdaniels at the pats

So Randy Moss claims his head is now right and he wants to play football again. Brady has stated that he would welcome Moss back to the Pats, after hearing he wants to play again. If it did happen, I can't see them ever replicating the 2007 season when they linked up for 23 TD's. The guy has also missed a whole season and is now 35, so what's left in the tank?. The deep option would be attractive though, but I think it's a hard one to call.

So Randy Moss claims his head is now right and he wants to play football again. Brady has stated that he would welcome Moss back to the Pats, after hearing he wants to play again. If it did happen, I can't see them ever replicating the 2007 season when they linked up for 23 TD's. The guy has also missed a whole season and is now 35, so what's left in the tank?. The deep option would be attractive though, but I think it's a hard one to call.
    A season off could have done him the world of good. No bangs and bruises for a year would let him get to a higher level of fitness than he has probably had in a couple of years.

He will never have a season like that again but thats not why the Pats would want him. They need a legit deep threat to create room for Gronk, Hernandez and Welker. He won't be targeted anymore than a couple of times a game but it would keep keep the safeties deeper and people don't want to rush the QB either with Gronk and Welker only a dink pass away.

Of course thats all if he still has that speed. There are other options in free agency and quite possibly much better ones than a guy his age. I do think if he does still have it then he would be a great signing on the vet minimum or close to it for the Patriots.

The time away has given Brady the chance to get used to his other options. While he was there Brady didn't seem to want to target anybody else except him and Welker. Coming back now he could be the missing piece on a great passing offense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Id have to be convinced first that he still has the pace to actually trouble the opponents defenses before I'd consider bringing him back, at his age it seems unlikely tbh.

If he would come back, a genuine weapon, then of course I'd have him with open arms.

The threat he would bring alone would make the offense fairly complete imo

The extra space afforded to Welker, Gronk etc, would make a very good offense up there with the best.

Serious amount of proof required though :)

Moss had a workout with the Saints last week and was looking great apparently. NFL Network were claiming that the third team interested in Moss was the Pats. But Moss signed a 1 year contract with the 49ers, after his work out with them on Monday. So that book is now closed.

Good to see they put the franchise tag on Wes Welker, it was obviously a no-brainer. Welker tweeted very positively after the announcement last week. Both sides should now have some breathing space to sort out a new contract.

Free agency starts today and Mario Williams(DE) is my priority man to go for in pass rushing. Belichick won't be interested though if a bidding war starts. Defence has to be the overall priority, with a quality WR thrown in to expand offensive options.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭TimThomas

Moss had a workout with the Saints last week and was looking great apparently. NFL Network were claiming that the third team interested in Moss was the Pats. But Moss signed a 1 year contract with the 49ers, after his work out with them on Monday. So that book is now closed.

Good to see they put the franchise tag on Wes Welker, it was obviously a no-brainer. Welker tweeted very positively after the announcement last week. Both sides should now have some breathing space to sort out a new contract.

Free agency starts today and Mario Williams(DE) is my priority man to go for in pass rushing. Belichick won't be interested though if a bidding war starts. Defence has to be the overall priority, with a quality WR thrown in to expand offensive options.

No way we take Williams. Our cap will take a huge hit on him. Not a chance Bill risks that kind of cap for 1 player.

Mark Anderson hits FA and possibly Lawfirm. Sad to see that.

TimThomas wrote: »
    No way we take Williams. Our cap will take a huge hit on him. Not a chance Bill risks that kind of cap for 1 player.

Very unlikely I know, but he would be the fantasy signing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Unless someone overpays for either, they'll be back. I'd be surprised if at least one of them wasn't resigned.

We've apparently met with Casey Hayward today. An early round pick on a CB? Oh Bill, so predictable!

We've apparently met with Casey Hayward today. An early round pick on a CB? Oh Bill, so predictable!

We do need to improve the Secondary though and he did put on an impressive show at the combine.

Since we never replaced Moss and haven't had a serious down field threat since 2010. Any ideas for a WR? I really like Mike Wallace, he's a restricted free agent and the Steelers haven't tagged him. He might cost a few pound and a 1st round draft pick but I think he's definitely worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Since we never replaced Moss and haven't had a serious down field threat since 2010. Any ideas for a WR? I really like Mike Wallace, he's a restricted free agent and the Steelers haven't tagged him. He might cost a few pound and a 1st round draft pick but I think he's definitely worth it.

Brandon Lloyd has to be number 1 due to his familiarity with the system Josh McDaniels runs. It was looking good last night, both the Pats and being very quiet which led us to assume talks were ongoing, but word is now that Lloyd is visiting with the 49ers :mad:

He's the one free agent outside of our own (i.e. Anderson, Lawfirm) that I want us to get.

Problem now is these deals that the Redskins have given to average WRs and the Megatron deal just up the ante on what Lloyd can be expecting and Welker too.

What do you do now? Give up on making improvements to the D and sign offensive weapons or hold on to Welker which is going to cost more than was expected and then lower your ambitions regarding a deep threat. I dunno how this will go now as the cap is going to be a big factor if you sign both Welker and Lloyd.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Justin10

Steve Gregory on his way to New England

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭TimThomas

Rochey18 wrote: »
    Steve Gregory on his way to New England

Only in talks nothing concrete yet.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement