Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

Having a foam and fury in black sheep, definitely not as good as the first batch. Disappointing kind of pine-tasting aftertaste

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Drinking a Schlenkerla Marzen in Mulligan's at the mo. It is gorgeous, smokeyness is a little less in your face compared to the bottle, but still plenty smokey. Defo one of my all time favs!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Dead Pony club at the moment followed by a Jackhammer.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Dead Pony club at the moment followed by a Jackhammer.

Say goodbye to your taste buds so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

I see L.Mulligans has Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier on tap.

Not my cup of tea but I know there is a few in here who like it.

thats a first afaik! Ill have to swing by this weekend if possible. Hope it doesnt sell out

• Advertisement

I see L.Mulligans has Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier on tap.

Not my cup of tea but I know there is a few in here who like it.

thats a first afaik! Ill have to swing by this weekend if possible. Hope it doesnt sell out

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Say goodbye to your taste buds so!

I enjoyed it. Not a beer to drink all night but a nice beer to taste.
    Liked the grapefruit after taste. Bitterness lingers for a good amount of time.

If new to IPAs stay away from this.

Had a few bottles tonight.

Porterhouse louder: very nice and a better barleywine than SNs offering i would say.

Founders all day: went back to this, think i might brew a clone of this, just a very well done aromatic pale ale.

Founders breakfast stout: didnt enjoy it as mich as i did last time. A little harsh in coffee flavour department but still very good.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

adamski8 wrote: »
    thats a first afaik!
    Against the Grain have had it a couple of times, but not in ages.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

It would be nice if they had a gravity cask for it. In the end I didn't actually try it though. I had a pint of Redbreast bitter on cask but after eating couldn't drink anything else. Redbreast wasn't exactly the most flavoursome of beers but I find it quite 'sessionable' - a good choice given my thirst.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Ravelleman wrote: »
    It would be nice if they had a gravity cask for it.
    It's not cask conditioned AFAIK, so you'd probably get the full bayerischen Anstich effect if you bought a growler of it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Ravelleman wrote: »
    It would be nice if they had a gravity cask for it.

I don't think you can get it on cask outside of Bamberg. And even then, the casks are unusual oakwood ones and its served via a big old school brass tap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭MonstaMash

Porterhouse Louder, certainly got a kick to it, 11% ABV + it's always nice to be able to support Irish craft brewers/beers.

IMHO I do prefer SN Bigfoot though, just seems more balanced to me.

I think i preferred the louder because it was less balanced. Less sweet?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭matrim

I think i preferred the louder because it was less balanced. Less sweet?

Probably just fresher

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

matrim wrote: »
    Probably just fresher

agreed, probably a matter of a couple of weeks from the brewery, nothing more.

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Andre Salmon

I'm having a very pleasent afternoon. Started with a bottle of Amber Ella, moved on to a jackhammer and now sipping a founders centennial.
    All delicious

Surely fresher equals more sweet?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Porterhouse Plain - though nitro I find it to be a consistently good pint. On the sweeter side of things, which is good, as I'm not a big fan of drier dark beers. We've all tried it but a good 'err day' day beverage, though perhaps not 'err day'.

Having a Headwaters Pale Ale by Victory at the moment. Beautiful beer. Light and refreshing with plenty of hops and a lovely sweet malty finish.

Gonna have an OFAF next. Just to see if it's as nice as I remember. :)

• Advertisement

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Having a Headwaters Pale Ale by Victory at the moment. Beautiful beer. Light and refreshing with plenty of hops and a lovely sweet malty finish.

Gonna have an OFAF next. Just to see if it's as nice as I remember. :)

OFAF in bottle?

OFAF in bottle?

Ha no. I'm on one of the very rare occasions that I'm in town. In the Black Sheep. I can also confirm that it is better than I remember. Cracking beer. Lots of chewy marmalade/orange fruitiness.

sipping on a thronbridge halcyon. It is a great beer indeed, cant believe ive seen these thronbridge beers but never had them until recently, i think i thought i had had them before!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭matrim

sipping on a thronbridge halcyon. It is a great beer indeed, cant believe ive seen these thronbridge beers but never had them until recently, i think i thought i had had them before!

Thornbridge are a very good brewery. Raven is the best BIPA I've had. Bracia is fantastic. Halcyon and Jaipur are both very good beers.

The main problem is that they can be a bit expensive. I love Raven but I'd still count paying €7 a bottle (as I've seen in some places) over the top

In LMulligans ,Ringwood Boon doggle - very refreshing type beer. It's not as citrusy as expected and was slightly sweet.

Only had one as there are many better beers available.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Made a trip to Trim to the Malt House earlier and picked up:
    • Franciscan Well Rebel Red
    • Sam Adams Boston Lager
    • Joker IPA
    • Brugse Zot Dubbel
    • Odells IPA
    • Brooklyn Lager East India Pale Ale
    • Whitewater Hoppelhammer
    • Founders All Day Session IPA

They have a great selection, was well worth the trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Tell me this - what is the 8 Degrees Amber Ella like? I assume it's a Golden Ale or is it a type of Red Ale? Is it similar to anything else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

In brussels on an all day beer tour, was in Cantillon earlier, amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭eurokev

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Tell me this - what is the 8 Degrees Amber Ella like? I assume it's a Golden Ale or is it a type of Red Ale? Is it similar to anything else?

Bit like 5am Saint if you ever tried that, not as pungent as that though.

Its an amber ale, so its a bit like a red ale and a pale ale mixed together. Its a really nice style and one of my faves, well well worth a try

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,965 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Cracked open two bottles of Kinnegar Yannaroddy and it's really drinkable, the coconut essences and the gentle spiciness sitting on it make it just not too much of a session beer without making it a sipper. IMO these guys can do no wrong at all :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement