Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How Bout Dem Bears?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,823 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I haven't watched his interview but now I'm not going to because it will just make me annoyed. I was OK with them holding out the starters in game three (I guess game four for us) even though I'm generally wary of anything too novel or clever like that, tends to stink of Trestman. But whatever, it meant we didn't have major injury issues, so that's grand. But when you forfeit those reps, you also forfeit the right to use the lack of reps as an excuse for being rusty, that's the whole reason you play the starters in game three. I really want to like Nagy so I'm not listening to the interview.

That said he did lots of cool stuff, the problem was nearly everything great we did was either in the first quarter or while Kizer was in. Also I really liked Trubisky's decision making, even when things started to go south. I was very nervous for him at the start but you can see he's learning. There were times where he needed to be more patient about passing before going on the run, and other things like that, but he was fine.

The real infuriating thing is the manner of the defeat though. Because the result is almost exactly what I had predicted, but I never thought it would happen off the back of us going up 20-0. It was embarrassing to watch us lose a game against a team that we manifestly have the beating of. I get that Rodgers was heroic, and proved himself to be worth every penny he is paid and more once again. But it was terrible to watch a team that was dominating the opponents somehow have absolutely no answer whatsoever as soon as those opponents changed up their approach. It showed a lack of in-game inventiveness from the coaches, including Fangio.

I, and others, have been bemoaning the performance of the corners, and it was really depressing to see Fuller with another very wobbly performance. He's capable of being very good, but he's so inconsistent. Makes you wonder about the wisdom of paying him the way we did.

I think the manner of the defeat, and the opposition it happened against, is making it hard to be objective about this result and the progress it might signal. I think next week will tell us which team we saw last night was real, our first quarter team, or our second half team (not really counting the Kizer stuff, he was awful). Seahawks are beatable, so if we're a serious team now, as we're meant to be, a loss is absolutely unacceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭bannerman2005

So after what happened in week 1 are we confident in how the Seahawks game will go.

I presume both Roquan Smith and Mack will see more snaps which should improve the defence. Not sure what to make of the secondary against the Packers. I mean its not the first time that Rodgers has shredded them but I thought this time they could hold on.

Early days for Nagy but the offence has to be able to close games out better. Hopefully Trubisky can continue to improve.

Still excited about the season though. Great to have at least some optimism left.

So after what happened in week 1 are we confident in how the Seahawks game will go.

I presume both Roquan Smith and Mack will see more snaps which should improve the defence. Not sure what to make of the secondary against the Packers. I mean its not the first time that Rodgers has shredded them but I thought this time they could hold on.

Early days for Nagy but the offence has to be able to close games out better. Hopefully Trubisky can continue to improve.

Still excited about the season though. Great to have at least some optimism left.

Fuller blows hot and cold too much for my liking but after last week he better be (and I think will be) coming out with a point to prove. I expect him to to something big, maybe an INT. Either way the secondary needs to step up, no excuses with the front seven they've got. I also want to see more from Floyd, all in all he's been pretty disappointing for a first round pick. He was pretty good in coverage last day actually, and I'm guessing the QB pressure is going to be mainly coming from Hicks and Mack again, but I want to see him get some QB hurries in obvious passing situations as well. Russell Wilson is working behind a bad enough O line that we should be able to make his life absolute hell. And that's what I would consider a success.

Trubisky needs to show better decision making under pressure. It's grand doing well with scripted plays but he needs to be able to see adjustments and be patient with his receivers later in the game. That will take time to develop but another performance like last week and doubts will really start creeping in for me. Last year I remember him taking the team up the field in clutch situations, so he can do it, but last week he just wasn't convincing, at all. The tight ends we've been hearing so much about need to be getting more separation too, so that he can go to work.

Basically if we go out with no excuses and perform for a whole football game, there is no reason on earth to lose to the Seahawks. But until the team do that we as fans have no reason to just trust them on it. We have great players here, at least one REALLY great player. But games aren't 30 minutes long. But I'm predicting a win for us. 24-17

EDIT: Oh, and Nagy needs to wind his neck in, and realise that if you need two yards on third, give the fcuking ball to Jordan Howard, one of the best short yardage RBs in the league.

