Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Weightlifting straps.

• 11-11-2014 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭

Hi All,

What are your opinions on weightlifting straps? I am having trouble with my deadlifts and was wondering if they would help, my problem seems to be at the top of the lift, I seem to lose my grip on the bar. Would straps help? Do I need to try to improve my grip strength, if so how should I go about it.

I am not lifting super heavy (150kg) so perhaps I should just keep practicing and let it come naturally.

Any advice/tips would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

Try chalk. If that fails, try chalk and mixed grip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,656 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Have you used chalk? Mixed grip?

Work your grip but if the limiting factor on your deadlift is your grip then it's ok to remedy that.

But do work on your grip strength.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Have you used chalk? Mixed grip?

Work your grip but if the limiting factor on your deadlift is your grip then it's ok to remedy that.

But do work on your grip strength.

What's the best way to improve grip strength?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

I found on my last routine that holding the last rep on the last couple of sets for as long as possible made a difference especially on the top set.
    It was odd because it was the least I've done in years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,612 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

As above, mixed grip and chalk.
    What's the best way to improve grip strength?
    Deadlifts helped me a lot tbh.

Warm up double over as heavy as possible, then switch to mixed grip for the work set. Increase the weight of the heaviest double over each week.
    Depending on how heavy your top set is, you might want to include a final mixed grip warm-up set before the main workset.

This way, I was essentially hitting two PRs every deadlift session. A 5RM double over pull, followed by a outright 5RM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Johnny Drama_11

Cheers all, I will pick up some chalk today and try the mixed grip and report back.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭hadoken13

Felt I should jump on this thread rather than starting a new one. Anyone have any good links as to where to get weight belts i.e. belts for attaching weights to when doing dips, chinups etc.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

hadoken13 wrote: »
    Felt I should jump on this thread rather than starting a new one. Anyone have any good links as to where to get weight belts i.e. belts for attaching weights to when doing dips, chinups etc.?

This is the one I use.

Or this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

If you are waiting on a proper one to arrive you can head into a hardware store, get a length of chain and a karabiner which will do the same job.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

I have been using straps for my deadlifts for the last 4 weeks and they have helped enormously. I was always losing my grip when I got to 130KG. Last night I hit a PB on my deadlift of 165KG using the straps.

The mixed grip feels so weird when I try it. I always feel as if I am not standing in a straight line when I do it. Have never tried chalk though.

Have to say I find straps hinder my grip. That said, it's been a while.

Edit: on deadlifts only.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Have to say I find straps hinder my grip. That said, it's been a while.

Edit: on deadlifts only.

Agree for the most part. Throws me off.

So I got the chalk and changed to mixed grip and the difference is great pulled 160 with no fear of losing my grip.

Thanks all, I am a happy man hitting the hay tonight.

So I got the chalk and changed to mixed grip and the difference is great pulled 160 with no fear of losing my grip.

Thanks all, I am a happy man hitting the hay tonight.

Remember to keep lifting with a double overhand grip until it starts to go. Then switch to mixed.

And try work your grip.

Remember to keep lifting with a double overhand grip until it starts to go. Then switch to mixed.

And try work your grip.

Will do all, most of it tonight was double overhand only switching to mixed as I went over 140kg.

Advertisement