Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carlow IT. Physiology & Health Science- Help??

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 J.new

Vista255 wrote: »
    BridgetRB wrote: »
    Fairplay! :) yeah, from Mayo. You? :)

Laois, not too bad yano. i think we start the 12th of Sept? not too sure

Hi,

I'm coming from Meath. So nervous/excited about starting!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Diane123

Ah that's good!! :) Yep I got in too :) Do you live far from Carlow? I really need to find accommodation now -_- ha. Are you planning on doing Physiotherapy or something from this course too?

Yea im so excited now! Thats great ur in too :) Yea I live far away :( Im from Monaghan so long journeys ahead 4 me and I dont know anybody or anything bout Carlow! :( Were r u from? Im actually headin 2 Carlow 2moro 2 look 4 accomadation.. Yea im hopefully going 2 try and get into physiotherapy after Carlow! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35 BridgetRB

Diane123 wrote: »
    Yea im so excited now! Thats great ur in too :) Yea I live far away :( Im from Monaghan so long journeys ahead 4 me and I dont know anybody or anything bout Carlow! :( Were r u from? Im actually headin 2 Carlow 2moro 2 look 4 accomadation.. Yea im hopefully going 2 try and get into physiotherapy after Carlow! :)

I'm from Mayo! ha. I think I'm going to look this week as well! Ah right :) I got Sports Science and Health in DCU as well as this course but think I'd rather Carlow, because it's only 2 years?

I'm from Mayo! ha. I think I'm going to look this week as well! Ah right :) I got Sports Science and Health in DCU as well as this course but think I'd rather Carlow, because it's only 2 years?

I have been ringing houses 4 an hour now and they are all gone, except one! Yea I think Carlow is going 2 be great! Do u know where u r going 2 get accomadation?

I have been ringing houses 4 an hour now and they are all gone, except one! Yea I think Carlow is going 2 be great! Do u know where u r going 2 get accomadation?
    Full already? Oh dear :/ haha. No I've been looking at a few but haven't rang or anything :/ Where are you looking at?

• Advertisement

Full already? Oh dear :/ haha. No I've been looking at a few but haven't rang or anything :/ Where are you looking at?

Yea couldnt believe everything was nearly gone! I looked at a few houses close 2 the college but most are gone.. so gona look in2 digs mabye? There r some within 5 mins walking distance 4rm the college.. Going 2 look at them 2moro :)

Well I'll try a few as well and if there's any decent ones I'll let you know? :)

Well I'll try a few as well and if there's any decent ones I'll let you know? :)

Yea thats gr8! Ill let u know how I get on as well when I view some! Excited! How long would you have 2 travel from Mayo then? :)

Yea thats gr8! Ill let u know how I get on as well when I view some! Excited! How long would you have 2 travel from Mayo then? :)

Sent you a private message there :L

• Registered Users Posts: 3 littlerdee

I did that course a few (too many!) years ago. Its a great course. Tough at times but worth it. A lot of my friends went on to do physio/OT/chiro etc from it so the opportunities that way are fairly good. Carlow is probably the best place in the country to go to college! Enjoy :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 jenson G

Hi i waz just wondering you know the way you can do courses in UK like radiography ,physiotherapy etc after doing Physiology and Health Science .
    But saw this
    http://www.whatuni.com/degrees/courses/degree-courses/medical-radiology-degree-courses-united-kingdom/m/united+kingdom/r/8852/page.html

it says you can do radiography just for 280 tariff points ,therefore i was bit confused why would people do physiology and health science, instead of goin straight to uk through UCAS.

Could anyone expain it to me, i want to do radiography and doing leaving cert this year :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

jenson G wrote: »
    Hi i waz just wondering you know the way you can do courses in UK like radiography ,physiotherapy etc after doing Physiology and Health Science .
    But saw this
    http://www.whatuni.com/degrees/courses/degree-courses/medical-radiology-degree-courses-united-kingdom/m/united+kingdom/r/8852/page.html

it says you can do radiography just for 280 tariff points ,therefore i was bit confused why would people do physiology and health science, instead of goin straight to uk through UCAS.

Could anyone expain it to me, i want to do radiography and doing leaving cert this year :)
    Well, there are those two routes you mention to doing Radiography either here, or in the UK, but applying through both will double your chances of a place.

Using this table, you can see how the LC grades convert over to UCAS points. If you have enough to do it there, and here, you should apply for both. The advantage that doing the Physiology & Health Science course, is that you will have a base to work from by doing third level modules, like anatomy, physiology, pathophysiology, physical sciences. These will be a great help in furthering your studies towards a Radiography degree.

It even mentions on the IT Carlow website about the course: "This course has established itself as an avenue for study to degree level in the allied health professions and other degree courses in the UK."

My best advice, would be to speak with your guidance counsellor in school about it, and come to a decision yourself.

I never done that course myself (Physiology & HS), so I cannot tell you anything specific about the progression afterwards. Hopefully this will be at least helpful to you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭mickeyodee

littlerdee wrote: »
    I did that course a few (too many!) years ago. Its a great course. Tough at times but worth it. A lot of my friends went on to do physio/OT/chiro etc from it so the opportunities that way are fairly good. Carlow is probably the best place in the country to go to college! Enjoy :)
    hi,ive got an interview for this course in may and was just wonderin how does the interview work,wats it like do i need references etc.? any info would be sound,cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Undecided95

Just wondering if anyone knows is there anyway you can apply for physio/ot in ireland after you complete this course or do you have to go to the UK???

• Registered Users Posts: 3 littlerdee

Just wondering if anyone knows is there anyway you can apply for physio/ot in ireland after you complete this course or do you have to go to the UK???

hi! Way back when I did the course you could only get into physio in belfast if you wanted to stay in Ireland and you would have to be getting very good results as that was one of the hardest unis to get into. i did the four year degree and a lot of the people i graduated with went on to the UK for a masters in physio. some people did do physio in Ireland after the degree course too but would have had to do an extra two years vs going to England for a masters. things might have changed since so it'd be worth ringing the course contacts and they'll be able to guide you on it. best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Undecided95

littlerdee wrote: »
    hi! Way back when I did the course you could only get into physio in belfast if you wanted to stay in Ireland and you would have to be getting very good results as that was one of the hardest unis to get into. i did the four year degree and a lot of the people i graduated with went on to the UK for a masters in physio. some people did do physio in Ireland after the degree course too but would have had to do an extra two years vs going to England for a masters. things might have changed since so it'd be worth ringing the course contacts and they'll be able to guide you on it. best of luck!

Thanks a million! Did you do the degree in Belfast?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 BOD_IS_GOD_13

Hey could anyone tell me if you do this course that you are certain to get into the sport rehabilitation and athletic therapy course in carlow it?

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭flynnser19

I emailed the IT and they said to do this first and then go into the 2nd year of the rehabilitation course so it can be done!!Im a mature student so they were giving me the best options for enxt year!!

Advertisement