Well, it's been a very, very quiet week, are we ready to stop looking over our shoulder yet? It really was a crushing loss psychologically. I hope we respond the right way. On paper this looks like a really good opportunity to purge some of the demons from that game. I'm getting a little hyped. Just a bit.

I'm excited to see what we can do tonight with a fully fit and ready Mack and Roquan (looking again at the game, Floyd wasn't that bad really, given he's playing with a club hand, but Kwitkoski was an absolute liability, so we really need Smith up to speed, he looked good the few times he was on the field last day) against a genuinely bad O line. Wilson is a bit like Rodgers on speed in his ability to escape the pocket and make a play though, which is exactly the worst kind of QB for our bad secondary, so we need to be hitting him early.

All I really want from Trubs is signs of some progress, and competence. Be patient going through reads rather than putting the head down and running. And continue not to give up INTs. Tight ends need to start showing something, they've been hyped (and paid) enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,171 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

I love this picture from last night.

HCQ541p.jpg

• Advertisement

Great to see such a completely dominant defensive display on Urlacher night.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,972 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

That was a scrappy game we would have lost in recent years.

Still can't see us making the playoffs unless the unforced errors are eliminated.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,054 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Oat23 wrote: »
    I love this picture from last night.

HCQ541p.jpg

Forgot to put in her scobs - hey it happens, no harm done.

We lead the league in sacks but blitz the least. Beautiful.

https://twitter.com/kfishbain/status/1044602566401757186
    064wb7tyieo11.jpg?width=766&d130c429

Defense is kicking ass and probably going to just keep getting better.

I wasn't too happy on Sunday, but the more I've thought about it the better I've felt. For one thing, who are we to ever take any team for granted? In a league where the Pats lost to the Lions and the Vikings lost to the Bills, any win, anyhow, is to be celebrated, especially when you're a team that has sucked for as long as hard as we have this past decade.

More importantly, as bad as the Cards offense is, their defense is not bad at all. They have some serious players there. This isn't to let Trubisky or Nagy off the hook though: they played right into the Cards strengths, there was one stage where Trubisky put everything, EVERYTHING, straight onto Peterson, like he was looking for him. But the offense did have its moments too. Miller in particular is starting to shape up to be a real WR, not something we've seen too many of in Chicago in recent years.

I don't think Trubisky is likely to turn into a franchise QB, but it is still very early to be dismissing him, as I was inclined to do Sunday. He can make some great throws, I think he is a little inclined towards panic and getting flustered, and he tends to overthrow some big passes to avoid interceptions, especially in the red zone. None of that is good, but it's not grounds for hitting his eject-seat button either. I think we can forget about any Rodgers/Brees ceiling for him, yeah, but maybe an Alex Smith ceiling? I'd be OK with that...hopefully faster than it happened with Alex Smith...

But we're 2-1, it's a long long time since that's happened, or any kind of winning record for that matter. We could easily have been 3-0. We are not by any means likely to win next week, but far stranger things have happened several times this season already. We are in a division whose overall strength is now very much in doubt. No Packers fans have any business describing us as "just the Bears" from here on in, given that they absolutely stank the place up at the weekend. I'm not saying we'll make the playoffs, but for the first time in years and years I'm not already looking at draft position in week 3. That's good, right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

The Bears play the Bucs at home on Sunday. I'd say they are likely to win that?

The Bears play the Bucs at home on Sunday. I'd say they are likely to win that?

The betting has us as favourites apparently, yeah. I shouldn't have said we're not "by any means likely" to win, all I meant was it's certainly no gimme. I might be getting overly cautious but just I don't think we're good enough at scoring touchdowns, and teams still know that once they stuff Howard and Cohen we're in trouble relying on Trubisky right now. Nagy's playcalling, with the exception of the first half against Green Bay and the opening couple of drives against the Seahawks, has not been nearly as inventive as I would have been expecting from him. I think he developing the offense slowly, and allowing the D to keep putting them in good positions until they click, but that process involves losing games too.

