Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carlow IT. Physiology & Health Science- Help??

Options
  • 24-05-2012 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hey I'm thinking of doing this course as a back door into Physiotherapy, am I nearly sure to get a place in England after 2 years? :confused:
    What is the College like?
    I was really hoping to go to Dublin but with 2 weeks til the Leaving Cert I highly doubt I'll get the points I need for the course in Dublin.
    What is the area like in general? I've never been to Carlow... It would be much easier to do this course in Sligo but I'd like to move a bit further away.

Any info would be appreciated ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭RealistSpy

I don't know much about the course but I know but of the Physio students love it plus they have brilliant lecturers. :)

Regarding the area, Carlow is nice and the College is great you will make friends really quick down here.

Anyway good luck with your leaving cert ;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

There is a thread in here called Physiology & Health Science (cw106) that has a lot of information in it. Some of those last posts are very informative :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35 BridgetRB

Ok, thanks for the help! :) Hopefully I'll be there in September ;)

Hmm think the points will go up for the course this year? :/ I'm hoping they wont... 410 last year wasn't it?...

You'll be in there, with a bit of luck ;)

I dont really know, but looking at that course title on the online prospectus, it says the cut-off point was 405 last year.

• Advertisement

You'll be in there, with a bit of luck ;)

I dont really know, but looking at that course title on the online prospectus, it says the cut-off point was 405 last year.

If I don't manage that I'll be disappointed, but still, haven't done half enough studying. I try, but it doesn't happen :( :L

Have some belief and you'll be grand, just do what you can! Sure you'll probably be giving advice to people looking to do the physiology & health science course yourself!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 surrealsounds

Hey there!

Alot of my friends did that course so I can tell all you need to know! Plus, let me tell you one thing, Carlow is Ireland's best kept secret ;) Check out this video for last years RAG week - "IT Carlow RAG Week 2012" on Youtube.. Carlow has the Foundry Nightclub which has Europe's BEST L.E.D. lighting systems (they are unreal) and it's like 2nd/3rd biggest club in Ireland... I'm from Galway so I've come a LOOONG way to be in Carlow cause it was the only place that had my course specifically and I've never been happier.

As for your course, at the end of second year you will look for interviews with a number of colleges. Some of them will need an average of 65% in your end of year results or something similar depending on the popularity of the college. You might then get an interview with all/one of the colleges and they will decide if they want you. Sometimes its a Skype interview, sometimes you gotta get on a plane. You'll probably have someone with you though heading over.

The physio's are really popular cause they are all usually really decent people, down to earth and great craic. Also they are FAMOUS for having a spectacular course Ball during the year which half the college will attend! Any Qs? :)

By the way, I wasn't in that course but lived with my friends who were doing it when we were in first year and I thought the notes were detailed but really interesting. Think Honours Biology but mostly about the body so more detail!

Sandy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Vista255

Just got offered this course today cause i did a FETAC Level 5.. F*%#ing delighted haha

Hey there!

Alot of my friends did that course so I can tell all you need to know! Plus, let me tell you one thing, Carlow is Ireland's best kept secret ;) Check out this video for last years RAG week - "IT Carlow RAG Week 2012" on Youtube.. Carlow has the Foundry Nightclub which has Europe's BEST L.E.D. lighting systems (they are unreal) and it's like 2nd/3rd biggest club in Ireland... I'm from Galway so I've come a LOOONG way to be in Carlow cause it was the only place that had my course specifically and I've never been happier.

As for your course, at the end of second year you will look for interviews with a number of colleges. Some of them will need an average of 65% in your end of year results or something similar depending on the popularity of the college. You might then get an interview with all/one of the colleges and they will decide if they want you. Sometimes its a Skype interview, sometimes you gotta get on a plane. You'll probably have someone with you though heading over.

