Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pre pregnancy health advice required.

• 15-05-2014 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi,

My husband and I are going to try for a baby next month. The only thing is I had hoped I would have lost the 2 stone I had set out to. A death in the family threw us all out of sorts and we are now only getting back to some bit of normality.

Is it possible and safe to lose weight if you are pregnant.

I am 4 stone over weight and at my lightest I was down the 2 stone which I now am trying to lose.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. (No mad diets.as I know that is not safe not very healthy eating - no junk food)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

Pregnant women are advised not to diet but to eat healthily - eat your required cams but take them from good sources. There's really too much at stake if you start to restrict your calories while pregnant. Besides which you may or may not have very different eating habits to normal once you get pregnant, it's different for everyone. Some women with severe nausea and/or sickness in the early trimester find they lose a lot of weight anyway, others will have no problems and gain steadily throughout. Others again will find eating well a real struggle. There's really no way to predict how you'll feel. But unfortunately no, dieting while pregnant is not advised at all.

There's no guarantee that you'll get pregnant straight away (hopefully you will!) but there is nothing to stop you from trying and maintaining a healthy eating regime in the meantime. You can still lose weight while eating well, you don't have to drop your calories significantly. Check the stickies for advise on how to eat well - a balanced diet will benefit you and the baby!

When you do get pregnant the hospital will monitor you if you are overweight - it may or may not have added complications, and certain tests (like the GTT) will become compulsory. Best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Trigger2014

Jerrica wrote: »
    Pregnant women are advised not to diet but to eat healthily - eat your required cams but take them from good sources. There's really too much at stake if you start to restrict your calories while pregnant. Besides which you may or may not have very different eating habits to normal once you get pregnant, it's different for everyone. Some women with severe nausea and/or sickness in the early trimester find they lose a lot of weight anyway, others will have no problems and gain steadily throughout. Others again will find eating well a real struggle. There's really no way to predict how you'll feel. But unfortunately no, dieting while pregnant is not advised at all.

There's no guarantee that you'll get pregnant straight away (hopefully you will!) but there is nothing to stop you from trying and maintaining a healthy eating regime in the meantime. You can still lose weight while eating well, you don't have to drop your calories significantly. Check the stickies for advise on how to eat well - a balanced diet will benefit you and the baby!

When you do get pregnant the hospital will monitor you if you are overweight - it may or may not have added complications, and certain tests (like the GTT) will become compulsory. Best of luck :)

Thanks for that. I have started to train to run for a 5k using the apps on my treadmill and ive cut out the junk food.

My concern is being so small as well. Im only 5ft 1 and carry my weight below as im pear shape. I just disappointed in myself and if and when I get pregnant I want to be in the healthiest I can so the baby would have the best start.

Just done my workout so will keep it up!😊

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

Good woman!! I'm 30 weeks now so running is a distant memory for me :) There's a thread over in the pregnancy forum for women who are exercising during their nine months, plenty of people doing 5k and 10k runs. That'll help you psychologically and physically.

I completely understand where you're coming from about wanting to be the best you can be when you fall pregnant, I was still nursing a badly broken leg with very limited mobility when I found out and I felt quite a bit of guilt in the early days. But you'll adapt - you'll eat better, you'll keep exercising (I can't recommend pregnancy Pilates and swimming enough, your body changes SO much and they both help address the specific parts of you that change most - your back, pelvis, core) and mentally you'll do everything you can to make the journey as smooth as possible.

Exercising and eating well is giving you the best shot for successfully conceiving too so stick at it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Definitely start exercising - if you can afford it a session with a personal trainer could get you on the right path to have lost a stone by the time you try to get pregnant. Your muscles and circulation will be better, your posture will have improved and you'll feel great. If you do get pregnant straight away that's great - you can still exercise by doing prenatal yoga or prenatal aqua aerobics or other light exercise if approved by your doctor.

If not next month, then you've another month to keep up the good habits and when you get pregnant you can do a modified version of the exercise you've been doing - again subject to drs orders.

I know that you can join weight watchers while pregnant.

Good luck with your journey!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

One consideration about being overweight going into pregnancy is the possibility of developing gestational diabetes. I was particularly wary of this since I have a strong family history of type2 diabetes, so for my last pregnancy I quit sugar. I think it's important to get your calories from good sources of nutrition rather than to restrict calories.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭GirlatdRockShow

Hey OP,

the http://www.first1000days.ie/ website is a good source of info for nutrition for the before, during and after stages of pregnancy.

Advertisement