Bah, I'm just being pessimistic because of being a Bears fan! We'll win.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭MileHighGuy

I don't think Trubisky is likely to turn into a franchise QB, but it is still very early to be dismissing him, as I was inclined to do Sunday. He can make some great throws, I think he is a little inclined towards panic and getting flustered, and he tends to overthrow some big passes to avoid interceptions, especially in the red zone. None of that is good, but it's not grounds for hitting his eject-seat button either. I think we can forget about any Rodgers/Brees ceiling for him, yeah, but maybe an Alex Smith ceiling? I'd be OK with that...hopefully faster than it happened with Alex Smith

I was listening to the Bill Simmons podcast today, and they are killing Trubisky the last few weeks. Personally, I think he looks like a great athlete, throws a gorgeous (looking) ball, although his decision making is still suspect and seems to throw high when pressured. That said, he started only a handful of games in college, and Chicago went to him very early on last season. To my mind he is still very much in the development/project QB stage of his career, but happens to be starting. Way too early to make a call on him for now either way, but I actually like what he has shown so far.
    I'm not saying we'll make the playoffs, but for the first time in years and years I'm not already looking at draft position in week 3. That's good, right?

For me the Bears have a great chance of taking the North. It's certainly a lot more up for grabs than we believed after week 2!! The Defense is playing lights out, and is likely to keep playing that way. Good defenses can take a limited team a long way, especially come playoff time. The offense has great skill poistion players (Robinson looks like a great pick up at WR) and are only likely to get better as the season progresses.

I was listening to the Bill Simmons

Well there's your problem...

Just kidding, I would probably be leaning towards the optimistic reading you have of Trubs. The really worrying thing for me is how many simple throws he misses, in front of the down line, where he sails the ball high. That is not promising. His athleticism is great but he doesn't have much vision with it at times, like he is still underestimating the speed of the pro game or something. But then he does make some really good throws into quite narrow windows. He needs to get a lot better at going through his reads I guess, it seems like he is playing with the intention of going to his first guy every time, which makes him predictable. Hopefully it is all premature, he only played about, what, 13 college games? And 15 pro games? That leaves a lot to learn. On the other hand, is that the guy you go for with the second pick? Last season I was happy with his progress, but we definitely need to see more, he hasn't shown improvement from week 1 to now, so he needs to show something.

Last year I remember he put the team on his back for a great drive against I think the Ravens, and we all saw a guy who will be able to do it when the chips are down. Haven't seen that guy this year. When the D is on, you just have a feeling they'll take care of things. When he comes on, not so much. For now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Wow! What a fantastic game. We go into the bye week in good shape. Dolphins and the Pats coming up next

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭bannerman2005

That was a refreshing game to watch last night. Certainly delighted with the way the defence is operating. Still worry about the secondary at times but up front that defence is a menace. Hopefully Trubisky can continue to play like that and build on yesterdays performance. The NFC North is up for grabs and for once not looking at the standings and going our draft pick will be good.

tenor.gif?itemid=4783226

It's the hope that kills you.

I never got too high after the Bucs game thankfully. A lot of people really went overboard after beating a bad Bucs D.

So much to dislike today. No sacks was a killer. Bad tackling. Bad calls by the refs that cost us a TD. The fumble by Howard and then the poor coaching at the end. Nagy talked for months about being aggressive and never settling, then goes super conservative at the end.

Tough game next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,438 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

You can say that again... oh wait.

Still top of the division for one more week at least.

Huge game on Sunday. The win would put the Bears at 4-2 with these fixtures next:

vs Jets
    @ Bills
    vs Lions
    vs Vikings

3-1 should be achievable from those. Dare I dream of the Bears being 7-3 going into the Thanksgiving trip to Detroit? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Mack is doubtful for the game on Sunday. Its a tough one, obviously we want him to play and help the team but if he misses Sunday and gets fully fit for the next game it's probably for the best. The pats are back in the swing of things with edelman back to his best. A loss of 7-10 is probable.