The physio's are really popular cause they are all usually really decent people, down to earth and great craic. Also they are FAMOUS for having a spectacular course Ball during the year which half the college will attend! Any Qs? :)

By the way, I wasn't in that course but lived with my friends who were doing it when we were in first year and I thought the notes were detailed but really interesting. Think Honours Biology but mostly about the body so more detail!

Sandy :)
    Thanks very much for the info, results in 2 days! Really hope I get Carlow! :)

• Advertisement

Vista255 wrote: »
    Just got offered this course today cause i did a FETAC Level 5.. F*%#ing delighted haha

Ah very good! I got my results yesterday and got well over what I needed so looks like I'm heading for Carlow! :D

Also, anyone got any ideas on good accommodation near the IT? Shared? Could do with meeting a few people as no one I know is going to Carlow!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 J.new

BridgetRB wrote: »
    Also, anyone got any ideas on good accommodation near the IT? Shared? Could do with meeting a few people as no one I know is going to Carlow!

Second that. I think ill be doing this or sports science in September.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Diane123

I got 410 i my LC and im sooooooo worried im not going to be accepted now for physiology and health science cause points have been rising by 5 over the last 3 years! :(

Diane123 wrote: »
    I got 410 i my LC and im sooooooo worried im not going to be accepted now for physiology and health science cause points have been rising by 5 over the last 3 years! :(

I'm sure that'll be enough, cut off point was 405 last year! Best of luck! Can't wait now! :)

J.new wrote: »
    Second that. I think ill be doing this or sports science in September.

I've looked at a few, but I dunno...Have you looked into it much?

I'm sure that'll be enough, cut off point was 405 last year! Best of luck! Can't wait now! :)

I hope so, really want that course! We'll c what Monday brings.. Good luck 2 u 2! :)

I hope so, really want that course! We'll c what Monday brings.. Good luck 2 u 2! :)

Let me know how you get on! :)

GOT IN!!!! What bout u? :)

GOT IN!!!! What bout u? :)
    Ah that's good!! :) Yep I got in too :) Do you live far from Carlow? I really need to find accommodation now -_- ha. Are you planning on doing Physiotherapy or something from this course too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 shelly90

Got offered Physiology and Health Science 2!!! but also got offered the Sports Science course, don't know wat to go for now?

id apply for Southern Gardens for accommodation , i got a room there 2 weeks and its grand, living with 8 other people, the crack will be had! id advice yee to go to carlow and look in the estates theres signs up on the windows with numbers to ring! Excited for this course! :D

shelly90 wrote: »
    Got offered Physiology and Health Science 2!!! but also got offered the Sports Science course, don't know wat to go for now?
    Depends what you want to do after I guess?

id apply for Southern Gardens for accommodation , i got a room there 2 weeks and its grand, living with 8 other people, the crack will be had! id advice yee to go to carlow and look in the estates theres signs up on the windows with numbers to ring! Excited for this course! :D
    Are you just going into the first year of it yes? :L Ah I can't wait to start! No one I know is going to Carlow :L

Are you just going into the first year of it yes? :L Ah I can't wait to start! No one I know is going to Carlow :L

yup! went through the FETAC route and got accepted, got ****e leaving cert points last year and did well this year :D.. you travelling far to carlow?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 shelly90

ah i wouldn't worry too much about not knowing anyone as there be loads of people in the same boat as urself! i myself don't know anyone going down there either, had never even been to carlow before last week!

shelly90 wrote: »
    ah i wouldn't worry too much about not knowing anyone as there be loads of people in the same boat as urself! i myself don't know anyone going down there either, had never even been to carlow before last week!
    Ah ya I'm not too worried about that :) just need to get on to the accommodation now

yup! went through the FETAC route and got accepted, got ****e leaving cert points last year and did well this year :D.. you travelling far to carlow?
    Fairplay! :) yeah, from Mayo. You? :)

Laois, not too bad yano. i think we start the 12th of Sept? not too sure

• Advertisement

Laois, not too bad yano. i think we start the 12th of Sept? not too sure
    Ah right :) Oh god that's so soon need to get organised! Haha