Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vasectomy in Ireland

Options
  • 25-08-2014 8:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭

First of all, my apologies if this is the wrong board to post this in. I couldn't find anything that was more relevant than Health!

I'm a 23 year old man and I've decided to undergo a vasectomy as I have no interest in having children. I suffered from retinablastoma as a child and lost and eye, many women in my family also carry the BRCA1 gene, meaning that if I had a child, the chance of cancer is extremely high.

I'd like to ask if anyone else has undergone the procedure? Is it possible to get it done at my age, given my circumstances or will I be told no everywhere?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

No, you should not be turned down. Approach local clinics directly.
    They may want a GP referral but it shouldn't be needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Eogclouder

biko wrote: »
    No, you should not be turned down. Approach local clinics directly.
    They may want a GP referral but it shouldn't be needed.

Thanks for the reply, I was under the impression that they were very cynical of younger people looking for the procedure as it's quite permanent.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Eogclouder wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply, I was under the impression that they were very cynical of younger people looking for the procedure as it's quite permanent.

Your reason for wanting a vasectomy isn't based on a whim though.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,078 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It's not completely non-reversible anymore either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Mellor wrote: »
    It's not completely non-reversible anymore either.

This is true and makes a vas deferens to your decision

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

Have you had a genetic test for Rb and BRCA? Not all Rb is genetic (a relative of my also had enucleation as a child for retinoblastoma but she doesn't carry the gene, it was just a sporadic mutation). It is possibly worth having all the info before making a decision. Breast cancer is also not only a female disease although it is much less common in men.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭adonai

Hi guys,

Im planning to do one in the near future.

Looking for a decent clinic in Dublin area. Now, I've found these and prepared a little summary.

vasectomyireland dot ie -€450, this includes the semen samples. If you have a valid medical card, then the cost is €350. they do open-ended vas which is good, because I'm afraid of the 'congestion' side-eff. Want to avoid that at all cost and open ended vas has lower side-eff. percentage.

ifpa dot ie Sexual-Health-Services Vasectomy-Clinic Looks pro. Maybe too pro hehe
    Initial vasectomy consultation €100
    Vasectomy procedure €350
    Two semen tests €40 (payable to the Rotunda Hospital)
    Free aftercare and follow-up care (if necessary)
    so this is 500 Euro.

vasectomy-ireland dot com €395 low cost but the website looks freaky hehe... anyone been there?

vasectomyplus dot ie site looks okay. €400.00 + €20 per semen sample [usually x2] and you will pay the hospital directly.
    The cost includes all your after care visits if needed and emergency cover if you have a problem after the surgery.

vasectomy dot ie open-ended. €500. Morehampton This is a total fee, which covers the operation and all post operative management, including all semen analysis. It also covers any additional semen analysis or follow-up. You can choose between no needle/with needle op which is a good sign.

basically you need to set up budget for 500E and u'll be fine.

I'd went an extensive read and from one point there is no connection between lower testosterone/libido after the op, and also higher prostate cancer might be true but this is v low percentage- still u can die more commonly for a stomach cancer...

other side is quite a lot of men reporting chronic pain post op, I understand that this must be higher than stated '1-5%' because if you are ok then its more likely that you would not post about it but when something goes wrong then of course you will rant about it.

And the number of people reporting issues is pretty high - even here I've saw some... so this might mean side effects are quite common and vas is a nice business with nice cash flow [500 euro for a minor op is a nice one] OR a LOT of men are doing this...

from what I've read it seems that:

the risk of getting instant side effects with open ended vas is pretty low, usually it hits 4-10 years afer the op.

*however* if you are sensitive, and got a lot of semen or cases of testicular pain in the past you should seriously reconsider it.

Now, what is 'a lot of semen' FFS..... how does one interpret that lol is that anything to do re age or vigorous sex life etc? Anyone got any info on this pls?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 paulinhio

How'd you get on Adonai?
    I'm all set to have it done now and looking for a recommended doc ...

Apparently I am still saving money to do it, should be possible before August :)

Dr O Keeffe AFAIR is the best one recommended by many. (http://www.morehamptonclinic.ie/html_files/index1.htm)

• Advertisement
Advertisement