Us beating the Patriots would be far from the biggest upset of the year so far or anything, but win or lose our schedule for the rest of the year is really favourable, there's no good reason not to finish the year with eleven wins or more, if we're any good. Big if, though... Defense looked wrecked Sunday with the heat, but the dolphins did the same thing as the Packers in the second half of week one, fast release for short gains, reduces the effectiveness of our pass rush, gasses our front seven and opens up the game as it wears on. Fangio needs to adjust because that's a description of Tom Brady's whole approach to the game, and if you can't beat Brock osweiler at it you sure as **** aren't beating him.

90b499edda9c0958a5e815f7adccfa9b.png

thats-my-quarterback-gif-5.gif

Good win today marred by what appears to be a bad ankle injury (same ankle he fractured a few years ago apparently) to Kyle Long that could end his Bears career. :(

Trubisky is making some improvements but there are still a lot of errant throws in his game. It was very windy today but still. There was one to Gabriel who ran a curl route when the DB gave him 10-15 yards space and it was an easy throw, but Mitch threw it high and Gabriel had to go up and get it. It was still a simple enough catch but if he had been more accurate and drove it into his chest he had plenty of room for YAC.

Resting Mack & Robinson was a smart call. Hopefully they will be back to full health for next week.

Packers loss was good. Hopefully Drew Brees goes off tonight and beats the Vikes which would put up back on top.

Long injury looked bad, would be a huge loss to the line this season but more importantly he had been a great bear, often a few years back he seemed like he was the only one on the team you could say that about. Injuries have hindered what could have been a truly great career, so that it had been only a been really really good one.

Other than that, nice win, against a bad team. Need to do it against someone good obviously, but the defense without Mack looked really on top of their game, and trubisky is improving, though still over throwing the ball on deep throws. The running for first is great, really turning into an extra dimension of our offense, which has lots of dimensions already.

But yeah, the Jets were bad today so no need to go mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

Long injury looked bad, would be a huge loss to the line this season but more importantly he had been a great bear, often a few years back he seemed like he was the only one on the team you could say that about. Injuries have hindered what could have been a truly great career, so that it had been only a been really really good one.

Other than that, nice win, against a bad team. Need to do it against someone good obviously, but the defense without Mack looked really on top of their game, and trubisky is improving, though still over throwing the ball on deep throws. The running for first is great, really turning into an extra dimension of our offense, which has lots of dimensions already.

But yeah, the Jets were bad today so no need to go mental.

The Jets were more than bad today! WR1 and WR2 out, CB1 out, starting centre out, RB1/RB3 out, starting TE left the game in the 1st quarter and a safety playing with a broken had! Then throw Todd Bowles and Jeremy Bates into the situation and its not pretty!!

Glad Mack didnt get the chance to kill Darnold! Hicks is an absolute beast and is just as big a player on that D as Mack imo.

First time I'd watched Trubisky in a while and he came across as wildly inaccurate for a lot of the game, although the wind probably didnt help matters

Top of the division again. At the start of the year I think most people thought this would be a close fought division, but I expected that to be a reflection of 3-4 very strong teams, whereas in reality it probably reflects that nobody in the division is particularly strong right now. I don't think any major contender would fear the Vikings, Packers, or Bears. Lions look to have more rebuilding to do anyway, although that certainly doesn't mean we're any kind of shoe in to sweep them this year either!

But making the playoffs is still in our hands.

• Advertisement

I didn't see the game but I assume there's not too much to take from it?

Bears 5-3
    Vikings 5-3-1
    Packers 3-4-1
    Lions 3-5

The Vikings are on a bye next week, the Bears host the Lions and the Packers host the Dolphins.

Remaining games:

Vs Lions
    Vs Vikings
    @ Lions (Thanksgiving Thursday)
    @ Giants
    vs Rams
    vs Packers
    @ 49ers
    @ Vikings

Advertisement